REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-10-2018, 11:29 PM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,527 Times in 1,517 Posts
Ford Announces New ST - Ford Edge

Jalopnik - 2019 Ford Edge ST: So This Is Happening

Quote:
So far all we know about the Edge ST is that, yes, it’s really going to be real, and apparently will feature a suspension upgrade, a “Sport Mode,” an eight-speed automatic transmission, all-wheel drive and a 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6 engine rated at 335 horsepower and 380 lb-ft of torque.

The Edge Sport was previously the closest thing to a fast version, and actually it probably does move well with its own 2.7-liter EcoBoost engine, rated to 315 HP and 350 lb-ft of torque on 93 octane gasoline in Sport guise.

So, an extra 20 HP and 30 lb-ft is a decent bump in output. And if the unique transmission really is good, the crossover could actually be pretty fun to flog.

Steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters will let you manually move the Edge ST through its gears, while ST-specific 21-inch wheels and some body accents, plus a little red ST badge in the big gaping grille, will let everyone else in your complex parking area know what a dangerous beast you are.
I guess given the head gasket issues of the Focus RS, suspected to be wrong head gasket part, has given cause to dilute the ST badge for profitability - "sporty" crossovers.
Advertisement
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2018, 01:13 AM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,751 Times in 3,867 Posts
I disagree with your ‘diluting’ comment. I mean, bmw puts “m sport” badging in every stupid ass “x4 3 series coupe but has four doors and a hatch but we won’t call it a wagon so it’s a grand coupe”.

..... but if you’re gonna do it, go big. Put the proper 3.5L twin turbo from the raptor in it or don’t bother really.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:32 AM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,897 Posts
would make a fun rental car
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2018, 12:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
I mean, bmw puts “m sport” badging in every stupid ass “x4 3 series coupe but has four doors and a hatch but we won’t call it a wagon so it’s a grand coupe”.
By this are we referring to M-Sport = ST and M = RS? Then in that case, Ford is far from diluting it's ST brand. It's agreeable that M-Sport everything is ridiculous.

It's interesting as the evolution of ford for the past decade was mostly focused on mustang + normal family cars + occasional focus RS, then they started really pushing performance package everything w/ legit goodies. But it's a cycle, and I suspect we'll start to see more family cars w/ ST ("sport")
Old 01-11-2018, 12:34 PM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
Another low-key SUV to be pulled over by
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:40 PM   #6
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,252 Times in 1,965 Posts
For moms running late for their hair appointment
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
By this are we referring to M-Sport = ST and M = RS? Then in that case, Ford is far from diluting it's ST brand. It's agreeable that M-Sport everything is ridiculous.

It's interesting as the evolution of ford for the past decade was mostly focused on mustang + normal family cars + occasional focus RS, then they started really pushing performance package everything w/ legit goodies. But it's a cycle, and I suspect we'll start to see more family cars w/ ST ("sport")
I dunno, everyone on the RS board is losing their shit about ‘diluting the brand’. Psh who cares! I’m all for it if they unify everything. Have a focus and fiesta ST. Make the fusion sport a fusion ST. Just make ST the sport option across all models, and then save RS or SVT or gt500 or gt350r or whatever for the really rare versions. People seem to care too much what it’s called
Old 01-11-2018, 02:23 PM   #8
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
For moms running late for their hair appointment
Whatever gets those slow-ass SUVs going, I am all for it.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:02 PM   #9
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

meh. who cares. If one thinks that the Edge ST will be driven with any more vim and vigour than any other crossover or SUV, you're fooling yourself. It's just another trim level to your average SUV buyer.

The ST brand remains solid, I don't think the RS HG issues have tarnished the ST badge. My friend that was going to look at the white GTI in the CL good buys thread (that was listed as clean title but is rebuilt) started looking at legit clean title GTI's, the asknig price right now for an '11 with avg km (175KM) is $18K...for a 7 year old VW.... For that money she can get a '14 Focus ST with 35-48km, that's the way she's leaning now. 252hp, turbo, highly tunable, Recaro seats, 6MT, fully loaded, good aftermarket support.

FiST's and FoST's are under-rated performance bargains, Edge ST, not so much.
snowfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2018, 06:53 PM   #10

I still have a bunch of 13/14 foST Parts if she’s interested. Intake, coilovers, front lip kit etc
Old 01-11-2018, 07:40 PM   #11

I think you misunderstood my meaning. I meant that the RS HG issues are causing financial loss for the company, and thus they have to compensate for the loss by making more every-day products with a "sporty" twist to entice buyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowfarmer View Post
My friend that was going to look at the white GTI in the CL good buys thread (that was listed as clean title but is rebuilt) started looking at legit clean title GTI's, the asknig price right now for an '11 with avg km (175KM) is $18K...for a 7 year old VW.
Also did you guys ever find out how bad that theft claim was?
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2018, 07:51 PM   #12

I doubt it. Ford is the 6th largest manufacturer (and the highest on the list that isn’t 10 companies in one). The head gasket issue has effected 2% of a limited run car and has been blown out of proportion. The company won’t feel a hit unless they do a widespread recall
Old 01-11-2018, 08:49 PM   #13
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
ford sells like 900,000 trucks a year. i dont think a handfull of head gaskets on a niche market tuner car has done anything to their reputation or bottom line. honestly, if i didn't read about it in the thread on RS, I wouldn't have known about it and Im 'into cars', and no one I know knows about it, nor really seems to care.

especially when almost every single superduty diesel built between 03 and 07 had its head gasket blow out, and that didn't even affect their sales or reputation (to anyone other than a cummins fan boy).
Old 01-11-2018, 09:05 PM   #14

fair enough on the HG issue. Interesting to hear that now they think it might be the wrong HG that was installed on the FoRS. If that was the case, I would hope they would recall them all and put in the right HG proactively.

Someone else was picking up the white GTI last night. The owner was not very forthcoming with any information and some stuff around the timeline of the write off and when he put it on the road didn't quite add up. Overall, it might have been a great deal but there were just too many things that didn't feel "right" about it, she didn't want to roll the dice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
I think you misunderstood my meaning. I meant that the RS HG issues are causing financial loss for the company, and thus they have to compensate for the loss by making more every-day products with a "sporty" twist to entice buyers.

Also did you guys ever find out how bad that theft claim was?
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2018, 09:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
I still have a bunch of 13/14 foST Parts if she’s interested. Intake, coilovers, front lip kit etc
I'll shoot you a PM if she does the deal on the FoST. There's 2 examples on CL right now with super low km.

How did you like yours?
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2018, 10:13 PM   #16

Fucking loved it, and almost regret trading it in for the RS. In another 15 years I plan on importing a focus ST wagon from Germany.