REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-29-2018, 04:10 PM   #51
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
There’s no fucking way ICBC made more than $778M in investment returns between 2010 and 2012 ...

And what do you mean by allegedly? It’s documented and public record.
Advertisement
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:36 PM   #52
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,187 Times in 2,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
i may be wrong but i think the number that keeps getting thrown around as to what the liberals pulled out was the amount over several years, not just in the last year. $1.3billion in deficits in one year, a lot of that is on ICBC.
This is true -- from every reading that I've done, the $1B number is a cumulative number that the Libs have taken out from ICBC. What is not clear to me is, how many years or which years was it that added up to $1B?

Another important fact not to be overlooked is how the Libs have conveniently sweeped this $1B number under the carpet and out of the radar for an X number of years. It is open (and reported) knowledge that the Libs have been siphoning money from ICBC into general revenues. However, nobody knows until now that $1B of that debt has been swept aside. As the government party, where is their responsibility to both ICBC and the BC residents?

Quote:
Cost of claims has doubled from 3billion to 5.9billion from 2013 to 2017. At the same time, Revenue has rose from 3.9billion to 6.1billion. I think that is a much bigger factor than the couple hundred million the government transferred out per year.
From the numbers you've dug up, I am seeing a 97% increase in costs of repairs, and a 56% increase in revenues. The 40% difference in those numbers is not a good sign to be sure -- nobody ever said ICBC was perfect. But it is nowhere nearly as bad as being in a $1B hole.

So for me, the majority of the blame remains with the Libs. They need to be held accountable for what they have done. (ICBC also needs to be held accountable for their shoddy operations, but they are the smaller bad guy for the moment.)
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:28 PM   #53
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
im pretty sure when this thread was brought up in the fall i spent some time and found ICBCs financial records for each year going back to about 2010 i think (but i cant 100% remember) including showing how much dividends were transfered to the government or it may have been in the provincial government budget.

regardless, the financials were pretty easy to find and they provided alot more information than what the media does.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:59 PM   #54
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,151 Times in 952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
im pretty sure when this thread was brought up in the fall i spent some time and found ICBCs financial records for each year going back to about 2010 i think (but i cant 100% remember) including showing how much dividends were transfered to the government or it may have been in the provincial government budget.

regardless, the financials were pretty easy to find and they provided alot more information than what the media does.
ICBC is 'on the path to insolvency' and there's no clear fix - British Columbia - CBC News

This article says $1.2B since 2012 and it was published about 5 months ago.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2018, 07:19 PM   #55
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Same picture floating online with 3 people circled saying they are dead.

I think the kid on the far left is this guy.

Teen found in trunk of car is Vancouver?s third murder victim of 2018 | Vancouver Sun
Lol dhooooooot
DoughBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:24 PM   #56
in the butt

Thanked 3,151 Times in 1,167 Posts
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:49 PM   #57

So 1.2 billion since 2012 made them 1.3 billion in the hole this year. Okay.jpg
Old 02-19-2018, 11:18 AM   #58
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,905 Times in 752 Posts
get ready for anal rape so extreme u will be bleeding for months.

Tomorrow's budget will likely include more bad news for BC drivers

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – What might tomorrow’s budget might mean for drivers across BC?

Thanks to ICBC recording losses of more than billion dollars this fiscal year, premiums are expected to climb again. But there’s no word on how much they will rise.

Attorney General David Eby, who’s now responsible for that Crown corporation, says Finance Minister Carole James really has no choice.

“What people are going to see in the budget on Tuesday is the impact of what happened when government didn’t address these out of control issues that now, because ICBC is losing so much money, it’s having a knock-on effect on vital provincial programs — the money that we hoped to put into different initiatives has been compromised.”

Eby has described the situation as a “financial dumpster fire.” He is again blaming the former Liberal government for failing to make improvements more than three years ago.

“The only options that we have in relation to the crisis we face at ICBC is either get the costs down or increase rates and that’s a direct consequence of government not taking action in 2014 to get ICBC under control — instead to clip pages out of a report and refuse to disclose it to the public. The report that said they needed to take that action.”

Eby is referring to an Ernst and Young document which recommended capping payouts for minor injuries. Starting next year, compensation for those claims will be limited to $5,500.

Any increase the finance minister puts forward must be approved by the BC Utilities Commission.

In November, basic auto insurance rates went up more than six per cent, averaging out to about $60 per driver.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:50 AM   #59
My homepage has been set to RS

...... Fuck.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:00 PM   #60
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,774 Times in 974 Posts
Nothing pisses me off more than talking to my friends/family who work at ICBC, WorkSafe or CBSA (and probably every other crown/pseudo-crown corp if i had more friends). They just hemorrhage money like crazy
Old 02-20-2018, 05:36 PM   #61
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Dodged a bullet, looks like ICBC premiums not going up in the budget, capping pain and suffering payouts for soft tissue (read: unverifiable) injuries. It's still a pretty lefty budget but at least we're not going to get pillaged any harder for insurance on cars and bikes.
snowfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:41 PM   #62
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,737 Times in 3,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
Nothing pisses me off more than talking to my friends/family who work at ICBC, WorkSafe or CBSA (and probably every other crown/pseudo-crown corp if i had more friends). They just hemorrhage money like crazy
Bc hydro is inspecting some piping down the street from me last week and this week. I walk by on my way to work everyday. Big hydro van idling in the street (with a generator running), two pickup trucks idling with no one in it. A traffic controller company with a pickup truck idling (with no one in it) 6 bc hydro staff standing around the van / trucks, one looking at papers, 4 on their cell phones and two talking to each other shooting the shit. The two traffic controller employees each on their phone.

It’s safe to assume each person is earning at least $35/hr. Every day I walk by and see the amount of wasted money and it makes me sick. That is one corner of one street in one city from a whole province.....
Old 02-20-2018, 06:58 PM   #63
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowfarmer View Post
Dodged a bullet, looks like ICBC premiums not going up in the budget, capping pain and suffering payouts for soft tissue (read: unverifiable) injuries. It's still a pretty lefty budget but at least we're not going to get pillaged any harder for insurance on cars and bikes.
ICBC rates are going up but no mention on increase for premiums for bad drivers.

Rates go up 6.4% and they'll still cap injuries. Funny thing is that ppl actually believe cap on injuries will freeze icbc rates. Rates will only keep increasing, just means more money for the gov to work with.

Spoiler!
van_city23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:27 PM   #64
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Yes but that rate increase was already determined and was not part of the provincial budget announced today. I was worried we’d see more increases as part of the budget to offset the $1.3B ICBC deficit.
snowfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:00 PM   #65
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,187 Times in 2,466 Posts
Well, that $1.3B ICBC deficit isn't going anywhere any time soon, so it isn't like we dodged a bullet for now -- it's just that the guy with the gun hasn't shot yet. We are still in the point blank range.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:19 AM   #66
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
ICBC Rate Fairness | Government of British Columbia

Lots of info to process here as the engagement process begins.

For me I would be happy if I could get a 10% discount for driving under 5000kms per year. I would be happy to provide odometer proof.

"We want to make auto insurance rates more fair, and we want your feedback.

The B.C. government and ICBC want to introduce changes to the current system to make insurance rates more fair for British Columbians by making all drivers more accountable for their decisions and driving behaviour.

The model ICBC uses to help determine insurance rates is more than 30 years old. While it has seen some improvements over the years, it is out of date. This means that right now some drivers are paying more and others are paying less than the risk they represent.

British Columbians have been saying for years that the system would be more fair if lower risk drivers paid less for their insurance, and higher risk drivers paid more. We agree. Currently, most high-risk drivers are not paying enough to cover the future risks they represent on our roads.

As a result, we’re looking at changing the way insurance rates are determined for all vehicle owners, excluding those who have fleet vehicles.

Get involved

We want to know what you think of some of the changes being considered.

There are several ways to participate:
•Complete the online questionnaire on this site.
•Submit your feedback by email or mail.
•Organizations and experts can make submissions that will be posted to this site.

Your feedback will help design an improved auto insurance rating system for British Columbians, and help inform ICBC’s application on Basic insurance rate design to its regulator, the British Columbia Utilities Commission.

Feedback will be collected between March 5 and April 5, 2018 at 4pm."

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818

Last edited by TouringTeg; 03-05-2018 at 01:50 PM.
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2018, 01:07 PM   #67
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,451 Times in 3,032 Posts
^^^ Thanks Teg

https://interceptum.com/s/en/icbcratefairness <--- Link to Survey

Buddies of mine just sent me this survey. pretty interesting stuff. it looks like ICBC wanna charge "bad drivers" more and at fault claims will increase rates.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:35 PM   #68
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I just filled out the survey, took 15 minutes.

Everyone should fill this out. I don't want to hear any more whining about ICBC.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2018, 02:38 PM   #69
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Yep, I have done the survey.

Shared it on Facebook as well. Normally I am not one for sharing stuff on FB, but this is an exception.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:54 PM   #70
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Do you still accumulate discount starting the day you get your DL? even without any cars registered under you name?
I remember getting like 30% discount on my insurance for my first car .
That was almost 20yrs ago so not sure if they changed it.
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:04 PM   #71
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,140 Times in 335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
^^^ Thanks Teg

https://interceptum.com/s/en/icbcratefairness <--- Link to Survey

Buddies of mine just sent me this survey. pretty interesting stuff. it looks like ICBC wanna charge "bad drivers" more and at fault claims will increase rates.
Another outcome I got from that survey was they were moving towards driver based insurance as well. I.e. all drivers must be listed or explicitly excluded (Ontario often requires this for high risk drivers) with penalties for not listing drivers.
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:32 PM   #72
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,682 Times in 1,623 Posts
^I know so many people whose children have insurance under their names because it saves on insurance. I then remind them if the kid gets into an accident ICBC will not honour insurance...some listen and change policy, most don't.

I took the survey as well, and I liked how they split up into low-risk and high-risk.

If you have the occasional speeding or lane change w/out signaling ticket, fine whatever.
But if you have 4 excessive speedings in 2 years then you damn well can offset my insurance, or don't fucking drive. The current point based premium system isn't big enough of a deterrent. I'm glad they're at least trying to address it.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2018, 03:51 PM   #73

From that survey it looks like ICBC already has their plans figured out and they're hoping to get enough positive results from the survey to go ahead with them.

I really really like the idea of accidents following drivers, not vehicles. I think Manitoba does that.

It looks like ICBC is going to move towards a private insurance model where your insurance is going to go way up if you have tickets, etc.

It looks like they're considering removing the ability to pay off an accident and not have a claim against you. I dont like this, as their threshold in the survey is $2000. It takes literally nothing to do $2000 damage in a light fender bender now. Mirrors and Headlights are over $1000 now, when they were hardly $100 15 years ago.

There are a lot of questions pertaining to having someone borrow your car and get in an accident. It looks like they're considering fining vehicle owners for lending their car and not declaring the operator. That would be a massive pain in the ass to constantly be updating a list of people who might drive your car. The answers to the question on what the penalty would be don't let you select $0, so you can bet their 'findings' will say "people support a penalty".

I like the idea of increasing premiums for high risk drivers. However, it is a fine line labeling high risk drivers and Im afraid ICBC is going to say anyone without a perfect record is high risk when in reality high risk might actually catch 10% of drivers on the road. It already looks like this as their survey says 1/3rd of drivers are going to see an increase due to their risk factors. If this ends up where someone in a scenario of one 50/50 fender bender accident and one speeding ticket in the last 10 years sees a rate increase, it looks like an unfair cash grab.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:03 PM   #74
Need to Seek Professional Help

At least they are asking for our feedback instead of going with their own agenda thinking what they do is correct then shoving it down our throats.
teggy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:25 PM   #75
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,737 Times in 3,863 Posts
I had one at fault accident 9 years ago. I better not get fucked over