REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-14-2017, 02:20 PM   #1
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Bringing gas (jerry cans) over the border

Did a bit of a search and found this thread but it didn't really answer my question. Found a few threads on RFD as well but they weren't particularly useful either

I've had my Nexus for 4 years and have been going down to the states to pick up parcels/get gas every 1-2 weeks with some regularity over those 4 years. Today is the first time I got hassled over bringing jerry cans back so I'm trying to find some clarification. For the record I brought back 2 jerry cans, 20L each. (off topic but the savings is about 25-30c/L for premium so with the jerry cans and the amount of gas in my car's tank, it's about a $20-25 savings each time)

What the CBSA officer said:
- The amount in the jerry cans must be declared in liters/dollar value, it is taxable (no issue there)
- The max I can bring back is 4 containers (she didn't specify what the volume was)
- Since I'm driving back to Vancouver, I can't drive through the Massey tunnel with jerry cans and must take the Alex Fraser. Otherwise if I'm pulled over it would give me issues as I'm carrying "prohibited goods" (in her words)

It's with this last point that I'm confused about and finding it difficult to get a clear answer on. A few things I found but I'm not sure if they directly relate to my issue:

- Transport Canada: exempt from Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations if under 150kg and carried in an approved means of containment.
- Transportation Act: Tunnel Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulation. Specifically points out Massey Tunnel as a prohibited area for transporting means of containment without placard required under s.4.15 of TDG Act
- TDG Act S.4.15 talks about large means of containment and doesn't seem to be applicable to my situation (or most people's situation when discussing jerry cans)

Wondering if anyone has experience with this or can pick the brain of a CBSA/PO that is more familiar with the topic
Advertisement
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2017, 03:27 PM   #2
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

After reading the links first two links you provided, I'm guessing the CBSA officer had this in mind:

The BC Transportation Act (Tunnel Transportation) refers to the Canadian TDG regulations with regards to the definition of containment (and it seems that that each 20L jerry can is within regulations); however the BC Transportation act seems to supercede it by stating "a person must not transport any means of containment in a prohibited area (Massey tunnel) at any time" unless you have the permit.
cdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:48 PM   #3
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,437 Times in 376 Posts
But did you drive through the Massey Tunnel afterwards anyway
'06 BMW 330i [RIP]

'02 BMW M3
'99 Honda Civic SIR [sold]
'19 Civic Type R[sold]
'22 MINI Cooper SE
My Photojournal: simplexcars
Simplex123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:22 PM   #4
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
150kg is the exemption, almost any jerry can is good to go.

sounds like shes new and just read the transport rules.

waste of time imo. I declare $100-300 worth of packages all the time through nexus and they dont bother taxing me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2017, 05:23 PM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
When I crossed the border from my previous experiences, I only got pulled in once, only to get taxed on 4 Jerry cans of gas.

All the other times I'm very broad with my declarations by only saying groceries and gas followed by the declared value.

Each can had a 25 litre capacity.

EDIT: This is with a Nexus pass
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:46 PM   #6
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie. View Post
150kg is the exemption, almost any jerry can is good to go.

sounds like shes new and just read the transport rules.

waste of time imo. I declare $100-300 worth of packages all the time through nexus and they dont bother taxing me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRNammer View Post
When I crossed the border from my previous experiences, I only got pulled in once, only to get taxed on 4 Jerry cans of gas.

All the other times I'm very broad with my declarations by only saying groceries and gas followed by the declared value.

Each can had a 25 litre capacity.

EDIT: This is with a Nexus pass
Hmm i didnt get taxed but she just felt the need to point it out I guess. 40L is probably not worth their time to tax either.

Shes definitely not new though, middle aged blonde lady at the Boundary Bay CBSA, but I can back up the statements made with the audio from my dashcam.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:16 PM   #7
I don't get it

that's not as bad as one cbsa officer told me, "you're going to EXPLODE man!".

in my mind, i was thinking...you haven't talked to anyone who brought over a jerry can before?
a00755836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:20 PM   #8
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
I've never been questioned for the amount of gas i bought back in jerry cans. One time, the officer said i must have it secured in the trunk via bungee cords. Nexus lane as well and 2 20L.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 03:02 PM   #9
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

This also happened to me once where CBSA told me that I'm prohibited from going through the Massey Tunnel while bringing back gas in a jerry can. Just say you're going via a different route and you'll be fine.
db2 #51 - garage queen/summer daily
golf mk3 - 2016 winter beater [sold]
ae92 - 2017 spring beater
Cillu is offline   Reply With Quote