REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:56 PM   #26
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3german View Post
I agree with HondaRacer, truck had its blinkers on as soon as he passed the intersection. The cyclist had a very good chunk of time to see his blinkers and react accordingly. Even beyond blinkers, as soon as the front wheels turned the cyclist could have reacted better.

I am sick of this cyclist babying bullshit. Want a start in improving safety for cyclist? Why not start by having mandatory bike licenses that restrict road access for cyclists until they are tested to understand the rules of the road? Every other mode of transport had this...
blinkers don't mean shit...wait your turn if the other party does not excercise road courtesy

lol can't beat them join them
Advertisement
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:44 PM   #27
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Truck driver was wrong.

Cyclist must remain a cyclist because with instincts like that I don't want them behind the wheel of anything that weighs more than 30lbs.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:04 PM   #28
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Both were wrong
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:25 PM   #29
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Just because bikes move slow...........
Reminded me of what I saw yesterday. I'm on Halifax Street heading east. I'm going up the hill from Holdom. A block or two away, I see this cyclist screaming down the hill. I've never seen a car, let alone a bike, go down that hill that fast. Get this............ he had one of those child trailers in tow. I'm guessing/hoping a child is not in it, but what if his brakes fail or a child runs out from between parked cars?
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2018, 03:01 PM   #30
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Truck is 100% at fault, yeah he should be more aware...

My post is harsh against cyclists I fully admit. I am not debating on fault or not. I am saying their own lives are at stake and they can acquire better knowledge and street sense to better their chances on surviving in situations where they are 100% not at fault. A lot of motorcyclists are taught very early on to ride as if nobody sees you. This is not something natural to do, we learn this early on because people take it seriously.

It really is the few who give a bad name to all. Cyclists running through lights, stop signs, one moment being on the road and when convenient going on the sidewalk, its a complete lack of respect for the road and rules, then demand that everyone else needs to look out for them...

Motorcyclists have similar, like bad riding position, general unsafe riding practices, filtering, etc... But in my limited experience, either the whole specific riding group is bad and I distance myself away, or the motorcycle group essentially shuns the person from entering their group if they prove to be a dangerous/not mindful rider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
If that bike lane were a vehicle lane instead, and that truck did the same thing and drove over the hood of a car would there be "no sympathy" for the car driver because they "should have known better and stopped for the truck"?
Yes, in most cases where the car gets smoked by a right turning truck I would have no sympathy for the car driver. The situation must happen so often because of drivers lack of situational awareness that so many trucks have this sticker on the back.

Found this pretty interesting to on the topic. https://www.smart-trucking.com/big-r...accidents.html The argument stated in the article when it comes to bringing these charges to court when trucker is determined "at-fault" on the scene is:
Quote:
I (trucker) had done my ‘due diligence’. I was signalling and moving through the turn slowly. I had done my best to block the lanes with the trailer so I was able to complete my turn safely.

The car was in such a hurry to make the corner. She literally tried to beat me around the corner, because she didn’t want to wait for me to turn the corner. I had done nothing wrong.
In the above, the trucker's charges were dropped as the judge determined he had done his due diligence.

Slightly different since the cyclists is obviously in a bike lane, but similar principle could be applied if cyclists were taught at a fundamental level. Like shoulder checking in cars is taught at a fundamental level, cyclists could have "approaching any driveway ensure you slow down and shoulder check for any vehicles who may be turning right". Again, at fault or not, I am just arguing for better cycling education/actual licensing to better protect their own well-being.

Last edited by z3german; 07-14-2018 at 03:20 PM.
z3german is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2018, 09:13 PM   #31
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
So if you get into an accident with a cyclist, what do you do? What if it's their fault but they claim they don't have any ID on them since it's not required by law for them to have any to ride.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:24 PM   #32
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
So if you get into an accident with a cyclist, what do you do? What if it's their fault but they claim they don't have any ID on them since it's not required by law for them to have any to ride.
Yeah its pretty bullshit. The way it is set up is that you would have to sue the person through small claims or possibly even criminally. Its a huge pain in the ass and I bet 99%+ just say fuck it and dont bother.

I have always felt ICBC or government should step in and require licenses for cyclists. Even for kids, it could be a fun experience for them and give them an early experience with obtaining a license before they take their car license. Never gonna happen... just a dream ...
z3german is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-15-2018, 08:03 PM   #33
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3german View Post
I have always felt ICBC or government should step in and require licenses for cyclists. Even for kids, it could be a fun experience for them and give them an early experience with obtaining a license before they take their car license. Never gonna happen... just a dream ...
What I do think is that the Province should require license for those idiots with e-bikes/scooters who insist on riding on the road. If you want to ride on the road with a motorized vehicle then you should get a frickin license.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote