REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-26-2017, 09:22 PM   #26
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,136 Times in 3,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl811 View Post
Jeep Cherokee SRT!
The man is coming from a Defender that he drove to over 600k and you'd suggest that?
Advertisement
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2017, 09:27 PM   #27
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,945 Times in 1,520 Posts
That actually made me laugh.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:20 PM   #28

Thanked 7,500 Times in 3,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl811 View Post
Ford Raptor or Jeep Cherokee SRT! Thinking about a day of farming and then getting into a luxurious Mercedes G cabin doesn't seem to match. Thinking about the interior getting muddy and dirty makes me cringe.
Then why not a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk then? 707 HP and AWD.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:30 AM   #29
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,806 Times in 1,202 Posts
Guys, first, thanks for all the comments. But let's focus a bit on the off-road capability here.

I'm sure the Trailhawk and Raptors are very nice and capable, but I'm not sure it fits my dad's driving style.

Going in the Defender with my dad can be summarized with one word: spontaneous.

My dad would drive along the route/hwy and when he sees something that picks his interest, he just launches onto it within a blink of an eye. He doesn't plan or go to any offroad parks. He just goes wherever he feels like going.

I'm just looking for a vehicle that would provide a certain level of luxury and comfort while still able to take the beatings from trail wear.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:10 AM   #30
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Then why not a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk then? 707 HP and AWD.
I believe you're talking about the Grand Cherokee Trackhawk. My brother has a Grand Cherokee Trailhawk and it definitely does not have 707 hp lol
Thooomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:39 AM   #31
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Guys, first, thanks for all the comments. But let's focus a bit on the off-road capability here.

Going in the Defender with my dad can be summarized with one word: spontaneous.

My dad would drive along the route/hwy and when he sees something that picks his interest, he just launches onto it within a blink of an eye. He doesn't plan or go to any offroad parks. He just goes wherever he feels like going.

I'm just looking for a vehicle that would provide a certain level of luxury and comfort while still able to take the beatings from trail wear.
Bolded words mine.

This is why I am suggesting a truck of some sort. The gussied up trucks (top trim Limited/Longhorn/Denali/whatever) can still go off-road just fine, and just need a change of tires to be even better in all conditions. Your dad might even like the Ram 2500 Power Wagon - it's a better off-roading truck than the Raptor with locking front and rear axles, disconnecting swaybars and a huge amount of ground clearance. You can still get the Power Wagon loaded up with luxury features so you get all the nice bells and whistles.
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:53 PM   #32
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts

welcome home dad
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2017, 06:47 PM   #33
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
How about Escalade / Yukon / Tahoe?

Lots of room, comfy, luxurious, AWD.

Will blend in more in Hope.

Cadillac CTS (Current)
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-27-2017, 09:10 PM   #34
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

G-Wagons are great off-road vehicles, but for somebody that is looking for something that doesn't drive like a tracked bobcat there are better choices out there.

If you are really hung up on off-road ability, the Ranger Rover is a much better choice. They will easily go anywhere a Defender or G-Wagon will go off-road, but are a lot nicer to drive on a daily basis.

Of course if you just have money to burn... nothing beats one of these

MrPhreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:17 PM   #35
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Surprised no one suggested the Bentayga. I got to drive one around for a few weeks in Europe.. it is not a bad place to be even though gas prices is insane in Germany / Northern europe.

G wagon is only for nostalgia factor.. the world moved on since its inception.

Quote:
Bentley Mulsanne+LR Defender and the RR sounded an ideal hybrid of the 2.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-28-2017, 05:31 AM   #36
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
I think we need to reset our standards here. OP's dad has a high standard of luxury compared to most RS users. We may think a F150 Limited is luxurious but to OP's dad it's an American plastic interior.

As for the versatility, doesn't need to haul much. Since OP's dad is probably just growing vegetables for a big Asian weekend dinner for friends and family. RSer's idea of a farm truck is probably a huge pickup with infinite torque.

https://m.facebook.com/svehiclesinte...international/

Another defender might be your answer if you need spontaneous offroading, takes a beating, and the car being coach-built will be luxurious enough, similar to his Bentayga.
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-28-2017, 07:48 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by swfk View Post
I think we need to reset our standards here. OP's dad has a high standard of luxury compared to most RS users. We may think a F150 Limited is luxurious but to OP's dad it's an American plastic interior.

As for the versatility, doesn't need to haul much. Since OP's dad is probably just growing vegetables for a big Asian weekend dinner for friends and family. RSer's idea of a farm truck is probably a huge pickup with infinite torque.

https://m.facebook.com/svehiclesinte...international/

Another defender might be your answer if you need spontaneous offroading, takes a beating, and the car being coach-built will be luxurious enough, similar to his Bentayga.
I think considering the Dad likes driving a Defender - which isn't exactly luxurious itself - F-150 will be just fine. Who's driving the luxury factor? It is Mom, as Dad seems to be quite happy with his Defender. Also, it's not like it will be their only vehicle. This is just one for toodling around the farm. A lot of successful farmers in the area I am (Pemberton/Squamish) have a nice truck (Longhorn/Lariat/Denali) and another luxury car (Cadillac, Lincoln, Audi, BMW etc.) for "going to town."

The F-150's interior has taken some pretty great leaps forward compared to previous generations, and the Limited has some nice leather-trimmed surfaces.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-28-2017, 11:39 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
I think considering the Dad likes driving a Defender - which isn't exactly luxurious itself - F-150 will be just fine. Who's driving the luxury factor? It is Mom, as Dad seems to be quite happy with his Defender. Also, it's not like it will be their only vehicle. This is just one for toodling around the farm. A lot of successful farmers in the area I am (Pemberton/Squamish) have a nice truck (Longhorn/Lariat/Denali) and another luxury car (Cadillac, Lincoln, Audi, BMW etc.) for "going to town."

The F-150's interior has taken some pretty great leaps forward compared to previous generations, and the Limited has some nice leather-trimmed surfaces.
I think I'm going to the dealership over the weekend to get a feel of American pickups as well as other possible European offers.

The thing about the Defender is that it's super mechanical with very few things that you can't quite fix yourself should anything goes wrong.

When my dad goes off to a road trip, depending on the length, he'd carry some spare parts that he deems prone to failure/replacement plus a little jack and a simple set of tools. And my dad is very handy when it comes to the mechanical side of thing as long as what he's dealing stays mechanical. The Mulsanne (or the Flying Spur before that) for example, is something my dad wouldn't touch with a 10ft pole as he said it's complicated to even do a DIY oil change given the tools required to do them plus the electronic stuff going on.

So really, it's not about how much luxury or speed that the car has, but rather a dependable vehicle that would give the confidence to go offroad. And should anything goes wrong or require attention, one can simply deal it on spot rather than having to find a dealer to service it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow View Post

welcome home dad
Not sure my mom would want to take that leftover bill.

Last edited by Hehe; 04-28-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Hehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:21 PM   #39

Quote:
I think I'm going to the dealership over the weekend to get a feel of American pickups as well as other possible European offers.

The thing about the Defender is that it's super mechanical with very few things that you can't quite fix yourself should anything goes wrong.

When my dad goes off to a road trip, depending on the length, he'd carry some spare parts that he deems prone to failure/replacement plus a little jack and a simple set of tools. And my dad is very handy when it comes to the mechanical side of thing as long as what he's dealing stays mechanical. The Mulsanne (or the Flying Spur before that) for example, is something my dad wouldn't touch with a 10ft pole as he said it's complicated to even do a DIY oil change given the tools required to do them plus the electronic stuff going on.

So really, it's not about how much luxury or speed that the car has, but rather a dependable vehicle that would give the confidence to go offroad. And should anything goes wrong or require attention, one can simply deal it on spot rather than having to find a dealer to service it.
If you get the Ford 5.0L instead of the Ecoboost, you're more likely to be able to DIY a fix rather than go to the dealer - it's a much less complicated motor. Same goes with the Chevy/GMC 5.3L/6.2L or the Ram Hemi 5.7. These are stout, relatively simple motors (the Hemi and the Ford 5.0 don't even have direct injection!) that have been proven to be very dependable. Out in Hope, any of the Big 3 domestics are going to be much easier to find parts and someone to fix them as well, rather than German luxury.

Not quite as simple as the Defender, but still definitely workable without special tools or computers. I doubt you're going to find anything on the simplicity level of the Defender in any modern vehicle.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-28-2017, 12:35 PM   #40
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
so did everyone decide the g wagon was unique all of a sudden? all i see are g classes lately
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:24 PM   #41
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Get the man a gucci'd interior Unimog
SolidPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:27 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
If you get the Ford 5.0L instead of the Ecoboost, you're more likely to be able to DIY a fix rather than go to the dealer - it's a much less complicated motor. Same goes with the Chevy/GMC 5.3L/6.2L or the Ram Hemi 5.7. These are stout, relatively simple motors (the Hemi and the Ford 5.0 don't even have direct injection!) that have been proven to be very dependable. Out in Hope, any of the Big 3 domestics are going to be much easier to find parts and someone to fix them as well, rather than German luxury.

Not quite as simple as the Defender, but still definitely workable without special tools or computers. I doubt you're going to find anything on the simplicity level of the Defender in any modern vehicle.
Thanks.

I think what I'm looking is "simple" and yet comfortable offroad-capable vehicles. So when they are out in Hope or middle of nowhere on one of their long roadtrips, the car would always get them back to us.

I mean, imagine of them being stranded off the ALCAN hwy in the middle of winter, when all it requires is a simple belt replacement to get the car going again. That's something I remember happening with my dad's Defender once we were traveling in southern Argentina. All my dad did was check the engine, brought out a spare belt he had in the part box, got to the tensioner, took old one out and new one in and we were on our way again, all within 15min.

On the Mulsanne... forget about it. There are layers and layers of things you'd need to take out no matter you go from top or bottom. At least we couldn't quite find it when we looked onto it.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:44 PM   #43

Thanked 7,500 Times in 3,522 Posts
Quote:
Thanks.

I think what I'm looking is "simple" and yet comfortable offroad-capable vehicles. So when they are out in Hope or middle of nowhere on one of their long roadtrips, the car would always get them back to us.

I mean, imagine of them being stranded off the ALCAN hwy in the middle of winter, when all it requires is a simple belt replacement to get the car going again. That's something I remember happening with my dad's Defender once we were traveling in southern Argentina. All my dad did was check the engine, brought out a spare belt he had in the part box, got to the tensioner, took old one out and new one in and we were on our way again, all within 15min.

On the Mulsanne... forget about it. There are layers and layers of things you'd need to take out no matter you go from top or bottom. At least we couldn't quite find it when we looked onto it.
That's why you should buy your dad a pickup truck. There a dime a dozen. He will be able to be get it repaired literally anywhere and the dealer/repair shop will have parts in stock or will be able to get them from a parts store. With the G wagon you will have to take it to a Mercedes dealer and they might have to order in parts.

My Audi is going to spend a week in the shop for a clutch change and it has to be towed to Victoria. If your dad has a problem with the G wagon in Hope good luck.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:42 AM   #44
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,101 Times in 351 Posts
I have two 1998 Defender 110's in stock if that's your dad's thing.

IMO if luxury offroading is your dad's desire I would suggest trying out a full size range rover diesel. Very luxurious, adjustable height air suspension, dual speed transfer case and good wading depth. Skip the big wheels and you're looking at about 120k new.

Kev
Old 04-29-2017, 08:31 AM   #45

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
pretty sure all modern mercedes and not diy friendly on the road.

Replace my mom's e class battery the other day. had to get to back to the dealership to reset the computer for all electronic to work... imagine if this happening on a trip
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:22 AM   #46
I subscribe to Revscene

Commission a HotWheels design on a HiAce (they come in LHD too) kit!

jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:35 AM   #47

Thanked 9,136 Times in 3,972 Posts
Quote:
Thanks.

I can't think of anything modern that's like that, the closest you'll probably get is finding something with a large enough dealer network that you're never far away from being able to have it fixed. With that in mind the first thing I think of is Ford, they've never really wow'd me when I drive them for work but they are everywhere. Personally I'd go for a Toyota since they're stupidly reliable and also almost everywhere.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:39 PM   #48

I went to a few dealership over the weekend: Ford, LR and Benz.

Ford was solid, but I gotta say that even the highest trim felt... well, like a Ford.

Benz G class: no available test drive car and there's a waitlist.

RR Sport Diesel/RR Diesel: This is what I was expecting, a hybrid of Mulsanne+Defender. But just as the Bentley, it's not very DIY friendly and honestly, given the horrid reliability record of Land Rover, I'm not sure I want it. Even my dad's Defender... I mean, being able to fix all problems DIY doesn't quite cover the fact that they have a lot of problems. The only difference is that, given the little electronic stuff going on the Defender, it will get you to your destination while patching up the problem. Whereas the RR might simply stop. Put it in my friend's word (owner of a RR), he's usually on the way to dealership to fix sth or just picking his car up from dealer.

Going to take a look at Lexus LX570 tomorrow and see how I like it.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:38 PM   #49

After hitting up several dealers, I think my heart is set on the Lexus LX570.

Luxury-wise, I think RR still has the upper hand, but TBH, the price difference doesn't quite justify the difference. Lexus comes with option-less at 105k (meaning fully-loaded on everything) while the RR, when pricing in all the options we need (not everything... just what we wanted), I was looking at 135k. That plus the fact that reliability-wise, the Lexus easily swallows the RR.

Ford Raptor blew my mind... the speed of that thing is simply... wow... but ultimately we don't see the need to have a pickup and most, if not all, of the dirty things my dad would do can be covered with a good thick weather mat on the back.

As for the G-class, I managed to borrow one from a friend of a friend... and I gotta say, it's a lot rougher than I thought. 2018 model (supposedly a brand-new everything) might bring some changes, but as of now, it's out of the list.

Thanks for all the comments.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:32 PM   #50
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Stack View Post
If you can get over the looks, LX570 and call it a day
I got the right answer!
Robert Stack is offline   Reply With Quote