REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:45 PM   #176
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
As an aside: Why was the old Port Mann not re-purposed into a bike/walk path, tourist site, bridge yoga site, etc.?
Doesn't comply with current or upcoming seismic requirements? Just guessing
Advertisement
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:46 PM   #177
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,297 Times in 1,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
first day of moderate rain and shit hits the fan

typical vancouver drivers
Not to mention the first day after a long weekend.

I'm not surprised with the general fuckery on our roads. I see people running stop signs, driving through solid red lights, lane changes without signals (particularly when there's a car already in the other lane).

But hey at least cars are getting smarter right? That clearly means we don't have to do anything behind the wheel!

GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #178
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,603 Times in 544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Every day is brutal.. every single day westbound is like it used to be before the new Portman/HWY1 project.

Fucking cheapskates, hope spending that extra hour + in your car everyday was worth the $6
Their driving IQ is as low as their normal IQ, they were probably spending more money avoiding the tolls (gas and wear on vehicle) than they would've spent paying the tolls.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:30 AM   #179
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_ View Post
Yep... this is the second time I've been late due to godamn accidents since they took the tolls out, excluding the snow shit storm.
Likewise - now switching over from a 8AM departure to a 4:45AM. Missed yesterdays gong show along with the one that is unfolding today.

Toll Elimination meet The Law of Unintended Consequence.
FlyinOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:21 AM   #180
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Way to go NDP..should they have not done some research before pulling the tolls? Has Mr. Hogan chimed in here to tell us what they are gonna do to resolve this?
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:23 AM   #181
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,584 Times in 4,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
Way to go NDP..should they have not done some research before pulling the tolls? Has Mr. Hogan chimed in here to tell us what they are gonna do to resolve this?
of course he hasn't said shit because he hasn't planned anything and now there is just silence from him until his next stupid fucken move.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-11-2017, 09:46 AM   #182
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
of course he hasn't said shit because he hasn't planned anything and now there is just silence from him until his next stupid fucken move.
fucking agreed.
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:04 PM   #183
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,315 Times in 2,518 Posts
Holy shxt... 30k extra trips per day...

Extra traffic, crashes leading to regular delays on toll-free Port Mann Bridge - NEWS 1130

Quote:
The crossing is handling an extra 30-thousand trips per day, leading to more significant accidents and frustrations for drivers.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:13 PM   #184
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,031 Times in 1,920 Posts
Liberals be going ... LOL, hahah, ROFL ....
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:37 PM   #185
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,017 Times in 1,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I knew there was gonna be an increase in traffic but I didn't think there were that many cheap fucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:57 PM   #186
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Port Mann = Alex Fraser 2.0

If cats always land on their feet, and toast always lands butter side down, what would happen if you strapped burnt toast to the back of a cat and dropped it?
boibuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:35 PM   #187
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I'd move back to Saskatchewan before I'd ever consider commuting over the bridge on the regular and I fucking hate living in that Province.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:48 AM   #188
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_ View Post
I knew there was gonna be an increase in traffic but I didn't think there were that many cheap fucks
I'm one of them.

Always took Patullo and truck hwy instead.

I'm just glad I don't have a shitty long commute everyday.

You guys should just move this side of the bridge

The main problem that I'm seeing, is that the system the liberals put into place, those 15-30k people did not see value in it, and now you're seeing the real traffic pattern. Had they made a more attractive toll pricing scheme, maybe there's a scenario that could be in the middle somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2017, 09:05 AM   #189
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Holy shxt... 30k extra trips per day...
I take the Patullo often. I have some customers in New West, and my physio guy is on the New West/Burnaby border. The amount of traffic on the Patullo has dropped significantly. There were so many cheap pricks who were driving extra miles in order to save the tolls. I get it, it's your money. But there's a point where you need to choose between saving a small amount of money, and losing a large amount of your own time.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2017, 09:14 AM   #190
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,846 Times in 1,781 Posts
It's not all just "Cheap Fucks" that just decided to go the long way in their car, many are probably people that used to use transit or carpool and now are like "Well fuck it, might as well drive!"
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:30 AM   #191
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,399 Times in 5,671 Posts
Again, that was a $6 decision.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:47 AM   #192
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
It's not all just "Cheap Fucks" that just decided to go the long way in their car, many are probably people that used to use transit or carpool and now are like "Well fuck it, might as well drive!"
I know that my vehicle costs a lot more to run than a bus pass.
I average about $10/day in fuel. That alone is a big factor. Add to that, $5/day for insurance (which is fucking ludicrous!). My accountant has factored that every km I put on my vehicle costs $.25 in maintenance and amortization.

So far, I'm up to about $25/day to run my truck. That didn't include the tolls. Versus the cost of a bus pass at about $6/day.

So yeah, cheap fucks indeed. By adding 20km to my commute bypassing the Port Mann, I'm saving $8 in tolls, but paying $5 in amortization and an additional $10 in gas for a net loss of $7/day. Plus time.

Cheap fucks, indeed.
A fool and his money are soon parted.
Penny smart, pound foolish.

originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:19 PM   #193
nah
My homepage has been set to RS

When can we have the tolls back? This experiment obviously didn't work, admit to it and move on.

Crusty and the Libs should have tolled all the bridges to force people on transit. I drive over the Alex everyday and I've not seen a drop in traffic. I thought it would be a cascading effect of people moving towards the Port Mann without the tolls. All it did was bring out people that were taking transit.
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:01 AM   #194
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
They should've never had the tolls that high in terms of pricing. If they had the tolls at $1-$1.50 then I guarantee you that more people would've taken it.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:10 AM   #195
nah
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
They should've never had the tolls that high in terms of pricing. If they had the tolls at $1-$1.50 then I guarantee you that more people would've taken it.
I think at $1 or $1.50, it wouldn't have been much of a deterrent to steer people away from their cars. Though I hate Crusty, they were right to implement a $3 toll. What they should have done is have it like Transit rates, where during rush hour it's high and on weekends and past 7 PM, have it at the $1-1.50 rate.
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2017, 12:19 AM   #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by nah View Post
I think at $1 or $1.50, it wouldn't have been much of a deterrent to steer people away from their cars. Though I hate Crusty, they were right to implement a $3 toll. What they should have done is have it like Transit rates, where during rush hour it's high and on weekends and past 7 PM, have it at the $1-1.50 rate.
You'd be surprised by how much traffic can be reduced even when a token fee has been applied. People are not rational that way. As a readily available example, just look at the gas station line ups when one station is cheaper than another by $0.01 cent. People literally line up, let their cars idle for 10 min, when all they are "saving" is $0.50.

Besides, it'd eliminate a lot of unnecessary trips, or cause people to consolidate their trips.

Having a nominal fee across all bridge crossings is totally an effective way to manage and reduce traffic.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:35 AM   #197
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,031 Times in 1,920 Posts
Newb Horgan ... "let's just totally remove the toll". No gradual reduction of toll to find optimum balance between revenue, traffic management, and environmental effect.

Was on Hwy 1 yesterday around 12:30pm and sure enough, 3 car accident before the bridge, blocked HOV, and the right shoulder. Now people might consider using Patullo & Hwy 17 just to avoid the gong show on Hwy 1 and Port Mann.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:20 PM   #198
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,932 Times in 3,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nah View Post
When can we have the tolls back? This experiment obviously didn't work, admit to it and move on.
Generally speaking you'd want more than a month worth of data to make that call. If they do bring tolls back they need a better system for out of towners because what they had before was absolute shit if you weren't a local.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2017, 10:20 AM   #199
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Removing tolls, increasing congestion to the port Mann. Then cancelling the widening of hwy1 216 to 264 which would have alleviated a lot of the congestion.
I'm trying to think of a sensible explanation for these actions and I can't
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:23 AM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Removing tolls, increasing congestion to the port Mann. Then cancelling the widening of hwy1 216 to 264 which would have alleviated a lot of the congestion.
I'm trying to think of a sensible explanation for these actions and I can't
I'll tell you how it is perfectly sensible to Anger Management Horgan -- because it helped him win the election.
This post thanked by: