REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 11-25-2017, 02:37 PM   #26
x_x

One of my buddies was there already waiting in line so i only had to wait about 45mins~. But yeah saw people walking out with stacks of sticks taped together, lots of goalie pads/sticks too.

Picked up a couple CCM Ribcore Triggers 85 McDavid for 139.99 each. Also grabbed a Reebok 9k Girdle for 89.99.
Advertisement
jdmhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 05:24 PM   #27
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,141 Times in 385 Posts
Wonder if its worth going tmrw?
Old 11-25-2017, 07:26 PM   #28
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Went there around 1pm. Ended up getting a sumo goalie bag (last one left) goalie pants and a new stick.

I was really tempted to get a new blocker and catcher just because the price was good, but I talked myself out of it. I have enough to get me started and I'll wait until I'm more committed before upgrading.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-26-2017, 09:19 PM   #29
Banned (ABWS)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Went there around 1pm. Ended up getting a sumo goalie bag (last one left) goalie pants and a new stick.

I was really tempted to get a new blocker and catcher just because the price was good, but I talked myself out of it. I have enough to get me started and I'll wait until I'm more committed before upgrading.

I realized the set was a Source Exclusive with upgraded D3O additions like in the Pro version, so I went back today and bought it. Loool
Old 11-26-2017, 09:53 PM   #30
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

THS is restocking daily. I left with a bunch of gear. I'll probably go back tomorrow and look for some more good deals
Old 11-27-2017, 09:28 AM   #31

Quote:

I realized the set was a Source Exclusive with upgraded D3O additions like in the Pro version, so I went back today and bought it. Loool

What's u pay for that set in particular?
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:40 AM   #32
Banned (ABWS)?

Does it cost more for sharpening goalie skates? Do places make you pay the difference if you get one of those 10 sharpening punch out cards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi-revs View Post
What's u pay for that set in particular?
$354 before tax for blocker and glove.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:57 AM   #33

Went and picked up a x900 stick for $119. I think they are regularly 189-199.

If I'm still in town I plan on going Friday for the goalie skate release.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:24 PM   #34
Banned (ABWS)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjAlmeida View Post
Went and picked up a x900 stick for $119. I think they are regularly 189-199.

If I'm still in town I plan on going Friday for the goalie skate release.
What goalie skate release?
Old 11-27-2017, 03:54 PM   #35

Quote:
What goalie skate release?
Not saying they are going to be on sale. BUT, on their Instagram page, they commented on one of their photos saying they will be closing the doors from Tuesday to Thursday and reopening Friday with goalie skates.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:53 AM   #36
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Does it cost more for sharpening goalie skates? Do places make you pay the difference if you get one of those 10 sharpening punch out cards?
Nope it's the same.

Do note though- goalie skates have 2 steel widths: 3mm (All modern cowlingless Bauers for example) and 4mm (legacy width, almost all older skates are this).

A 4mm sharpen will feel sharper. For myself, I get my 4mm steel sharpened to 1/2, but I'd have to go to 3/8 on 3mm steel to get similar feel. Try a few hollows to see what gives you the best combo of bite and "shave" for pushes and shuffles.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:49 AM   #37

Looks like their full inventory of goal skates will be out on Friday at 40% off. I don't know what MAP stands for, but wonder if the sale will include the 1s skates
Old 11-29-2017, 11:07 AM   #38

Quote:
Looks like their full inventory of goal skates will be out on Friday at 40% off. I don't know what MAP stands for, but wonder if the sale will include the 1s skates
MAP just means Minimum Advertised Price

Publicly, retailers have to abide by manufacturer rules on minimum pricing for top tier items. That has no bearing on what happens in person at the actual store. Anyone who shops at camera stores will know this well. If you go into the store, you'll often see product below the MAP.

That said, they say "MAP items excluded" publicly to make the manufacturers happy. In reality, I bet you see 1s skates for 40% off.

I'm going to try and go before work on Friday. I hope the line isn't as long. I'd love to check out the Vapor skates and maybe pick up a Ritual X jock.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:59 PM   #39
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

I picked up a player Bauer 1x 75 flex non grip shaft anytime interested in buying it? Paid 100 after taxes. I'll sell for 100. Used it for warm up and didn't like the kick point
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:10 AM   #40
Banned (ABWS)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
Nope it's the same.

Do note though- goalie skates have 2 steel widths: 3mm (All modern cowlingless Bauers for example) and 4mm (legacy width, almost all older skates are this).

A 4mm sharpen will feel sharper. For myself, I get my 4mm steel sharpened to 1/2, but I'd have to go to 3/8 on 3mm steel to get similar feel. Try a few hollows to see what gives you the best combo of bite and "shave" for pushes and shuffles.
Apparently my feet are too wide for Bauer. I initially wanted the no cowl design just because it's the new tech, but I ended up getting CCM Ribcor 44k cause they fit me better (I wore the 6092 tacks too, but still ended up liking the 44k better)
Old 12-01-2017, 03:29 PM   #41

Went today at 10am. No lineup but a full parking lot. Lineup to try skates was about 10 deep so I said nope to that. Didn't catch the prices.

Tons of goalie gloves left, and a good amount of other goalie pieces left. I ended up buying 2 sticks and a couple of bags. Sticks flew off the shelves. Top end sticks were around 150-170. G3 Pros (pads) were 899 and was frantically looking for my size but they didn't exist.

There's a custom set of Premiers (top left of the goalie pad shelf along the wall). It's a size 32+2 iirc for 800. I was tempted but eventually decided against it. Looks like it had a few pucks hit it but otherwise it was in great shape.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:02 PM   #42

Went for skates this morning. S190 and 1s were $150 difference so I opted for the 1s. S190 were $330 I think and the 1s were $480.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:44 AM   #43
Banned (ABWS)?

So I played in net for the first time on ice yesterday. What an experience...

It's a lot harder to butterfly slide than I had imagine. I couldn't seem to get my skates to bite enough. The shop that sharpened my skates suggested I get 5/8 hollow. I'm wondering should I try 3/8 to help me get more bite?

I'm sure my technique could use improvement too, or maybe my toe ties are too tight so I'm not able to angle my skates enough to get enough blade contact? Do you guys put any thing on your pads to help it slide better? I've read people try scotchgard or sno seal. The ice surface gets pretty scuffed up after like 10 mins.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:43 PM   #44
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:

It's a lot harder to butterfly slide than I had imagine. I couldn't seem to get my skates to bite enough. The shop that sharpened my skates suggested I get 5/8 hollow. I'm wondering should I try 3/8 to help me get more bite?

I'm sure my technique could use improvement too, or maybe my toe ties are too tight so I'm not able to angle my skates enough to get enough blade contact? Do you guys put any thing on your pads to help it slide better? I've read people try scotchgard or sno seal. The ice surface gets pretty scuffed up after like 10 mins.
Goalies are all over the board when it comes to skate hollow. Go deeper if you don't feel like you are getting enough bite. Some goalies will also ask for their inside edges to be higher rather than being level.

How tight are you doing up your pads?
Old 12-02-2017, 01:48 PM   #45

Personally, I go with the sharpest player skatecut for my goalie skates.
As I'm 200lbs, I find that goalie cuts slide too much and I need to use too much effort to dig into the ice to shuffle/move.
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:02 PM   #46
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Hollows will vary depending on the shop you take it to. Each shop has their own "house cut" unless you request a specific hollow.

Cyclones on Oak Street does 1/2" player, 5/8" goal standard whereas Larry's Sports in North Van (I've had negative experiences with the owner here and do not recommend anyone patronizing this shop) does 3/8" for everything.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:33 AM   #47
Banned (ABWS)?

I got referred to get my skates sharpened at Max-Performance. A small shop, but skate sharpening is their bread and butter. Since I never played before, I didn't know what I wanted, so I just took his suggestion of 5/8", but he was very open on doing any hollow I wanted.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but I feel like going back and asking for 3/8" instead. I couldn't get any bite at all in my butterfly pushes.

Last edited by AzNightmare; 12-03-2017 at 12:39 AM.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:48 PM   #48

hard to find the right balance of sharpness and dullness. Personally I do not like a super sharp edge as I find myself shuffling and the skates grab more then I like. Also when I started out on ice, I came from ball hockey, I couldn't slide for the life of me in the butterfly. It came down to practice and getting used to doing it and finding a technique that worked for me.

i would wait before going in for a resharpen. Do a couple more sessions and watch some YouTube for help. I learned lots by watching videos.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:38 AM   #49
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,537 Times in 556 Posts
Quote:
hard to find the right balance of sharpness and dullness. Personally I do not like a super sharp edge as I find myself shuffling and the skates grab more then I like. Also when I started out on ice, I came from ball hockey, I couldn't slide for the life of me in the butterfly. It came down to practice and getting used to doing it and finding a technique that worked for me.

i would wait before going in for a resharpen. Do a couple more sessions and watch some YouTube for help. I learned lots by watching videos.
Completely agree with this. Play a few games and figure out your style, what you'd like to improve on, etc. You can determine from there whether you'd like more or less bite.

I'm a butterfly goalie and I personally get 3/8" because of the increased bite for butterfly slides and power pushes. When I first had it, it definitely took some getting used to.
FN-2199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:28 PM   #50

Quote:

Like some guys previously mentioned, don't resharpen so soon.

When I first started I thought "man I need 3/8ths I'm getting no bite at all!". After watching some video of myself I noticed that I wasn't loading my push leg enough to actually use the edges.

Another thing to note is when you're in butterfly, how high are you getting your push leg up to use your skate's attack angle? A sharp skate means nothing if you're not correctly lifting your leg, planting the edge into the ice, and transferring your weight.

Now granted, I ask for 1/2 knowing what I know now. Had I gone to 3/8 right away, I would've developed some other bad habit not being able to shuffle efficiently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
Goalies are all over the board when it comes to skate hollow. Go deeper if you don't feel like you are getting enough bite. Some goalies will also ask for their inside edges to be higher rather than being level.

How tight are you doing up your pads?
I read that they're under new management, so I'm guessing Danny is out. As much as that guy was a used-car salesman, he hooked me up with my pads and team jerseys at amazing prices. With him out I'm basically at square 1 with LHS hookups