REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-26-2017, 07:26 AM   #26
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
I'm failing this Timpo-like-attempt at a thread starter...
Advertisement
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:46 AM   #27
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,828 Times in 2,512 Posts
just de-badge your car and you don't have to worry about brands

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:24 AM   #28
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
I do appreciate how badhodz is giving us some insight on how some Vancouver people think....I am sure we have all thought about this to some extent.....let's face it, like it or not, cars are a personal statement no matter if you like it or not...
I honestly think this is not as common as you think. Maybe in your circle of friends, which I have to assume is a shallow circle simply based on what I know about you. It's kind of sad actually, like your possessions are the only thing you have to offer.

Do you see the majority of other RS members listing out their cars in their sig? Not a lot of folks do because owning a car is no longer an accomplishment. Let's face it, the bank's money is cheap these days so it's easy for someone with a job to get financing. Where is the pride in spending most of your take home pay leasing a luxury vehicle? Where is the pride in selling your house for a windfall of a lifetime, and blowing your profit on an exotic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
I like how piece of shit, cheap as fuck Fiat is considered the upper echelon of mainstream brands.

so true.
Fiat is nothing more than a dodge, designed by Italians, and made in America using Chinese parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gucci Mane View Post
Seriously, wtf is it with dodge guys and always having the mirrors flipped up?
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2017, 09:53 AM   #29
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
I honestly think this is not as common as you think. Maybe in your circle of friends, which I have to assume is a shallow circle simply based on what I know about you. It's kind of sad actually, like your possessions are the only thing you have to offer.

Do you see the majority of other RS members listing out their cars in their sig? Not a lot of folks do because owning a car is no longer an accomplishment. Let's face it, the bank's money is cheap these days so it's easy for someone with a job to get financing. Where is the pride in spending most of your take home pay leasing a luxury vehicle? Where is the pride in selling your house for a windfall of a lifetime, and blowing your profit on an exotic?

so true.
Fiat is nothing more than a dodge, designed by Italians, and made in America using Chinese parts.

[IMG][/IMG]
Yes you are right I am shallow and so are all my family and friends. Its a free world, so you can think whatever floats your boat. I guess we should all move to Surrey and pretend we are the Jesus of Revscene. Excuse me? I think allot of members post their cars on their sigs, even retired cars, this is a car lifestyle forum right?

I thought you were mature enough to realize that when you get old enough, you stop comparing yourself to others, thinking what other people think, and are happy with what you have Vs what others have, you should look in the mirror yourself.

You entertain me though, so I appreciate you for that! lol!
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:27 PM   #30
Rs has made me the man i am today!

A relative bought an ILX over a Civic because of brand. I tried talking her out of it because it wasn't worth the money because she drives so slow that a sportier engine, transmission and suspension wouldn't be noticeable. You can only do so much.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:20 PM   #31
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 8,815 Times in 3,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCA-Dave View Post
I'm failing this Timpo-like-attempt at a thread starter...
Apologies... Like i said before, i didnt mean to stir up any shit, i was just curious to see what everyone thought about individual car brand values.

Majority of car guys on here would obviously care more about features, performance, and price to value ratio more than perceived value but I do think it plays into car buying decisions somewhat.

A lot of my friends all believe a couple of these brand image myths. This was kind of the core of my reason to start the thread, but i guess i didnt explain it very well.

1) German engineering superiority (hence why VW is seen as more expensive and better built than hyundai but in reality, a lot of them are built in mexico and fail quite often)

2) Italian exotica fixation (anything italian must be better than other markers purely because they are italian. See Fiat fallacy; See Forgiving Italian qwerks fallacy, etc)

3) Japanese brands are more reliable than domestic (used to be the case back in the early 90's but im pretty sure the Japanese reliability is a myth nowadays)

A lot of these brand image ideals play greatly into the average joe's purchase decisions. As a Mos Skeeto said below, some people rather buy an ILX instead of a civic for the brand. Hell there was a big kafuffle on a chinese blog not to long ago about a girl who rather cry in the back of a BMW than sit happily in a toyota.... or something to that extent.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2017, 04:05 PM   #32
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Honda and Toyota are almost always amongst the most reliable brands in any category (Consumer Reports, Lemon-Aid, etc). Mazda usually does pretty well unless it's rotary-powered. Nissan has been hit and miss for the past couple of decades.

I wouldn't say Japanese reliability is a myth, just that their "mainstream" competition has gotten better (Hyundai/Kia, Chevrolet, and Ford, anyways). Chrysler is as shitty as ever since Fiat took over.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2017, 04:39 PM   #33
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Guys who drive Porsche's have small cocks.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:59 PM   #34
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,303 Times in 1,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Guys who drive Porsche's have small cocks.
But it must be nice to use a thimble as a fleshlight
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2017, 08:30 PM   #35
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,825 Times in 3,905 Posts
there's definitely loyalty and bias, good and bad for the majority of the buyers.

I often hear I won't buy this or that, or swear off on a brand because of one bad experience from 15 years ago.

Like I doubt I would want to own any VW AG vehicles out of warranty.

If I want something long term it's probably a Toyota, Honda or Mazda built in Japan (or maybe a newish Subarus without track record of head gasket issues). Is there evidence they're more durable? No. Are most of its constituent parts sourced from all over the globe? probably. In fact it's argued the US plants are far more advanced than Japanese plants...but I'm a firm believer in kaizen resulting in greater attention to detail...but not to the point of overengineering unlike some Euros

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Production_System

So yes my bias is grounded in longevity...not status

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos_skeeto View Post
A relative bought an ILX over a Civic because of brand. I tried talking her out of it because it wasn't worth the money because she drives so slow that a sportier engine, transmission and suspension wouldn't be noticeable. You can only do so much.
I have no idea why ILX takes premium gas when its near-identical motor (R-series, high compression, similar perf) in the Civic doesn't

Last edited by twitchyzero; 04-26-2017 at 08:53 PM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2017, 09:10 PM   #36
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,948 Times in 3,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
1) German engineering superiority (hence why VW is seen as more expensive and better built than hyundai but in reality, a lot of them are built in mexico and fail quite often)
German engineering is great for inventing things, the problem is those things are usually overcomplicated and expensive to repair when they fail (and they usually will).

Quote:
2) Italian exotica fixation (anything italian must be better than other markers purely because they are italian. See Fiat fallacy; See Forgiving Italian qwerks fallacy, etc)
I'm not sure what you mean by better, they're generally more stylish but that's about it.

Quote:
3) Japanese brands are more reliable than domestic (used to be the case back in the early 90's but im pretty sure the Japanese reliability is a myth nowadays)
Maybe not for all Japanese brands, but for Toyotas it isn't a myth. Honda had some transmission issues 15-20 years ago but if memory serves they had farmed out those designs to GM for some reason. Domestics are still largely not very reliable from what I've seen, some have the benefit of being cheap to fix at least, while others are money pits. Personally the only reason I bought another Jeep and not a Toyota was because I couldn't afford a Toyota, and this Jeep has an engine that wasn't designed by the morons at Chrysler.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2017, 06:52 AM   #37
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

And yet a dodge cost $250k.
NKC ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:52 AM   #38
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
Spoiler!

So yes my bias is grounded in longevity...not status

Spoiler!
agreed.
For my daily driver, I want to get in and not have to worry about car troubles. My Toyota is serviced regularly and all repairs are made right away with high quality parts. I would love a new Tundra, and could easily afford it. But in the end, my truck is still going strong and I love it, so why change?

That said, Honda has taken a real hit in their reliability ratings over the years. I traded in our 2011 Odyssey for a highlander last year because I was tired of the issues. Oil leaks, battery and ecm issues, door issues, etc. It was really close to being called a lemon. Sad actually, because I trusted the Honda name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Spoiler!

Maybe not for all Japanese brands, but for Toyotas it isn't a myth.
Spoiler!
agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKC ONE View Post
And yet a dodge cost $250k.
Don't worry, even after spending that kind of money, the 1% on RS like hobz and Z3 guy still won't let your proletariat ass hang with them at the local Blends coffee house.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:52 AM   #39
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I found out long ago that what I want in a car wasn't just reliability. I want reliability and durability. This means cars that were engineered to last well past its service life and built for abuse. This is something the Japanese did very in the late 80s well into the 90s. These days, most cars are reliable during warranty period. Few are durable.
toyota86 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2017, 09:32 AM   #40
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Where's a Corolla stand that's been taken to "private modder"???
2008 Mercedes C300
2012 Ford F-150 XLT
2014 Ford F-150 FX4 - Current
1999 Chevy Trailblazer
2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
2015 Honda Civic Coupe EX-L
2018 Honda HR-V Touring
2019 Audi A4 Technik - Current
2012 Porsche 911 Targa 4 - Current

1995 Kawasaki ZX-6R
2005 Yamaha R6 - RIP
2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary Edition - Current

IG: G_SPYDER91
604STIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:36 PM   #41

Quote:
Don't worry, even after spending that kind of money, the 1% on RS like hobz and Z3 guy still won't let your proletariat ass hang with them at the local Blends coffee house.
thats not true! we'll just pretend we didnt see his hellcat demon dingbat wombat cheetah challenger pull up
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2017, 04:44 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604STIG View Post
Where's a Corolla stand that's been taken to "private modder"???

if this is the corolla you mean, then obviously he's at the top of the social status heep.

Nobody can touch him... nobody.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:07 PM   #43
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,587 Times in 4,319 Posts
Does he walk to his car like this....

Spoiler!

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 01:51 PM   #44
I am Hook'd on RS

How is Fiat above Subaru, Nissan, VW etc? I wouldn't place it there by any stretch. Abarth 500's are often owned by folks that also own proper sports cars as a fun little toy but that's as far as I don't think it has the upper etchlon of the economy cars... and I own a Fiat.
sporadicMotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:58 PM   #45
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,556 Times in 4,328 Posts
Off-topic: hypa driving a Toyota =

I always thought he was a die-hard Subaru guy.
Quote:
^PICS DAMNIT!!!! ill eat the pate out of her banhmi anytime.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2017, 07:28 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporadicMotion View Post
How is Fiat above Subaru, Nissan, VW etc? I wouldn't place it there by any stretch. Abarth 500's are often owned by folks that also own proper sports cars as a fun little toy but that's as far as I don't think it has the upper etchlon of the economy cars... and I own a Fiat.
Amongst my circle of friends and acquaintances fiat would be perceived​ as something considerably more wealthy than your run of the mill Honda. Probably due to the fact that 1) it's Italian 2) it's a hipster brand similar to mini 2) Gucci made an edition of the 500...

Blows me away too. I don't consider it a more wealthy mainstream brand than Honda or Toyota but many do.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:05 PM   #47
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,694 Posts
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:01 PM   #48
I subscribe to Revscene

Mid engine, early 90's Toyota drive train

and this body is all you need. There must be some old Ferrari's that are affordable now.
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:18 AM   #49
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Off-topic: hypa driving a Toyota =

I always thought he was a die-hard Subaru guy.
I used to be, but these days I'm all about the big V8 power.
I have the Tundra with it's 5.7L, a G8GT with a 6.0L, and my Beaumont with it's old school 350ci.

I used to be about the logo on the front, but now it's more about being able to fit my stuff in a vehicle that is fun to drive. I'm getting old, brotato.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2017, 12:42 PM   #50
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,303 Times in 1,980 Posts
Quote:
I used to be, but these days I'm all about the big V8 power.
I have the Tundra with it's 5.7L, a G8GT with a 6.0L, and my Beaumont with it's old school 350ci.

I used to be about the logo on the front, but now it's more about being able to fit my stuff in a vehicle that is fun to drive. I'm getting old, brotato.
You have a G8?

I'm still part of a G8 club we formed about 5 years ago if you're interested. PM me for details.

A cruise we did through the Fraser Valley in some of the worst driving conditions.

The Caddy is an STS-V
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote