REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:09 PM   #1
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
The Official Wildfire Thread

I'm shocked no one has made a thread yet but was of 30mins ago we are in a Provincial state of emergency due to wild fires. I currently have a number of friends that had to abandon their home's because they were that close to a fire zone. My one friend has a 1 week old so talk about scary.

https://energeticcity.ca/2017/07/pro...-fires-starts/

Quote:
Todd Stone, Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure and Minister responsible for Emergency Management BC, this evening announced a provincial state of emergency to ensure a co-ordinated response to the current wildfire situation and to ensure public safety.

On Friday there have been 56 new wildfire starts throughout the province. Evacuation alerts and orders have been issued for Ashcroft, Cache Creek and Princeton. These are in addition to the evacuation orders and alerts issued Thursday for 105 Mile House and 108 Mile House. The extended weather forecast is calling for continued hot, dry weather, with risks of thunderstorms in many parts of the province.

Given the current wildfire situation and the expected increase in wildfire activity, the Province is taking this extraordinary measure of declaring a provincial state of emergency.

This is an urgent situation and public safety is the top priority. The Province will continue to keep the public informed in this rapidly evolving situation.

The state of emergency gives agencies such as Emergency Management BC, the Fire Commissioner, the Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations and the RCMP authority under the Emergency Program Act to take every action necessary to fight these wildfires and protect residents and their communities.

Declarations of provincial states of emergency are issued by the minister responsible under the Emergency Program Act. The last provincial declaration of state of emergency was issued in August 2003 to deal with wildfires.

Related
Advertisement
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2017, 09:39 PM   #2
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
shit just literally exploded in the last 2 days

a week ago the province was mainly low-medium with a few pockets of high and very low. summer showed up in a hurry.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:39 PM   #3
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
My buddy said the new Timmys in Ashcroft burnt down before dinner so no clue on how much other damage there is.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:35 AM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,736 Times in 813 Posts
other than the occasional danger to human dwellings. fires are beneficial and necessary to a healthy forest and ecosystem. it sucks when we see someone's home burn down, but big picture is fires are good.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:06 AM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Yeah my family friends have a buffalo ranch around 108 mile, as of last night they were still okay but I doubt they are still at home as we speak.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:23 AM   #6

Crazy. Just went to that timmies on Monday coming home the long way from Whistler to kelowna.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:52 AM   #7
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
We, in the Lower Mainland, live in an earthquake zone, but we don't think twice about moving and take things for granted. Those people who live in the Interior and other parts of the province live in a highly volatile region where anything can spark a fire. What really irks me, is when a fire is started by a careless person who tosses a lit cigarette out the window of their car, or even worse, an arsonist, who purposely sets a fire to see things burn. They'll see fire all right..........when they go to hell.

I don't go to Ashcroft/Cache Creek anymore as the track has closed down, but I hope the town and its surrounding areas survive without too much damage. The Husky station in Cache Creek, my god tell me it's going to survive.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:41 PM   #8
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
this hits home for me cause when I started in the ambulance service I worked in Ashcroft for a bit. We'd fill gas at the Husky in Cache Creek once a shift.. also got free slurpees there :'(

and FYI they are upstaffing spare ambulances in Kamloops to help out. last i heard 11 extra ambulances were heading up there from the Lower Mainland
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:46 PM   #9

Its a crazy year. Okanagan lake is still over 2 feet above absolutely full, I think the second highest recorded level ever, and now everything is on fire. Winter was one of the winteriest winters I can remember (in 33 years) and lasted until mid March this year and then it rained record amounts until mid May, and then it just... stopped, and then it got hot. 13mm of precipitation since mid May and none in the 14 day forecast. Shits gon get ugly
Old 07-08-2017, 04:20 PM   #10
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,904 Posts
Just drove by Merritt, about a hundred kms from Ashcroft. Thick smoke in the air and the smell of fire everywhere. Hope all is safe.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:34 PM   #11
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Just drove by Merritt, about a hundred kms from Ashcroft. Thick smoke in the air and the smell of fire everywhere. Hope all is safe.
Hope is safe........... so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorn View Post
this hits home for me cause when I started in the ambulance service I worked in Ashcroft for a bit. We'd fill gas at the Husky in Cache Creek once a shift.. also got free slurpees there :'(
That Husky is a jewel / oasis in that part of the world.

Actually, all Husky stations, apart from the few weird ones in the Lower Mainland, are cool.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:47 AM   #12

Wonder what the future of forest fire fighting is. It's petty clear this is getting worse and worse as the years go on due to changing climate and beetle kill. Every year it seems like there's more and more high ranking interface fires, not enough resources, and the same aging equipment.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:26 AM   #13
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
what's so nice about a Husky? haven't been up to Ashcroft/Cache Creek before
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:57 PM   #14
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Federal government stepping in to help B.C. wildfire fight
Tr1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:32 PM   #15
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
I am travelling with my family and we went through Princeton Saturday and visited my wife's family camping near Hedley on the river. Many campers left Friday morning. It was smokey in Princeton as the fire got within 8kms It is really hot and the ground is tinder dry. The winds started blowing the smoke down the valley to Keremos where we stayed Sat night.

We are further east in Nelson now and are going to continue east to Banff before heading north to Chetwynd (wedding) and Prince The trip to Prince will be interesting as a fire is now burning south of Mackenzie near Carp Lake.

My wife's family said the Princeton/Summerland rd is now closed. They are camping at Okanagan falls near Penticton. It is smokey there too.

There are some worries about fuel supply so everyone is filling up.

My heart goes out to the thousands of people displaced and to those who have lost their homes.

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818

Last edited by TouringTeg; 07-09-2017 at 07:37 PM.
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:42 AM   #16
MG1

Text FIRES to 45678 to donate $10.00 to help victims of wildfires in our province. Red Cross.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-11-2017, 08:09 AM   #17
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,904 Posts
Friends in Williams Lake are packed and on standby, evacuation alert on :<.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:28 AM   #18
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Fucking Green Idiot

Weaver was commenting on the fires, and how climate change is somehow to blame (for what is basically a natural part of the lifecycle of the forest) and this is what he had to say:

Quote:
“It’s like a bunch of frogs in a boiling pot,” he said. “We’re sitting there pretending that the world isn’t warming.

"...I’m just hoping that people will wake up.”
People are losing their homes, and this ass fuck is telling us to "wake up"... get bent
MrPhreak is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2017, 08:34 AM   #19
God of Unce

Old 07-18-2017, 09:03 AM   #20
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhreak View Post
Fucking Green Idiot

Weaver was commenting on the fires, and how climate change is somehow to blame (for what is basically a natural part of the lifecycle of the forest) and this is what he had to say:

People are losing their homes, and this ass fuck is telling us to "wake up"... get bent
I don't see how his comment is offensive to the people who lost their homes.

Warmer planet = more forest fires. I think that's logical. I noticed the YYC in your profile - I'm guessing you work in the oil industry?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle35699915/

Quote:
New research suggests climate change will dramatically hamper our ability to stop future fires from destroying communities
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-18-2017, 09:11 AM   #21
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:15 AM   #22
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
I don't see how his comment is offensive to the people who lost their homes.

Warmer planet = more forest fires. I think that's logical. I noticed the YYC in your profile - I'm guessing you work in the oil industry?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle35699915/
Uh no, just not blindly brainwashed by the people who think climate change is somehow responsible for every undesirable event that happens ever. It isn't a crime (yet) to still think critically.

Fires are a totally natural part of the forest life cycle... they used to run free and burn a lot more than this long before we ever got here. That is why pine-cones sit dormant and activated by fire, or why willowherd (AKA fireweed) appears only days after a fire rips through. It is how the forest renews itself and purges out infestation, rot, and disease.

Now if you wanted to point to a single reason why this year is worse than others, it is likely because of the all the dead pine that has been drying out for the past few years after the pine beetle devastation.

This mini debate aside.... there is a time for Weaver to push his agenda, but when people are losing everything they have and we have crews risking life and limb fighting these fires, him going "WAKE UP" is pretty fucking petty.
MrPhreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:44 AM   #23
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhreak View Post
Uh no, just not blindly brainwashed by the people who think climate change is somehow responsible for every undesirable event that happens ever. It isn't a crime (yet) to still think critically.

Fires are a totally natural part of the forest life cycle... they used to run free and burn a lot more than this long before we ever got here. That is why pine-cones sit dormant and activated by fire, or why willowherd (AKA fireweed) appears only days after a fire rips through. It is how the forest renews itself and purges out infestation, rot, and disease.

Now if you wanted to point to a single reason why this year is worse than others, it is likely because of the all the dead pine that has been drying out for the past few years after the pine beetle devastation.

This mini debate aside.... there is a time for Weaver to push his agenda, but when people are losing everything they have and we have crews risking life and limb fighting these fires, him going "WAKE UP" is pretty fucking petty.
Nobody is denying forest fires have occurred naturally for millions of years.

There are numerous reports that climate change in the last couple decades have directly contributed to the increase in wild fires throughout Canada.

His "wake up" quote is referring to climate change deniers. You're just being sensitive

full quote:

Quote:
Weaver, whose background is in climate science, said people need to begin taking climate change more seriously and recognize humanity’s role in the increase in both the number and intensity of these types of natural disasters.

“It’s like a bunch of frogs in a boiling pot,” he said. “We’re sitting there pretending that the world isn’t warming.

“We just move on as business as usual. We cannot continue to do so and I’m just hoping that people will wake up.”
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2017, 10:02 PM   #24
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,110 Times in 602 Posts
Anyone know where to find out road closures due to fires?
mk1freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:29 PM   #25
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
^^^
Try this: https://www.tranbc.ca/current-travel-advisories/