REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-12-2020, 11:23 AM   #3626
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,579 Times in 1,722 Posts
Oh man, this is actually pretty funny.

So let me get this, Republicans laughed at the idea of any Russian involvement or hacking of the election when referenced back in 2016 to the benefit the Republicans.

Now Republicans and Trump supporters are using something they scoffed at 4 years ago, as a reasoning to doubt this year's election because their guy lost?

The cynicism being used here is absolutely hilarious.
Advertisement
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2020, 11:45 AM   #3627
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,004 Times in 1,909 Posts
^ Already demonstrated this 'situational ethic' with the appointment of Justice to the Supreme Court.

Shouldn't be this way but now I'll be surprised, whether it is the Dems or Rep, if they DON't act with the ultimate goal of benefitting their own.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2020, 04:11 PM   #3628
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,579 Times in 1,722 Posts
The other thing here that the right are completely conflating here is what the alleged Russia involvement entailed.

Democrats alledged the following in 2016 in terms of Russia's involvement, let me prefix, I'm not a big supporter of the Russia argument, as I believe it takes away accountability of the complete and utter corruption and propaganda set on the American public by American entities right at home.

They allege the following:

-Russian bots undermining democracy through Facebook, and other online social media
-Possible hacking of Diebold machines

The second point has not been substantiated, although the fact that these machines can't be audited is a major flaw in the system.

Trump and the Republicans aren't arguing against the above two points, they're arguing about mail in voting, and those votes being counted. Russia can't "hack" a mailed in ballot Completely different scenario here, there is no reason or evidence to question the legitimacy of these mailed in ballots.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 04:30 PM   #3629
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,698 Times in 1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
-Russian bots undermining democracy through Facebook, and other online social media
I think a lot of people fail to make the connection of how this actually went down.

Russia didn't directly affect the elections by having guys named Vlad and Aleksei drop bags of fraudulent votes, etc. - instead, as mentioned, they littered the internet with unsubstantiated claims, stoked the ignorance of people with memes (their primary source of 'information', and just generally created division. I mean primarily they went after low-education rednecks, and that seems to have worked in 2016..
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2020, 04:31 PM   #3630
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,383 Times in 1,231 Posts
https://imgur.com/zZ526ZN

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2020, 04:39 PM   #3631
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Fixed.

Old 11-12-2020, 05:00 PM   #3632
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,004 Times in 1,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
I think a lot of people fail to make the connection of how this actually went down.

Russia didn't directly affect the elections by having guys named Vlad and Aleksei drop bags of fraudulent votes, etc. - instead, as mentioned, they littered the internet with unsubstantiated claims, stoked the ignorance of people with memes (their primary source of 'information', and just generally created division. I mean primarily they went after low-education rednecks, and that seems to have worked in 2016..
Actually, if you watch the documentary, Social Dilemma, the built in algorithms of FB, google search, youtube, etc. took over and started to feed the similar kind of stories that a person leans towards. And as a result, created a wave or more like a tsunami of info making a person believe even moreso that whatever they read is the truth and the other side is a hoax. All Russia needed to do was to start the wheel spinning and create conspiracy theories, stories (like Pizzagate or Hunter Biden disc) ... then HAL from A Space Odyssey ... or the Matrix takes over because of predictable human behaviour.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2020, 08:07 PM   #3633
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,277 Times in 1,633 Posts
Kind of a cross-post but covid is hitting harder than ever before in the US (144,000+ daily cases) and all Trump is doing is rage tweeting.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2020, 08:44 PM   #3634
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
144k? Holy fuck.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:56 PM   #3635
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Biggest invasion force in US history.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:02 PM   #3636
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
America 2020

Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:11 PM   #3637

Old 11-12-2020, 10:11 PM   #3638
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,305 Times in 2,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 View Post
Kind of a cross-post but covid is hitting harder than ever before in the US (144,000+ daily cases) and all Trump is doing is rage tweeting.
While what you're saying is true, remember the 90% effective Pfizer vaccine that we heard about a few days ago? I think it is also worth mentioning -- and only fair to mention -- that Trump poured in a ton of money into COVID vaccine research. I don't necessarily agree with the pressure he was putting on the FDA to fastrack vaccine approval, but in the end, I don't think the vaccine developers gave into that pressure while at the same time, the pressure lead to a bigger effort that inevitibly expediated vaccine R&D. So in that sense, Trump deserves a bit of credit for enabling that to happen.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:15 PM   #3639
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
While what you're saying is true, remember the 90% effective Pfizer vaccine that we heard about a few days ago? I think it is also worth mentioning -- and only fair to mention -- that Trump poured in a ton of money into COVID vaccine research. I don't necessarily agree with the pressure he was putting on the FDA to fastrack vaccine approval, but in the end, I don't think the vaccine developers gave into that pressure while at the same time, the pressure lead to a bigger effort that inevitibly expediated vaccine R&D. So in that sense, Trump deserves a bit of credit for enabling that to happen.
Do you know how much the US contributed to vaccine research overall, compared to other countries?
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:26 PM   #3640
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
“Pfizer is proud to be one of various vaccine manufacturers participating in Operation Warp Speed as a supplier of a potential COVID-19 vaccine,” Sharon Castillo, a Pfizer spokesperson, told Snopes in an email. “While Pfizer did reach an advanced purchase agreement with the U.S. government, the company did not accept the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA) funding for the research and development process. All the investment for R&D and manufacturing has been made by Pfizer at risk.”
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2020, 11:26 PM   #3641
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,305 Times in 2,513 Posts
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/10/h...arp-speed.html

Quote:
In July, Pfizer got a $1.95 billion deal with the government’s Operation Warp Speed, the multiagency effort to rush a vaccine to market, to deliver 100 million doses of the vaccine. The arrangement is an advance-purchase agreement, meaning that the company won’t get paid until they deliver the vaccines. Pfizer did not accept federal funding to help develop or manufacture the vaccine, unlike front-runners Moderna and AstraZeneca.

Although it’s true that Pfizer and BioNTech had been working on a vaccine all year before the companies struck their deal with the U.S. government in July, a $1.95 billion deal is nevertheless a significant incentive to keep going. In fact, international health organizations have long used such market guarantees to encourage for-profit manufacturers to supply vaccines to the developing world.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:36 PM   #3642
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
144k? Holy fuck.
France was at 87k a day a week ago, and they've got a 5X smaller population
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:37 PM   #3643

The husband and wife team behind the vaccine are Muslim. I wonder how trump supporters feel about that.

https://nationalpost.com/news/behind...ife-dream-team

A Muslim couple find the vaccine for Covid-19
Old 11-13-2020, 12:22 AM   #3644
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,698 Times in 1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
The husband and wife team behind the vaccine are Muslim. I wonder how trump supporters feel about that.

https://nationalpost.com/news/behind...ife-dream-team

A Muslim couple find the vaccine for Covid-19
They gave zero shits when Trump's treatment for Covid19 included drugs made using aborted fetus cells (from 1970s, for those unaware).

As stated too many times, they're a cult - and most far too simple minded to grasp ideas like 'immigrants may be good'.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-13-2020, 12:38 AM   #3645

Took a look at trumps Twitter and he's pushing ppl away from fox news and promoting One America News Network

Don't think I've ever heard of them, but I found this about them

Old 11-13-2020, 12:46 AM   #3646
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Took a look at trumps Twitter and he's pushing ppl away from fox news and promoting One America News Network

Don't think I've ever heard of them, but I found this about them

https://youtu.be/UnSILVWDKL8
Like I said, Republicans aren't even insane enough anymore. The cult has to splinter off on their own. And FOX News isn't crazy enough, so he has this. It actually looks like an over the top satire of FOX News

The looks on the faces of the other people in press when that idiot talking about how "the term chinese food isn't racist, so chinese flu can't be"

Seeing that footage reminds me of some of the russian fake news stuff I've seen. Or China state media
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 01:25 AM   #3647

It's pretty shocking, reminds of Ezra Levant ,and that racist news network they had in Canada

That female reporter asking over the top questions is cute though
Old 11-13-2020, 06:12 AM   #3648
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,277 Times in 1,633 Posts
Quote:
The CEO of Pfizer says otherwise. The $1.95B was only promised towards distribution, not the making of the vaccine. Which means they've literally done zero up to this point in helping to make the vaccine. Also, public/political pressure plays zero role in the safe creation of medications in general. These are researchers, doctors and patients involved in the process. Speed isn't the goal, safety and efficacy is.

Read more here:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/09/busin...ine/index.html
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:35 AM   #3649
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,451 Times in 5,113 Posts
The scary thing is you read even a little bit of trumps Twitter comments and all is supporters are like “FOX sold out to lamestream media and lefties except Hannity and Carlson they should leave immediately, go to OAN for the truth!!!!!” It’s literally filled with those comments.

So much facepalm.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:55 AM   #3650
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Confirmation bias is a real thing.