REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   God (https://www.revscene.net/forums/715201-god.html)

welfare 08-12-2018 02:01 PM

God

Interested to know how many here are religious. If so, which denomination? And why?
Or if you're an atheist, why?
Agnostic? Same question.

Let's discuss. Civilly, please

Mr.Money 08-12-2018 02:13 PM

no believe at all.....but,my mother met Long Island Medium,Theresa Caputo and she knew shit nobody knew about at all.

Where does that come from???.

68style 08-12-2018 02:14 PM

Atheist because I don’t buy into the idea that there was any one creator or that someone is judging our actions or deciding where anyone goes after they die or... well... anything else that isn’t rooted in some form of scientific quantifiable evidence.

That said, I’m not entirely convinced that we aren’t an experiment inside some sort of box because of the whole incapability of our brains to comprehend our own existence... ie: we are inside our homes inside BC inside Canada inside North America inside Earth inside our solar system inside the universe... but what’s the universe inside of? Our world is established on limitations and spatial recognition but it’s inside something limitless and infinite in space and/or time?

bigzz786786 08-12-2018 02:20 PM

Im Shia Ismaili by birth, and agnostic atheist by choice. Personally i find it hard to believe the words of a book written by some dude nearly 1500 years ago when every word was overly exaggerated and every "sign" was misrepresented and the fact the people believe that whole heartedly. As for a higher being, i don't see any fact or proof one/many exists, and the only people that do know the answers are the dead.

Presto 08-12-2018 04:28 PM

:inoutugh:

Energy 08-12-2018 04:37 PM

Raised as a Catholic but now I'm an atheist.

hud 91gt 08-12-2018 04:43 PM

Was just baptized Greek Orthodox today, cause I wouldn’t be getting married next month if I hadn’t :p

Excelsis 08-12-2018 04:50 PM

Do some Dmt and you'll find the answer is within your self. Or don't do dmt, it's still there.

ImportPsycho 08-12-2018 04:58 PM

Agnostic/atheist whatever, simply do not care.
No particular reasons why.
Grew up under parents who were just too busy working to care about religion. It was never part of my life.
One does not need religion to live perfectly fine and happy life.

I do go to church every sunday though...., cuz my wife.
But im mostly looking at my phone and pretend i have bible on my phone.

SkinnyPupp 08-12-2018 05:07 PM

I'll disagree with anyone who insists humans have everything figured out, including the creation of the universe. We have some theories, some stories, and can continue researching to figure shit out. We've probably learned 99% of all our knowledge of the universe in the past 30 years of our thousands of years of existence, but we're about 0.00001% into what will be our eventual understanding of how things work.

On top of that, I think a paradigm shift in the way we think will be required to really understand how things work. If that ever happens before self destruction (there's evidence that humans have gotten pretty advanced in the past, and have completely wiped out to start all over again)

So yeah, totally agnostic. I do acknowledge the possibility of us being created by something else on purpose. I think it's highly unlikely, but possible. We are just so ignorant.

Anything else is just a story told to help our pea brains make sense of why things happen. The rest is to control groups of people. Not to be totally negative - often morals are taught. The value of these morals vary in quality (and a lot of time the strict control ends up breaking people and turning them into depraved perverts), but for the most part (don't murder) they're good.

Tone Loc 08-12-2018 05:24 PM

Raised in a Catholic home. Now I am Agnostic.

Was exposed to the negative aspects of religion early in life. Namely, the judgemental attitude of some of my family members, the self-righteousness of those within the church, and a lot of the hypocrisy practised by those who were only God-fearing on Sundays. As I grew up, I looked at other religions such as Islam and Judaism, only to be disappointed at witnessing the same values (or lack thereof) being practised by those who claimed to be religious and "loving others" when, in reality, doing anything but.

Growing up, I always saw "love your neighbor as yourself" (Matthew 32: 39) and "do not judge, for in the same way you judge others, you will be judged" (Matthew 7:1-5) as the two most important verses in the Bible. I always believed (and still do) that abiding by those principles is the best way to be a good person. Unfortunately, my experiences with the vast majority of devoutly religious people showed me that these seem to be the two verses that get ignored most.

Now, I still believe in God - or at least the idea there IS a God, a higher being who created us and is ultimately altruistic. I pray when I can, and I try to be a good, ethical person and think about "the big picture" when making decisions. I just don't see the Church, or any church for that matter, as the source of my connection with Him (or Her, or any other higher being)....

!LittleDragon 08-12-2018 05:35 PM

Agnostic at best... Open minded but show me the proof... if I'm wrong and I'm being judged at the pearly gates, judge me for what I've done and not how much faith I have.

yray 08-12-2018 06:15 PM

chick says

"I have to thank god for not flipping off the guy"
"Thank yourself and your own will power"
"nah, it's god"

cool, I guess god got you in this shitty situation too

BIC_BAWS 08-12-2018 06:20 PM

Was raised Christian, if you knew me irl, you'd be shocked. Went to Bible Study Competition, AWANA, Sunday School, the whole works.

Now: Atheist.

I believe that either there is a God and people don't actually get punished. Or there is no God and people just use the disguise of a God to feel better about themselves.

I know way too many religious nutjobs who believe they're all righteous, but act like complete assholes, scammers, or just outright evil.

Example: This lady that basically raised me, praises the lord, her organization revolves around hiring people that are god-loving, but she loves to find ways not to pay people because she believes people don't know any better.

Example 2: When I was a kid, we were a pretty poor family, living off the food bank and such. We scraped by and still went to church. We had some supportive friends in private, but in a large social setting they did nothing to intervene. Ended up leaving that church and never went back to faith because well, how can people call themselves Christian, but have such lack of humanity.

Bullying/Outcasting people because of social status or class status does not scream "Christian" to me.

That said, I don't really care if those around me are religious. Just don't force me into it.

Also, those Jehovah Witnesses made some bomb af grilled cheese sandwiches

Mr.HappySilp 08-12-2018 06:27 PM

No believe here but then i don't/really though about things like that. Went to church when i was in high school but that's about it.

Not saying they don't exists but I just don't care that much about it.

Hondaracer 08-12-2018 06:48 PM

Even then most intelligent people cannot be convinced there is a definitive answer. I like Skinny’s reply there it will be a massive shift to discover the true reality.

I am as atheist as they come. My family growing up never once went to church. My grandparents on my fathers side came from Finland and were lutheran however I never once recall my grandparents mentioning any sort of religious talk. One of the first times I went to a church for an actual service of any sort and stepping inside without the purpose of travel was my grandpas funeral in 2011

I have a great interest in religion and will occasionally fall into a worm hole of research and education. It’s very interesting at the least.

I always kind of laugh because my dad is excellent at trivia and retains things like crazy so he watched “The bible” by Mel Gibson (I think that’s what it’s called) and then did some research on his own and now he could probably outwit die hard Christians on their own religion.

Aren’t all religions worldwide besides Islam seeing massive enrollment drops?

Imo the creation and widespread use of the Internet was arguably a greater creation to mankind than the electricity which powers it. Edison creates the lightbulb,a single person has that knowledge. It lives in the Internet, everyone has it

bcrdukes 08-12-2018 06:53 PM

The only thing remotely related to God I believe in is the BMW E30 M3.

tiger_handheld 08-12-2018 06:57 PM

john 3:16

JDMDreams 08-12-2018 08:07 PM

I'm just waiting for cloned dinosaurs like jurassic park

RRxtar 08-12-2018 08:11 PM

Grew up in a very Catholic house. Went (forced) to church until about grade 8. Went (forced) to catachism (sunday school on a weeknight), had first communion, and even was an alter server for a couple of years (no rape in my church).

Now: Definitely not religious. Definitely dont believe in God as in the idea of a singular being that created everything, and is looking down and judging.

HOWEVER, I do believe there is some kind of an energy that is connected to everything. Energy isn't the right word, I believe we arent woke enough to have come up with a name for it, let alone even have an understanding that it might be out there. I also strongly believe that our individual energies can be manipulated by our environments. For example, when you're stuck in the fast paced hustle and bustle of city life and distractions and chaos, most of us get pretty edgy and quick to negativity. If anyone has the opportunity to spend multiple days in the wilderness, and I don't mean at the closest provincial park boozing with your buddies, I mean, in a tent, in the back country, it doesn't take more than a couple of days for your soul to slow down and calm down and recharge.

As much as I think religion has lost its place in modern developed world, and that it was used in a negative way (countless wars) throughout history, I ultimately think it had a positive effect on people. It brought communities together, and made people feel like if they lived a good life, they would be rewarded, and if they lived a bad life, they would be punished. If you can take yourself out of a generalizing view of history and look at what it may have done for individual people in small communities, I think it was a huge positive.

Euro7r 08-12-2018 08:23 PM

Say you guys have an interview coming up or a big final exam test. "I hope I pass or do well, I pray I get the job", something along those lines. So when you guys "hope" or so call say "I pray", who/what is it that you are hoping to or praying to? God?

320icar 08-12-2018 08:32 PM

http://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploa...edge-gif-7.gif

westopher 08-12-2018 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euro7r (Post 8914709)
Say you guys have an interview coming up or a big final exam test. "I hope I pass or do well, I pray I get the job", something along those lines. So when you guys "hope" or so call say "I pray", who/what is it that you are hoping to or praying to? God?

Hoping is defined as an expectation or desire for something to happen. Its essentially optimistic wanting. There needn't be something to hope to.
I'm atheist. A do believe though, that being consciousness is matter, and matter can not be created nor destroyed (or so we believe right now), that consciousness can live on throughout eternity in different forms.
I just find religion to be so often based on such arrogance as humans believing we are somehow exempt from the reality of every other species, or object in nature.
Like we are this divine being created by god, and god exists for our pleasure if we are good (as defined by so many fucked up rules, written by completely fucked up humans) boys and girls.

!LittleDragon 08-12-2018 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euro7r (Post 8914709)

Nobody, it's a figure of speech. I say "god damn it" a lot but I'm not literally asking god to damn whatever I'm referring to at the time. They're just phrases that worked their way into everyday speech and have lost all religious meaning.

danned 08-12-2018 09:37 PM

god is alien