REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-19-2018, 01:21 PM   #26
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teggy604 View Post
Buy warranty. My friends 2009 x5 tranny gave up at 100,000kms. Luckly he had extended warranty.
Buy a scan tool because you will have shit loads of engine lights pop up and you dont want to be paying the dealer a diagnostic fee just to run a scan.
Where to buy extended warranty (not from dealer as original warranty expired?) and what scan tool do you recommend?
Advertisement
Gh0st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:31 PM   #27
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,386 Times in 4,259 Posts
Typically, a dealer would offer the warranty. But you have to be careful as some warranties are capped for specific line items such as drivetrain, engine, electronics etc. Do your math and homework on what the risk vs. costs are in repairing a particular pain point. Would suck to find out that your transmission isn't covered because you didn't buy extended warranty.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2018, 02:36 PM   #28
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,051 Times in 676 Posts
Sounds like a fucking headache. I will put all of this into consideration. Thanks everyone for chiming in.
Fcukedd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2018, 02:43 PM   #29
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,437 Times in 376 Posts
^these are things to consider not just for used BMWs, but also the case for MB/Audi as well
'06 BMW 330i [RIP]

'02 BMW M3
'99 Honda Civic SIR [sold]
'19 Civic Type R[sold]
'22 MINI Cooper SE
My Photojournal: simplexcars
Simplex123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:06 PM   #30
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,208 Times in 1,958 Posts

Basically, when the warranty is up, bail.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2018, 03:08 PM   #31
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fcukedd View Post
Sounds like a fucking headache. I will put all of this into consideration. Thanks everyone for chiming in.
I don't think anyone here meant to douse the flames with a bucket of ice cold water; I certainly did not mean to. I mean, imagine you buy the 435i and suddenly the transmission and engine run into some kind of mechanical failure. The last thing anyone wants to do is say, "I told you so!"

It would help us all by identifying what you drive now, and then to perhaps throw us all a bone to get a better idea of what you are looking to achieve within your ownership of a BMW. Or if you have considered any alternatives? Will this be your daily driver? How much mileage are you averaging over the past three years? Go test drive a few cars first to see if you really like it, and if so, go for it. But as I said in my previous post - Do some heavy planning around it.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2018, 03:26 PM   #32
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,499 Times in 1,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
They will forever be branded as, "The Ultimate Driving Machine,"
"The Ultimate Driving Machine" ... when it works. I hope the newer BMWs are better, but of the 9 months I've owned my e46, 4 of it was spend sitting in the garage LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Everytime I got into my previous BMWs, I always wondered, "What will happen today?" I never felt comfortable.
THIS. Unlike bcrdukes, imma suck it up, cause I love my unreliable ultimate driving machine when it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonydakiller View Post
Are you sure? I'm at autowest, maybe some sweet talks might get a free loaner but I hate my service advisor so less talking the better LOL
I'd just avoid those scammers at AutoWest. I know an RSer works in Parts, so the only reason for me to go to AutoWest is for parts, plus its close.

When I bought my e46 from a private party, I took it to AutoWest for the airbag recall. I actually didn't know I needed to do it, until I registered the car with AutoWest to check for recalls, since the airbag light wasn't on or anything.

Got the car in, SA was admiring it and tells me he hasn't seen "one of these for awhile" (im sitting there thinking oh cool, but its not a m3). Car gets the recall done, but now airbag light is on. When asked about it, SA says it's not covered under their complementary inspection, and won't tell me what the issue is, other than it's not their fault. So basically, they'll only tell me what the issue is, if I pay them a diagnostic fee for things they already know/caused. I just left. Haven't been back since.

On the other hand, I hear good things about Brian Jessel BMW sales, service, and parts dept tho. Buddy got his recall done there, and some complementary services b/c tech thought his 01 330ci with immola interior was mint and its rarity deserves free service LOL
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:40 PM   #33
ISF
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

I've always been a big fan of BMWs (and still am). I was considering an e92 M3 back when I was shopping for a car but after a lot of research I ended up buying a Lexus. I just didn't want the reliability worry on my mind after working so hard for my money. For what it's worth I never once regretted not owning a BMW. You may feel differently though so do what you feel is more important to you. Good luck
ISF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:59 PM   #34
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
I also considered F30/32 335/435 before I made my decision and found that these were supposed to be pretty reliable. N55 is nowhere near as problematic as the old N54 and they all use the ZF 8 speed transmissions which typically nobody complains about.

Being a CPO I wouldn't worry about it too much. End of day any car can have problems, whether its small electrical glitches or major mechanical problems is luck of the draw.

21' 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
23' VW MK8 GTI 40th Anniversary
18' Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
21' Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

--
16' Mineral Grey F80 BMW M3 6MT SOLD -11/22
22' Halo Toyota GR86 6MT SOLD -11/22
12' Phantom Black - B8 Audi S4 - SOLD 04/19
07' WDP Acura TL Type-S - A-Spec/ATLP/H&R - SOLD 12/17
18' Matte Silver Ice - Triumph 765 Street Triple RS - SOLD 4/21
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:13 PM   #35
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I've owned E53 X5, E65 E60 535xi, F10 535x drive, E65 745li still have F30 328i.
From brand new to used, I would say reliability depends on luck. (N54s are the worse but I love it) But IMO any model over 100k kms is problematic.
I think if you never own one, you should get one at least once in your life. I've enjoy all the bmws I owned, but I would never dare to keep them for too long, 3-5 year is my ownership time frame. Even with extended warranty, the maintenance bills are high as well. Leasing is better option if you are not a mechanic or know a friend who is.
If you care so much about reliability, I would never recommend anything else but Japanese brand. However, if you want to experience driving, you have to get a BMW before u can say its really not that amazing. . . or is it? lol
Pumbaa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2018, 04:59 PM   #36
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 30,977 Times in 7,100 Posts
e36 m3 is far and above the best car I have owned. Its broken down, but overall its been reliable, incredible to drive, and I wouldn't get rid of it for anything at this point.
e46 touring is complete trash. It drives like a boat. If it was a TV it would be branded as a SORNY or MAGNETBOX, and BMW should have gone out of business for allowing such trash to roll of the production line.
You are rolling the dice, but I feel the newer the car, the more disposable I'd expect it to be. They just keep getting more and more complicated, and the repair bills can outpace the values so quickly. Buy new (because of the warranty), or buy old (because of the simplicity), but buying in-between is what makes me nervous.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2018, 05:00 PM   #37
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISF View Post
For what it's worth I never once regretted not owning a BMW.
Only when I'm flogging my is350 do I wish I had a BMW.
At least then, wasting all that premium fuel and tire tread would be exciting!

With the Lexus, everything is anti-climactic.

Last edited by StanleyR; 03-19-2018 at 05:13 PM.
StanleyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:06 PM   #38
all day, everyday

Thanked 2,110 Times in 602 Posts
I drove it like it was my own bm.... Can't help it if it doesn't accelerate like one
But in retrospect Yea probably shouldn't have taken it out on the shit piece courtesy car but going from a full size sedan to a tiny compact for a week wasnt sitting well with me especially having the dam thing during the recent dump of snow AND getting stuck cuz the bitch didn't have decent tires (shit all seasons) .. Didn't help the service guy laughed it off when I called that I was stuck and probably would need a tow Yep I really wanted to treat that car like a princess
at least have the common sense to provide snows or a comparable vehicle with awd
Old 03-19-2018, 08:17 PM   #39
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

If you're buying a used euro car best to start knowing where the good independent specialized shops are especially if you're scared of the dealer costs. My Audi care just ran out but I've already started taking my S4 to RPI Equipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudz View Post
Brian Jessel BMW offers courtesy cars for free. You just have to return them with a full tank of fuel. I don't know where you are servicing but every dealer has their own guidelines.
Same with Capilano Audi. There fleet ranges from A3/Q3-A4/Q5. New models to boot.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:46 PM   #40
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyR View Post
Only when I'm flogging my is350 do I wish I had a BMW.
At least then, wasting all that premium fuel and tire tread would be exciting!

With the Lexus, everything is anti-climactic.
I should probably mention that my brother and some close friends of mine own various BMWs. But just personally I don't regret not owning one. I wanted to clarify that I'm not putting BMW down or anything as I'm a big fan of them like I mentioned already. Reliability is just a big factor for me personally that's why I went the Lexus route.

Never driven the is350 but I'm happy with my isf
Old 03-19-2018, 09:02 PM   #41
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Ive owned
2004 330ci zhp
2002 x5 4.4
2002 e46 m3 convertible
2002 e46 m3 coupe
2007 x5 4.8
2010 x6 3.0

I haven’t really had many issues.
I never had any of them breaking down on me. Generally an issue will creep up on you slowly and you’ll know something will need to be taken care of.
The main thing is maintenance. If you don’t change the fluids then expect the failures to come up.

Last edited by asma123; 03-25-2018 at 12:39 PM.
asma123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:14 PM   #42
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,451 Times in 3,032 Posts
Lexus. Always Lexus.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2018, 09:47 PM   #43
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

E70 X5M with 100k now, just EVAP hose. Dealer wanted 1900CAD for parts. Bought it online from states picked up Pt.Rob for 200$ and installed in 5 mins.

1 Headlight bulb at 90k.

Does consume little bit of oil, top up 1Qt between oil changes.

Otherwise, been very happy with the vehicle. Will be trading it in these coming 2 months as extended warranty is ending VERY soon.
jshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:04 PM   #44

Thanked 4,499 Times in 1,504 Posts
You can check out BMW Engines | Specs, oil change, problems, tuning to see the oil consumption (if reported) for the 435. Most older (e46 era) BMWs burn about 1L per 1000KM. There might be some information for you there, but I can't confirm as site is currently down for maint.
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:22 PM   #45
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshen View Post
E70 X5M with 100k now, just EVAP hose. Dealer wanted 1900CAD for parts. Bought it online from states picked up Pt.Rob for 200$ and installed in 5 mins.

1 Headlight bulb at 90k.

Does consume little bit of oil, top up 1Qt between oil changes.

Otherwise, been very happy with the vehicle. Will be trading it in these coming 2 months as extended warranty is ending VERY soon.
I love the X5M. That SUV is just a beast. What do you plan on getting next? F15?
Old 03-19-2018, 10:32 PM   #46
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 3,177 Times in 621 Posts
Quote:
Are you sure? I'm at autowest, maybe some sweet talks might get a free loaner but I hate my service advisor so less talking the better LOL
After some googling, this is what I found

All dealers in BC change a $25+tax for a BMW loaner. You can also get a generic rental car for free. If you have a personal friend at dealer they may just let you get one without paying.

In Ontario, some bmw dealers want $50 + taxes + your refilled gas for bimmer; non bmw would be $25 +

My gf has mini, they don't even expect you to fill any gas at all lol upon returning.
That fee can be waived if you're on good terms with your service advisor. My mom used to take her car to auto west and she always asked them to waive it for her. I usually go to park shore and my advisor waives it for me as well. I used to go to Brian jessel as well and they never even mentioned anything about a loaner fee. Really up to the dealer/service advisor on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
That chime means it’s either cold outside or something just cost me $1000+.

Worst part is no warning, car will be driving fine until the chime.
Oh my god so much truth in this quote. LOL.

@OP if you get a BMW, just be prepared that stuff is gonna start breaking past 80,000 to 100,000 KM. Extended warranty is nice and I would 100% recommend it, but for some reason I feel like all the big things break after you're out of warranty. My moms X5 needed a new transmission one month out of warranty. My 335 needed a new water pump 2.5 months out of warranty..

That being said, I am probably still gonna get a BMW for my next car just because I like the way they drive and the styling.

-2018 BMW F30 340i M Performance Edition - Current
-2016 BMW F32 435i MPPK - Traded
-2011 BMW E92 335i - SOLD
-2009 Chrysler Sebring Convertible - SOLD
xXSupa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2018, 05:40 AM   #47
RS Veteran

Somewhat off topic, but I saw an RS member post in another thread with the username BrokenEuro and I thought of this thread.

This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2018, 09:23 AM   #48

Thanked 5,221 Times in 1,387 Posts
Had a leased E90 LCI 323i back in late 2010, used it for nothing more than commuting around 100km/day at least 4-5 days a week. Two years later, around 35,000kms iirc, car abruptly bogged down and went into limp mode while accelerating on the southbound on ramp to the 99 from Westminster Highway. Had to limp the car 30kms home misfiring like crazy with a CEL. Routine maintenance had all been done, oil changed every 5000kms, spark plugs just checked a few months prior.

Found out later the car decided to simultaneously fry two coil packs, which actually resulted in some internal damage to the head after BMW checked it out. Car was in the shop for about a week as they rebuilt the head. Everything covered by warranty and I got a courtesy 323i, which happened to get a CEL after two days of driving it. Strangely enough the motor never felt the same following the rebuild, just felt rough and down on power.

From that point on I vowed never to own a BMW ever again. As great as they are to drive, it's really not worth the headaches. Having owned a Honda since 2004 and racking up more than 350,000kms without a single issue aside from stuff breaking from wear-and-tear (with a perfect comp test to boot), now owning a Toyota with 260,000kms and still going, and my parents leasing Mercedes vehicles without any issues either (except for a squeaky/malfunctioning panoramic sunroof fixed under warranty), I'm not sure why it's so difficult for BMW to make good cars.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2018, 09:55 AM   #49
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

LOL, you guys are definitely scaring @Fcukedd from owning a bimmer

F80s/F82s have fairly good reputation, recommend do some homework from bimmerpost, there is a poll from all the users on if they have problems with their F80s and if they do, what is it, you can see it's very small numbers of % that actually have issues, mostly have none. I had N54 engine in my F10, same in 435i that you are thinking I believe, it is a powerful and smooth engine and BMW been using them for a while so i mean, any flaws should been covered already by 2014.

I do have a solution for you, be like me, get a F82 still but get the M version, then you sit your fat ass on those wonderful seats M has, fire up the engine and let that sweet exhaust sinks in your ears a little bit. A voice then comes in telling you everything will be okay. You then start to pull away from the garage, all you be thinking is that today is gonna be the best day ever!
You be ok man with F82, don't let these ppl bully you LOL
Jonydakiller is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2018, 10:43 AM   #50
RS Veteran

Quote:
I do have a solution for you, be like me, get a F82 still but get the M version, then you sit your fat ass on those wonderful seats M has, fire up the engine, misfire, and let that sweet exhaust sinks in your ears a little bit until blue smoke comes out. A voice then comes in telling you everything will not be okay. You then start to pull away from the garage, all you be thinking is that today the engine is going to blow, and the radiator cracks, and the water pump fails, and the transmission fails!
You be ok man with F82, let these ppl bully you LOL
Fixed

This post thanked by: