REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-07-2017, 08:36 AM   #51
adc
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Just going to add my 2cents here as someone who worked for Chrysler in the past at a different dealer

The grand caravan takes 5w20 conventional oil but at the price of 100+ there should be an accompanying inspection done (brakes, tire depth, fluid check + top up, lights, battery test, etc) as well as tire rotation done. Price is fair if that has been done.

Emissions flush is their way of saying fuel injector service. At the dealer I worked for it was a recommended maintenance service at 36000km which is essentially a pure cash grab at that mileage. 1.0 hours labour for disconnecting a fuel line and connecting the machine in line while you can the go for a smoke and coffee and return 15 minutes later and it's all done. They don't call it gravy for no reason.

As for the throttle body service, I only worked there for a year and I never heard of this service nor do I believe I ever saw another tech doing this "service" my guess is it is another jacked up "recommended" dealer service they created. The dealership had their own recommended preventative maintenance schedule that they would push on customers as to what was recommended in the owners manual. Can you guess which one had more gravy in it?

Your mom got hustled in the end of it, an honest SA will explain the work being done, and only recommend things that should be done. People being their cars to the dealer because they say it's hard to find a reputable mechanic. Just because it's a dealership doesn't mean they won't rip you off any harder than some Indy shop.
Advertisement
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2017, 08:50 AM   #52
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Factory suggested vs Dealer suggested.. all dealers will do it. all indie shops will do it.

Onus is on the customer to review information to their own vehicle.. IE reading owners manual, knowing the fuel grade to use. Tire pressure etc etc

(as an aside it not a excuse to say they cant read English all manufactures offer the manual in a verity of different languages)
About kkthind: [22-12, 22:55] ts14 hes so white that if he was a cop, he would beat ts14 for beinng surrey
kross9 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2017, 09:15 AM   #53
My homepage has been set to RS

I was watching on cbc marketplace they did a episode of dealerships service departments trying to upsell BS that the service manual did not recommend. It is pretty interesting to see how stealerships can go out and rape the customers.
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:53 PM   #54
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
so did you read the owners manual before your claims against the dealership or after i had posted it up?

the owners manual will post the BARE BASIC MINIMUMS. it does not list when to change tires, where you should do your brakes, brake fluid, wiper blades, if being 4wd, differential fluids, transfer case fluids, lubricating of drive shafts if have grease points, topping of washer fluid, battery intervals, fuel filters, the list can get long... these are left up to the owner and dealership to educate. Some of these are based on the owners driving characteristics and cannot be given an exact number when it should be replaced.

if you argue, but your mom drives and she doesnt drive alot, it still comes down to your mom doing 35,000km in 20months. the interval reconmendation by the owners manual that you posted is 1 year or 16,000km. so taking into account what was recorded at your invoice, your mom is doing 21,000km per year which is above the average BY BOOK. this then means some of these services would be due sooner by milage than by annual visit.

Sure, you can argue the multi point inspection is a great upsell tool. No one ever wants to hear that their car isnt perfect and needs something extra other than an oil change! You the consumer still has the ability to say NO.

Only in the auto industry will ppl say they been upsold. wont hear the same arguement with cell phones, or even the food industry. I GOT GOD DAMN UPSOLD A SKEWER OF SHRIMP ON MY STEAK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostaholic View Post
The link that said fuel induction service is from another independent dealer website trying to mislead customers. In the actual owners manual link you posted says nothing about fuel induction service. Here is the screen shot from the actual service manual:

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2017, 02:01 PM   #55
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

a throttle service has been added into the regular servicing intervals now as regulations on fuel consumption, economy and emissions got tighter and the introduction of electronically controlled throttles (drive by wire).

whats in the throttle body service? they clean the plate, and passage, and sensors. why? drive by wire, your foot push down on pedal, pedal activates potentiometer, sends signal to computer, computer controls throttle body, uses sensors to figure out how much to open, and close. ok, maybe not the best explanation and i bet a tech is gonna jump right in and correct me.

Was it an upsell? yeah probably, but as i posted, ive had a caravan, and i did my throttle body service ever oil change (on my own) which solved my stalling and idling issue, and i cleaned my MAF sensor as well. so thus, my opinion is bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Just going to add my 2cents here as someone who worked for Chrysler in the past at a different dealer

The grand caravan takes 5w20 conventional oil but at the price of 100+ there should be an accompanying inspection done (brakes, tire depth, fluid check + top up, lights, battery test, etc) as well as tire rotation done. Price is fair if that has been done.

Emissions flush is their way of saying fuel injector service. At the dealer I worked for it was a recommended maintenance service at 36000km which is essentially a pure cash grab at that mileage. 1.0 hours labour for disconnecting a fuel line and connecting the machine in line while you can the go for a smoke and coffee and return 15 minutes later and it's all done. They don't call it gravy for no reason.

As for the throttle body service, I only worked there for a year and I never heard of this service nor do I believe I ever saw another tech doing this "service" my guess is it is another jacked up "recommended" dealer service they created. The dealership had their own recommended preventative maintenance schedule that they would push on customers as to what was recommended in the owners manual. Can you guess which one had more gravy in it?

Your mom got hustled in the end of it, an honest SA will explain the work being done, and only recommend things that should be done. People being their cars to the dealer because they say it's hard to find a reputable mechanic. Just because it's a dealership doesn't mean they won't rip you off any harder than some Indy shop.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2017, 02:11 PM   #56
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

i will say thank you though. looking at the cost, makes my dealership prices look like a freakin bargain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostaholic View Post
The link that said fuel induction service is from another independent dealer website trying to mislead customers. In the actual owners manual link you posted says nothing about fuel induction service. Here is the screen shot from the actual service manual:

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors

This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2017, 02:14 PM   #57
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,505 Times in 3,051 Posts
Seems like a total up sell. This is why I never let my parents or wife or in laws take their car in for service. I always take it in myself. Yes it's a pain in the ass but I've gotten to know most of the dealership guys and we have a pretty good relationship.

Just for outrageous comparison. Maserati oil change is 1000 bucks... and it's pretty much just a regular oil change.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:30 PM   #58
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

but maserati's engine oil comes from 10,000 tears of a virgin italian synthetic fairy from the northern isolated italian ocean mountains that can only be gathered in the few short weeks in late fall every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Seems like a total up sell. This is why I never let my parents or wife or in laws take their car in for service. I always take it in myself. Yes it's a pain in the ass but I've gotten to know most of the dealership guys and we have a pretty good relationship.

Just for outrageous comparison. Maserati oil change is 1000 bucks... and it's pretty much just a regular oil change.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors

This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2017, 03:20 PM   #59
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabatron View Post
I was watching on cbc marketplace they did a episode of dealerships service departments trying to upsell BS that the service manual did not recommend.
Stumbled upon it last night. Eye openning.

Video.

Associated article.

Last edited by FlyinOrange; 10-07-2017 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Link fix up.
FlyinOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:08 PM   #60
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

The owner's manuals do talk about tire wear and when to replace them when worn to a certain limit etc. Most also say when to change diff fluid and other things, and if they don't, the maintenance intervals are listed on the manufacturer website. If the throttle body isn't listed then I don't see why it had to be done especially if there were no driveability issues. Sure , early and extra frequent maintenance is nice, but is it really necessary given the cost and questionable benefits when they aren't having any issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by !SG View Post
so did you read the owners manual before your claims against the dealership or after i had posted it up?

the owners manual will post the BARE BASIC MINIMUMS. it does not list when to change tires, where you should do your brakes, brake fluid, wiper blades, if being 4wd, differential fluids, transfer case fluids, lubricating of drive shafts if have grease points, topping of washer fluid, battery intervals, fuel filters, the list can get long... these are left up to the owner and dealership to educate. Some of these are based on the owners driving characteristics and cannot be given an exact number when it should be replaced.

if you argue, but your mom drives and she doesnt drive alot, it still comes down to your mom doing 35,000km in 20months. the interval reconmendation by the owners manual that you posted is 1 year or 16,000km. so taking into account what was recorded at your invoice, your mom is doing 21,000km per year which is above the average BY BOOK. this then means some of these services would be due sooner by milage than by annual visit.

Sure, you can argue the multi point inspection is a great upsell tool. No one ever wants to hear that their car isnt perfect and needs something extra other than an oil change! You the consumer still has the ability to say NO.

Only in the auto industry will ppl say they been upsold. wont hear the same arguement with cell phones, or even the food industry. I GOT GOD DAMN UPSOLD A SKEWER OF SHRIMP ON MY STEAK!!!
freelunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:08 AM   #61
RS controls my life!

When you read this thread, you can really see the difference between people that only live off hearsay over people who work in the automotive industry and people who work on their cars.

You know whats the worst thing about working in the automotive industry most people like us revsceners don't realize? The assholes and thiefs are the forum readers and car enthusiasts.

Everyone walks in with the assumption that anyone that works in the dealership is trying to rip you off. As soon as someone doesn't want to give you a discount on something or recommends something to you it's "you have huge margins, this is a b.s. charge to make a quick buck."

Because people think they will be scammed or lied to before they even come in, they treat everyone in the dealership like trash, lie to them about everything, and make big deals about everything and feel entitled to every free trinket, doodad and a large discount.

I just wish that they pass some law where everyone has to pay MSRP like everything else in world. Apple sells iPhones for 1000 dollars and up, and the same phone with a bigger HD will cost you a couple hundred bucks more. You don't go in and talk to the Apple Genius and call them all crooks and ask for free stuff or tell them to give you a 20% discount cuz their markup is huge. You just fork up the cash, grab your new phone and move on.

If you want a discount, then don't be an asshole. This isn't the 80s where no one knows how much a car is worth or how much it should be. That's what the internet is for. You can pretty much buy the car online before you touch the steering wheel.

Sorry. Big rant. But I thought it should be pointed out cause I read so much of it. At the end of the day, the guy your bitching about is doing the same thing you guys are doing somewhere else. Making money. It seems like the EFI while not listed in the scheduled maintenance might be a common issue on Caravan's since SG also felt he needed to do it every oil change. Have you ever thought that the service advisor recommended it to your mother, to help her and save her from potential headaches. When you think of the worst of people, or have preconceptions about things before you go in, You will always feel ripped off. Try to have an open mind and evaluate things on a broader scale. It might allow you to see things in different light and not be so angry about everything.
Leung_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-10-2017, 12:07 PM   #62
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leung_Dog View Post
When you read this thread, you can really see the difference between people that only live off hearsay over people who work in the automotive industry and people who work on their cars.

You know whats the worst thing about working in the automotive industry most people like us revsceners don't realize? The assholes and thiefs are the forum readers and car enthusiasts.

Everyone walks in with the assumption that anyone that works in the dealership is trying to rip you off. As soon as someone doesn't want to give you a discount on something or recommends something to you it's "you have huge margins, this is a b.s. charge to make a quick buck."

Because people think they will be scammed or lied to before they even come in, they treat everyone in the dealership like trash, lie to them about everything, and make big deals about everything and feel entitled to every free trinket, doodad and a large discount.

I just wish that they pass some law where everyone has to pay MSRP like everything else in world. Apple sells iPhones for 1000 dollars and up, and the same phone with a bigger HD will cost you a couple hundred bucks more. You don't go in and talk to the Apple Genius and call them all crooks and ask for free stuff or tell them to give you a 20% discount cuz their markup is huge. You just fork up the cash, grab your new phone and move on.

If you want a discount, then don't be an asshole. This isn't the 80s where no one knows how much a car is worth or how much it should be. That's what the internet is for. You can pretty much buy the car online before you touch the steering wheel.

Sorry. Big rant. But I thought it should be pointed out cause I read so much of it. At the end of the day, the guy your bitching about is doing the same thing you guys are doing somewhere else. Making money. It seems like the EFI while not listed in the scheduled maintenance might be a common issue on Caravan's since SG also felt he needed to do it every oil change. Have you ever thought that the service advisor recommended it to your mother, to help her and save her from potential headaches. When you think of the worst of people, or have preconceptions about things before you go in, You will always feel ripped off. Try to have an open mind and evaluate things on a broader scale. It might allow you to see things in different light and not be so angry about everything.
Your post was vague and seemingly contradictory, I didn't understand which side of the argument you were on until the last paragraph.

What really struck me, was that you want to make it a law that everyone pays MSRP? Like no matter how ridiculous Apple's pricing gets, I mean they are already making money hand over fist on every iPhone you sheeple buy, but regardless of whatever the next iPhone costs, you just want the government to force us to take it in the ass and pay it?

Have you lost your fucking mind? Do you know how bad what you are saying would be economically, as well as for the average citizen?

How would that impact an industry such as mine, where I bid projects based on a particular margin level. Projects I want or I know I need to be competitive, I bid with a lower margin, less desirable jobs I bid with a higher margin. By your logic, should the government intervene and say "No, you can only markup this much".

Am I misunderstanding what you are trying to say?

Spoiler!

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-10-2017, 01:08 PM   #63
I STILL don't get it

Quote:

Slow clap emoji
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:23 PM   #64
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:

So trust them. Yeah, just hand over the key and wallet, because I am sure they know everything.

No one here said to just go in dealerships and treat everyone like crap. Just watch out, because there are people who want to rip you off out there. If you don't educate yourself, you are subject to their frauds.

I still go to the Honda dealership part department near me even though I don't have a Honda anymore. One of the guys there is very pleasant to talk to, and I asked him for suggestions when buying summer tires, and I purchased them from him. Pretty happy with what he recommended.

And yeah, enforcing MSRP on cars is a pretty dumb idea. Are you just jealous of people who have a silver tongue and get a lot of money off their car purchase?

Last edited by UnknownJinX; 10-10-2017 at 07:07 PM.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-10-2017, 01:49 PM   #65
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Coffee and bo lo bao at my toyota dealer ship is worth the visit . They just need to supply the butter and microwave then it'd be golden.

Those who are uninformed are more likely to be taken to the cleaners. It's the service department's JOB to up-sell you. It's the dealers' bread and butter. I'm willing to bet that people just nod along without even thinking about it and think the dealer did and just blame the service guys.

Maybe people should start booking online now that the internet is literally all around us. Is it really that hard to pick and choose exactly what you want? There's no question anymore. The site tells you what is recommended as long as their vehicle miles are diligently entered, and you can choose whether or not you want to have a $25 cabin air filter changed for $60. It's not hard. As a younger generation, just do it for your parents and tell them to go in with no deviation to what is on there and you won't pay a cent more.

Not saying that dealers aren't a bit unethical, but seriously people have to start accepting responsibility for their own shit and take the time to do the due diligence to not get had. Don't wanna do an emission flush? don't choose it.

I've not once had to pay for anything more than an oil change if I only opted to do an oil change. Hot oil flush? just WOT on a fresh oil change.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-10-2017, 02:27 PM   #66
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Your post was vague and seemingly contradictory, I didn't understand which side of the argument you were on until the last paragraph.

What really struck me, was that you want to make it a law that everyone pays MSRP? Like no matter how ridiculous Apple's pricing gets, I mean they are already making money hand over fist on every iPhone you sheeple buy, but regardless of whatever the next iPhone costs, you just want the government to force us to take it in the ass and pay it?

Have you lost your fucking mind? Do you know how bad what you are saying would be economically, as well as for the average citizen?

How would that impact an industry such as mine, where I bid projects based on a particular margin level. Projects I want or I know I need to be competitive, I bid with a lower margin, less desirable jobs I bid with a higher margin. By your logic, should the government intervene and say "No, you can only markup this much".

Am I misunderstanding what you are trying to say?

Spoiler!
I don't think its crazy at all for people to pay the price a product is advertised at. All I meant is why is it different for cars compared to everything else we buy. For example, Best Buy is advertising an PS4 on sale at $399.99, I don't walk into the store at Metro and go "I'll take the PS4 for $300, if you don't sell it to me for that price I'll go to Wal Mart in Richmond and ask them." That just doesn't make sense. So why does that make sense for cars?

If Apple is Selling an iPhone for $5000 dollars, either no one will buy them or only people dumb and rich enough will. No one is forcing you to buy it. Why is it wrong for Apple to charge customers whatever they want? I'm not saying a government should enforce everyone to buy something, just enforce that cars can only be sold at prices advertised. You do know in other parts of the world, people don't negotiate on car prices. They just pay the MSRP?

Why can't we have that here. If you only have a budget of $40,000 for a car, Why do expect that a MSRP of $47,999 can fit your budget? Save more money or buy a cheaper car. They could lower the MSRP before they make the rule. It just makes life easier for everyone. Nobody will feel like they are getting ripped off for paying sticker price, people that don't know how to negotiate won't pay more and people that do negotiate won't be as annoying.

I hope that clear things up. It has nothing to do with you bidding for your jobs at work, I was just talking about the car purchasing and dealership experience in general.
Leung_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:30 PM   #67
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
think what leung dog is saying is to keep an open-mind...the few bad apples u see on cbc marketplace is not representative of everyone in that field, whether it's a dealer service dept, a dental office, or a lawyer's services.

edit: nevermind...I missed his point completely.

the iPhone comparison is flawed because it goes back to supply and demand. Enough people want it and there's parts constraints...it'll sell out at MSRP and people will pay a small premium for it on the grey market.

A big ticket item like an appliance, TV, car, house...you can negotiate those if they aren't moving...if it's not a better price it's for an extended warranty, options thrown in, etc.

which part of world are you referring to that pays MSRP on vehicles no questions asked?

Last edited by twitchyzero; 10-10-2017 at 02:38 PM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:51 PM   #68
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Quote:
Have you ever thought that the service advisor recommended it to your mother, to help her and save her from potential headaches. When you think of the worst of people, or have preconceptions about things before you go in, You will always feel ripped off. Try to have an open mind and evaluate things on a broader scale.
I guess anything is possible, but in my experience that's not very likely to be the case as it seems everyone I've had any experience with is either inept or a trying to rip you off (or both). If you do manage to find a knowledgeable and honest service advisor then stick with them because you just found the needle in the haystack.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:35 PM   #69
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I guess anything is possible, but in my experience that's not very likely to be the case as it seems everyone I've had any experience with is either inept or a trying to rip you off (or both). If you do manage to find a knowledgeable and honest service advisor then stick with them because you just found the needle in the haystack.
Same here. I've had one shop 'fix' an airbag issue by ripping the warning led out of the instrument cluster, another flood my alternator with oil (and not tell me about it), and one MC shop install a clutch that was engaged regardless how far in you pulled the lever (and claimed it just needed to 'break in').

My best consistent experience has been with the crew at BJPO - no Bimmer anymore, so back to rolling the dice.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:21 PM   #70

Quote:
I don't think its crazy at all for people to pay the price a product is advertised at. All I meant is why is it different for cars compared to everything else we buy. For example, Best Buy is advertising an PS4 on sale at $399.99, I don't walk into the store at Metro and go "I'll take the PS4 for $300, if you don't sell it to me for that price I'll go to Wal Mart in Richmond and ask them." That just doesn't make sense. So why does that make sense for cars?

If Apple is Selling an iPhone for $5000 dollars, either no one will buy them or only people dumb and rich enough will. No one is forcing you to buy it. Why is it wrong for Apple to charge customers whatever they want? I'm not saying a government should enforce everyone to buy something, just enforce that cars can only be sold at prices advertised. You do know in other parts of the world, people don't negotiate on car prices. They just pay the MSRP?

Why can't we have that here. If you only have a budget of $40,000 for a car, Why do expect that a MSRP of $47,999 can fit your budget? Save more money or buy a cheaper car. They could lower the MSRP before they make the rule. It just makes life easier for everyone. Nobody will feel like they are getting ripped off for paying sticker price, people that don't know how to negotiate won't pay more and people that do negotiate won't be as annoying.

I hope that clear things up. It has nothing to do with you bidding for your jobs at work, I was just talking about the car purchasing and dealership experience in general.
It's pretty easy to understand.

Electronic shops like Best Buy and Apple Stores are chains. You don't have shops of the same chain competing against each other. You just get whatever from the store closest to you. Their employees get paid by hours.

Dealerships, on the other hand, are mostly independent business. For the most part, the cooperation has almost nothing to do with the dealerships. Dealerships of the same make also compete against each other, and their employees' salaries are dependent on how much they do or sell.

Again, nothing forbids people from buying a car for below the MSRP price. It also helps dealership in some cases, as new MT cars and leftover models are pretty difficult to sell.

And in some cases, the negotiation/bargaining rule is the opposite in the rest of the world. You don't go in markets here and bargain, but in China, everyone does that in markets.

If you don't like dealerships, buy a Tesla.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-10-2017, 07:34 PM   #71
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Or a Genesis
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:21 AM   #72
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
And in some cases, the negotiation/bargaining rule is the opposite in the rest of the world. You don't go in markets here and bargain, but in China, everyone does that in markets.
Amen to that - there seems to be a discomfort in parts of Western culture with the perceived 'confrontational' aspect of bartering/negotiation. Given that it can have a significant impact on cash inflow (salary) and major outflow (real estate + automobile) - the sooner embraced, the better.

Yale had an interesting paper that examined the relationship of myopic (uninformed) + sophisticated (informed) consumers and the companies they would purchase goods and services from. Long story, short - for the consumers, the former subsidise the latter. Long live the myopic consumer
Old 10-11-2017, 06:47 AM   #73
Boost Lee

The best advise I can get anyone going to get maintenance work done on their car at a dealership or indy shop and "extra add on work" comes into the conversion is to ask if it is necessary at this time. They will usually respond by saying, yes due to mileage unless the tech has physically seen the problem. You can always decline the extra work and think about it, do research, ask someone knowledgeable about vehicles, ask cortana, etc., make sure it hasn't already been done.

You can always go back to get the "extra add on" work done if you feel it is required. Just read my post #47 and ask questions.
1BADMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-11-2017, 12:57 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADMR2 View Post
The best advise I can get anyone going to get maintenance work done on their car at a dealership or indy shop and "extra add on work" comes into the conversion is to ask if it is necessary at this time. They will usually respond by saying, yes due to mileage unless the tech has physically seen the problem. You can always decline the extra work and think about it, do research, ask someone knowledgeable about vehicles, ask cortana, etc., make sure it hasn't already been done.

You can always go back to get the "extra add on" work done if you feel it is required. Just read my post #47 and ask questions.
I couldn't have said it better.

Apparently, some dealerships force you to buy stuff by taking away your key in the State. Of course, call the cops and they just magically give the key back to you.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:12 PM   #75
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

when I worked at the dealership as an SA, we would have weekly contests to promote maintenance stuff, I've sold a hot oil flush as part of the vehicles first oil change