REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Anthony Bourdain dead at 61 suicide (https://www.revscene.net/forums/714899-anthony-bourdain-dead-61-suicide.html)

Manic! 06-08-2018 03:35 AM

Anthony Bourdain dead at 61 suicide

WTF!!! man

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/an...bit/index.html

Quote:

New York (CNN)Anthony Bourdain, a gifted storyteller and writer who took CNN viewers around the world, has died. He was 61.
CNN confirmed Bourdain's death on Friday and said the cause of death was suicide.
"It is with extraordinary sadness we can confirm the death of our friend and colleague, Anthony Bourdain," the network said in a statement Friday morning. "His love of great adventure, new friends, fine food and drink and the remarkable stories of the world made him a unique storyteller. His talents never ceased to amaze us and we will miss him very much. Our thoughts and prayers are with his daughter and family at this incredibly difficult time."
Bourdain was in France working on an upcoming episode of his award-winning CNN series "Parts Unknown." His close friend Eric Ripert, the French chef, found Bourdain unresponsive in his hotel room Friday morning.

Bourdain was a master of his crafts -- first in the kitchen and then in the media. Through his TV shows and books, he explored the human condition and helped audiences think differently about food, travel and themselves. He advocated for marginalized populations and campaigned for safer working conditions for restaurant staffs.
Along the way, he received practically every award the industry has to offer.
In 2013, Peabody Award judges honored Bourdain and "Parts Unknown" for "expanding our palates and horizons in equal measure."
"He's irreverent, honest, curious, never condescending, never obsequious," the judges said. "People open up to him and, in doing so, often reveal more about their hometowns or homelands than a traditional reporter could hope to document."
The Smithsonian once called him "the original rock star" of the culinary world, "the Elvis of bad boy chefs."
In 1999 he wrote a New Yorker article, "Don't Eat Before Reading This," that became a best-selling book in 2000, "Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly."
The book set him on a path to international stardom.
First he hosted "A Cook's Tour" on the Food Network, then moved to "Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations" on the Travel Channel. "No Reservations" was a breakout hit, earning two Emmy Awards and more than a dozen nominations.
In 2013 both Bourdain and CNN took a risk by bringing him to the news network still best known for breaking news and headlines. Bourdain quickly became one of the principal faces of the network and one of the linchpins of the prime time schedule.
Season eleven of "Parts Unknown" premiered on CNN last month.
While accepting the Peabody award in 2013, Bourdain described how he approached his work.
"We ask very simple questions: What makes you happy? What do you eat? What do you like to cook? And everywhere in the world we go and ask these very simple questions," he said, "we tend to get some really astonishing answers."
Bourdain's death happened after fashion designer Kate Spade hanged herself in an apparent suicide at her Manhattan apartment on Tuesday. Spade was found hanged by a scarf she allegedly tied to a doorknob, an NYPD source said.
Suicide is a growing problem in the United States. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention published a survey Thursday showing suicide rates increased by 25% across the United States over nearly two decades ending in 2016. Twenty-five states experienced a rise in suicides by more than 30%, the government report finds.
---
How to get help: Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.

Tim Budong 06-08-2018 04:17 AM

He inspired an entire generation. The way he tells his stories was very intriguing

Depression is a serious thing.
Get help

SkinnyPupp 06-08-2018 04:22 AM

I was just about to watch his latest Hong Kong episode tonight... How tragic. Amazing storyteller... I knew he had issues with depression and drugs, but seemed like he had things in order. I guess not.

Depression fucking sucks. Take it from me

Vansterdam 06-08-2018 05:39 AM

man he gave me some hella good recommendations on places to eat when I travel.

thats fucked up

RIP to a legend

sonick 06-08-2018 06:04 AM

This actually is hitting me pretty hard emotionally. I've never felt this for any other celebrity death. RIP. He opened my eyes to the love of food and travel.

68style 06-08-2018 06:13 AM

What in the actual fuck... no... oh man I don’t usually get shaken up by celebrity deaths but this one... no...

winson604 06-08-2018 06:38 AM

Bummed for real, RIP

Hondaracer 06-08-2018 06:48 AM

If anyone follows him on instagram etc. in the last year or so he seemed a little more fucked up than usual

His wife who he had his kid with seemingly disappeared over night and he started dating that kinda emo goth actress on the regular, life seemed a little out of sorts, at least on the surface

Tim Budong 06-08-2018 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick (Post 8906097)
This actually is hitting me pretty hard emotionally. I've never felt this for any other celebrity death. RIP. He opened my eyes to the love of food and travel.

I feel ya, this one hurts. He truly changed the way I look at travel and he inspired me to take risks, try new things out of your comfort zone. even live abroad. It was more than travel, it was to soak in different cultures.

fliptuner 06-08-2018 07:39 AM

Anytime I travelled to placed he'd been, I went to restaurants he ate at.

He inspired me to travel through Vietnam, via train, stopping at all the small towns.

RIP

Nlkko 06-08-2018 07:46 AM

I’m shaken. He opened eyes to many many cultures . What a loss.

pastarocket 06-08-2018 08:00 AM

RIP Mr. Bourdain. :tears:

What a terrible week for celebrities. Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain pass away in the same week from suicide.

!SG 06-08-2018 08:09 AM

sad day....

:(

RIP

white rocket 06-08-2018 08:17 AM

Unbelievably tragic. He seemed like such an open guy discussing deep personal issues and, in turn, allowing a safe space for others to open up to him. He seemed to connect with anyone he came into contact with. Such a rich knowledge base from decades of world travels on not just food, but the human condition as a whole. I looked at his show(s) as almost therapeutic. This is a huge loss.

RIP Mr. Bourdain

When you are a prisoner in your mind there is no escape and this is typically the result of that. If anything, his death will further the discussion about mental health and help keep it in the forefront.

CivicBlues 06-08-2018 08:20 AM

He inspired me to visit Laos of all places. And his love of Asia has made helped me re-appreciate the heritage I once shunned, taking a year off to do so. I may not have grown up watching him, but I certainly became an adult while doing so. RIP old friend, I hope you find peace now. You spun a good yarn.

twitchyzero 06-08-2018 08:21 AM

all the food in the corners of the world yet he still felt empty inside

Mr.Money 06-08-2018 08:22 AM

pretty fucked up :(...i always thought he was a humble guy with everything in this world,Was confused to why someone like him would Off himself.

Crazy world we live in when celebrities seem to be hanging themselves left & right lately.

white rocket 06-08-2018 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CivicBlues (Post 8906116)
He inspired me to visit Laos of all places.

Slight derail but as a neat coincidence, my user avatar is me in the back of a Hilux travelling through the jungles of Laos.

dapperfied 06-08-2018 08:29 AM

One of the reasons why I travel. RIP.

TOS'd 06-08-2018 08:42 AM

RIP. Definitely inspired my solo traveling career.

originalhypa 06-08-2018 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Money (Post 8906118)
Was confused to why someone like him would Off himself.

agreed.
This news was a shock this morning.

CivicBlues 06-08-2018 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by white rocket (Post 8906119)
Slight derail but as a neat coincidence, my user avatar is me in the back of a Hilux travelling through the jungles of Laos.

I took an 8 hour ride on a rickety bus so I could see the Plain of Jars, just because it was on his show!

iwantaskyline 06-08-2018 10:14 AM

I was watching his most recent HK episode during my morning commute when a friend messaged me about it...

Reading through reddit this comment made during his AMA in 2016 is just so sad.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/commen...25&st=JI5XGLAL

Quote:

When I first went on TV and I started going on book tours I was a guy who would literally drink anything. Fans would come up to me and offer me shots of tequila and I would actually drink them. I am still here and alive today because I don't do that anymore. If I took every offer of a shot or other substance that fans offer to me, I wouldn't have made it to 2008, much less to this year. So chances are, to be perfectly honest, you wouldn't see me at a bar. If you were to offer me a shot, I would probably politely decline. I know people offer those things with the best intentions but I'm a dad now. I'm the 60 year old dad of a 9 year old. I have to at least try to stay live long enough to get to the eye rolling stage of my daughter's life.

JDMDreams 06-08-2018 10:25 AM

So sad and I was actually wanting to watch a few episodes last night...... He inspired me to go travel and see the world,not everything is about the top rated Michelin Star restaurants but the street food is where it's at. And he doesn't look down upon these places.

originalhypa 06-08-2018 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwantaskyline (Post 8906133)
Spoiler!

Your avatar reminded me of the Archer episode that he was in. That was a hilarious episode, and made me appreciate his down to earth attitude through self deprecating humor.

https://i.gifer.com/4qEL.gif