REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-18-2018, 01:34 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,051 Times in 676 Posts
Your experience with owning a BMW

Definitely beating a dead horse of a topic but anyhow...

For those who drive or own one of the newer models from BMW, what have your experience been like so far?

Specifically, I am looking to get into a CPO 2015 435i with ~20,000KM.

I'm hoping to get some genuine advice on what to expect, such as the most prevalent problems regarding these vehicles, the joys of owning a BMW, and just how they are in general. I'm going to assume the majority of you are going to advise not to go for it, and that is completely fair - I would just like to know the reasons why.

This will be my first BMW, and after some research, the reviews are mixed and all over the place. I understand Euros do not have the best reputation in terms of reliability, but I have considered that into my finances.

Thanks!!!
Advertisement
Fcukedd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2018, 01:51 PM   #2
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Had a 2012 and now have a 2016.
I would recommend to get the extended warranty if you are planning to own for a while.
Driving experience been superb, interior techs lagging as always even on my 2016, if you like all the fancy gadgets go for an Audi or Merc, couple of my buddy have A4s, they been doing great with fancy virtual cockpit etc.
Oh, and you have to pay for courtesy car at BMW, coz they are giving you "premium" cars like 328i to take home, exact words from my service advisor. F off lol
Jonydakiller is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2018, 02:05 PM   #3
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
If you have CPO then you're good. Try to get the extended warranty so you have warranty for 6 years which should take you up to 2021.

I had the E92 335i and it was the perfect combination of sport and luxury. It was smooth, powerful and drove well without beating you up. Stuff broke but it was always fixed under warranty and the downtime was minimal. This was when the kms were getting close to 100,000 kms but the car you're looking at still has low kms.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2018, 02:12 PM   #4
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,653 Times in 3,106 Posts
2008 128i (wife's car) and before that 1998 318is (also her car). I've had my share of fun with these cars

318is issues:
- valve cover gaskets x2 roughly 40,000km each
- o2 sensors
- cats replaced twice
- control arm
- water pump
- timing belt tensioner

128i
- vanos replaced under warranty
- valve cover gasket (only 60,000kms)
- timing chain tensioner
- windshield wiper fluid tank pump

The 128 is one of the last naturally aspirated BMWs and even then it had issues. The turbos are much worse.
Drives quite well but the ride is too punishing with the short wheel base. Not luxurious at all, quite spartan for both these cars. I'm sure the new ones are better but the older ones had more charm. That 318is was a turd but we still have our 128i. She still loves it.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2018, 02:34 PM   #5
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonydakiller View Post
Oh, and you have to pay for courtesy car at BMW, coz they are giving you "premium" cars like 328i to take home, exact words from my service advisor. F off lol
Brian Jessel BMW offers courtesy cars for free. You just have to return them with a full tank of fuel. I don't know where you are servicing but every dealer has their own guidelines.
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2018, 03:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudz View Post
Brian Jessel BMW offers courtesy cars for free. You just have to return them with a full tank of fuel. I don't know where you are servicing but every dealer has their own guidelines.
Are you sure? I'm at autowest, maybe some sweet talks might get a free loaner but I hate my service advisor so less talking the better LOL
After some googling, this is what I found

All dealers in BC change a $25+tax for a BMW loaner. You can also get a generic rental car for free. If you have a personal friend at dealer they may just let you get one without paying.

In Ontario, some bmw dealers want $50 + taxes + your refilled gas for bimmer; non bmw would be $25 +

My gf has mini, they don't even expect you to fill any gas at all lol upon returning.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:50 PM   #7
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I would also second getting extended warranty if you plan on keeping for awhile, and i'd recommend that for any europeon car manufacturer. The n55 motor is actually pretty reliable from what I've seen. Carbon on the valves is not much of an issue as compared to the older n54 motor, and these cars pull pretty damn hard. Majority of the major work being oil pan leakage and oil filter housing gaskets which can be pretty expensive but def nothing that's going to leave you stranded on the road.
dn53 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2018, 04:39 PM   #8
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
u gonna get fcuked LOL

extended warranty and have a good SA

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:56 PM   #9
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I am getting rid of my 10 yr old bmw and trading it in for some more reliable.

If you plan on keeping it after warranty then no unless you can do some of the work or are willing to spend time and money for repairs. It’s a trade off really, bmw does have a nice driving dynamic but are you willing to risk reliability for it.

I was like you 10 years ago researching reliability, people only post bad stuff online and majority od bmw is probably problem free and so I got one and I regretted it after warranty period was over. Valve gasket which was common in the
One engine, all 6 ignition coil went recently, and electric gremlins 2x. And each cost more than your regular brand to service.

Really come down to what your situation is, if you can afford it then why not.
kkttsang is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2018, 05:01 PM   #10
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Get extended warranty. Preferably the factory one. The third party stuff is hit or miss when you try to claim.

I've had many bmw. They drive well when they work. They usually don't. The worst part of owning a BMW is the paranoia. On something like a Toyota, a clunk, a squeak, a rattle, a CEL, usually means something is on its way out but you're probably still good for another 30,000 km until something moderately annoying happens. On a BMW, any time something feels slightly off, the car is about to crap out royally. And, if you don't stop driving it and go fix it immediately, it will explode on you. Leaving you stranded and broke. Things that usually last the life of the car on a Japanese will become regular maintenance items on BMW. The only way I was able to afford to experience owning so many different bmw vehicles is that I fix them myself and buy parts internationally.
toyota86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:31 PM   #11
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonydakiller View Post
Are you sure? I'm at autowest, maybe some sweet talks might get a free loaner but I hate my service advisor so less talking the better LOL
After some googling, this is what I found

All dealers in BC change a $25+tax for a BMW loaner. You can also get a generic rental car for free. If you have a personal friend at dealer they may just let you get one without paying.

In Ontario, some bmw dealers want $50 + taxes + your refilled gas for bimmer; non bmw would be $25 +

My gf has mini, they don't even expect you to fill any gas at all lol upon returning.
I've never had to pay for a loaner at BMW Nanaimo
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:04 PM   #12
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

My 2015 X5 has the same engine as a 435i. I have had no problems so far, knock on wood. The N55 is pretty good when it comes to reliability unlike BMW V8s. Out of paranoia, one thing I do since I own it and not leasing it is that I turned off the auto-start function, I don't think it's good long-term for a turbo engine.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2018, 07:24 PM   #13
I STILL don't get it

Last edited by prudz; 03-18-2018 at 09:54 PM.
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:02 PM   #14
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,110 Times in 602 Posts
i can confirm BJ gave me a chevy spark for a courtesy for a steering service on a 2015 535. drove that bich for a week and then gave it back with a full tank after i beat the f out of it
Old 03-18-2018, 10:07 PM   #15

I'm sure all BMW owners can relate to this, everytime I hear that BMW unique chime while driving I get cold shivers LOL, thinking whats wrong this time around
I had drivetrain mulfunctioned once in my 2012, and you can google it, it's quite popular on the recent BMWs.
Good thing I had drive moderately instead of pull aside now and call emergency numbers listed.
The chime could also mean temperature lower than 3C or low fuel, but i hate that chime, just because I had a bad chime once, it's forever in my head!
Old 03-19-2018, 04:27 AM   #16
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
That chime means it’s either cold outside or something just cost me $1000+.

Worst part is no warning, car will be driving fine until the chime.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2018, 04:59 AM   #17
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
I am of the opinion that a lot of planning is required when it comes to BMW ownership.
More specifically, planning financially and your life / schedule around the vehicle to ensure it is maintained and cared for regularly. I find that most owners do not have a transition plan for when they want to get rid of the BMW, whether it is within a warranty period or not.

toyota86 summed it up best; BMWs are great when they work, however, they usually don't. I've owned three BMWs (and I'm not sure why) but if I were to own one again, it would have to have a meticulous maintenance history, or brand new on a short term lease. I would be not be hell bent on buying one again. They will forever be branded as, "The Ultimate Driving Machine," however, given my experience, I feel that a more true and reflective opinion is that they are the ultimate financial nightmare. Everytime I got into my previous BMWs, I always wondered, "What will happen today?" I never felt comfortable. More BMW owners are less than likely to share their negative experiences, claiming that their BMW was God's chariot. On the flip side, I really did enjoy my E30 325i and E36 M3. The E91 wagon - not so much.

Having said all that, do get one, and then report back to us three or four years later.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2018, 06:54 AM   #18
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

I still have my 2009 335i since new (about 200K)
My suggestion, just lease a new one. Shits keep breaking.

Find a good lease deal, if $600-$800/month sounds too much money for you. Chances are owning a new one or a "slightly used" one it will cost you about the same.

I feel like bmw depreciates the most not when new, but around year 3-6. (People forget there are often factory credit + 6-8% dealer discount on new car when they compare with used car pricing.)
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2018, 07:13 AM   #19
I STILL don't get it

Thanked 3,710 Times in 328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferra View Post
My suggestion, just lease a new one. Shits keep breaking.

Find a good lease deal, if $600-$800/month sounds too much money for you. Chances are owning a new one or a "slightly used" one it will cost you about the same.
^^ What he said.
Lease one new or buy one with a CPO but I wouldn't keep them long term, especially out of warranty. Some of the simplest things can turn into a 4 figure repair, for example a xenon low beam bulb might not be working one day then next thing you know it's the damn module that's broken and it'll cost you around $1000 for just the part.

<<< Deals with these cars everyday
DEADBEA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2018, 07:25 AM   #20
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,393 Times in 5,088 Posts
I owned a BMW once for 2 months, didn't have any breakdowns or repairs, but when I sold it I couldn't shake that feeling like I had just dodged a bullet or paused to look at something right before a bus came through a crosswalk I would have been in.

68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2018, 07:27 AM   #21
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,393 Times in 5,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1freak View Post
i can confirm BJ gave me a chevy spark for a courtesy for a steering service on a 2015 535. drove that bich for a week and then gave it back with a full tank after i beat the f out of it
I don't understand why people do this. Treat other people's property with respect or the service disappears (and then you complain that they don't offer it anymore) or you're the first person running to CTV news or whatever if they do anything at all to your car, but it's okay to fuck their car up right? Sheesh... entitlement much?
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2018, 07:31 AM   #22
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
^ Yikes

02 Infiniti Q45 HID bulbs $200 and ballast $700 from the dealer.

The cost to service luxury brands is a big reason why they depreciate quickly. That and the desire to have new tech and shiny.

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:45 AM   #23
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Don't do it, its going to be a money sinkhole, it is going to convert you into a diagnostic technician and when that BMW chime with the warning lights pop up it feels like getting kicked in the dick.
gramser57 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2018, 12:10 PM   #24
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramser57 View Post
Don't do it, its going to be a money sinkhole, it is going to convert you into a diagnostic technician and when that BMW chime with the warning lights pop up it feels like getting kicked in the dick.
Real words of wisdom. Could not have said it any better.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:28 PM   #25
Need to Seek Professional Help

Buy warranty. My friends 2009 x5 tranny gave up at 100,000kms. Luckly he had extended warranty.
Buy a scan tool because you will have shit loads of engine lights pop up and you dont want to be paying the dealer a diagnostic fee just to run a scan.
teggy604 is offline   Reply With Quote