REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-15-2017, 04:35 AM   #101
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,663 Times in 3,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
the build quality

Eruhhh.... You sure about this one brah? My last service cost me 10k and that's kinda on par for most Ferrari and Maseratis.
Advertisement
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:36 AM   #102
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

ARRGGHHHHH!!! I kinda knew what I would see when I clicked those links but I clicked anyway. So frustrating, more of the same backwards logic re: speed limits. It drives me nuts to hear "Nobody is obeying the speed limit, we need more enforcement" not "nobody is obeying the speed limit, we should probably review the limit." The guy in the Ferrari will get dinged no matter what the limit but lots of people just driving the normal acceptable speed for the road and weather conditions won't.

We need to get this video back out there.

It doesn't help the case when the Malahat-Asshat is spouting that logic only after he gets caught but it doesn't make the point wrong either.
snowfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-15-2017, 10:24 AM   #103
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
TBH, I don't even look at my speedometer... like ever. Because I know how to gauge a proper balance of speeding or slowing down based on the situation of the environment. When in doubt, go with flow of traffic.

The real issue is distracted drivers or people who just suck at driving. Their easy solution is to just tell everyone to slow down or "force" them to by law. It's really just damage control so no one dies when people crash while they're drinking or texting or doing some other stupid shit behind the wheel.

Obviously if you're going like 100 km over, that's a different story... but 20km/h over??

And doing 30-40km/h over in city is a HUGE difference from doing 30-40km/h over out in interior BC highways. Once again, driver needs to use their own judgement....

If there's traffic, obviously it's not safe to be speeding and weaving through (And on that note, no one pulls over to the right, which might tempt people to weave).

If you're about to go through the rockies, obviously it's not safe to be speeding through those corners.

If it's a long straight stretch, I don't see why not and let it rip 30-40 over. Unless you have problems holding the steering wheel straight.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-15-2017, 11:33 AM   #104
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I am not that worried, one of the things that won the people over in the 2001 election was the Liberal promise to scrap photo radar.

If it gets brought back, it is an easy way to win voters over for any political party willing to play that card. People generally hate photo radar. If it does get brought back, it will be gone within a year or two.

In Vancouver especially, traffic moves naturally at anywhere from 15 to 30 over the limit... hitting everybody who moves safely with the flow of traffic would piss so many people off.
MrPhreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:30 PM   #105
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,817 Times in 3,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post

Eruhhh.... You sure about this one brah? My last service cost me 10k and that's kinda on par for most Ferrari and Maseratis.
fit and finish
not reliability/durability/cost of maintenance
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:22 AM   #106
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,663 Times in 3,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
fit and finish
not reliability/durability/cost of maintenance
the fit and finish sucks too! because some are "handmade" or "hand" finished, not all panels line up evenly. Even ferrari/maserati buttons are sticky because they use some sort of a weird ass soft rubber that melts. Sure the leather interiors are nice, but big whoop. The only things ferrari/maserati has going for them is the engines and styling (pininfarina does most of their styling so its not even really in house designers). Beautiful engines with fantastic throttle response, flat plane cranks, and seductive exhaust with that F1 sound.

Last edited by Badhobz; 07-17-2017 at 06:29 AM.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:37 AM   #107
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Fuck photo radar

How's that working out for Alberta?
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:15 AM   #108
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
The only places I could see photo radar justified are construction and school zones. Some of the idiots I saw going through the construction zones on the Coq this weekend were brutal.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:38 AM   #109
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
TBH, I don't even look at my speedometer... like ever. Because I know how to gauge a proper balance of speeding or slowing down based on the situation of the environment. When in doubt, go with flow of traffic.

The real issue is distracted drivers or people who just suck at driving. Their easy solution is to just tell everyone to slow down or "force" them to by law. It's really just damage control so no one dies when people crash while they're drinking or texting or doing some other stupid shit behind the wheel.

Obviously if you're going like 100 km over, that's a different story... but 20km/h over??

And doing 30-40km/h over in city is a HUGE difference from doing 30-40km/h over out in interior BC highways. Once again, driver needs to use their own judgement....

If there's traffic, obviously it's not safe to be speeding and weaving through (And on that note, no one pulls over to the right, which might tempt people to weave).

If you're about to go through the rockies, obviously it's not safe to be speeding through those corners.

If it's a long straight stretch, I don't see why not and let it rip 30-40 over. Unless you have problems holding the steering wheel straight.
For me, I can just listen to the engine(pretty easy since rotaries are LOUD) and stick to a gear and RPM. One of reasons I prefer a MT nowadays. While it's not hard to stick to a speed in an AT, I had a bit less sense of how fast I was actually going.

Certain highways on the island also have 110 kph speed limit, but you can do 130 or 140 and cops don't even care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
Fuck photo radar

How's that working out for Alberta?
Last time I saw a dude on an Accord forum say something about this. He said they are removing these photo radars, since everyone knows where they are now and just slow down for them. Also, radar detectors are fine to use in Alberta.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:50 AM   #110

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
For me, I can just listen to the engine(pretty easy since rotaries are LOUD) and stick to a gear and RPM. One of reasons I prefer a MT nowadays. While it's not hard to stick to a speed in an AT, I had a bit less sense of how fast I was actually going.

Certain highways on the island also have 120 kph speed limit, but you can do 130 or 140 and cops don't even care.

Last time I saw a dude on an Accord forum say something about this. He said they are removing these photo radars, since everyone knows where they are now and just slow down for them. Also, radar detectors are fine to use in Alberta.
Fixed for you.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:59 AM   #111
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowfarmer View Post
ARRGGHHHHH!!! I kinda knew what I would see when I clicked those links but I clicked anyway. So frustrating, more of the same backwards logic re: speed limits. It drives me nuts to hear "Nobody is obeying the speed limit, we need more enforcement" not "nobody is obeying the speed limit, we should probably review the limit." The guy in the Ferrari will get dinged no matter what the limit but lots of people just driving the normal acceptable speed for the road and weather conditions won't.

We need to get this video back out there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BKdbxX1pDw

It doesn't help the case when the Malahat-Asshat is spouting that logic only after he gets caught but it doesn't make the point wrong either.
If their logic is using more enforcement, then a logical argument would be to stop manufacturer selling cars past the year 2000 since they are all capable of staying within 80km/h or heck only LSV (Low speed vehicles) can be sold. /S

It doesn't make sense to blindly follow road speeds that were deemed safe in a different time period and safety technology.
mdnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:48 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Fixed for you.
Thanks! You probably know much better than me.

I want to drive there someday.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:57 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Thanks! You probably know much better than me.

I want to drive there someday.
It's by Courtney going towards Campbell river. A number of long straight sections.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:12 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowfarmer View Post
It drives me nuts to hear "Nobody is obeying the speed limit, we need more enforcement" not "nobody is obeying the speed limit, we should probably review the limit."
Same could be said for N stickers.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:38 AM   #115
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,490 Times in 1,688 Posts
The idiot that drove the 488 Spyder will need to appear in court to face charges for excessive speeding:

Charges laid against driver of Ferrrari that went 210 km/h over Lions Gate Bridge - NEWS 1130

WEST VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – Charges of excessive speeding have been laid against the driver of a Ferrari accused of hitting 210 km/h on the Lions Gate Bridge back in early July.

“The posted speed limit on the bridge is 60 km/h. It drops to 50 km/h as northbound drivers enter that bridge plaza area,” notes Cst. Jeff Palmer with West Vancouver Police.

After being pulled over, the car was impounded for 60 days. The driver was handed a 16-month driving ban.

Yihao Wang, 22, of West Vancouver is set to make his first court appearance next month.

Last month wasn’t the first time the driver was caught speeding by police. He was stopped by the same West Vancouver police officer back in April for excessive speed on the same bridge
Old 08-21-2017, 03:08 PM   #116
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
The only places I could see photo radar justified are construction and school zones. Some of the idiots I saw going through the construction zones on the Coq this weekend were brutal.
I would be okay with this, if construction crews would take down the signs when they wrap up for the weekend or the night.

Driving some of the northern highways on weekends or late at night it does start to get pretty old going from 100+ down to 70 or even 50 to protect a crew who is at home sleeping. I get it if there is a danger due to the construction still on the roadway, but in many cases it's just the signs and pylons left, otherwise the road is fine with no obstructions or dangers.

Flatiron is the worst offender for this. I'm convinced they really enjoy ruining people's day.

Highway 37 had Flatiron construction speed limits for months after the bridge repair work was complete along that stretch, I eventually got fed up and called them to ask what the fuck was going on, the project manager I spoke to had no idea their signs were even still out there 4 months after the project was completed.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2018, 11:44 AM   #117
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Sick mask brah lol...

Quote:
A Ferrari driver allegedly caught zooming across the Lions Gate Bridge at 150 km/h over the speed limit has pleaded guilty to excessive speeding.

Yihao Wang appeared in North Vancouver provincial court Tuesday but spoke only once, answering "yes" when the judge asked if he understood the plea.

Before he left the building, Wang put on a black surgical mask, black sunglasses and a black baseball cap, almost completely obscuring his face. He did not answer questions from reporters outside court.

Police clocked Wang going over the crossing at 210 km/h, more than tripling the posted speed limit of 60 km/h. He was behind the wheel of a white 2015 Ferrari 458, which was impounded for 60 days.

Rather than just hand the driver a ticket, the officer who pulled Wang over decided to press for a trial, which could mean a higher fine and stricter penalties.

Wang, who was charged under the Motor Vehicle Act, is scheduled to be sentenced in May.

At the time of the incident, police said the driver was already known to them, and had been pulled over for excessive speeding on the same bridge just months earlier, in April 2017.

Police said Wang's driving history could be considered during sentencing, and court records show several driving and speed-related charges against a man with the same name and birth year.

In the meantime, Wang remains under a 16-month driving ban.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2018, 11:52 AM   #118
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Pleading guilty, keeping his mouth shut, and trying to remain as unidentifiable as possible is probably the smartest thing the guy could do at this point.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2018, 11:53 AM   #119
I STILL don't get it

Aiyahhhhhh
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:01 PM   #120

You guys need to come to the Island. They are building a NHRA drag strip in Campbell River. A couple a weeks back I took my R8 to their annual meeting. The drive from Nanaimo to Campbell River is super boring. 4 lanes of well maintained road long straightaways with little traffic and 120 KM/H speed limit. Didn't even see a single cop until I got into town.

With the Island motor sport circuit the island is the perfect place for a motorsport enthusiast to retire.

More info on the dragstrip: https://vimsa.ca/
Old 04-24-2018, 01:05 PM   #121
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
With the Island motor sport circuit the island is the perfect place for a motorsport enthusiast to retire.
I'd say autox is still significantly better here on the mainland, but other than that, I 100% agree with your comment that the Island is a way better place for motorsports enthusiasts to retire.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2018, 01:31 PM   #122
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,817 Times in 3,901 Posts
did he modified his CompassCard so it looks murdered out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Pleading guilty, keeping his mouth shut, and trying to remain as unidentifiable as possible is probably the smartest thing the guy could do at this point.
his name's already in the press...I can only hope he learns from his mistakes
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:54 PM   #123
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
You guys need to come to the Island. They are building a NHRA drag strip in Campbell River. A couple a weeks back I took my R8 to their annual meeting. The drive from Nanaimo to Campbell River is super boring. 4 lanes of well maintained road long straightaways with little traffic and 120 KM/H speed limit. Didn't even see a single cop until I got into town.

More info on the dragstrip: https://vimsa.ca/
I just finished a job working in CR the last ~6 months.

Drove that highway back and forth so many times to catch the ferry, saw a cop like 2 times. Thank goodness they upped the speed limit. Its a good stretch of road.

Interesting about the drag strip, CR actually seems like a great place to be right now, with Quinsam and Myra Falls mines opening back up, and the new hospital construction, and lots of schools getting renovations. It's a rejuvenation of the area after they suffered post 2012.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:06 PM   #124
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,758 Times in 3,869 Posts
Quote:
The drive from Nanaimo to Campbell River is super boring. 4 lanes of well maintained road long straightaways with little traffic and 120 KM/H speed limit.
i love that drive, its so chill and smooth and wide. only thing i hate is between nanaimo - parksville theres the bunch of stop lights in the 90km/h zone. so have to floor it to get up to speed, then slam on your brakes for the red light, then floor it again. bye bye MPG's lol

edit: fiance and i want to move from richmond to courtenay in the future. a strip in campbell river would be awesome
Old 04-25-2018, 03:27 PM   #125
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Hey, check out hypebeast in a suit Yihao Wang at court for his speeding infraction.

http://https://bc.ctvnews.ca/ferrari...ilty-1.3900128
cunninglinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by: