REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-04-2018, 06:17 PM   #1
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,179 Times in 354 Posts
21 y/o UBC resident in Car2Go killed in Vancouver's 2nd fatal crash of 2018

21-year-old UBC resident killed in Vancouver's 2nd fatal crash of 2018 - British Columbia - CBC News

Quote:
A 21-year-old man is dead after a rollover crash near the University of British Columbia on Sunday morning.

The crash happened on West 16th Avenue near Discovery Street around 1 a.m., near the entrance to Pacific Spirit Park.

First responders found the man trapped in a car-share vehicle that had flipped onto its roof.

Fire crews were able to free him, but he was pronounced dead at the scene.

The Vancouver Police Department had West 16th Avenue shut down for several hours overnight as investigators examined the crash. Police say speed may have been a factor.

VPD said this is Vancouver's second fatal crash of 2018.

Car2Go confirmed one of its Mercedes Benz vehicles was involved in the crash. The car-sharing service last year added four-door luxury sedans to its Vancouver fleet.

Spokesman Michael Silverman said the company is cooperating with police as it determines the cause of the crash.

"We are aware of and very saddened by the unfortunate incident that occurred overnight," he said in an email.
Advertisement
AstulzerRZD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:35 PM   #2
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Sad to lose a life. Hope they weren't Impaired or texting

RIP
DavidNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:59 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,400 Times in 551 Posts
That must've been a ridiculous amount of speed. RIP
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2018, 07:27 PM   #4
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
Those CLA’s are such peices of garbage.

If someone hopped in and started driving it like it’s some kind of sports car instead of a corolla would be pretty easy to lose control/crash
Old 03-04-2018, 09:05 PM   #5
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
Saturday night
freezing temps
car unrecognizable after a crash
motor found 20ft or 30m away from the car, according to the article on The Province
dui and speed me thinks...glad they do routine roadside checks on W. 16th
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:09 PM   #6
Banned By Establishment

Those things have winter tires?
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:11 PM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
below temperatures with frost on the ground on all season tires or what?..
Old 03-04-2018, 09:31 PM   #8
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
As we are mostly car guys here on this forum - we know the non-AMG CLA is not meant to be a drag racer.

Should car-shares *really* have anything in their fleet that even closely resembles a "performance" car or "fast" car?

Perhaps this guy doesn't fit into what I'm about to list out, but hear me out.

1) Probably have limited driving experience, thus are not able to judge how they should drive according to conditions.
2) Probably don't drive regularly. (aka "Sunday Drivers")
3) Probably not aware of how to handle this 200 HP FWD beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belka View Post
I highly doubt it, the AS tires on this one might even have been toast. There are two types of people in this world when they drive cars that don't belong to them. I don't think I need to go into detail on this one.

I'm really not sure why Car2Go decided on adding CLA's to their fleet, maybe because Car2Go is owned by Daimler AG, but I really REALLY hope they reassess what kind of cars they want to let their users drive. As unfortunate as this accident was, and by all means RIP to a young person, it could have involved someone else.
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:40 PM   #9
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,902 Times in 749 Posts
I was at UBC a few weeks back sitting in my work van waiting in one of the parking lots behind the hospital where there are a number of car share vehicles when I looked up and saw a white CLA car 2 go ripping it through the lot, easily 60km+, well above what anyone with half a brain would consider as a safe speed for the environment. The fob dude driving the car nearly clipped a couple walking through the lot. Obviously the dude that almost got ran over was pissed off so he confronted the driver and I could hear from a distance the conversation and I wouldn't have been surprised if the driver got shit kicked by the angry dude. Maybe this is the same driver, who knows, but I would've guesstimated him to be about 21yo.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:41 PM   #10
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

So literally a day or two before this crash, I saw a gla250 going literally at least 200km/h on ubc highway towards UBC. I thought it had an n sticker but can't remember. I wonder if its the same guy (white guy). I've driven at night the last few days, I don't recall losing traction anywhere with summer tires on a rwd car...

I think all the cla250s in car2go are 4matic too? Probably just a dumb driver going way too fast.
clevernickname is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2018, 10:54 PM   #11
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
maybe the picture makes it look worse than it is.. but i'm struggling to see how excessive speeding would not have been the main factor.
Even if you have 'limited driving experience', you may get into an accident, but you wouldn't be able to roll your car like that unless you were driving like an idiot
Old 03-04-2018, 11:18 PM   #12

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
For a novice driver who has never experienced driving anything but an econobox with no more than 150hp, driving a CLA250 at high speeds could potentially be catastrophic. It's not a slow vehicle by any means.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:17 AM   #13
I don't get it

xjc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2018, 05:28 AM   #14
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmx323 View Post
3) Probably not aware of how to handle this 200 HP FWD beast.
I believe the CLA in the car2go fleet is 4matic.

And it's not something that the not so average joe should be ripping it around especially in the lower mainland.

258lb of torque, peaking just below 2000rpm. It only takes about 6 seconds to get up to 100kmh. It's just asking to be wrapped around the tree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2018, 06:06 AM   #15

Car2go having a shitty wanna-be luxury car in their fleet isn’t the issue here imo.

Someone willing to drive a car like this probably would do the same in the FourTwo.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:10 AM   #16
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,179 Times in 354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by belka View Post
They're on A/S - ContiProContact if I remember correctly.
AstulzerRZD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:24 AM   #17
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,653 Times in 3,106 Posts
this kid sounds like an auto enthusiast. Its unfortunate he died. Kids these days dont like cars anymore, hence the popularity of these ride share companies. It's not like cars gotten more expensive if anything they are cheaper and safer than 20 years ago.

When i was his age i was still driving around a shitty ass nissan sentra that only had 120hp and negligible torque. I tried some crazy ass shit too with that family sedan but thankfully nothing happened.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:02 AM   #18
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Car2go having a shitty wanna-be luxury car in their fleet isn’t the issue here imo.

Someone willing to drive a car like this probably would do the same in the FourTwo.
They probably wouldn't be able to get up enough speed before crashing to launch the engine 20ft though.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:07 AM   #19

Same could be said about the Evo cars Prius.

These vehicle sharing services might as well use padded scooters if people can’t handle a 200hp econo box.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:29 AM   #20
I don't get it

Modo has automatic FRS.
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:51 AM   #21
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
this kid sounds like an auto enthusiast. Its unfortunate he died. Kids these days dont like cars anymore, hence the popularity of these ride share companies. It's not like cars gotten more expensive if anything they are cheaper and safer than 20 years ago.

When i was his age i was still driving around a shitty ass nissan sentra that only had 120hp and negligible torque. I tried some crazy ass shit too with that family sedan but thankfully nothing happened.
I second this sentiment.

When I was talking with my nephew (oldest actually... in his early 20s) and his friends about cars this past weekend when they came over for a visit/trip, it seems that for them, car is just something to get from point A to B and nothing to be excited about.

Yes, it's just a 3 person opinion, but the sentiment is shocking to me. Back when I was in their age, we could talk cars for hours and spend crazy amount of time on our rides.

For them now it's Uber or rental... none of the 3 have any plan to buy a car in the foreseeable future.

IMO Uber/car sharing has killed the car enthusiasm as we know it. Volvo is taking the lead on car subscription (more like a fully packaged lease really). I think the next wave for cars is the stand-less bike sharing as soon as someone figures out how to deal with the issue of parking... there would be cars here and there that one can just rent with their smartphones.

And for this, I curse Ferrari to have their days counted!! Yes, for not letting me buy a Pista.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:10 AM   #22

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Anyone that drives these car sharing vehicles cannot drive. So many idiots either driving way too fast or disobey the traffic regulations.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:20 AM   #23
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
I've yet to see one car2go driver that didn't drive without undue care weaving through traffic and running late yellows/reds.

Those smart cars tip over like cows.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:09 AM   #24

As kinda mentioned here.. most people who use these services seemingly do not own a car, may have never owned a car, so the respect of ownership is somthing they dont know. I frequently use these services and find vehicles full of garbage, left over belonginings etc.

In terms of driving with undue care, the FourTwo's at least actually have a warning to "adjust your driving style" if you are aceelerating too quickly or braking too hard lol
Old 03-05-2018, 10:53 AM   #25
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

First of all, RIP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstulzerRZD View Post
They're on A/S - ContiProContact if I remember correctly.
Last time I checked Modo website, they said they use winter tires in winter. Not sure about Car2Go, but it's bullshit they just put cheapie all-season tires on cars. Combine that and an inexperienced/infrequent driver and you have a recipe for disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post

I second this sentiment.

When I was talking with my nephew (oldest actually... in his early 20s) and his friends about cars this past weekend when they came over for a visit/trip, it seems that for them, car is just something to get from point A to B and nothing to be excited about.

Yes, it's just a 3 person opinion, but the sentiment is shocking to me. Back when I was in their age, we could talk cars for hours and spend crazy amount of time on our rides.

For them now it's Uber or rental... none of the 3 have any plan to buy a car in the foreseeable future.

IMO Uber/car sharing has killed the car enthusiasm as we know it. Volvo is taking the lead on car subscription (more like a fully packaged lease really). I think the next wave for cars is the stand-less bike sharing as soon as someone figures out how to deal with the issue of parking... there would be cars here and there that one can just rent with their smartphones.

And for this, I curse Ferrari to have their days counted!! Yes, for not letting me buy a Pista.
It depends on who you hang out with. I have friends who are into cars. Just this weekend, we saw a classic retrofitted Corvette on the road and we got super excited about it. We later worked on my roommate's old Volvo 940. Tried to replace all the burnt out bulbs and fix the trans.

That said, in no way I promote dangerous driving that would result in whatever happened in the article. If the condition allows, you bet I will rev to 9k, but if I am experiencing heavy rain, I am not gonna be stupid. Excessive speeding is also no-no. Tickets are not the best way to spend money.

BTW, bike-renting is already a thing in China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalis View Post
Modo has automatic FRS.
FR-S is not that fast though. Not that torquey, either.

Most car rental services in North America have AT cars only. Too much risk with MT cars.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote