REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:11 PM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,519 Posts
Hope's historic Creek Trestle Bridge is in flames due to a discarded cigarette butt

Discarded cigarette butt ignites 100-year-old trestle bridge near Hope, B.C.

Kettle Valley Railway's Ladner Creek Trestle Bridge continues to burn 2 days after fire started

The iconic bridge in Hope is up in flames, due to a couple of idiots who thought smoking in a forest would be a good idea. I bet it's one of those #instagramworthy people. This is why we can't have nice things.

Quote:
According to witnesses, on Sunday two men and one woman ventured across the dilapidated bridge and dropped a cigarette butt near the far end. By the time they returned, smoke was beginning to rise from the bridge deck.

"We asked them were you smoking out there and they said, 'shoot, that's not good,'" said witness Mallory Mogg.

"So they ran out there with water to try to put it out but it was too big by the time they got out there... and the water they had wasn't going to cut it."

"They left as soon as I called B.C. Wildfire," sad Mogg.

Forest catches fire

Mogg said within 20 minutes the fire had grown from campfire size to bonfire size, and the planks of wood from the rail bed were falling into the forest below, lighting the trees on fire.

"So we called [B.C. Wildfire] back and said it was escalating, that trees were catching on fire and that everything was getting worse."

Mogg says a three person ground crew arrived 40 minutes later and air tankers about an hour later.

That's when the fire crews evacuated the area.

"They told us we had to go because it was getting unpredictable," said Mogg."Oh my gosh, there was so much smoke."

The Coastal Fire Centre says the fire is currently 0.2 hectares in size, but that steep terrain is making it difficult for the crew fighting it.

"They are focused on the area beneath the trestle, so we do have safety concerns for them going directly underneath because there's falling debris," said fire information officer Jeanne Larsen. "They are working to establish a water source and get in there and [get it] knocked down."

People are shitty. So much for going on a hike to an awesome place. (Please don't be Chinese)
Advertisement
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-29-2018, 10:37 PM   #2
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Discarded cigarette butt ignites 100-year-old trestle bridge near Hope, B.C.

Kettle Valley Railway's Ladner Creek Trestle Bridge continues to burn 2 days after fire started

The iconic bridge in Hope is up in flames, due to a couple of idiots who thought smoking in a forest would be a good idea. I bet it's one of those #instagramworthy people. This is why we can't have nice things.

People are shitty. So much for going on a hike to an awesome place. (Please don't be Chinese)
doubt it's chinese, Chinese people don't hike
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-29-2018, 10:53 PM   #3
HELP ME PLS!!!

I see lots of Chinese people hiking all the time.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:16 AM   #4
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Well at least it's only the bridge deck that's made of wood...
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:25 AM   #5
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
Well at least it's only the bridge deck that's made of wood...
Dude, it isn't just the bridge deck that's burning up. When debris and shxt falls down, the forest below is also burning up.

Wasn't it recently when a US judge sentenced some idiot boy $300M+ for causing a wild fire? We need to catch these fxxkers and lay down some hurt so that people know there are consequences.

They better turn themselves in...
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2018, 05:07 AM   #6
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
I don't smoke so I don't know the feeling of this but is it actually that hard to ignore the urge to have a cigarette in a forest? Clearly they must've known it probably wasn't the smartest idea but caved in to their urges.

Anyone here smoke? How hard is it to not smoke for a few hours?
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:31 AM   #7
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
I was a chain smoker for decades. It's not that hard to stop for a couple of hours. Beyond that, I would get the shakes, lol.

Haven't smoked for nearly ten years, maybe more. I still get a craving now and then.

The scariest part was for a year or two after I quit, I was coughing up some nasty shit. Brown/grey stuff. Quit now guys. And, for those who are thinking of starting, don't. I grew up when smoking was like the norm. Shit was so cheap back then. Now it's like burning money. Good news is, you gonna die sooner, so......... nuff said. /sermon.

Back on topic..........

I hope they catch those fokkers and make them pay for the damages. Make them clean up the mess.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 05-30-2018 at 05:39 AM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2018, 06:07 AM   #8
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,002 Times in 1,907 Posts
I can't tell you how much I hate smokers who flick their ashes & butts out the window even here in the city streets. But out in the trails and forests ... ??!! Especially when over the past few years, there have been so many forest fires? What do we need, warnings on packages not to drop their butts on campgrounds and forests? Even if they catch the idiots, nothing they can do to punish them enough for their stupidity.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:16 AM   #9
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
They better turn themselves in...
now why would anyone do that?
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2018, 07:00 AM   #10
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Was this an accident...? I wish I could start my campfires or my BBQ like that. Just drop a cigarette into my wood or charcoal pile and walk off
minoru_tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:10 AM   #11
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
I deal with this every day every summer at work. The landscaping in the parking lot is bark mulch. Everyone drops their fags in it and it ignited within minutes.

Like said above. This is why we can’t have nice things. I did 3 hikes this weekend. This one was on my future list
Old 05-30-2018, 08:12 AM   #12
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,519 Posts
Idk about the rest of the smokers here, but like when I smoke/vape I try to be as responsible as I can - stay away from families, blow away from people/blow with the wind, ash it out real good in the summer.

It's not that hard to hold out for a couple of hours. Nevertheless, I wouldn't even smoke in a park where there could be risk of fire. If you really need your nic hit and want to do hikes, buy a vape, bring the vape, stay away from people. Not that hard.

I figure irresponsibility has always happened. But c'mon. I set a goal for doing 2 hikes a month for this summer, and this was also on the list

Side note: Witness should have taken a picture of all of their faces, and if possible and not dangerous, should have followed back to their car and taken down the plate. But I feel like that would lead to an aggressive encounter.
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2018, 09:03 AM   #13
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
now why would anyone do that?
Because surrendering to the authorities will net you a lighter penalty than if you have the police come knocking at your door?
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:47 AM   #14
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Plus, chances are, you’re already on their radar.......... the Mounties (RCMP) always get their man.

So solly, forgot to include, LGBBQ. The Mounties always get their person/perps. So hard to be politically correct.

I mean, LGBT. Always getting it wong. I know, say Liquid Gold Bubble Tea. Got it!
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2018, 12:23 PM   #15
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,695 Times in 3,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
doubt it's chinese, Chinese people don't hike
Most of the railroad tunnels and these rail bridges were built by the Chinese. this is a damn shame as it's a part of BC heritage and should be protected as such.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-30-2018, 01:21 PM   #16
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
I had been reading up on this particular bridge/tunnel a couple months ago as a possible hike after watching this flyover of the construction of the Coquihalla. I thought how fortunate it would have been for those pushing the highway through to have encountered this track throughout the valley after being abandoned decades before.
I hope a fire doesn't weaken the steel it is probably of low quality by today's standards. Plus the wood used was likely treated with oil.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:56 PM   #17
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,334 Times in 5,645 Posts
kinda miss the ol' toll booth
Old 05-30-2018, 03:21 PM   #18
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
I can't tell you how much I hate smokers who flick their ashes & butts out the window even here in the city streets. But out in the trails and forests ... ??!! Especially when over the past few years, there have been so many forest fires? What do we need, warnings on packages not to drop their butts on campgrounds and forests? Even if they catch the idiots, nothing they can do to punish them enough for their stupidity.
over the last few years?
bud we live in a boreal forest. it happens every year, it has to happen for the forest to regrow.

just ignorant people accelerating it and/or making it bigger than it would have been.

as it stands there is a $1m fine if they can prove you caused a forest fire.

i think it needs to be higher, and include prison time or huge amounts of community service... like helping rebuild homes or planting trees or something...

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:30 PM   #19
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Idk about the rest of the smokers here, but like when I smoke/vape I try to be as responsible as I can - stay away from families, blow away from people/blow with the wind, ash it out real good in the summer.

It's not that hard to hold out for a couple of hours. Nevertheless, I wouldn't even smoke in a park where there could be risk of fire. If you really need your nic hit and want to do hikes, buy a vape, bring the vape, stay away from people. Not that hard.

I figure irresponsibility has always happened. But c'mon. I set a goal for doing 2 hikes a month for this summer, and this was also on the list

Side note: Witness should have taken a picture of all of their faces, and if possible and not dangerous, should have followed back to their car and taken down the plate. But I feel like that would lead to an aggressive encounter.
My friends who smoke are the same way, but there are so many smokers out there who don't give a fuck and they're usually the loudest whenever restrictions/bans come about.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2018, 03:43 PM   #20
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Walking smokers are the worst.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2018, 06:47 PM   #21
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Most of the railroad tunnels and these rail bridges were built by the Chinese. this is a damn shame as it's a part of BC heritage and should be protected as such.
still remember the "1 dead chinaman for every mile" comment while growing up

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2018, 01:02 AM   #22
RS controls my life!

best way i'd say is to go on instagram, try to find any postings of images they may have tagged themselves in with the bridge and you will be able to find them scumbags!
Old 06-02-2018, 02:49 PM   #23
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
blaming hashtaginstagram for cigarette fire is like blaming this web site for drifting a Subaru into the curb

and not that it matters but go to any of the zoos neary Whistler in August (Elfine, Garibaldi, Joffre) and you will find quite a few Chinese hikers
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote