REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-25-2018, 09:02 AM   #1
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Engine/fuel additives @12,000km

I need to take the car into 12k maintenance and some of these dealers are including a cabin filter change + engine/fuel additive. Seems excessive for a car that has 12,000kms - or is this required?

Gotta take it to a stealership because car is under warranty
Unless there is a way to go around this - do share this too.
Advertisement

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 09:12 AM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
engine/fuel additive is pretty standard with oil changes nowadays

cabin filter is such a easy DIY, just tell them you want to opt out because you changed it already

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 09:14 AM   #3

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,519 Posts
If you are under warranty, you can still go to indy's to get your car serviced. I experienced the same thing when I was responsible for my brand new civic. All you have to do is keep all the receipts of the service being performed.

What car is this?
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 09:25 AM   #4

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
12k is early as hell for a cabin filter change,it would still look relatively new i think esp if you're only city driving.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:34 AM   #5
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,698 Times in 3,128 Posts
Not with the the forest fire smog we had recently
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-25-2018, 12:39 PM   #6
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
If you are under warranty, you can still go to indy's to get your car serviced. I experienced the same thing when I was responsible for my brand new civic. All you have to do is keep all the receipts of the service being performed.

What car is this?
What is Indy's? Are they warranty approved?

For Kia Niro hybrid.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:31 PM   #7

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
A lot of the services the dealerships try to up sell are optional. Check your owners manual to see what the manufacturer's required services are at each interval.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-25-2018, 02:45 PM   #8
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
What is Indy's? Are they warranty approved?

For Kia Niro hybrid.
Independent mechanic.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:51 PM   #9

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,519 Posts
There are some independents who are warranty approved. I went to Joe's Unlimited Autos and Imports by River Rock for my Civic. You can call their direct line M-F to ask if they have experience with Kia's and if they're warranty approved.

If need be, you can mention me, to establish a good relationship. I think they refer to me as the Asian kid with the broken E46 LOL

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:56 PM   #10

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Afaik as long as the shop is completely certified/techs are certified, keep the receipts and you're good to go.

Made sure to quadruple check with everyone at the dealership prior to leasing my Lexus, cause they tend to be among the most anal when it comes to warranty if service is done "improperly".
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:12 PM   #11
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
Dealership changing your cabin filter is straight highway robbery.

Half an hour shop rate plus parts cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:34 PM   #12

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
At 12,000km - Only thing to really needs to be "changed" is engine oil and checking for regular wear and tear items. Just check with dealer to get "written" confirmation if you bring to independent certified approved shops for servicing that warranty is valid. Last thing you want is to get verbal confirmation and then later on they void your warranty, nothing written like an email. There is a reason they are called stealerships...they'll do anything to void warranty if they can.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:35 PM   #13
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I do not understand this statement. Dealership gets paid by warranty claim as well, and it's easier to get the money from manufacturer/warranty company than from retail customer's pocket. Why would dealership purposely want to void the warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
There is a reason they are called stealerships...they'll do anything to void warranty if they can.
Funnel is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2018, 01:49 PM   #14
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I change the cabin filter on my S2k yearly (about 5-6k per year) and it's already filthy! Could be because of the location of the filter though. Aftermarket paper filter is only about $20 and it's very easy to change.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:48 PM   #15

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnel View Post
I do not understand this statement. Dealership gets paid by warranty claim as well, and it's easier to get the money from manufacturer/warranty company than from retail customer's pocket. Why would dealership purposely want to void the warranty?
Dealerships want to void warranty because they want you to "pay" up for whatever the issue is with your car that needs attention. Hence, they will find reason to deny when they can.

Dealerships want billable work to earn $. Warranty work doesn't allow maximization of billable $ work as far as I am aware. Please correct me if I am wrong?
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:20 PM   #16
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
I would like to think of the fuel additives and such other "optional services" are revenue generators and pitched to the customers as "value add," and positioned in such a way to drive fear into voiding warranty etc.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:51 PM   #17
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
Dealerships want to void warranty because they want you to "pay" up for whatever the issue is with your car that needs attention. Hence, they will find reason to deny when they can.

Dealerships want billable work to earn $. Warranty work doesn't allow maximization of billable $ work as far as I am aware. Please correct me if I am wrong?
You must be going to some scummy dealers if that's the impression you get. It's the complete opposite of what you think from my experience. Only time you will be void is if vehicle is rebuilt or theres some very obvious fault from something you or another shop did the directly links to what you're trying to warranty.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:48 PM   #18
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,438 Times in 5,110 Posts
Fuel additive? I’ve probably logged over a million kilometres behind the wheel of hundreds of cars of all ages and mileages with zero engine breakdowns and I’ve never used a fuel additive. Snake oil.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:53 PM   #19
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
For what car?

Cabin Filter isn't required per se but it's a case by case basis. I've seen Cabin Filters vary in dirtiness with the same amount of mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:03 PM   #20

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I would like to think of the fuel additives and such other "optional services" are revenue generators and pitched to the customers as "value add," and positioned in such a way to drive fear into voiding warranty etc.
I know off the top of my head that MB dealerships include Liquimoly Ceratec as one of the additives during a specific scheduled maintenance interval, basically however long Ceratec lasts which is a damn long time.

If it's something along the lines of that, I'd be more than happy to have them add it in.

I actually put it into my Lexus a few days after I drove it home from the dealer at around 500kms on the odo. Supposed to do miracles when put in at a very early stage in terms of significantly reducing engine wear long term.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:07 PM   #21
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

If it's a Japanese car, the cabin air filter will be a very easy job without requirement of any tools. Such is the case for my 8th Gen Accord and RX-8.

If the vents don't feel like there is much air coming out, then you likely need new filters.

As for fuel additives, meh, I don't usually use it. The only "additive" I use is premix because rotary. I did add a bottle of injector cleaner once and it made no difference. Just my tinkeritis acting up.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote