REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Toyota / Lexus Tech Resources

Toyota / Lexus Tech Resources All Toyota & Lexus Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 08-01-2018, 02:47 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Engine died. Seeking advice.

Wife's 2009 Rav4 just died. Engine went kaput and a used engine with 100k + labor + taxes will likely come out to $4k.

I checked the black book value of the car and it's around $5700 - $8000. Any recommendations on what I should do?

I'm not looking for tech advice. More like financial alternatives. There's body damage on the exterior, so we're likely fetching the lower end of the black book price. Is it worth sinking 4k into it?

If I choose not to fix it, what value can I get out of it (ie. trade in, cash for clunker etc.)? Zero?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:34 PM   #2

Thanked 1,271 Times in 525 Posts
The value wouldn't be zero. Tow trucks will pay you to tow it away for scrap metal value... $200?
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-02-2018, 03:21 AM   #3
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,038 Times in 4,523 Posts
Have you had an opportunity to have the engine diagnosed, or get a second opinion on the engine swap? $4K for an engine swap is a bit atrocious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
The other option is to find a hot young girlfriend so you're suddenly motivated to get into shape.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-02-2018, 03:54 AM   #4

We had it towed to a dealership and that was the diagnosis - engine siezed. No second opinion.

The used engine from what my wife said costs around 2500. So I guess 1000+ for labor (at staff rate). Not sure what the market price is for an engine swap, but wife knows the service department pretty well, so I'd assume they'll quote her a reasonable price.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the swap. It's our second car, so not really a necessity since we don't use it on a daily basis (I prefer transit and wife has a company car). I use it maybe once a week. It's more of a car we provide the inlaws to haul the kids around, and they're not the most careful drivers out there. So it makes little sense to buy new and see it abused. If given a choice, we'd prefer a (used) larger SUV or van so we can use it for road trips. So we'll likely fix it up and trade it in when the right one comes around.

Does the engine swap depreciate the car even more?
Old 08-02-2018, 05:39 AM   #5
RS Veteran

Ah, okay. So that puts things into perspective. It doesn't sound that bad, especially when it is dealer shop rates.

You would want to ask the dealership where the engine is from, whether it is a used motor pulled out of a wrecked car, or one that was just sitting around the shop from a previous customer's vehicle. I would take it a step further to inquire more about what caused the engine to seize, and what parts are damaged. You could even get the engine rebuilt for $2500 depending on what is actually broken. Dealerships tend not to take on engine rebuilds, but this is typically on a per-case basis.

Regarding the engine swap depreciating the car even more, this really depends. If the engine has lower mileage than the original one, and has a properly documented history to prove the engine swap, then some people out there may overlook it, while others may run away from it, thinking it is a lemon. Being that it's a Toyota, most people would run away simply because of the demographic; these are typically non-car people. It would take a unique individual to see real value out of that, maybe someone like fliptuner.

I think you and your wife need to have a serious discussion on what you want to do with the car. You'll both need to come to an agreement on whether you guys want to keep it for a while, or if you want to get something else in the near future and weigh the pros and cons. Only you can answer this question because we don't know your personal circumstances and any other variables in life that can make or break our day. If this is a weekend car, and it's something you use to haul your kids around in, and you don't care about having the next newest car and the latest gadgets, perhaps worth considering to keep for a while and suck up the costs.

Rare to hear about a Toyota engine seizing. But that could be any car/make/model. I grew up on Toyota and still own one today. Saddens me to read about problems like this.
Quote:
The other option is to find a hot young girlfriend so you're suddenly motivated to get into shape.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-02-2018, 09:25 AM   #6
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,095 Times in 1,272 Posts
sell it to flip

he'll bless it

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-02-2018, 11:58 AM   #7
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,597 Times in 4,323 Posts

#flipapart

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:07 PM   #8
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
3S-GTE engine swap.
https://rav4gtt.wordpress.com/2013/0...ine-swap-tips/

Think about the look on your inlaws face when they drive it and the turbo spools at 12 mph.

originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-02-2018, 01:00 PM   #9
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,136 Times in 3,972 Posts
^ that's for the wrong gen Rav. If you want more power out of an I4 3rd gen you'd just V6 swap it.

I'd think about what you could get that would fit your needs for the equivalent amount of money. If the Rav is a good fit, I'd fix it since you know a bit of the history and won't have to pay 12% tax on the replacement vehicle. If you don't need to use the car for a bit you could toss it up on CL for a few grand and see what happens. Since you figure yours is worth the lower end of the scale then 5700-4000=1700 is effectively what it's worth to you as-is, so list it for 2500-3000 and see what happens.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-02-2018, 04:47 PM   #10
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Just curious, as we have a 2009 Toyota (although not a Rav4) as well. What engine, how many miles and what caused it to seize?
Old 08-02-2018, 07:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed2K View Post
Just curious, as we have a 2009 Toyota (although not a Rav4) as well. What engine, how many miles and what caused it to seize?
Not much details on what caused it to seize. But it's the 4-cylinder engine. Had about 180k+ on it.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:28 PM   #12
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,842 Times in 3,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
^Since you figure yours is worth the lower end of the scale then 5700-4000=1700 is effectively what it's worth to you as-is, so list it for 2500-3000 and see what happens.
it's an ubiquitous econobox that doesn't run
if you can get more than $600-800 for it you should be more than happy
i'd cut my losses...even if you bought brand new it worked out to be a few thousand in car costs annually after 10 years and carried your family around for almost 200k

Last edited by twitchyzero; 08-02-2018 at 11:36 PM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:56 AM   #13
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,543 Times in 1,185 Posts
There's the option of scrapping it and combine it with the electric car rebate for a total of 11 grand to use against a Nissan Leaf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-03-2018, 02:57 PM   #14
RS Veteran

I think you can sell it for a few thousand as-is and fully disclose that the engine seized as opposed to scrapping it. That would be the absolute last option to take.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2018, 10:40 AM   #15
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
sell it to flip

he'll bless it
Sell it to frip for 2.5k

hell sell it back at 6k'

3 weeks tops!
About kkthind: [22-12, 22:55] ts14 hes so white that if he was a cop, he would beat ts14 for beinng surrey
kross9 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2018, 11:55 AM   #16
うに

Thanked 1,008 Times in 402 Posts
take the black book value of it, subtract the cost of replacing the engine, then post it for that price on Craigslist.

Someone will buy it and do the work themselves

car is worth $8000 black book.
subtract $4000 (cost of repair)
list for $4000 on craigslist
let it go for anything over $2700
PK-EK is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-05-2018, 07:47 AM   #17
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
the other option is to put it up for sale as a mechanics car. some mechanic will probably buy it, do the engine swap themselves to save labour, and put it back up for sale.

it is, your 2nd vehicle, so this might be an option as its not the best financial, but lease headache.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-05-2018, 12:31 PM   #18
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,136 Times in 3,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
it's an ubiquitous econobox that doesn't run
if you can get more than $600-800 for it you should be more than happy
i'd cut my losses...
That's my point, if repairs cost $4k and it's worth $5700 running then unless they're getting more than $1700 for it they're better off fixing it and then selling it.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:36 PM   #19
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,597 Times in 4,323 Posts
Don't forget, that price is just for a used engine. You'll spend more after belts, fluids, gaskets, AC recharge, etc.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:26 PM   #20
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

aren't these engine a dime a dozen, probably can get one for 500 bucks. u don't need a toyota dealer to do this, go to any other shop. probably 2k tops.
'02 Suzuki GSXR 750

Order the New 2020 Civic Type R, pm me

Driftspecs Apparel
www.driftspecsapparel.com
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2018, 06:10 PM   #21
RS Veteran

I, too, agree that these engines are a dime a dozen, but I believe the OP is looking to see what options he has simply from a financial perspective considering his circumstances. I would pony up to get the work done at an independent mechanic, as opposed to having it done by Toyota.
Quote:
Old 08-12-2018, 08:11 AM   #22
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Rare to hear about a Toyota engine seizing. But that could be any car/make/model. I grew up on Toyota and still own one today. Saddens me to read about problems like this.
How often did OP maintain this car (assuming never, since it was "hardly driven")? Regardless of the make, an oil change is the least costly maintenance you can do.

If OP can't/isn't willing to do such minor maintenance, maybe it's time to only have one car and rent/borrow the second one when needed.
StanleyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:16 PM   #23

^ We did regular maintenance on the car. Staff rates aren't bad in terms of cost either.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:48 PM   #24
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Yea 4 grand sound a bit steep. Always shop around
DavidNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:22 AM   #25

Call it the wife appeasement premium.

It's really her car. So whatever gives her less stress and ease of mind. I just took in most of the advice here to provide her with options. So thanks for all your input.

Should get the car back this week.