REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-24-2018, 07:49 PM   #26
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
love the Supra interior but I wouldn't want it in 2018
S2000 is nice and minimalistic but again, wouldn't want the radio so damn low
Advertisement
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2018, 10:34 PM   #27
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,221 Times in 1,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
love the Supra interior but I wouldn't want it in 2018
S2000 is nice and minimalistic but again, wouldn't want the radio so damn low
Doesn't get any lower than the first-gen Sienna
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:39 PM   #28
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,108 Times in 5,002 Posts
I got no problem with those dashes and ones from the 90’s and early 2000’s... there’s nothing I hate more than getting into a new car and having to use a touch screen to change the temperature or fan speed/direction... can do it in like 2 seconds with knobs and dials and from feel without actually looking.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2018, 10:46 PM   #29
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,572 Times in 4,314 Posts

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:51 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I got no problem with those dashes and ones from the 90’s and early 2000’s... there’s nothing I hate more than getting into a new car and having to use a touch screen to change the temperature or fan speed/direction... can do it in like 2 seconds with knobs and dials and from feel without actually looking.
Can't tell you how much I HATE those stupid new tablets floating in the centre consoles. Worst design fad ever, absolutely hate them with a passion. Unfortunately every single non-automotive enthusiast seems to want car interiors to look lke the interior of the Model 3, thus manufacturers fulfill the desires of the mass market sheeps.

I also for one hate Teslas. I refuse to buy or drive anything purely electric, ever.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2018, 03:18 AM   #31
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts
I expect this from your average guy who isn't into cars and can't tell the difference between a S2000 and a Miata, but if you are an enthusiast, your perspective in seeing and identifying cars change. You're able to pick out "minor" details like different light shapes, different fender designs, curves and edges on the car, etc.

I mean ultimately, how many different designs are there going to be? You want to see 6 wheels on your family sedan so that cars can look different?

So you have the new Civic Type R which stands out, but then everyone complains how ugly it looks or how outrageously over designed it is. But then you have something more standard and then people complain how all cars look the same.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:43 AM   #32
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,232 Times in 2,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akinari View Post
Can't tell you how much I HATE those stupid new tablets floating in the centre consoles. Worst design fad ever, absolutely hate them with a passion.
This is not really drive by any sort of design fad. Rather, it is born out of the US legislation requiring all new cars to have backup cameras. Having a backup camera means you need a screen to show the video output. With how common LCD screens have become, manufacturers obviously want to put a biga$$ screen in there to one-up each other. Big screens take up space, and then you might as well just use the damn screen for all your other controls.

I 100% agree using touch screen controls is dumb AF. I absolutely hate it too.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2018, 10:58 AM   #33
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
I'm just glad that cars today are starting to reduce the number of buttons on the dash.

I mean, just look at this. It's got more fucking buttons than my remote for my TV. But then Mercedes decided to fuck it all up even more by having a gear selector like a wiper stalk.

who the fuck thought this was a good idea:

ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2018, 11:20 AM   #34
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZN6 View Post
I'm just glad that cars today are starting to reduce the number of buttons on the dash.

I mean, just look at this. It's got more fucking buttons than my remote for my TV. But then Mercedes decided to fuck it all up even more by having a gear selector like a wiper stalk.

You should check out the Porsche Cayenne it has a ridiculous amount of buttons.

Old 01-25-2018, 02:34 PM   #35
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
This is not really drive by any sort of design fad. Rather, it is born out of the US legislation requiring all new cars to have backup cameras. Having a backup camera means you need a screen to show the video output. With how common LCD screens have become, manufacturers obviously want to put a biga$$ screen in there to one-up each other. Big screens take up space, and then you might as well just use the damn screen for all your other controls.

I 100% agree using touch screen controls is dumb AF. I absolutely hate it too.
I think his comment was more directed towards how the radio in something like a Mazda 3, and some other models literally look like a tablet or alarm clock (base model) sitting on top of the dash, rather than inset into the dash like a conventional radio. Anyhow, i don't like it either lol
Old 01-25-2018, 02:46 PM   #36
ZN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
You should check out the Porsche Cayenne it has a ridiculous amount of buttons.

Actually, i find that ok, since one side is for the passenger and the other side is for the driver.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:46 PM   #37
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
All cars from the 70s look the same too
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:50 PM   #38
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coneZONE View Post
I think his comment was more directed towards how the radio in something like a Mazda 3, and some other models literally look like a tablet or alarm clock (base model) sitting on top of the dash, rather than inset into the dash like a conventional radio. Anyhow, i don't like it either lol
probably difficult to fit a 10-15" display in landscape into the dash...so the floating tablet design is the only other way
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:56 PM   #39
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie. View Post
this one really blew my mind a few years ago.

that window line

This hit me in the feels hard
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2018, 09:32 PM   #40
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,382 Times in 416 Posts
I hate touch screens systems in new cars. They control EVERYTHING.

Going through menus and sub menus to get to things like heated seats and temperature.

I like buttons. They're direct. They do 1 function and 1 function only. I love the Cayenne interior. yes, there's a million buttons but that means every function and change you want to make happens with 1 click.

I hate the floating iPad lookalike nav screen everyone is using now, especially Mercedes. It looks detachable.
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2018, 09:44 PM   #41

Quote:
Spoiler!
I beg to differ in this particular instance actually.

Having driven MB's new stuff with this shifter, it's pretty intuitive to use, and frees up space in the centre console which would usually be reserved for a gated shifter.

I mean, would you rather they use this?

Old 01-26-2018, 01:19 AM   #42
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
Ford Explorer

Range Rover
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2018, 02:53 PM   #43
ZN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akinari View Post
I beg to differ in this particular instance actually.

Having driven MB's new stuff with this shifter, it's pretty intuitive to use, and frees up space in the centre console which would usually be reserved for a gated shifter.

I mean, would you rather they use this?

Yeah actually, I would. No joke. At least that, you have a tactile mechanical feel.

Something about the loss of tactile feel in steering, gear input, and even a freakin' electronically controlled parking brake makes me feel kind of uneasy.

I vaguely remember a guy named Herman Lam (some names you just never forget) who had his Merc GL or something with electronic control unit on the transmission and it failed on him mid turn into Aberdeen.

Dunno if it's changed since then, but with people already being annoyed with the tablets controlling everything (HVAC, radio, navigation, bluetooth) I'd feel even more uncomfortable when the transmission and running gear is also electronically controlled.

With the exception of the ECU controlling the engine, i honestly do not trust electronic systems running a car. Even drive by wire is missing that engagement where sometimes there's an input lag with the throttle.

I'm old school i guess.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:36 AM   #44

Quote:
I'm old school i guess.
I digress, electrically-assisted power steering is the worst invention ever.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:14 AM   #45
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,506 Times in 3,051 Posts
Old cars are best cars. Except when they break down and leave you stranded on the side of a highway wishing you didn't cheap out and buy a 92 camry with a busted radiator and leaking valve cover gasket... Ask me how I know this..
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:43 AM   #46
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
+1 for the annoying touchscreen fad.

Rented a 2017 Cherokee Trailhawk a couple of months ago, and I absolutely HATED how you had to use the touchscreen for the majority of the climate control functions. I don't need to scroll through 2 different menus to turn on the heated seats, or move away from the navigation and/or radio display to do so.

Unfortunately most new cars seem to be moving this way. No buttons for the majority of functions I use day-to-day, like the front defogger, rear-window defroster, heated seats, forward/back playback buttons, A/C, etc.

I also don't like the shifter "buttons" instead of a knob (where will I rest my hand?!) or the electronic shifters with zero feedback so you need to look down to know what gear you're in, because the position of the shifter doesn't change with the gear.... maybe I am just getting old lol.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:54 AM   #47
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Loc View Post
+1 for the annoying touchscreen fad.

Rented a 2017 Cherokee Trailhawk a couple of months ago, and I absolutely HATED how you had to use the touchscreen for the majority of the climate control functions. I don't need to scroll through 2 different menus to turn on the heated seats, or move away from the navigation and/or radio display to do so.

Unfortunately most new cars seem to be moving this way. No buttons for the majority of functions I use day-to-day, like the front defogger, rear-window defroster, heated seats, forward/back playback buttons, A/C, etc.

I also don't like the shifter "buttons" instead of a knob (where will I rest my hand?!) or the electronic shifters with zero feedback so you need to look down to know what gear you're in, because the position of the shifter doesn't change with the gear.... maybe I am just getting old lol.
It depends on how it's done.

Quite a lot of cars still have climate controls as buttons even though there is a touch screen, like the new Accord and Miata. My RX-8 has a touchscreen navigation, but the climate controls are simple and separate from the touch screen. Even the basic audio controls(volume, channels) are knobs.

For AT gear selectors, my "favorite" is the newer BMW automatic stick. It springs back to the center position after you push/pull it. Super annoying to use, and to make things worse, it mocks you every time you fuck up by telling you how to use it.

See, this is one of the reasons I stick with stick shift. No weird button/BMW stick bullshit, just a shared conventional pattern(I realized there is the dog leg pattern, but it is not common anyway). The reverse position might be different on cars, but it's easy enough to figure out.

Last edited by UnknownJinX; 01-27-2018 at 12:03 PM.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:22 PM   #48
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie. View Post
this one really blew my mind a few years ago.

that window line

No wonder I really liked the look of my old Accord Coupe(same one as pictured, but with a V6 and gray).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
I expect this from your average guy who isn't into cars and can't tell the difference between a S2000 and a Miata, but if you are an enthusiast, your perspective in seeing and identifying cars change. You're able to pick out "minor" details like different light shapes, different fender designs, curves and edges on the car, etc.

I mean ultimately, how many different designs are there going to be? You want to see 6 wheels on your family sedan so that cars can look different?

So you have the new Civic Type R which stands out, but then everyone complains how ugly it looks or how outrageously over designed it is. But then you have something more standard and then people complain how all cars look the same.
CTR really didn't do it right. It's too busy, and Honda's ricer reputation only makes it worse.

I wish there is another car like the RX-8 with the Quad-coupe body style. Like Jeremy Clarkson said about the RX-8, "You get all the benefits of a Coupe, with none of the drawbacks, and all the practicality of a Saloon, with none of the tedium." That two small rear doors make a world of difference. Much easier to put large objects in the back seats compared to my Accord Coupe.

Quote:

Some controls should still be quick and easy to reach, like climate controls and audio volume. Even Tesla Model S have the climate control within reach, not having to have you navigate through a huge menu.

About the MB gear stick... I agree that it's the easier of the bunch to use, but it reminds me of a truck with that column mounted shifter.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:38 PM   #49
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
What the fuck is that hideous piece of shit?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2018, 10:14 PM   #50
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
What the fuck is that hideous piece of shit?
It's called "Taking eyes off road to adjust everything and crashing my car"

J-Chow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: