REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Stolen Horizon Air (https://www.revscene.net/forums/715196-stolen-horizon-air.html)

hud 91gt 08-11-2018 07:36 AM

Stolen Horizon Air

Seriously? Nothing on this yet?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/seattle...-live-updates/

The ATC clippets are the craziest.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/08/11/bizar...ntrol-7826113/

https://ca.video.search.yahoo.com/vi...fr=iphone&tt=b

tiger_handheld 08-11-2018 08:03 AM

He just wanted to be a bird and be free for a minute and forget the stresses in life.

fliptuner 08-11-2018 08:49 AM

He thought he was RKelly til he realized he couldn't land.

68style 08-11-2018 09:08 AM

Almost got a admire it in a strange sort of way... when he said he was going to try a barrel roll and if it works, probably nose down and goodnight... I mean what a way to go, seemed to know enough to do it far away from anyone. He’s obviously way too young to die and had serious mental complications but no ones ever gonna forget him, and not in the school shooting kind of way.

yray 08-11-2018 09:11 AM

barrel roll ok

loop de loop nogo

they didnt make a good enough addon for the q400 for p3d/xplane

Hondaracer 08-11-2018 10:51 AM

Nbd, no 9/11 doe

whitev70r 08-11-2018 01:40 PM

Guy auditioning for Abby air show?

Yah as others said, good thing it was just him going for a joy ride and no other passengers.

Mr.Money 08-11-2018 04:31 PM

i never watched the news lately...

Hmmm...are they trying to they're best not to glorify him for copy cats?....if it's not a rifle,its something else.

mk1freak 08-11-2018 04:58 PM

#microsoftflightsimulatortrained

aside from the jokes though, mental illness needs to be taken seriously especially in the US which seems to not put enough funding into the services available there unless you can pay for it.

It's fortunate that no innocents were hurt in this.

twitchyzero 08-11-2018 06:37 PM

PiuYi 08-12-2018 02:58 PM

surprised this doesn't happen more often, with all the people at the airport who have security access to the planes, anyone of them can download an operating manual online

underscore 08-13-2018 02:26 PM

^ if someone really wants access to a plane, either a commercial one or a private one, I don't think it would be very difficult. Going through the terminal as a passenger has lots of security, but with all the maintenance personnel and charter flights and stuff I imagine it would be easy to wander out there.

Hehe 08-13-2018 03:29 PM

Sonic booms reports came out from Eatonville, which is not far from PDX where the fighter jets took off.

I guess USAF really didn't want to chance anything. Full afterburner (F15s aren't capable of supercruising, well not in normal config at least and only possible with full throttle to go supersonic in such short distance) with supersonic authorized in US airspace. That's quite rare at low altitudes.

/aviation_geek mode

yray 08-13-2018 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hehe (Post 8914800)
Sonic booms reports came out from Eatonville, which is not far from PDX where the fighter jets took off.

I guess USAF really didn't want to chance anything. Full afterburner (F15s aren't capable of supercruising, well not in normal config at least and only possible with full throttle to go supersonic in such short distance) with supersonic authorized in US airspace. That's quite rare at low altitudes.

/aviation_geek mode

they are meant to intercept for ADIZ, pretty sure they can go full out.

Plus, its only 112nm distance, thats like 4mins :lol

GabAlmighty 08-13-2018 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hehe (Post 8914800)

/aviation_geek mode

The rules are just guidelines...

Hehe 08-13-2018 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yray (Post 8914814)
they are meant to intercept for ADIZ, pretty sure they can go full out.

Plus, its only 112nm distance, thats like 4mins :lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabAlmighty (Post 8914815)
The rules are just guidelines...

Yeah... it's just rare to see FAA actually ok'd the supersonic in the lower altitude (low enough for sonic booms to be heard loud and clear). I know USAF has superiority/clearance in case of emergency, but it's something that very rarely ever ok'd given the possible severe consequence that might ensue by going supersonic in a habituated area and low altitude.

So, it was kinda exciting to hear that happening.

But really... what a tragedy.

westopher 08-13-2018 09:36 PM

My grandpa was an ATC for 40 years. He loved his job. He said the bad days at work were the worst days of his entire life though. What a crazy situation this was.
People shoot up schools, bomb marathons, this guy just wanted to fly around before it was all over.
He went out with a fuckin bang, and he didn't hurt anyone. I sympathize with him.

dvst8 08-13-2018 10:02 PM

^ I'd have to agree.

hud 91gt 08-14-2018 10:40 AM

His voice and attitude scream of anti depressants. He obviously was in a pretty sad state. Your right though, what a way to go. Has there been confirmation he was an actual AME? I find it hard to believe an AME couldn’t figure out the pressurization.

yray 08-14-2018 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hud 91gt (Post 8914917)
His voice and attitude scream of anti depressants. He obviously was in a pretty sad state. Your right though, what a way to go. Has there been confirmation he was an actual AME? I find it hard to believe an AME couldn’t figure out the pressurization.

Well if he forgot to turn off isolation for engine start he wouldn't be getting much airflow in cabin. Doubt he flew high enough to require pressurization.

Ford_Fanatic 08-14-2018 11:24 AM

Going supersonic at low altitude, you say?

hud 91gt 08-14-2018 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yray (Post 8914919)
Well if he forgot to turn off isolation for engine start he wouldn't be getting much airflow in cabin. Doubt he flew high enough to require pressurization.

Pretty basic stuff. Every airliner has pretty lines to follow the system flow so pilots don’t get confused anyhow. AMEs are a little more knowledgeable on the systems lol. Pretty simple stuff.

Looks like it was a ground handler.

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrXg...N7rB5zHIum0U0-

That loops is pretty unreal. An experienced aerobatics pilot would find it challenging to roll out that close to the ground. Pretty lucky. Will be interesting to see what kind of G’s he pulled in those maneuvers too.

Bouncing Bettys 08-14-2018 02:22 PM

^It reminds me of one of the arguments the Truthers used to make to argue against the official story of 9/11:
- There is no way such inexperienced pilots could perform the maneuvers they did, therefore military
- That commercial aircraft were not capable of flying that way and it must be missiles.

There are countless examples, myself included in there, of people flying aircraft with little or no training. He demonstrated with the addition of video games and flight simulators, one can perform complex maneuvers as well. A commercial aircraft is intended to be flown in a manner to keep passengers comfortable. If you have little regard for your own life, or in the case of the hijackers, the lives of passengers and people on the ground, you can push an aircraft to its limits.

His death was similar to one of my favourite death scenes in film/tv: The tv movie remake of On The Beach, when there is no hope left for those in Australia, the last refuse as the nuclear fallout from a global exchange makes it way south. The scientist decides to go out with a bang by taking his Ferrari 355 to a race track to enjoy it one last time, all the while eyeballing a hairy corner. Finally he decides no more holding back and takes that corner as fast as he can with a smile on his face and crashes.

GabAlmighty 08-14-2018 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hehe (Post 8914838)
Yeah... it's just rare to see FAA actually ok'd the supersonic in the lower altitude (low enough for sonic booms to be heard loud and clear). I know USAF has superiority/clearance in case of emergency, but it's something that very rarely ever ok'd given the possible severe consequence that might ensue by going supersonic in a habituated area and low altitude.

So, it was kinda exciting to hear that happening.

But really... what a tragedy.

Personally, if I was flying the jet and all I knew was that some guy's just stolen a regional airliner and to intercept with possibility of neutralizing target... You think about your duty to your country, do what needs to be done and get there.

Ask for forgiveness instead of permission in this instance; my opinion.

Would you rather get in trouble for blowing out some ear drums and windows, or being a few seconds too late before he augured that thing into a building.

Hindsight's 20/20 but always fun to speculate.

Hondaracer 08-14-2018 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westopher (Post 8914852)
My grandpa was an ATC for 40 years. He loved his job. He said the bad days at work were the worst days of his entire life though. What a crazy situation this was.
People shoot up schools, bomb marathons, this guy just wanted to fly around before it was all over.
He went out with a fuckin bang, and he didn't hurt anyone. I sympathize with him.

What would constitute a bad day as an ATC? Would think most would never be present for a crash etc