REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 07-04-2018, 09:36 PM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,760 Times in 1,185 Posts
Extended insurance for frequent day trip to US?

So with Nexus and our newly discovered Korean food paradise (Lynnwood, WA), me and family are crossing more often.

Is there an extended travel insurance to US that doesn't break the bank? Most of the long term plans seem to target snowbirds or CDN who go to live in US for an extended period.

Travel insurance is too cumbersome as we often go for less than a day (sometimes a few hours).

I just want to avoid any surprises while down there... so if anyone knows any insurance that fits my need for the whole family/targeting Canadians who cross often? let me know.

THX!
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2018, 05:27 AM   #2
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,017 Times in 1,896 Posts
Have you checked your work's benefits, if applicable?

I find that a lot of them have some sort of travel insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2018, 05:40 AM   #3
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,045 Times in 1,923 Posts
Go to BCAA or Blue Cross, I used to be covered by Amex Travel. Visit website and you can get a quote instantaneously if you punch in a few details.

You buy a year and as long as trips are less than 10 days, you're covered for the whole year. Rates based on how many in your family. ~$100 IIRC
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2018, 07:42 AM   #4
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,789 Times in 1,179 Posts
Also, if you have a premium credit card (i.e. Visa Infinite, or Mastercard World/World Elite) you get out-of-country medical insurance as a benefit. You don't need to pay for the trip using the card; just being a cardholder is enough. A fee-free card with medical insurance as a perk would be the PC Financial World Elite Mastercard, for example.

See here: https://www.ratehub.ca/credit-cards/...ical-insurance
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2018, 07:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
So with Nexus and our newly discovered Korean food paradise (Lynnwood, WA), me and family are crossing more often.
Tell us more about this, better than North Road, Coquitlam? Worth the drive all the way down to Lynnwood? Why are Korean bros congregating in Lynnwood?
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2018, 07:59 AM   #6
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Is there an extended travel insurance to US that doesn't break the bank? Most of the long term plans seem to target snowbirds or CDN who go to live in US for an extended period.

Travel insurance is too cumbersome as we often go for less than a day (sometimes a few hours).

Your best value will come from buying an annual travel plan, and keeping the number of days per trip as low as possible. With BCAA, for instance, it's three days minimum. You can travel as much as you want, but each trip needs to be three days or less. If you know you're going to be going somewhere longer, you simply call and add a rider for the extra days.

I had my travel insurance with BCAA for years, but switched this year after they bumped my premiums by over 300% (even though I've never had a claim). I've now moved my business over to Nick at https://www.yourfinancialtree.ca/

My travel insurance is a little specialized though, as I'm at motorsport events when I travel.

-Dave
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2018, 03:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Tell us more about this, better than North Road, Coquitlam? Worth the drive all the way down to Lynnwood? Why are Korean bros congregating in Lynnwood?
I wouldn't say it's worth the trouble driving 1.5hr OW to there just for the food. But IMO the quality, variety (in food) and selection (restaurants) are miles ahead of North road.

The Coquitlam Korean food scene has been pretty much Candianized as in adapting the offering and flavor to be closer to the acceptance of general population in GVR while still satisfying Korean.

In Lynnwood though, they are actually authentic and offer menu items that I have never seen in GVR's Korean restaurants... say some exotic seafood items for BBQ or Korean's Chinese restaurant (as in Korean's interpretation of Chinese cuisines... I have seen some items here and there in GVR, but there they have an entire restaurant dedicated for that), all quite common in Korea but not here in GVR as the market can't sustain specialty restaurants like that I guess.

There's also Alderwood mall and (if you are a fan of Taiwanese bakeries) 85C˚ right next to it. Our usual trip goes: brunch in Bellingham, shopping in outlet+Alderwood (and/or vicinity), whole bunch of buns at 85C˚, H-Mart/Costco (the H-Mart is about 1.5x in size to the one on North road and 2x in selections) and finishing up with dinner somewhere there.

Price is cheaper too I feel. My whole family can have a feast with enough leftover for whole day next day for $80USD (tip/tax in)... I wouldn't say the same if I spent $100CAD here on North Rd.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:31 PM   #8

^ nice ... all restaurants play good K-Pop music videos?

I recall going to one last time I was in the area and it was good! It was in some strip mall.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:56 PM   #9
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCA-Dave View Post
Your best value will come from buying an annual travel plan, and keeping the number of days per trip as low as possible.
This. I'm using TD's annual travel insurance. Prices are pretty reasonable (I think it was around $80-$90 for a single person). I did a quick estimator for a family, and they're charging $121.50 for a family for an annual plan with each trip being no longer than 9 days. This is with a TD USD account discount though. Quite inexpensive for a bit of peace of mind.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:05 AM   #10
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,163 Posts
Damn that sounds pretty convincing already.

Any recommendations for which Korean restaurants to check out in Lynnwood?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:16 AM   #11
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,315 Times in 2,518 Posts
Pics of the hot Korean chicks there or it didn't happen.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2018, 06:02 PM   #12

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_des...ed+States&ns=1

I shit you not... but really just pick anything with 20+ reviews and follow the ranking (of course check the menu to see if there's anything interest you).

The number 1 for example (Sam Oh Jung) is feel-good home style korean food. I always go for one of the hotpots (the one with beef/octopus is great or the beef/mushroom one if octopus isn't your thing). They always give 6-8 banchans and are quite good. And the steam pork belly with cabbage/radish is must try IMO.

I liked the BBQ and fried chicken from Todamgol if K-fried chicken is your thing.

Sahm Gook Jih Palace is the K-Chinese food I was talking about... it's a hole in the wall kinda place. But nothing not to like. Great flavour, great portion and good price.

They are all fairly close by... but if you are in a hurry, you can always just hit H-Mart and the food court isn't bad either. I got a korean style tonkatsu because my kid wanted the other day and GOD it was huge. All this for U$10... actually bothered to take a picture because I was genuinely surprised of how big was that thing

Old 07-09-2018, 07:22 PM   #13

^ That's not pic of hot Korean chic.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:43 AM   #14
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I use BCAA travel insurance. around $200? for annual, unlimited trips but restricted to 30days out of country per trip.

IMO Federal way has better korean food but it's farther down. However lynnwood has chick-fil-a :O
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:45 PM   #15
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Hard to give you an accurate $number and base on other member's pricings above without knowing your exact age.

With Manulife's Travel Insurance, I just did a quick quote for a 1990 person. Annual plan, max 4 days duration each trip.

$181.45 for All-Inclusive ($10mil emergency, trip cancellation & interruption, baggage loss & damage & delay, flight and travel accidents)
$43.70 for just $10mil Emergency Medical.

It's cheaper when you insure more than one travel companion too. Or say you want to add a deductible. For example a $500 USD deductible brings it down to just $36.80 for the $10 mil emergency medical annual plan. But not really worth the few bucks savings imo. Feel free to PM me if you want a quote for your exact age(s).
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote