REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-03-2017, 03:17 PM   #51
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNguyen View Post
Giving my 2 weeks man. Gonna explore something more rewarding. I always wanted to travel. I regret not doing enough of that in my 20s
During this time in which "you didn't travel enough" were you working towards a goal? a car? condo? house? investments? anything to the betterment of your life that resulted in not traveling enough?

btw. which union is governing your contract? 13 years and you're getting beat for advancements by your underlings? Unions are notorious for "pay for seniority" not "pay for performance". The case is so long as you have the potential capabilities to learn the next senior job in line, you're usually heavily considered based on seniority.
Advertisement
Gh0st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:34 PM   #52
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Giving my 2 weeks man. Gonna explore something more rewarding. I always wanted to travel. I regret not doing enough of that in my 20s
I am in my lates 30s and still doesn't travel. I blame my parents lol. Everytime I mention I want to travel to keep saying is expensive and I should save up for an apartment and then upgrade to a house later...
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:34 PM   #53
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
I walked out on a few jobs mainly because my bosses sucked and I already had something better to go to. Mostly when I was in school.

- Bookkeeper for local accountant while I was in high school; she would often pay me late and, when she did, she'd short-change me. She would freak out on me for not being on time even though I was early (got off school at 2:17, usually get there between 2:30 and 2:45, wasn't supposed to start until 3, would freak out claiming I was supposed to start at 2 when obviously I would be in school and then tell me she was docking pay for being late). Found a new job (below) and just stopped showing up.

- Bookkeeper for local greenhouse while I was in high school; tiny office in a greenhouse, no ventilation, working on a 33 MHz ancient piece of shit computer running Windows 3.1, temperature would often be in the mid-40s (thermometer in the office), boss was super gay and would dress and act inappropriately at times (i.e. Tell me I don't have to wear a shirt if I don't want to then take his shirt off as if to make it okay), he would also get pissed off that bookkeeping was going too slow (dude, 33 MHz computer on Windows 3.1; it was 2001 IIRC ... My home computer was 1.6 GHz). Only reason I stuck around as long as I did was because it paid okay for a high school job. Eventually, it got to be too much when his long-time boyfriend broke up with him and he became a complete asshole, so I told him I wouldn't be coming into work tomorrow, he told me not to bother coming back, and then I just didn't show up again despite his apologies via voice mail. I was also working for Canadian Tire at the time, so I just started picking up more shifts there.

- Canadian Tire I actually walked out on twice. The first time, I got too sick to continue doing my job (shipping/receiving) and my doctor advised me to ask my employer to assign me light duties until after I recovered from surgery (surgery was 3 months away and then 6 months of recovery time where I wouldn't be able to work at all). My manager said no, told me to suck it up, and do my job for the next 3 months and then he'd consider laying me off during my recovery period so I could collect EI. I didn't even respond, just walked out of his office, got dressed, and left without telling anyone. He called my dad (they played hockey together) and told him I walked out on him. I told my dad why, he wasn't very impressed with my manager. I don't think they're friends anymore.

My surgery ended up being a 15-month wait instead of the 3-month wait my doctor had anticipated and the 6-month recovery period turned into 2 years thanks to several infections. Canadian Tire, with a new manager, hired me back for the Christmas season stocking shelves (light items primarily as I was still super weak from basically being mostly bedridden the prior 3 years). When spring rolled around, I was assigned to a new department (Gardening & Recreation) and my supervisor had it out for me because she was good friends with the previous manager. She would constantly assign me tasks she knew I was physically-incapable of doing by myself and would give me shit any time I asked for help or used equipment for heavy stuff (like, say, a cart or a handtruck). I was also hired by Staples that same Christmas season and was continuing to work part-time for both companies. She started intentionally scheduling me on days that I was working at Staples (Staples gave me my schedule a week before CT did their schedules and I always forwarded my schedule as soon as I got it to give them as much notice as possible) and would call my manager at Staples or come into Staples to create a scene. Eventually, my manager at Staples banned her from the store and the next day I worked at Canadian Tire, she gave me an ultimatum to pick one or the other. I said, "see ya" and walked out. She hit me in the back with a mug of pencils she had thrown and started screaming incoherently. She's a fucking basket case. I probably should've charged her with assault in retrospect, but whatever.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2017, 04:51 PM   #54
in the butt

Thanked 3,216 Times in 1,180 Posts
San Remo pizza in poco x years ago.

Cheap bosses, food is picked off the floor, you are expected to work for free.

I was giving the boss attitude, he said i should go, i said ok.

I walked over to the timesheets and took a photo of my recent hours, the boss asked me why im doing that.

"Because your the type of boss to not pay employees"
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:13 PM   #55
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
probably on behalf of your teammates, fuck you.

if you were feeling underappreciated, speak up

i was kinda on the other end of the stick and it's frustrating

i was p/t at a place for over a year, i put in my 101% at work although I take time offs I give them at least 3-4 months heads up. They fired me while I was away through E-mail and didn't even make the effort to tell me in-person. I at least deserved a sit-down...instead of letting someone who I've only met once or twice regurgitate the excuse on the phone. If there's a problem, communicate like an adult, like a how a healthy team is supposed to function. You let shit pent up, that's your own fault

luckily I built decent contacts in my field and was back in action in a week.

and for anyone else faking references, fuck you too.

when I was in the hiring position, I reverse search the E-mail/phone number to make sure it's verifiable online.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2017, 05:50 PM   #56
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
probably on behalf of your teammates, fuck you.

if you were feeling underappreciated, speak up

i was kinda on the other end of the stick and it's frustrating

i was p/t at a place for over a year, i put in my 101% at work although I take time offs I give them at least 3-4 months heads up. They fired me while I was away through E-mail and didn't even make the effort to tell me in-person. I at least deserved a sit-down...instead of letting someone who I've only met once or twice regurgitate the excuse on the phone. If there's a problem, communicate like an adult, like a how a healthy team is supposed to function. You let shit pent up, that's your own fault

luckily I built decent contacts in my field and was back in action in a week.

when I was in the hiring position, I reverse search the E-mail/phone number to make sure it's verifiable online.
Exactly this.

Just showing attitude and negative behavior is not clear enough to say that something is really bothering you. People will just think that you're just having one of those days that everyone goes through.

If it's seriously affecting you to quit your job, talk to someone.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:54 PM   #57
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Lol young people mentality

"Small inconvenience I can't handle it. I'm gonna walk out then cry to my mom"

So many resumes pass by my work and whenever we see people that can't hold a job it goes straight to the shredder.

You will always remain at a dead end job if you don't have thick skin.

Cadillac CTS (Current)
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2017, 06:31 PM   #58
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,075 Posts
Never walked out on a job but did walk out of an interview.. or was it an orientation? I wasn't an employee so not sure what to call it..

I responded to a "sales wanted" ad found in the Province newspaper back in the 90's (because that's where you looked for jobs back then) and got an interview out in New West. Drove my busted ass 86 Accord out there and there was a bunch of guys around my age sitting in a hallway who all likely responded to the same ad. Finally it was my turn to meet the boss and he wasted no time in telling me that he recognized talent and wanted me to start right away. Said if things went well I could have 8 people working for me within 6 months. Being young, naive (dumb) I fell for it, didn't ask a single question and got excited for my second interview the next day.

Next morning I arrive bright and early and go to the bosses office. There's some greasy older guy in there who is going to take me to the warehouse and show me what the job is all about. At this point I still have absolutely zero inkling of what the job actually entailed. We get to a van overloaded with boxes and start driving. We're headed to Ladner he tells me. I ask if that's where the warehouse is. Nope, he already went that's why the van is full. It wasn't until then did I start to get skeptic.

We get to Ladner and he opens some boxes. Shitty clocks, toys, misc crap inside. He starts talking to people in the streets. "See this clock? It's a $20 clock but today only I'm selling 2 for $10." Etc etc. Ugh.

I start following him around for 15-20 minutes, embarrassed with no idea what to do. And this guy was brutal. We walk into a restaurant and he's bugging customers who are eating. He actually went right back into the kitchen trying to flog this garbage to people cooking. I couldn't believe it.

We get outside the restaurant and I told him this isn't what I signed up for (without even knowing what I did sign up for lol) and to take me back to my car. At first he refuses saying I'll cost him half a day of sales if I don't stick it out with him. Told him that's not my problem and he can't keep me there... talk about an awkward drive back to New West. Not a single peep. Radio off in a dodge caravan with wood paneling. I'll never forget it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?

Last edited by punkwax; 11-03-2017 at 06:36 PM.
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2017, 06:46 PM   #59
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
The only time I walked out on my job was when we were forced to go on strike.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:32 PM   #60

Thanked 31,139 Times in 7,148 Posts
Do you respect your supervisor? Your work mates? If so, and you just walk out, especially over something trivial you spit in their faces.
So many people think they are "sticking it to the man" when they do stuff like this but the people that suffer are the ones that you have built relationships with.
Its one thing to have an actual issue where you can't handle it physically/mentally and you leave for your own well being, but the way you make it sound by being so entitled for your reference and your passiveness about it, it seems like you were just being a crybaby.
Quote:
Good question. Probably not. I'm just fed up need a change. Tired of seeing other getting promoted. While I've been stuck for years now.
You should probably look a little harder at why that is the case.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:37 PM   #61
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Not only that, but being down one person means others have to pick up the slack.

An extreme case, but when I was working at the fish processing plant, this one youngster just up and left. He was at a station near the end of the line. Shit jammed up and the machinery broke. Everything shut down before the end of one shift. Everybody got sent home. And it was on a stat holiday. Some of the senior workers lost a lot of wages. Dude's job was to check lubricant levels. Not a hard job. He got paid more than most of the workers. He could have at least waited till break. Never saw him again. Good thing, 'cause a lot of people wanted to beat the living snot out of him.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:53 PM   #62
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
I am in my lates 30s and still doesn't travel. I blame my parents lol. Everytime I mention I want to travel to keep saying is expensive and I should save up for an apartment and then upgrade to a house later...
If you really wanted to, you could just say fuck it and do it. People here in Van are very career driven, need nice cars/to own an apt or house/make a certain amount of money to live life the way they want. If that's their ultimate journey to happiness then shit by all means.
At the end of the day, you really need to think about what you're passionate about and what makes you happy then do it.
When you die you can't take that house with you..........or the money. But if you live your life on your terms, then you can die knowing you lived your best life.

To me, jobs are jobs. I work to live, I don't live to work. If I have to compromise a bit to be able to travel, I'll do it. If i have to travel on a budget, ill do it and I'll have fun doing it. Having a high paying career/owning my own place is not important to me and that's something I decided for myself when I came into my own.

Parents want what's best for you so they make suggestions, but only you know what's best. Can't blame your parents for your lack of action lol. You're grown - you should know by know how to be true to you regardless of societal expectations.
MSREE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:18 PM   #63
I STILL don't get it

Quote:

Lol alright but just cuz a reference isn't always legit doesn't always mean a person is a shit worker or left the company on bad terms.
What about Managers/Supervisors who overstep their boundaries?
I was a Supervisor as my last job and I ran an office in downtown. I worked 12 hour days, I ran Operations and Hospitality departments on my own with no help from my Ops Manager. I even had to take a 2 week unpaid medical leave...where I was EXPECTED to continue running a Hospitality dept. I showed up to work even when medically I wasnt supposed to, my eyes were almost swollen shut every morning. I also did my job with less than 2 days training before I was left on my own......I learned everything on the fly and by myself. My Ops Manager was also a relative......so I also was expected to do shit like schedule her oil changes, call the dealership if she was running late even tho she would call me just to tell me to do it, order pizza for her kids when they were at home cuz she was getting her hair done lol. I went through all the appropriate channels, had personal conversations about the overstepping of boundaries and it didn't work.

I did beyond what I was expected to do until I got sick and medically I had no choice but to quit. I helped with training of the secondary office and I was the one everyone called for help even after i had already left my job. Even though I left for a medical reason and she saw me suffer physically for a year, she was sour about me leaving. She also had the ear of the owner so I didn't know at the time she never told the owner my real reason of leaving. I only found out this year through my connections that me leaving was a catalyst for the owners to watch her behaviour and she was recently demoted.

I sure as shit was not going to trust my reference to her when other coworkers were telling me she would talk shit about me to the other office.

So while I'll accept your ignorant blanket statement, you should also know that references are good but not entirely indicative of someone's character and ability to fucking work so you can eat a bag of dicks lol.

Last edited by MSREE; 11-03-2017 at 11:24 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2017, 11:45 PM   #64

background check is usually part of the elimination process
if you're dishonest at stage 0, youre cut immediately even if you work harder than my grandparents
Old 11-03-2017, 11:57 PM   #65
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
background check is usually part of the elimination process
if you're dishonest at stage 0, youre cut immediately even if you work harder than my grandparents
and? Lmao if the jobs cut me because my reference is my equal and it's the Operations Supervisor of the secondary office that I trained and not my manager/owner because at the time I couldn't trust what was being said then obviously that's not the job I want.
I could run circles with my eyes closed around most workers and work without complaint while enduring a physically debilitating/life threatening medical condition. If a work place wants to cut a worker like that, who's loss is it? Sure as hell ain't mine. I been sick, close to death so let me tell you, jobs/work are not important in the grand scheme of things. Being a good person at every opportunity is.

My response is tailored to your choice of saying "fuck you" to all people who don't give a 100% correct reference. It's meant for education meaning you should know as a decent human being that shit happens and there are shitty upper level management workers who treat hard workers like shit. You can't place everyone under one basic assumption. People are failing me most likely because of my choice to disclose my reference for 1 job is not 100% but you guys don't even know the back story to that, which is what I'm providing LOL.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2017, 11:59 PM   #66
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSREE View Post
People are failing me most likely because of my choice to disclose my reference for 1 job is not 100% but you guys don't even know the back story to that, which is what I'm providing LOL.
Welcome to RS

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2017, 12:18 AM   #67
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Welcome to RS

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I do feel like one of the guys now
Old 11-04-2017, 08:51 AM   #68
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Tits or ban.

Someone had to say it......

Berz out.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:42 AM   #69

you just have to realize that the hiring process is not meant to be exhaustive...there's no time/resources to sit through all the cases in-depth

you give someone a valid reason to eliminate you...you won't make the cut...credible references are kinda important

last week I attended a multi-interview training at the university, guess what if you have 6 out of 8 very strong candidates, you still have to rate them from worst to best. It's a numbers' game.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:17 PM   #70

Thanked 3,846 Times in 885 Posts
it's been awhile since i've seen anything from CIC or Timpo, so RS was starting to get a little boring. But thankfully, new members are providing that much needed entertainment.
bobbinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 02:06 PM   #71
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
you just have to realize that the hiring process is not meant to be exhaustive...there's no time/resources to sit through all the cases in-depth

you give someone a valid reason to eliminate you...you won't make the cut...credible references are kinda important

last week I attended a multi-interview training at the university, guess what if you have 6 out of 8 very strong candidates, you still have to rate them from worst to best. It's a numbers' game.
Jesus Christ, do you read at all? I'm not arguing with you over the semantics over the hiring process. I was upper level management. Why don't you ask me what my previous job before that was? I was a hiring manager. I hired for BC Place, VCC, and Pemberton festival. Ive hired for concerts, FIFA games and high profile catering events. Ive staffed upwards of 80 men a day for jobs with companies like Ledcor, Axiom, EllisDon, etc. You don't need to school me in how people get hired LOL. I've dealt with drug addicts, alcoholics, criminals, & thieves every day. You really think people like this have CREDIBLE REFERENCES? Lol. You may have attended training and that's cute, honey. But I've lived and breathed hiring on a mass scale for years.

You said fuck you to people like me. I responded. I hit you with some facts and told you to eat a bag of dicks. There are people like me who worked hard, were in management ranks and STILL got fucked sideways by an upper level employee and didn't have the trust of the owner. In that case, what are people's options? You realize there are people who also lie on their actual resume? I know people who haven't graduated high school and they put it on that they have. They get interviews, they get good jobs and they rock the job. Do they not deserve that chance in a highly competitive employment market? Why not, if they can do the job?

If you hire based solely on checking a reference number online, you're also an idiot. People give personal numbers as well that obviously are not linked to the company. In a perfect world, where you could trust your bosses infinitely to treat you with the respect & appreciation you deserve then I could understand your need to condemn people who may fake a reference. But not everything is black and white like that. So why don't you take your grubby little fingers off reply and just finish rummaging through that bag of dicks you have there, pick the biggest cheesiest one, then choke on it?

When you're saying fuck you to a whole group of people and don't even have a clue what they've really been through or the reasoning behind their actions, you should expect someone like me to always give you a reality check.

Last edited by MSREE; 11-04-2017 at 02:18 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2017, 02:06 PM   #72
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,559 Times in 1,709 Posts
I think I've only walked out of a job once, and it was entry level, a very long time ago (fairly certain it was my first job, at Cactus Club, haha).

I would always recommend to never simply walk out of a job, especially if you are in a career professional type position. If I walked out of a job in my industry (which is quite niche), word would go around to other companies in the industry most definitely. Once you get a bad reputation in an industry, you're fucked.

For you, in meat packing, you're fine, do what you have to do (even if I wouldn't recommend it).

I recently quit my position at a large financial company to take on a role with a smaller boutique practice that had poached me. I was enticed by the better title and pay than that of my previous role.

Now I'm miserable. I had it quite good at my previous job, was able to work from home twice a week, was downtown, had coworkers that I liked and got along with. This new company has a lot of issues both structurally, and with employee engagement. It's quite the toxic atmosphere, which I was not aware of prior to accepting the role.

Here I am now making an additional 20K in salary from my previous position (which I was already being paid quite nicely), and I'm unhappy as hell. I've learned an important lesson from this, don't chase the money, grass is not greener on the other side, and when a company has to poach you with smoke and mirrors, it's usually a bad sign.

Would I ever walk out and quit? No damn way. You should always have a backup plan, and a new job in place. You'll be fine though, there's always something new out there, you will find another opportunity. As for references, that's negligible, you weren't working in a highly specialized career, use a friend or a previous colleague as a reference and keep it moving, and don't make that mistake again.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2017, 03:20 PM   #73

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
I'm impressed with the level of maturity in this thread - it's also a sign of the aging RS population.

10-15 years ago, I bet most of us would be applauding the OP for his actions.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2017, 03:28 PM   #74

Thanked 3,846 Times in 885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I'm impressed with the level of maturity in this thread - it's also a sign of the aging RS population.
most pages, maybe
bobbinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:57 PM   #75
SiRVs up, dude

Quote:
I could run circles with my eyes closed around most workers and work without complaint while enduring a physically debilitating/life threatening medical condition. If a work place wants to cut a worker like that, who's loss is it? Sure as hell ain't mine. I been sick, close to death so let me tell you, jobs/work are not important in the grand scheme of things. Being a good person at every opportunity is.
Sorry for your health issues, but the level of modesty in the paragraph above is a great indicator of the exact type of employee/co-worker I would not like to have.

Quote:
My response is tailored to your choice of saying "fuck you" to all people who don't give a 100% correct reference. It's meant for education meaning you should know as a decent human being that shit happens and there are shitty upper level management workers who treat hard workers like shit. You can't place everyone under one basic assumption. People are failing me most likely because of my choice to disclose my reference for 1 job is not 100% but you guys don't even know the back story to that, which is what I'm providing LOL.
Given the huge number of job's it seems you've been employed in, one would suspect that you could have at least ONE credible reference to use consistently... and not use your friend/pretend-supervisor.

Yes, people know shit things happen, and yes people know that there are often personality clashes within any given workplace. If that is clearly explained to your supervisor/potential reference, you can be a 'good human' by not lying, and being upfront and honest, rather than sly-ly dodging away like you're actually trying to hide something. But then again, if you're applying for jobs to paint nails or sort through job applications of druggies and criminals, then I suppose that's okay.