REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 07:25 AM   #2476
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
Noooooooooooooo

Advertisement

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
Old 02-20-2018, 08:15 AM   #2477
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,582 Times in 4,298 Posts
sounds like the deal with 4 x 4 and honestly I'm ok with it. He's a tough big body which we need and if he keeps on playing like he's played the last two games it will be a steal. He's been hurt and hasn't done much the last two season's but it kinda seems like all of that is behind him right now (as he gets hurt tonight lol)
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2018, 08:40 AM   #2478
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
3 x $4M, not bad
Old 02-20-2018, 08:42 AM   #2479
In RS I Trust

even better is being only 3 years, I think this is a fantastic move.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:42 AM   #2480
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
I’m surprised it’s only 3 years too. Tanev our for 2-3 more weeks. Gonna be a quiet deadline I feel
Old 02-20-2018, 08:45 AM   #2481
In RS I Trust

https://www.tsn.ca/canucks-gudbranso...sion-1.1004108

Quote:
The Vancouver Canucks have signed pending unrestricted free agent Erik Gudbranson to a three-year, $12 million contract extension.

The defenceman will carry an annual cap hit of $4 million, up from his current $3.5 million salary. TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie reports Gudbranson will be paid $4.4 million next season, $4.6 million the season after that and $3 million in the final year of the deal. The extension does not carry a no-trade clause of any kind, McKenzie reports.

The 26-year-old Gudbranson is in his second season with the Canucks, and has two goals and two assists in 41 games.

"Erik is an important part of our team and provides a physical element to our blueline," Canucks general manager Jim Benning said in a release. "His leadership qualities help us as we continue to integrate younger players in our lineup. He is a quality person, a great teammate, outstanding in the community and we are excited to have him as part of our team moving forward."

Gudbranson said Monday he was weighing his options between signing an extension and reaching free agency.

“There are a lot of angles and it’s not the most black-and-white thing I’ve experienced,” Gudbranson told the Vancouver Province on Monday. “I’m learning a lot about the business side of hockey and making an educated decision.

“I’m aware of all the angles. I have a mindset that I want to be here and getting something done soon. It certainly has been on my mind the last month. I think I deserve some security and I’d like a couple of years to be part of a group that’s growing.”

The third overall pick in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft started his career with the Florida Panthers, joining the Canucks after the 2015-16 season in a trade for centre Jared McCann.

Gudbranson has 14 goals and 39 assists in 380 career NHL games.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:04 AM   #2482
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
I'm ok with this deal.

He's still tradeable for the duration of it.
Hopefully nothing comes out saying we were offered a 1st rounder and a prospect for him tho lol
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
Old 02-20-2018, 09:21 AM   #2483
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
26 years old, former 3rd overall pick in 2010 by Florida, which is not the bastion of scouting...

380 games played
14 career goals.
39 career assists
53 career points.
-67 career +/-
397 career PIMs
481 career shots for a shooting % of 2.9%

For $4 million a year?!?!?

I would like to , if it wasn't so sad...... He's terrible offensively, and terrible defensively. Is this what the NHL defensive talent pool has come to?
Old 02-20-2018, 09:29 AM   #2484
My homepage has been set to RS

Could be a worse deal. 3 years, and still could be traded. Salary cap hit isn't too bad if he can get the injuries behind him and find is groove.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:40 AM   #2485
My homepage has been set to RS

tanev supposedly out for another month so his chances of being traded could be slim to none. He is the new sami salo without the booming clapper.

I know this is all hypotheticals but lets say if Canucks don't make any trades this deadline day for off loading some dman for some assets. Then they some how get the number one over all and draft dahlin numoro uno. Then we will have a ton of dman on the roster which isn't such a bad thing when you are the canucks.

Tanev
Guddy
Stecher
Edler
MDZ
Hutton
Juolevi (if he is ready)
Biega (not sure on what his contract is)
Pouliot (if he resigns)
Tryamkin (hoping he comes back but doubtful lol)
Holm (if he wants a shot in the NHL)
Dahlin (canucks magically draft him #1)
Dman Prospect ( which they could possibly draft in the first round)

My top choices would be for canucks to move hutton and get something for him since I think juolevi would replace him in the line up.

Tanev would have been my top over all pic to move if he wasn't injured but now it would be tuff to get full value for him. If they move him at the draft don't think he will get as much value for him compared to trade deadline.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:24 AM   #2486

There's going to be an issue of how much Stech is going to sign for after. If gudbranson is $4 mil, what's stech?
Old 02-20-2018, 10:33 AM   #2487
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

They bring different things to the table, and UFA's always carry a bit of a premium. I think Stecher would be 3-3.5m x 2 years, similar to Hutton's extension last season, still a bit of a 'show me' type deal. He knows he can't go over Tanev's 4.5m

Makes you really appreciate the internal cap structure that the Gilman/Gillis regime held so firm to.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:43 AM   #2488
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
sounds like the deal with 4 x 4 and honestly I'm ok with it. He's a tough big body which we need and if he keeps on playing like he's played the last two games it will be a steal. He's been hurt and hasn't done much the last two season's but it kinda seems like all of that is behind him right now (as he gets hurt tonight lol)
As opposed to the previous 69 games he's played which will make it not a steal.

Ok so it's a done deal, 3 years which i'm better with vs 4. It's a hard deal, on one hand he provides little to no offence and questionable defense at best but he gives you toughness and leadership (apparently) which is worth something too. Coudl we have got the toughness part with leadership for cheaper? You can argue that, maybe not younger though who knows. Oh wells fuck it I guess I can live with 3 years, we'll still suck over that time and he'll move on.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2018, 11:03 AM   #2489
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
Salary cap hit isn't too bad if he can get the injuries behind him and find is groove.
He hasn't found his groove in the last 6 seasons. Sure, dmen develop slower than forwards, but as a first round pick if he's not performing to that level by now, chances are he's never going to find his groove.

Jim Benning was an offensive minded Dman when he played for the Canucks. In 605 career games he had 243 points and was a -77. Gudbranson has all the negatives of an offensive dman, without the offensive positives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
There's going to be an issue of how much Stech is going to sign for after. If gudbranson is $4 mil, what's stech?
Using Gudbranson dollars, and taking Stecher's numbers into account (116gp, 31pts, -23, 2.1% shooting), he should be worth about the same. We already have $6 million tied up in one garbage contract, why not make every 3rd line player a multi millionaire?

That's today's Canucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
As opposed to the previous 69 games he's played which will make it not a steal.

Ok so it's a done deal, 3 years which i'm better with vs 4. It's a hard deal, on one hand he provides little to no offence and questionable defense at best but he gives you toughness and leadership (apparently) which is worth something too. Coudl we have got the toughness part with leadership for cheaper? You can argue that, maybe not younger though who knows. Oh wells fuck it I guess I can live with 3 years, we'll still suck over that time and he'll move on.

hahaha, well said winson.
The next few years are going to suck anyway.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:43 PM   #2490
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Stecher is RFA without arbitration rights, he’ll be cheap (or should be; they fucked up on Hutton last time, so who knows).
Old 02-20-2018, 01:30 PM   #2491

Quote:
Using Gudbranson dollars, and taking Stecher's numbers into account (116gp, 31pts, -23, 2.1% shooting), he should be worth about the same. We already have $6 million tied up in one garbage contract, why not make every 3rd line player a multi millionaire?

That's today's Canucks.
UFA and RFA contracts are completely different.

Its also well known that Benning likes to have about 5mil worth of muscle on the team, and pays those players to fight because he knows its needed on a team with young players who need someone to back up for them
Originally it was sbisa and dorsett. Now its gudbranson and Archibald.

Yes fighters can be had for cheap, but the cheaper ones also come with more problems. Drugs, bad attitudes, etc.

Or we could just not have them, and watch Boeser, and Petterson be run from behind with no support for the next 3 years.

Gudbranson is pretty similar to Willie Mitchell or at least reminds me of him
Old 02-20-2018, 01:43 PM   #2492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabatron View Post
tanev supposedly out for another month so his chances of being traded could be slim to none. He is the new sami salo without the booming clapper.

I know this is all hypotheticals but lets say if Canucks don't make any trades this deadline day for off loading some dman for some assets. Then they some how get the number one over all and draft dahlin numoro uno. Then we will have a ton of dman on the roster which isn't such a bad thing when you are the canucks.
Simple.

Tanev - trade at draft
Stecher - 2 year contract so still an rfa
Hutton - traded at draft
Juolevi (if he is ready) - ahl
Biega (not sure on what his contract is)
Pouliot (if he resigns)
Tryamkin (hoping he comes back but doubtful lol) - 1/2years away
Holm (if he wants a shot in the NHL) - tryout til end of season, nhl next
Dahlin (canucks magically draft him #1) - nhl if we get
Dman Prospect ( which they could possibly draft in the first round) - ahl/shl
Old 02-20-2018, 01:49 PM   #2493
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,339 Times in 5,648 Posts
He almost certainly took less to stay here than what he could have got in free agency.. as far as that goes.

I'm fine with the deal i could have gone either way. Guddy is a guy who will have his ups and downs but he also has the potential to grow in the right position. Personally i may take a Guddy/Tanev combo over Tanev/Edler

Problem with letting guys like this go is who are you gonna get thats better? To get value you are going to need to pick up a different guy with unfufilled potential and hope he gets better than he already is. You arent going to sign a FA that is BETTER than guddy for less than 4.6-5+

I think there is a bit of letting the pick and Mccann go for nothing but what would look like essentially a rental.

Move in the right direction imo

Edit* Sign Tanev long term.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:14 PM   #2494
In RS I Trust

^ I agree with all of this except I think we should trade Tanev since he's in his prime and we can get a hopefully decent pick and prospect rather then wasting his value with the current rebuild that's going on.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2018, 02:23 PM   #2495
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
problem with letting guys like this go is who are you gonna get thats better? To get value you are going to need to pick up a different guy with unfufilled potential and hope he gets better than he already is. You arent going to sign a FA that is BETTER than guddy for less than 4.6-5
You know, that's a good point.
The talent pool is pretty shallow in the nhl these days. I've played with and against guys like eKane9, Colt Gillies, David Booth, and guys who play pro in Europe. I've played with and against classics like Murzyn, and Babych. They're completely different players than even the best div a men's league players. To make the nhl, you have to be heads and tails better than anyone else. Nhl guys stand out.

The problem with having so many teams is that the talent is spread out so thin that a team like the canucks don't have a lot of options. So Guddy could be our best option, simply based on a lack of available skill.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2018, 10:03 PM   #2496
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
During these Olympics the NHL youtube channel has been posting vids showcasing the highlights of the best players from each country and I can't help but think it's a slap in the face of fans.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:29 AM   #2497

lol at the provies tonight and canucks army people salty about Guddy signing.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:25 AM   #2498

what do you expect from botchford and people who are heavily into analytics?
Old 02-21-2018, 09:31 AM   #2499
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
During these Olympics the NHL youtube channel has been posting vids showcasing the highlights of the best players from each country and I can't help but think it's a slap in the face of fans.
the NHL has been showing Olympic highlights?
Old 02-21-2018, 09:54 AM   #2500
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
the NHL has been showing Olympic highlights?
No, sorry. I meant that they are showing NHL highlights of the best players separated by country. Players who should be at the Olympics but aren't because of politics, money, injury risk, etc.. If I were the NHL, I would be trying to get fans to forget the Olympics, not remind them.

Last edited by Bouncing Bettys; 02-21-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Closed Thread