REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:37 PM   #26
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,800 Times in 1,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Who the fuck is Peng? Some Taiwanese candidate?

ffs it's P.Eng.
Well la dee dah
Advertisement
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:33 PM   #27
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
*La di da

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:10 PM   #28
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Say waat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Christy studied poli science but never attained any degree from any post secondary school, like it or not she did a pretty decent job of running the province for more than a decade.
Last I checked, Christy Clark was only in office between March 2011 - July 2017. That isn't even 7 years, let alone more than a decade. She has been involved in different aspects of the provincial government for over 10 years, but that is not the same as "running the province", where the premier provide a leading direction, set your governmental agendas, and determine your provincial priorities.

Quote:
Political leaders, for the most part, are just figure heads anyways, and imo Watts would be the perfect leader to get the liberals back in power because they will most likely just leverage her previous achievements as mayor into a likable party leader, backing a toned down liberal agenda.
I would also disagree with this. It is true that political leaders do not usually get involved at a hands-on level with policy implementation. But as I have just indicated above, a proper political leader shapes the direction and priorities of the government. More often than not, they also set the tone on how their government approach things. A bad political leader -- there is no better current or recent example than Trump -- will cause the government to indefinitely stall on its policy implementation & execution. A good leader, on the other hand, will get things done and have their names engraved in the history books -- case in point, Obama got ACA / Obamacare implemented, and we know that isn't going away any time soon.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:36 PM   #29
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
I figured most people wouldn't be worried about my spelling of P.Eng given the amount of fucks, and cunts and other colourful language I use in my posts probably proves I'm just an uneducated schmuck.
PQS mang...your word is God

Quote:
Who the fuck is Peng? Some Taiwanese candidate?

ffs it's P.Eng.
professional engineers often use these variations of P.Eng. -> P.Eng PEng

never would have expected this topic of conversation to come up on RS

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:02 PM   #30
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,278 Times in 1,968 Posts
Another ex-mayor wants to join the race.

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/new...beandmail.com&

Quote:
The race to lead the BC Liberals, now out of power for the first time in 16 years, has picked up steam with a pair of candidates – a former Vancouver mayor and a recent education minister – declaring on Thursday that they will run for job.

They join Conservative MP Dianne Watts, a former mayor of the City of Surrey, who will launch her campaign on Sunday, a source in her campaign confirmed this week. A spokesperson for Ms. Watts said she would not comment further before her announcement.

Several former cabinet ministers have also been talking about bids to replace former premier Christy Clark without actually jumping in.

On Thursday, however, Mike Bernier, an education minister under Ms. Clark, said in a statement that he will launch his leadership bid in Dawson Creek, where he has lived for 24 years, on Saturday and then go to Vancouver on Monday to further talk about his campaign.

Also, Sam Sullivan, Vancouver's mayor from 2005 to 2008 and now an MLA representing Vancouver-False Creek, said in an interview that he will run a provocative campaign to win the leadership of the BC Liberals.

Mr. Sullivan said his policy proposals include reviving the controversial harmonized sales tax under a new name – the modified sales tax, privatizing elements of health care, higher density to allow more and cheaper housing, and a binding royal commission to eliminate redundancies among fire, police and emergency services. He also said he would like to sell government liquor stores to their employees.

Former premier Gordon Campbell introduced the HST after the Liberals won a majority government in 2009, even though he had ruled it out during the campaign. Controversy over the plan led to Mr. Campbell's resignation in 2010 as well as a 2011 referendum in which the majority of voters rejected the tax.

In an interview, Mr. Sullivan said the HST has been endorsed by many economists. "Now that we're over the emotional part of [the HST], we can have a rational discussion," he said.

Mr. Sullivan described his embrace of controversial policies as a strategy to garner winning support. "Each of these positions is probably not recommended individually, but each has a small but ardent constituency. I feel that if I could weave those different constituencies together, it could end up being a winning formula."

Mr. Sullivan said he is running to win or identify a prospective winner he can throw his support behind. He also said his goal is to rally younger and urban people to the Liberal party, winning back votes that may have gone to the BC Green Party in the previous election.

Mr. Sullivan, who is quadriplegic, said he will be fine travelling the province looking for votes in a winter campaign. He said that when he has shown up in places that aren't accessible, he highlights shortfalls requiring action. Of the necessary travel ahead, Mr. Sullivan said: "It's all possible. It's all doable with a little willpower."

Mr. Sullivan was a long-time city councillor, who eventually became mayor under the Non-Partisan Association banner. He was challenged and replaced as NPA candidate ahead of the 2008 election in which Gregor Robertson, representing the Vision Vancouver party, became mayor.

Asked what he expected provincial Liberals to make of that situation, Mr. Sullivan said, "That was clearly not the best outcome." He said he learned lessons, including ensuring all caucus members feel valued and have a vital role.

Under Mr. Campbell and Ms. Clark, the BC Liberals dominated politics for 16 years until voters gave them a minority in the May election. The Liberals lost a no-confidence vote to the combined forces of the NDP and the BC Greens, allowing the NDP to take control.

Former cabinet ministers Todd Stone, Andrew Wilkinson and Mike de Jong have all said they are considering leadership bids along with Michael Lee, a business lawyer who won the riding of Vancouver-Langara in the last election. Several candidates are expected to enter the race next week.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:06 PM   #31
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
In most cases yes, yes it does.

Especially when that field of education is relevant to the position.

You can't even begin to qualify to be an M.D. or Peng etc. without the supporting education and certifications. You can't exactly be stupid to get those.
"The road to hell is paved in ivy league degrees"
Thomas Sowell

No one is saying he's stupid. That's not to say his credentials make him anymore capable to lead the province
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:12 PM   #32

i want a PhD and Masters degree from King's Lake University

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

Old 09-22-2017, 08:53 AM   #33
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
PQS mang...your word is God

professional engineers often use these variations of P.Eng. -> P.Eng PEng

never would have expected this topic of conversation to come up on RS
Yeah, but never "peng"

I guess I'll go flash around my bs now (Bachelor of Science, that is)

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:40 AM   #34
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,334 Times in 5,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Say waat?

Last I checked, Christy Clark was only in office between March 2011 - July 2017. That isn't even 7 years, let alone more than a decade. She has been involved in different aspects of the provincial government for over 10 years, but that is not the same as "running the province", where the premier provide a leading direction, set your governmental agendas, and determine your provincial priorities.

I would also disagree with this. It is true that political leaders do not usually get involved at a hands-on level with policy implementation. But as I have just indicated above, a proper political leader shapes the direction and priorities of the government. More often than not, they also set the tone on how their government approach things. A bad political leader -- there is no better current or recent example than Trump -- will cause the government to indefinitely stall on its policy implementation & execution. A good leader, on the other hand, will get things done and have their names engraved in the history books -- case in point, Obama got ACA / Obamacare implemented, and we know that isn't going away any time soon.
Mixed my liberal rule with Christy's rule, although even 7 years for somone with no post secondary education, if they have as much control as you are assuming, you've got to give her credit for the job she did.

Also in your second example, i'm pretty sure history already views obama as the nice, charismatic guy, who could never push through anything through, quite the opposite of what you're describing there. Outside of Obamacare, his failure to change gun laws, foreign policy, job creation, econominc stimulus, etc. etc. time after time getting shot down in congress is a huge point of contention with Obamas presidency. As far as i understand at least.

In regards to Sam Sullivan, i think his platform actually has some merit from what ive heard, however i will never forget a chance encounter i had with him which has kind of soured me on him as some sort of leader forever lol..

Was walking through Yaletown one day, i believe when he was still mayor, and he wheeled out of the doorway of a restaurant right in front of me. I obviously recognized him instantly and politely said, "Good day Mayor"

he looked at me with like a terrified surprised and kind of cowered away from me in his chair and scooted off without saying a word... I was dressed alright as i was going out for dinner, fairly clean cut, harmless looking white guy, and he looked as if i was going to mug him for his chair
Old 09-22-2017, 04:51 PM   #35
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,168 Times in 7,157 Posts
You must have done something weird haha.
Sully has always been unbelievably friendly in my encounters with him. Him as a leader would make me consider the libs again. They are such a fucked up party here though. Its like they try and encompass a conservative/liberal/NDP style of platforms and you don't really know what you are going to get in any given situation.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:40 PM   #36

Quote:
Yeah, but never "peng"

I guess I'll go flash around my bs now (Bachelor of Science, that is)
i always like to throw around my bs (i do not have a bachelor of science)

someone asked me proofread something for them once...i ask why me?
she says...b/c you have an English degree...i'm like wuchutalkinboutwillis????

she asks: you have a B.Eng. right?

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote: