REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:48 PM   #51
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Consider training too.
I do a weekly training session in Port Kells, on the ice. If you can survive an hour of goalie training, a game becomes so much easier.

Think about looking into goalie coaching, as it is a great way to gain knowledge in a controlled environment.
Advertisement
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:32 PM   #52
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjAlmeida View Post
Looks like their full inventory of goal skates will be out on Friday at 40% off. I don't know what MAP stands for, but wonder if the sale will include the 1s skates
Pretty good deal if 40% off. That's basically at cost.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:39 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
Like some guys previously mentioned, don't resharpen so soon.

When I first started I thought "man I need 3/8ths I'm getting no bite at all!". After watching some video of myself I noticed that I wasn't loading my push leg enough to actually use the edges.

Another thing to note is when you're in butterfly, how high are you getting your push leg up to use your skate's attack angle? A sharp skate means nothing if you're not correctly lifting your leg, planting the edge into the ice, and transferring your weight.

Now granted, I ask for 1/2 knowing what I know now. Had I gone to 3/8 right away, I would've developed some other bad habit not being able to shuffle efficiently.

I read that they're under new management, so I'm guessing Danny is out. As much as that guy was a used-car salesman, he hooked me up with my pads and team jerseys at amazing prices. With him out I'm basically at square 1 with LHS hookups
Danny is the biggest crook in the business. I ordered a Hackva mask from his store because they were the only ones carrying it locally at the time. I wanted to try it on before buying. I don't like using local shops as fitting rooms and buying it online so I paid him a deposit to have it ordered in from Ontario. He offered to include a padded mask bag instead of the cloth one it came with. A couple of weeks later I went to pick up the mask and he essentially called me a liar and claimed he didn't promise such a thing.

Larry's also used to supply the city of Burnaby ice rinks but he ripped them off and didn't stand behind any of the products he sold. Burnaby had to go directly through the local CCM rep to have their warranty issue resolved. Cyclones supplies them now.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:01 PM   #54
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Who's this Danny that I should stay far away from?
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:10 PM   #55

One of the owners of Larry's Sports in North Vancouver. Not sure how their store is run now if they are under new management like m3thods mentioned. If Danny is still involved stay away!!
Old 12-05-2017, 09:07 PM   #56
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Damn that sucks. Fair enough if that was your experience with him. I'd be pretty upset if I were in your shoes.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:41 AM   #57
Banned (ABWS)?

Not even a month old, 2 games in... So what are my options now ?? Is this gonna be expensive to fix/replace?
Do you think Sportchek can do anything since I only bought it 3 weeks ago?
I was planning to play again on Saturday, so kind of need to figure this out asap so I can let them know if I'm in or not for Saturday.

Last edited by AzNightmare; 12-08-2017 at 12:49 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:55 AM   #58

Yeah your cowling is fucked. 90 day warranty on skates though. I doubt Sportchek stocks extra cowlings so they might just need to exchange another pair.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:35 PM   #59
Banned (ABWS)?

Lol, that skate is on clearance and I bought it online. I think I bought the last one in my size as the website doesn't let me buy another one. Nevermind cowlings, I don't think Sportchek even carry goalie skates in store.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:34 PM   #60
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

That's an easy warranty/manufacturer defect fix. Sportchek will just refund you.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:19 AM   #61
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
You might not need to go back to Sport Chek if that's too inconvenient. You can try calling CCM customer service and see if you can get it handled at an actual hockey shop like Cyclone (THS when they're up and running).
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:25 PM   #62
Banned (ABWS)?

I sort of took care of it on the weekend...
As expected, Sportchek doesn't have any cowl/holder replacements and they said ordering from CCM would take an indefinite amount of time. I don't want to be out without skates to use for an unknown period of time, so their alternative was a refund since they don't have any comparable skates at that value.

I went to THS since I knew they were having goalie skate sales and ended up buying something nicer for a big discount. lol.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:42 PM   #63
Banned (ABWS)?

Mounties release photos of suspects in Surrey hockey shop fire

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mounties-relea...fire-1.3720560

http://www.news1130.com/2017/12/13/s...key-shop-fire/

This thread is kind of derailed now, but whatever. lol
Old 12-15-2017, 04:55 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
I sort of took care of it on the weekend...
As expected, Sportchek doesn't have any cowl/holder replacements and they said ordering from CCM would take an indefinite amount of time. I don't want to be out without skates to use for an unknown period of time, so their alternative was a refund since they don't have any comparable skates at that value.

I went to THS since I knew they were having goalie skate sales and ended up buying something nicer for a big discount. lol.
Takes 1-2 weeks to get in if CCM has stock. Easier and cheaper for Sportchek just to refund and not have to deal with ordering it in and making the swap. Not sure how much rivet work they actually do but if it's not aligned properly it will stab a hole through the bottom of the skate or cowling.