REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:56 PM   #26
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Your rights and privacy and freedom is a basic right which many past generations have fought wars for.
And you wanna throw that all away cause of a rare freak accident in a safe country like Canada.
Cameras at every intersection will just lead us a path of no return.
Big brother is already watching you. We dont need to give them any more tools.
Sorry for rant. I dont know where im going with this haha
Advertisement
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-19-2018, 01:08 PM   #27
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
I've never understood why everyone is so uptight about security cameras being put up. I don't go around committing illegal activities, so I could care less if they have me on camera. The added security and benefit of these far outweighs any 'privacy concerns' imo
But how far do you go? Are you OK with the government putting tracking software on your computer to make sure people don't join ISIS?
Old 01-19-2018, 01:39 PM   #28
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
What's that oft-misquoted Ben Franklin idiom again?

Oh yeah. Those that would trade freedom for a tiny bit of security deserve neither.

It's not about you not committing any crimes. It's about the watchers being fallible humans. Do you trust anyone and everyone who potentially has access to your private moments and data? I sure as hell don't.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)

Last edited by CivicBlues; 01-19-2018 at 02:13 PM.
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2018, 07:34 PM   #29
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post
Your rights and privacy and freedom is a basic right which many past generations have fought wars for.
And you wanna throw that all away cause of a rare freak accident in a safe country like Canada.
Cameras at every intersection will just lead us a path of no return.
Big brother is already watching you. We dont need to give them any more tools.
Sorry for rant. I dont know where im going with this haha
which wars are you referring to?

gun violence is not a freak accident

filming in public space is already legal, if the govt tomorrow decides to put up a camera at every intersection, there's only so much you can do about it

exactly, unless you live without the Internet, it's a bit moot and paradoxical. You can rip out every camera and microphone but your searches are still tracked

if you have other ideas to curb gang violence and crimes in general, i'm all ears

Last edited by twitchyzero; 01-19-2018 at 07:40 PM.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:30 PM   #30
I don't get it

I'm pretty certain cameras won't deter violent crimes...People still commit homicides or shootings in plainview of security cameras. They just disguise themselves...

Remember this one?

eclipseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:37 PM   #31
HELP ME PLS!!!

It might not deter all crime, but it'll help a shit ton with investigation, proof, and an unbiased version of the facts. Assuming the whole crime is caught on tape, not just parts or clips of it.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:38 PM   #32
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
I've never understood why everyone is so uptight about security cameras being put up. I don't go around committing illegal activities, so I could care less if they have me on camera. The added security and benefit of these far outweighs any 'privacy concerns' imo
mostly hipsters and people who have nothing better to do will complain about privacy. Sorry, the government can care less where you go to starbucks and browse on your macs.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:54 PM   #33
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Use of government data that seemed benign at the time, was used by the new government to ethnically cleanse.

"Black outlined the way in which IBM's technology helped facilitate Nazi genocide through generation and tabulation of punch cards based upon national census data."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_and_the_Holocaust

The data the government has on you could one day be used against you.

A real measure of how this would work out though, would be looking at stats on how London has implemented their camera system; crime levels before and after, and potential for misuse.