REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:31 AM   #26
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,380 Times in 857 Posts
Gas eats paint... So yes, you should wipe it off (via squeegee, bottled water, paper towel, microfibre, etc.) if any comes into contact with paint.
Advertisement
Old 06-05-2017, 12:34 PM   #27
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Dude are you for real
Well, I guess trying to find any common ground in this thread is pointless, If you are going to trying and poke holes in my posts, then let me at least spell it out for you.

1) Using the gas hose directly on parts of your car is pretty dumb, that is what I agree with, and that is what I am not defending.

2) Using gasoline as a solvent to clean a things like bitumen off your car is a valid method. As for the claim it isn't a good technique because it will strip off paint, I've had fuel spill out on my paint near the gas filler on all of my car countless times and not bothered to clean it off, and the paint has never once been affected.

3) The pulling of "the race card"... uh ok, let's take this down a few notches. It isn't exactly a secret that RS, and the rest of Vancouver for that matter enjoy poking fun at old Asian ladies doing silly things. Maybe it has just become so ingrained in the culture here that it goes unnoticed, but as somebody who is moving with fresh eyes it is pretty obvious. All I was trying to say is that if this had been a logger in Prince George cleaning off his licence plate with diesel (which is actually a thing btw), despite being basically the exact same type of thing, it probably wouldn't have been some crazy viral video and on the 6:00 news.

4)I stand by my stance that this isn't worth the attention it is getting. Yeah the person is being pretty dumb, but there is a fever pitch of SJW's vibrating in their arm chairs jerking off to this story, and it is hardly warranted.

Further to my point, last year when I was fueling up in Chilliwack I saw some yokel filling up a 2L pop bottle with gas (probably for his lawn mower or something)... nobody went full SJW on his ass, people raised an eyebrow and thought "what an idiot", and then went on with their life.

5) Now finally, if I had saw this person doing this, if I was literally standing next to her waiting for my car to fill, I'd probably say something like "WTF are you doing", but otherwise it is hardly noteworthy. What I wouldn't do is pull out my phone (mostly because that is just as stupid given that gas stations post very clearly "Do not use your phone when refueling") and snap a picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
yup, if you look at pretty much all his posts on rs, you can come to the conclusion that he is, indeed, for real.
Well, somebody has to play devils advocate, otherwise it would get kind of boring on here. Besides, how else am I going to pass the afternoons?
MrPhreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:14 PM   #28
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
^
I'm starting to like this guy.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-05-2017, 02:20 PM   #29
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

stupid thing she is doing for sure..
but I bet the majority of people ridiculing this don't even realize you can use gasoline as a solvent to clean sticky stain and grease. (e.g. i got a jerry can for lawnmower at home and i used them to clean tape residual on shitty labels..)

Most people are laughing because they thought the lady can't distinguish between a water hose and gasoline hose.
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:22 PM   #30
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Hell I fill a gatorade bottle of gas every time my bike or someone I know forgets to fill and is empty. No one has taken pictures of me.. NBD.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:40 PM   #31
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Doesn't the gas eat through the plastic if you're filling up Gatorade bottles?
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:21 PM   #32
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I have never had or seen gas take paint of my cars, trucks or even bikes ever.
I have had gas eat and soften some plastics.
And I have had brake cleaner eat some paint off before.

Just sayin
Urrtoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:33 PM   #33
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts

At least the asian lady looks to be using the gas sparingly. The one above is just pissing rainbows all over her windshield. How much did people care about this one?
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-05-2017, 05:39 PM   #34
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts
People should use 99% isopropyl rubbing alcohol instead of gas. It's surprising how much rubbing alcohol can remove, and it's safer, dries quickly, doesn't need to be rinsed off, and it also doesn't smell as bad (subjective) and the vapors are short term.

I have a whole arrange of cleaning products for my car and to be honest, none of them seem to work better than straight up rubbing alcohol. So far, I've never seen any negative issues on my car paint.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:25 PM   #35
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
Let's add a little flavor to this thread courtesy of jack fm fb page (yes this is in Richmond)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (76.5 KB, 0 views)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2017, 09:36 AM   #36
Need to Seek Professional Help

I like how the new just say "use common sense" One thing they don't teach you at school. Either you have it or you don't.
teggy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:08 AM   #37
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ae101 View Post
Let's add a little flavor to this thread courtesy of jack fm fb page (yes this is in Richmond)
Had that happen twice this year at our gas station. Good thing they have a quick release.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:07 AM   #38
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,768 Times in 1,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
Doesn't the gas eat through the plastic if you're filling up Gatorade bottles?

While PET (Polyethylene Terephthalate, the stuff most clear drink bottles are made of) is not 100% gasoline resistant, it would take months of holding gas before the bottle would fail.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:35 PM   #39
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,438 Times in 981 Posts
at work i have a 500ml water bottle full of gas. i use it to clean the small white board next to my desk (in a shop, not an office). i prick punctured the lid so hardly any comes out when i squeeze it. it's been there for like 3 years, i can't notice any degradation in the bottle. it is plastic #1, or Polyethylene Terephthalate as Great68 said.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:47 PM   #40
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,506 Times in 3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZN6 View Post

At least the asian lady looks to be using the gas sparingly. The one above is just pissing rainbows all over her windshield. How much did people care about this one?
Insider Report: Using gas to clean windshield? Not a bright idea - WHEELS.ca

Fucking Russians!
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:29 PM   #41
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
99% guaranteed if it wasn't an Asian lady in the photo doing stupid shit involving a car in Richmond, it would not have blown up on Reddit then getting coverage with news outlets.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote