REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 02-09-2017, 11:57 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
iPhone 8/8 Plus/X & iOS 11

never too early to start a rumour thread on the upcoming 10-year anniversary edition, colour me interested. Hope it's not 5.8" as rumoured.

Anni version is the flagship model with OLED. Price will be in the 4-figure territory, USD.

all three models (vanilla, plus, anniversary) will have glass back and wireless charging.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/09...less-charging/
Advertisement

Last edited by twitchyzero; 09-20-2017 at 01:56 PM.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 02:43 AM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
PCs went mainstream in 1993 with the Pentium I. In 10 years the average price dropped roughly 40%. In the same time span, smartphones managed to double in prices. Someone please explain the logic in this.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:20 AM   #3
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
if you look at the Console price is going up. Not by much but is going up. The reason why it is going up is because you there isn't a 3rd party that makes them (Xbox made by Microsoft PS by Sony Nintendo Switch made by Nintendo). While Gaming PC there are lot's of different company making the same thine IE Dell, Sony, HP, Asus etc etc.. also people can easily build their own PC since there are of retailers out there that sell parts. In order for PC makers PC hardware makers to stay in market they have make sure their product is reasonable price.

Then you have cell phone which again much like console only a few brand actually makes them Samsung, Apple, LG, HTC etc etc. There is much competition. That is why console and cell phone price will keep going up. There are more manfacture now that makes cell phone but their product is not really ground breaking. If you look at the more successful 1+ they are still using 1080p display, no curve display, No OLED, design is average. A lot of the smaller company their design isn't ground breaking, good sepcs but it lacks marketing.

Cell price will go down but for that to happen people needs to start moving away from the big brand and start looking into smaller brand. That likely won't happen because the average customer usually buys their cell phone from a cell phone provider which only carries big brand name cell phones.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:30 AM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Game consoles have pretty much stayed the same when adjusted for inflation. A Nintendo wasn't exactly cheap in the 90s at $200 bucks back then. On the software side games have never really been cheaper. I remember N64 games being around $100 sometimes. There's so many sales now that within the year you'll get the game you want for $30.

Phones have gotten crazy. While it's true they've gone beyond just being a phone and they are adding more tech, they are making a killing on these $1000+ phones.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:26 AM   #5
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Agreed. Remember how much 200$ for a nintendo was? That was a huge price tag back then. Now you can get xbone for $299ish. Much more affordable. Cell phone prices are insane though. Especially since all the pricing is really based on "gigs"
Iphones go up by hundreds of dollars just to double the memory. I don't understand how simply changing the storage chip can double the price of a phone (32-128gig)

Berz out.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:53 AM   #6

Well they can enjoy it while it lasts cause no one stays on top forever. Just like Sony was unstoppable in the 80s and early 90s, Nintendo was King of consoles, Apple and Samsung will one day not be the best selling smartphones.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:57 AM   #7
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
i wish we could just start building smart phones and just have to replace components every X years instead of the whole damn thing at once
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2017, 12:19 PM   #8

The thing with these phones is that you don't really need to replace them as much as people do. I'm still using my 3 year old Nexus 5. There's nothing that I NEED that the new phones offer, but I'll admit they are nice.

This just so happens to be a product where people are willing to buy every year or so, which isn't surprising because what do you use more than your phone?
Old 02-10-2017, 06:06 PM   #9

some guy in the MacRumors comments was saying $1000 over 3 years is only buck a day

with 2 year-plans and how much time people spend glued to their phones they can easily justify the purchase regardless of their income level

I still believe something as common as a phone should not have the pricing exceed inflation. Professional gear where it takes a lot of R&D, sure...but not a daily communication device just because the BoM increased slightly.

I'm just excited to see big changes in the iPhone again if rumors are true.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:56 PM   #10
My homepage has been set to RS

just wondering if you guys think because its iphones 10th anniversary. they are just going to name it iphone10 and skip 8 and 9 ?

O o
/Ż/___________________________ _ __/
| SHOOP DA WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!!
\_\ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ Ż ŻŻ\
JHuJHu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:17 PM   #11
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Average price of a PC has come down but not on the high end. You can easily exceed $3000 building a high end PC when you can buy a $500 Dell is more than good enough for everyday needs.

It's the same with phones. The high end hasn't really gone up or down. At $1195, the most expensive iPhone actually cost a little less than the Nokia 8890 that I paid $1000 for when adjusted for 16 years of inflation. The low and mid range phones have come down in price. If you don't look at the iPhone, you can get a new smartphone $200. A $500 phone is more than adequate for everyday tasks.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:05 AM   #12

high-end PC market has fucked up prices mostly because of greed

hard drive makers are known to price-fix...the flood in SE asia only affected production for less than a year but they kept prices inflated for well over 2 years

Intel's flagship CPU costs $2000, because no competition.

Nvidia flagship card costs $1600, because no competition.

I agree, if these corporations keep increasing price with incremental upgrades and hubris, they'll eventually run out of luck and loyalty and crumble like the titans of yesteryear...Sony, Nokia, 3dfx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHuJHu View Post
just wondering if you guys think because its iphones 10th anniversary. they are just going to name it iphone10 and skip 8 and 9 ?
slotted above vanilla and Plus I think it's logically to assume it'll be called the iPhone Pro? rumor mills are calling it the iPhone X but I doubt that'll be used.

Last edited by twitchyzero; 02-11-2017 at 12:17 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2017, 03:09 AM   #13

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
Average price of a PC has come down but not on the high end. You can easily exceed $3000 building a high end PC when you can buy a $500 Dell is more than good enough for everyday needs.
10 years ago, I don't think it was even possible to find an average PC for $500.

Last edited by Spoon; 02-11-2017 at 03:22 AM.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:02 AM   #14
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
I'm guessing Apple is going to make a separate line for the new iPhone while keeping the 7s going as a tradition.

It makes little sense for it to introduce 7s and 8 simultaneously. Most likely they are going to call it iPhone X, Air, Pro or some shit like that.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:04 AM   #15
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
The thing with these phones is that you don't really need to replace them as much as people do. I'm still using my 3 year old Nexus 5. There's nothing that I NEED that the new phones offer, but I'll admit they are nice.

This just so happens to be a product where people are willing to buy every year or so, which isn't surprising because what do you use more than your phone?
^agreed, when smartphones first came out they were slow and had lots of room for hardware and software development so i could see why people would upgrade regularly.

These days the improvements are incremental and mostly software, I don't see the need to upgrade as regularly. I think people have gotten caught up in the upgrade cycle for no reason.
Kamui712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:02 PM   #16

Samsung is supplying the OLED, not LG (which I believe only make TV/monitor displays)

Apple Orders 160M iPhone 8 OLED Panels | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Last edited by twitchyzero; 02-13-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:46 PM   #17

going universal with USB-C makes so much sense..hope it's true
curved screen...that rumour is older than Tim Cook himself

iPhone 8 to drop Lightning connector in favour of USB-C port, making everyone buy new accessories, claims report | The Independent
Old 03-02-2017, 08:37 AM   #18
My homepage has been set to RS

^it is not going to way of USB-c it will keep the lightning and use USB-c fast charging capabilities.
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:28 AM   #19

I think it makes perfect sense for them to go USB-C... after all, Apple basically designed USB-C and it went all in with newer macs.

The reasoning is more clear when they introduced USB3 capable hardware on iPad12.9. The hardware itself is capable, but the port isn't as well as the current lightning cables (it doesn't have enough pin configuration to go superspeed USB). So instead of introducing lightning 2, why not go with USB-C directly. Assuming it builds the necessary specs, Apple can have extremely fast charging (USB-C is rated for 100w/5amp both way, vastly superior to the roughly 30w/2.5amp lightning is capable of delivering)
Old 03-02-2017, 06:11 PM   #20

I can't see Apple going USB-C quite yet as they make a shit load from people paying for the right to make lightning cables.
Koflach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:55 PM   #21

By going lightning 2, current iOS users complain and still the same target market, how much more can earn by MFI licensing is relative to iOS devices sold.

By going USB-C, current iOS complain but make current modern Android users (assuming they already invested in cables to charge their modern Android phones) one less thing to worry about when switching. Lose MFI licensing for good.

These are the 2 options and their respective scenario. I'd believe if Cook is at least reasonably adequate as a CEO, selling more iPhones would be WAY more important than selling more lightning cables.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:44 PM   #22
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
lightning is thinner than usb c.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2017, 07:37 AM   #23
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Will Apple use the Intel chipset as they did on the 7?

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:13 AM   #24
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Leaked schematic

Renders based on leaks

Last edited by scoobyej20; 04-18-2017 at 12:18 AM.
scoobyej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:09 AM   #25

I'd be surprised if Apple had no bezels at all like the bottom renders. The top pic looks more likely.