REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:42 PM   #1
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,446 Posts
Dianne Watts to seek BC Liberal leadership, step down as Conservative MP

https://globalnews.ca/news/3759980/d...al-leadership/

Quote:
Surrey Conservative MP Dianne Watts is set to step down from her federal seat and run for the leadership of the BC Liberal Party.

Watts, the former three-term mayor of Surrey, has long been speculated as a candidate to lead the BC Liberals, who became the opposition after the BC NDP formed a minority government with the support of the Greens.

She’s expected to announce her run for the leadership on Sunday.
Not good for the BC liberals.

Looks like Herb Dhaliwal is also thinking of running.

http://desibuzzbc.com/2017/09/19/bro...al-leadership/

Quote:
ell known Indo-Canadian businessman and veteran federal Liberal Harbance Singh (Herb) Dhaliwal, who was first elected to the Canadian House of Commons in the 1993 election as the Liberal Member of Parliament (MP) for Vancouver South, is testing the waters for a BC Liberal leadership run, which currently has a front-runner in Dianne Watts, who also has not officially announced her leadership bid but is well underway in fundraising and membership sign-ups.

BC-Liberal Contenders-WattsSeveral sources told DESIBUZZCanada that many of Dhaliwal’s supporters including his family members have been phoning prominent people in the Indo-Canadian and mainstream communities to seek support for a possible Dhaliwal candidacy.

DESIBUZZCanada originally broke the story that BC Liberal leadership contest was well on its way after former Premier Christy Clark failed to win a majority in the May provincial election and fell one seat short of forming another BC Liberal government. At the time, we featured many names as would-be candidates, including Contenders, No Chance Candidates and Dark Horses but at the time there was no Brown Horse in the picture as one of Dhaliwal’s supporters called him.

“Brown Horse to the rescue of the BC Liberal party,” one Dhaliwal supporter mused to DESIBUZZCanada, saying a big LOL at the end. “We are encouraging Herb to run and he will be a sane voice in the party that has veered too far to the right and is out of touch with regular British Columbians. Herb is a great leader and I think he will become the first elected Indo-Canadian Premier despite all the nonsense about Ujjal Dosanjh being the first Indo-Canadian Premier by winning the party leadership and inheriting the Premiership. He was never elected, in fact he led the NDP to one of it’s worst losses in BC.”

Herb-Dhaliwal-BC-Libs3Dhaliwal, who was part of Prime Minister Jean Chrétien’s Cabinet (the first Indo-Canadian to become a federal cabinet minister) in 1997 as Minister of Revenue, later held other portfolios including Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, and in 2002 Minister of Natural Resources and Minister with political responsibility for British Columbia.

Dhaliwal was a big supporter of Chrétien and fought against Paul Martin's attempt to force the Liberal leader out and was forced out of politics along with Chretien by Martin's campaign team. Dhaliwal publicly denounced Martin's campaign team for this, and criticized them for restricting access to Liberal Party membership forms.

Allegations were made by Warren Kinsella, among others, that Martin's team exploited the fact that Dhaliwal's wife was suffering from cancer, although Dhaliwal was not with his wife, but rather travelling out of the country on the date of his riding's annual general meeting, which he lost. Dhaliwal’s wife eventually passed away and remarried several years later but has never returned to politics.

Born in India at Chiheru, Punjab in 1952, Dhaliwal's family emigrated to Vancouver when he was six. He attended John Oliver Secondary School, graduating in 1972.

Herb-Dhaliwal-BC-LibsDhaliwal is currently married to Dr. Neelu Kang Dhaliwal, PhD (Sociology) who has a son from her previous marriage, Chandraveer Kang Dhaliwal. Herb's first marriage was to Amrit Dhaliwal, who died of cancer in 2004. He has three children from his first marriage, Andrea, Justin and Jessica.
Advertisement
Old 09-20-2017, 08:43 PM   #2
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,239 Times in 5,600 Posts
Not good? She’s probably the best candidate possible.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:47 PM   #3
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Why not good? She seems doing ok.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:58 PM   #4
SiRVs up, dude

Quote:
Conservative MP Dianne Watts is set to step down from her federal seat and run for the leadership of the BC Liberal Party.
Why can't they just freaking rebrand the BC NDP to = BC Liberals and the BC Liberals to be the BC Conservatives.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:28 PM   #5
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,141 Times in 385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiRV View Post
Why can't they just freaking rebrand the BC NDP to = BC Liberals and the BC Liberals to be the BC Conservatives.
Probably because there are too many people who vote based on the party name or colour. Just like how im sure a lot of people voted NDP, not because they wanted NDP but because they didn't want Christy Clarke. Same with Trudeau and Harper, people voting red because they didn't want the man in front of the blue.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:02 PM   #6
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,577 Times in 4,294 Posts
This is the best possible move, I will vote for her!!
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-20-2017, 10:11 PM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,062 Times in 1,249 Posts
Liberals need young blood

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:18 AM   #8
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,232 Times in 2,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
She’s probably the best candidate possible.
While I agree with this comment, I'd also have to wonder -- how fundamentally different would a Dianne Watts Liberals be compared to the final term Gordon Campbell Liberals, and the Christy Clark Liberals?
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:34 AM   #9
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Not good for the BC liberals.
Do you have any coherent reason for saying this? Is she not sjw enough for you?

I think watts did a great job running surrey and there's a very good chance of her being the next premier if she throws her hat in the ring
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:02 AM   #10
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,768 Times in 1,750 Posts
Quote:
Not good? She’s probably the best candidate possible.
I'd prefer Andrew Wilkinson.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
I'd prefer Andrew Wilkinson.
I think the libs have a better chance with someone who wasnt directly affiliated with the previous regime as opposed to Wilkinson in the former attorney general i believe?

I'm not disagreeing that he wouldn't be the better choice, i just think the libs have a better shot with watts, especially with the shift in voters that happened in surrey.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
Do you have any coherent reason for saying this? Is she not sjw enough for you?

I think watts did a great job running surrey and there's a very good chance of her being the next premier if she throws her hat in the ring
I was in a rush to leave when I posted. Here is my reasons.

I know the federal and provincial party are different but for many people having a conservative taking over the Liberal party is not good. How long before someone brings up the barbaric cultural practices hotline.

The province is moving more left and the liberals need someone who can get votes from the center left and center right. I don't think she can get votes from the center left.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:58 AM   #13
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,232 Times in 2,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
The province is moving more left and the liberals need someone who can get votes from the center left and center right. I don't think she can get votes from the center left.
Manic, I think you're giving people too much credit in terms of their own political understandings. A gob ton of people are simply going to think that -- hey, Watts did a bang up job in running Surrey! She has both municipal and federal experience, so she'll do good at the provincial level too! I hate the NDP and she is not Christy Clark! Let's vote for her.

Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2017, 10:10 AM   #14

Quote:
I think the libs have a better chance with someone who wasnt directly affiliated with the previous regime as opposed to Wilkinson in the former attorney general i believe?

I'm not disagreeing that he wouldn't be the better choice, i just think the libs have a better shot with watts, especially with the shift in voters that happened in surrey.
On the flip side I think Watts' association as a federal conservative could hurt her and the party, especially with some of the attack ads she endorsed:

Dianne Watts facing scrutiny over campaign flyer - British Columbia - CBC News

Before politics Wilkinson was a medical doctor and also has a degree in law and worked in a law firm. Diane Watts was a stay at home mom.

I know who I feel is more educated and qualified to run a province...
Plus I met him in person and he left a good impression on me.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 09-21-2017, 10:16 AM   #15

No one talking about Herb? I think he would make a great leader.

Last edited by Manic!; 09-21-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Manic! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:34 AM   #16

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
If Watts runs for the leadership she will win easily IMO.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:53 AM   #17
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Quote:
On the flip side I think Watts' association as a federal conservative could hurt her and the party, especially with some of the attack ads she endorsed:

Dianne Watts facing scrutiny over campaign flyer - British Columbia - CBC News

Before politics Wilkinson was a medical doctor and also has a degree in law and worked in a law firm. Diane Watts was a stay at home mom.

I know who I feel is more educated and qualified to run a province...
Plus I met him in person and he left a good impression on me.
Education /= smart and qualified. translink have a lot of managers and CEO with good education but look how shitty it is run.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2017, 12:11 PM   #18

In most cases yes, yes it does.

Especially when that field of education is relevant to the position.

You can't even begin to qualify to be an M.D. or Peng etc. without the supporting education and certifications. You can't exactly be stupid to get those.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 09-21-2017, 12:33 PM   #19
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
In most cases yes, yes it does.

Especially when that field of education is relevant to the position.

You can't even begin to qualify to be an M.D. or Peng etc. without the supporting education and certifications. You can't exactly be stupid to get those.

I don't agree with this statement. you can entirely be stupid to get any number of degrees. all you need to be able to do is remember things you read.

My opinion on formal old school education could be its own thread... but real world application of your knowledge is far more important than any specific letters after your name.

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:59 PM   #20

Law degree's are one of the only ones which is directly relevant to politics imo.

Christy studied poli science but never attained any degree from any post secondary school, like it or not she did a pretty decent job of running the province for more than a decade.

Political leaders, for the most part, are just figure heads anyways, and imo Watts would be the perfect leader to get the liberals back in power because they will most likely just leverage her previous achievements as mayor into a likable party leader, backing a toned down liberal agenda.

If they do it right, NDP wont be in power 4 years from now imo. They've already shot themselves in the foot enough times to turn the opinion of your typical dummy 1 topic voter, and Watts is likeable enough and a personable enough to sway those idiots who dont know shit about anything when they walk into the voters box..

still a chance for my dream threesome...

+

Old 09-21-2017, 01:13 PM   #21
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Quote:

Spoiler!

"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2017, 01:21 PM   #22
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carisear View Post
I don't agree with this statement. you can entirely be stupid to get any number of degrees. all you need to be able to do is remember things you read.

My opinion on formal old school education could be its own thread... but real world application of your knowledge is far more important than any specific letters after your name.
I agree, getting your degree has very little to do with practical knowledge, you can be good at school but suck outside of it.

But to complete becoming both an acredited MD and Peng obviously means someone isn't stupid, because both those accreditation require loads of practical experience in each field.

I'll post face this with the following real life experience: I've met plenty of engineering graduates who are fucking stupid. I have yet to meet any Accredited Professional Engineers who are willingly and knowingly stupid.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2017, 01:26 PM   #23
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,214 Posts
Who the fuck is Peng? Some Taiwanese candidate?

ffs it's P.Eng.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Law degree's are one of the only ones which is directly relevant to politics imo.

Christy studied poli science but never attained any degree from any post secondary school, like it or not she did a pretty decent job of running the province for more than a decade.

Political leaders, for the most part, are just figure heads anyways, and imo Watts would be the perfect leader to get the liberals back in power because they will most likely just leverage her previous achievements as mayor into a likable party leader, backing a toned down liberal agenda.

If they do it right, NDP wont be in power 4 years from now imo. They've already shot themselves in the foot enough times to turn the opinion of your typical dummy 1 topic voter, and Watts is likeable enough and a personable enough to sway those idiots who dont know shit about anything when they walk into the voters box..

If they can stay in power for that long. So far they seem to be doing a pretty fine job of handing out free money while taxing everyone who works.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #25
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Who the fuck is Peng? Some Taiwanese candidate?

ffs it's P.Eng.
I figured most people wouldn't be worried about my spelling of P.Eng given the amount of fucks, and cunts and other colourful language I use in my posts probably proves I'm just an uneducated schmuck.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by: