REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:45 PM   #26
My homepage has been set to RS

raping is fun
Advertisement
danned is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-24-2018, 09:47 PM   #27
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Based off that chart I'd have to pay $11 a day to go to work. Good thing I changed jobs and work closer to home now.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:03 PM   #28
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
In case some of you haven't seen the other option, zone distance based charges would look like this.

snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:44 PM   #29
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
We should have gone with hub model instead of line model. Meaning we should have had all big busses/Skytrains serving major transit hubs (increased frequencies) with small buses serving locally PLUS a big parking lot for people to park their cars if they choose to drive and/or don't have service in their area.

Instead, we have buses running all around the metro and yet the coverage/frequency sucks monkey ball.
I've seen this argument repeated many times over the years and it's actually quite mis-informed.

Our current transit system is actually a hub and spoke model. Downtown Vancouver and other town centres such as Surrey Central, Metrotown, and Bridgeport act as hubs. Bus service is actually very good in the inner suburbs and shit in the outer suburbs such as Maple Ridge and Langley. You can't build a good transit system if you don't have sufficient density. People love their single family homes on double wide lots east of Boundary Road.

Park and Rides do exist, but they aren't really viable in the long-term given the value of land anywhere west of Abbotsford. Does it make sense for the taxpayer to subsidize the cost of a park and ride when Translink could become a developer and develop a parcel of land it owns into condos?

The problem is that commuting patterns in Metro Vancouver do not reflect the hub and spoke model. Downtown Vancouver is a job centre and so is the Broadway corridor, but aside from that, there are few other job centres. People are commuting from suburb to suburb. If you live in Vancouver or an inner suburb such as Burnaby, you're most likely employed in the core. People who live outside of these areas are commuting to other suburbs. That's why this whole mobility pricing project was commissioned in the first place - our road system is no longer suitable for current commuting patterns. And before someone says why don't they just build more highways - well, rights of way are extremely expensive to acquire these days and would likely face intense opposition from basically every interest group imaginable.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-24-2018, 11:10 PM   #30
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
where are you getting the commuting data that people are going suburb to suburb?

the suggested pricing is ridiculous...yes it's meant to discourage you, but then what? take few hours transiting each day? sell your car so you can buy an e-bike? what about picking up the kids from games? moving closer to work isn't viable for most because it's why we're sprawling east in the first place
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:31 PM   #31
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
The CPC (congestion point charge) and DBC (distance based charge) proposals are both ridiculously expensive, that much is obvious if you even just spend 30 seconds looking at the picture below.

Among the people I know, it is not at all uncommon to see people driving from PoCo to VGH, from Surrey to Burnaby, from Burnaby to Richmond for work. Only one of those commutes are shown in the chart below, and to me, it is not at all a coincidence why those other common routes are left out as examples.

The PoCo to VGH route slaps a $7.49 mobility charge for a 1-way drive. That means each work day's commute alone costs $15 on top of gas money. And extra $15/day?! Are you fxxking kidding me?! Given the current state of public transportation and all other possible travelling alternatives, how else is a person supposed to get from PoCo to VGH in a timely manner unless he is driving? Are we supposed to spend 2 hrs each way and change buses / Skytrain 3x just to get to work? And then do that all over again to get home? Or are we supposed to bike 2 hours each way, scorching hot and sweating like a pig in the summer, and drenched from head to toe by the rain from October to February? Is that what the provincial government / mobility pricing commission want us to do???

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball View Post
In case some of you haven't seen the other option, zone distance based charges would look like this.

Last edited by Traum; 05-24-2018 at 11:38 PM.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-24-2018, 11:38 PM   #32
My homepage has been set to RS

No chance this goes through.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:42 PM   #33
I subscribe to Revscene

If traffic is the problem, then make Skytrain free. The problem is nothing in Canada is nationalized.
Us peons should look to solutions like car pooling ( https://www.revscene.net/forums/7084...-hard-way.html) and ways of escaping this life of servitude paying for shelter.
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-24-2018, 11:45 PM   #34

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
where are you getting the commuting data that people are going suburb to suburb?

the suggested pricing is ridiculous...yes it's meant to discourage you, but then what? take few hours transiting each day? sell your car so you can buy an e-bike? what about picking up the kids from games? moving closer to work isn't viable for most because it's why we're sprawling east in the first place
Here's an older study from the Vancouver Sun: Maps reveal Metro Vancouver?s commuting habits

I commute from suburb to suburb using a car. We live in the suburbs because we didn't want to live in a condo after we had kids, so this program is going to hit us pretty hard. But, I'm also not naive - something needs to be done about congestion and we are going to all have to pay whether we like it or not. Or we have to make a lifestyle choice and live in high density communities. I lived in a high density neighbourhood for many years. It's no longer my cup of tea - at least I am honest about that choice and I am willing to pay something closer to the truer cost of that choice.

If you want a high paying job, you don't have to work in downtown Vancouver. If you're a single or DINK couple, do you really need more than 800 square feet?
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2018, 02:30 AM   #35
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Great, sell our real-estate to foreign investors (which drives up our housing crisis), tear down the viaducts, create more bike lanes and then charge and blame us for the congestion... Wtf kind of logic is that?

Property taxes are up; okay we move away from Vancouver, transit fares goes up and shitty service; no problem we can just drive to work, gas prices goes up & insurance goes up... What the hell are our options???

This is beginning to sound like a political joke. FFS, how can ANYONE afford to live here that's not filthy mainlander rich???
DaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:53 AM   #36
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,340 Times in 5,649 Posts
Dem NDP voters doe
Old 05-25-2018, 06:36 AM   #37
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
If any of the suggested idea get pass is political suicide for NDP. The push back would be so hard people will want to vote them out ASAP.

If NDP even have half a brain they wouldn't do anything about it.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2018, 07:50 AM   #38
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,582 Times in 4,298 Posts
What did you think was going to happen when those voted in the NDP and the two bridge tolls were removed? Typical government destroying our province again plain and simple. I'm sure those happy about the bridge tolls being removed are not so happy right now since they will be paying for then before.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:10 AM   #39

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Great another source of taxation with a whole other set of costs to administer.

100 million dollars a year? Fuck you. I would rather see a property tax increase or something else. BUt introducing another tax, with another cost of administration, set up, and whole new set of staff is retarded.

We need to be consolidating the taxes we pay, not broadening them. That 100 million dollars is literally wasted money spent on setting this up.

Its a miracle to think that the NDP thought the money spent on keeping treo going was a waste, and yet would be in favour of this.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2018, 08:11 AM   #40
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
If the BC Gov't implements this I have half a mind to say "fuck it" - cash out my shoebox condo and buy a house somewhere in umm... Texas? I'll probably be able to afford a mansion and drive my gas guzzler F350 at 85mph (140kph) legally.

https://jalopnik.com/the-glorious-85...ing-1787640990

Now there's a place that respects drivers. Good BBQ too. Please convince me otherwise.

#BestPlaceOnEarth

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2018, 08:36 AM   #41
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Great another source of taxation with a whole other set of costs to administer.

100 million dollars a year? Fuck you. I would rather see a property tax increase or something else. BUt introducing another tax, with another cost of administration, set up, and whole new set of staff is retarded.

We need to be consolidating the taxes we pay, not broadening them. That 100 million dollars is literally wasted money spent on setting this up.

Its a miracle to think that the NDP thought the money spent on keeping treo going was a waste, and yet would be in favour of this.
UMMM how about no to property tax increase. Is already expensive as it is. They should increase PST or increase the tax we pay on gas already.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:10 AM   #42
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
UMMM how about no to property tax increase. Is already expensive as it is. They should increase PST or increase the tax we pay on gas already.
except we have the lowest property tax in north america?

lowest in canada for sure for an urban area

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:51 AM   #43
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
If I own a home but use mainly transit, I'd be fucking pissed if I had to pay more property tax when I don't even drive. This especially applies to seniors who are no longer suited for the road.

Would much rather see increases in gas or insurance price. Would not object to insurance based on kilometers driven either; drive more, pay more makes sense. Creating all these zones just complicates things and penalizes people who live in different districts. I can't even imagine what it'd be like if I happen to live right on the border of a tolling area. If this goes through, Vancouver businesses better be more progressive when it comes to allowing staff to work from home. Cause most of them surely can't afford to drive there anymore LOL.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:51 AM   #44
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
So would they track it with a transponder, cameras or what?

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:59 AM   #45
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
If I own a home but use mainly transit, I'd be fucking pissed if I had to pay more property tax when I don't even drive. This especially applies to seniors who are no longer suited for the road.
I'd totally agree with you if Transit wasn't subsidized mostly by people who don't use it. Remove the $0.17 per litre gas tax from everyone who drives and push that cost onto the transit users, then offer a proportional rebate on property taxes for the portion of those taxes that go to skytrain (buses use roads) to people who use transit regularly. Fairs fair right?

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:37 AM   #46
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
What did you think was going to happen when those voted in the NDP and the two bridge tolls were removed? Typical government destroying our province again plain and simple. I'm sure those happy about the bridge tolls being removed are not so happy right now since they will be paying for then before.
I find it surprising that people immediately blame the NDP and/or voters who voted in the NDP-Greens, because if it wasn't the NDP being in power, it would be that wicked evil imbecile woman and the Libs continuing to fxxk our province up for another 4 years. Is further selling out of our province to foreigners and developers preferable to what we are seeing now? Would you prefer to continue seeing our province becoming the international money laundering machine that it has become under Liberals rule? Did you prefer staying ignorantly happy until the ICBC dumpster fire bubble bursted?

Horgan and the NDP have certainly done some dumb stuff so far in his term. At the same time, him and the NDP have also done stuff that I think have been good for the province. It is a good standard practice to replace your governing political party every now and then. An extended run like the Liberals had was not good for anyone.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2018, 10:51 AM   #47
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

^
Stay on topic about mobility pricing and the wasteful tax sucking NDP please.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:11 AM   #48
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

wouldn't this DBP device run into privacy law issues? the government can suddenly track where we are now? fucking insane.

congested? i don't have an issue with congestion, it's not as bad as it is if people stop fucking crashing or breaking down DURING rushhour
'02 Suzuki GSXR 750

Order the New 2020 Civic Type R, pm me

Driftspecs Apparel
www.driftspecsapparel.com
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2018, 11:18 AM   #49
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
This is a dumb ass idea. The cities already have huge affordability issue but lets make living more expensive. Out of touch politicians.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2018, 11:19 AM   #50
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post

Would much rather see increases in gas or insurance price. Would not object to insurance based on kilometers driven either; drive more, pay more makes sense. Creating all these zones just complicates things and penalizes people who live in different districts. I can't even imagine what it'd be like if I happen to live right on the border of a tolling area. If this goes through, Vancouver businesses better be more progressive when it comes to allowing staff to work from home. Cause most of them surely can't afford to drive there anymore LOL.
As mentioned above, that person who would be pissed about their property taxes going up when they don't even drive never complained while all of us who do drive pay taxes out the ass to pay for public transit.

I don't agree that if you drive more you should pay more. If I have driven over 15 years without an accident why should I pay more? I already pay more with gas taxes.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote