REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:13 AM   #76
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,233 Times in 2,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1CED` View Post
her English was fine, don't be assholes picking apart someone's accent
if you have a problem with her shady past and her morals, that's a different story
I don't have a problem with her accent; I just have serious doubts about her communication capabilities.

A canned campaign ad is about as easy as it gets to get your speeches right. I get that some people can become ill at ease when they're in front of the camera, but if you are that type of person, you should not be running for a mayoral position.

Schwarzenegger speaks with the thickest accent anyone has ever heard, yet as the CA governor, he never sounded weak to me. By contrast, this Hong Guo does not convey any sense of confidence when she spoke in the video, and I am not even taking her already serious credibility issues (w/ BC Law Society) into account. When you want to be a leader, you have to sound confident and convincing. Those are part of a person's communication capabilities. She is none of that.

The so-called questions she raised are also full of BS, and is poorly delivered. Malcom Brodie's preferences against the proposed Massey replacement bridge is well publicized (he prefers tunnel twinning, among other reasons). Richmond City Hall is already one of the more efficient places to get construction permits out the door. She can disagree with the policies and directions that Brodie is taking, but she can't make fake / false shxt up. This inability to present logical arguments is also another aspect of communication capabilities.

When you can't communicate well, you cannot be a good politician. This has nothing to do with her accent, but it has everything to do with her (extremely poor) ability to communicate with the mainstream English-speaking constituency.
Advertisement
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2018, 01:43 PM   #77
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
^^ she should learn a ting or two from Trump. He doesn't even get his facts right yet he sounded so confident.

Or she could just say anything she does not like "You are FAKE NEWS!"
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:34 PM   #78
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,111 Times in 5,003 Posts
You know what's funny about the Richmond mayoral race? I constantly see people saying things like "Anyone but Brodie" or "I guess I gotta vote Brodie since everyone else sucks"... but I have yet to see 1 single person post up exactly what it was that Brodie has done wrong? Been there too long? Is that a crime? LOL

I am not a fan of Brodie one way or another, but it seems odd to me that this rhetoric exists without anyone giving a particular reason why he's so terrible. I mean, I've lived in Richmond my whole life, and while I think it's overdeveloped at this point and way too "China" for its own good in some ways... I can't dispute the fact that, in my lifetime, it has grown from an afterthought city laden in ditches and known for nothing but cranberry fields and Vancouver's airport into (opinion) the most modern looking city in the lower mainland if not one of the most profitable ones.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2018, 02:55 PM   #79

Never lived in Richmond, and as I've mentioned earlier, I do not consider myself a fan of Brodie. Used to always go down to Richmond for all sorts of stuff though.

My general dislike of Brodie started when he ripped up the entire No. 3 Road to rebuild it with the utterly useless bus lanes in the middle. Construction took forever, and even for a very long time after the road was built, the middle lane sat completely empty. Meanwhile, traffic for cars was jammed up along 3 Road.

Fast forward a few years when buses finally started flowing in that fancy middle lane. The Canada Line project came up, and Brodie proceeded to rip it all up again. Hello WTF?! Did Richmond not engage in any sort of long term planning when they first paved that 3 Road with the middle bus lanes? How much money was spent to pave that initial idiotic design, only to have it sit for a long time, get used a bit, and then it gets all ripped up again? Where is the planning and fiscal responsibility to this?

I can read Chinese, but I do not at all agree with the lack of city bylaws that continues to allow the blatant usage of Chinese-only signage. Brodie is too chicken shxt to piss off his Chinese constituency.

I think the civic planning -- or rather, lack of it -- along the prime No 3. Road stretch, and around the vicinity is absolutely horrendous. There is way too much density, and no nearly enough roads / public transit to move those residents around. Granted, various municipalities within Metro Vancouver are guilty of this, but few places has done it as poorly as Richmond has.

I disagree with Brodie's preference to twin the Massey tunnel. I think the seismic upgrades that would be required is equivalent to throwing money down the drain. You might as well use that money to build a new bridge instead.

There are probably other smaller issues that I do not agree with, but this rant is already long enough LOL~
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2018, 03:06 PM   #80

p.s. I will also give Brodie for maintaining a relatively efficient City Hall. This is 2nd hand information, but according to people I've talked to, they are far more logical, pragmatic, and efficient in terms of issuing permits and stuff. We all know how CoV is the poster child of excessive requirements and delays in that regard, and I have some first hand experience in dealing with CoV that really did not impress me.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2018, 03:21 PM   #81
Performance Moderator

I agree the #3 Rd middle lanes thing ended up being a complete debacle............. and their "success" as a solution to traffic is a matter of opinion I suppose (I think it was a failure)... but... nobody knew the Olympics was coming or that the Canada Line would exist when that project was planned and broke ground... so I have to give everyone a pass on the wasted money as they got ripped back out. That was just bad circumstances that could not have been foreseen.

I agree the other things you mentioned are issues... I'm just not sure of his actual culpability... and the vehemence of people online suggests that he's a crook of some sort. It's a bit odd... I mean, nobody is ever going to be in power that you agree with the whole time... I'd be surprised if anyone could maintain much more than a 50% threshold with their constituents in this regard... I feel like it's based in a lot of "He's been there so long I hate him just because he's on top!" thinking lol
This post thanked by:
Old 10-09-2018, 08:31 AM   #82
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts

LOL looks like they took down the banner and decided to keep it at her office.....
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-09-2018, 11:39 AM   #83
Performance Moderator

She’s probably going to say it’s racist cuz it’s a yellow face
Old 10-12-2018, 07:50 AM   #84

https://www.richmond-news.com/news/c...app-1.23461356

Suprise suprise. More shady tactics in Richmond election
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2018, 07:59 AM   #85
Performance Moderator

When did “Sorry we didn’t know and stopped right away” become an excuse for breaking the law? Oh I’m sorry I didn’t know I was allowed to take items from stores without paying, my bad!

Fuck these people.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:12 AM   #86
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,062 Times in 1,249 Posts
how did a laywer that misappropriated 400k got disbarred but this bitch that misappropriated couple mil did not

she might not have been involved but its her own damm firm

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:13 AM   #87
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
how did a laywer that misappropriated 400k got disbarred but this bitch that misappropriated couple mil did not

she might not have been involved but its her own damm firm
It hasn't gone to trial yet...
Old 10-12-2018, 08:41 AM   #88
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,062 Times in 1,249 Posts
https://www.lawsociety.bc.ca/lsbc/ap...155&t=Hong-Guo

If I was suspected but not convicted of a crime and went for a job that will required security clearance, do you think I would get the job.

This ain't icbc and a driver license suspension

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:08 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcedhk View Post
https://www.richmond-news.com/news/c...app-1.23461356

Suprise suprise. More shady tactics in Richmond election
The manner in which this is done is exactly the same as what happens in Hong Kong, where there is massive, coordinated efforts from the CCP to arrange for vote rigging. It is also similar to what has been happening in Australia where Mainland China-leaning candidates are propped up by pro-Beijing groups.

Again, I am more convinced than ever that this Hong Guo has close ties with and support of the CCP -- likely through their United Front branches.

New Zealand and Australia has already succumbed to this style of political infiltration. As a friend has pointed out, this won't be the last time China tries to sabotage our elections, nor will they only attempt to operate at the municipal level.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2018, 09:45 AM   #90
Performance Moderator

^ This is what I said to my sister last night, I’m also reading “Silent Invasion” after you mentioned it and everything happening here is mapped out in that book.

I also said to my sister it doesn’t matter if she loses this time. They will look at where they went wrong, get less of a moron than her to run next time and win that time instead. It’s all part of their hundred year plan and even if they take losses this election period they’ll be back stronger than ever the next one.

Canada needs to drop the whole idea that saying anything bad about anyone else of a different culture is being racist. Sometimes it’s just fucking true and not everyone in the world is looking to play patty cake with us. China can’t be our friend and a human rights violator at the same time, had enough of countries bending over for this shit and pretending nobody from outside could ever possibly mean any of us harm.

Check out this older article about Hong Guo from 2016: https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...vency-concerns

She said she didn't think she could cover the losses from the money that went "missing" from her law practice and would have to file bankruptcy... fast forward a year later and somehow she found $7.5 million dollars. I guess she just forgot she had $7.5 million stashed away somewhere huh? Couldn't possibly have come from the China government to do their bidding right?
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #91
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,507 Times in 1,689 Posts
Well said. Did the book you mention also speak about the whole fentanyl fiasco? Another theory that has been levied is that the Chinese government is allowing the production and import of fentanyl in order to destabilize Western democracies.

At first I thought it was a conspiracy theory when I read about it years ago, but as time goes on, it certainly seems like a consorted effort by China to create domestic problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
^ This is what I said to my sister last night, I’m also reading “Silent Invasion” after you mentioned it and everything happening here is mapped out in that book.

I also said to my sister it doesn’t matter if she loses this time. They will look at where they went wrong, get less of a moron than her to run next time and win that time instead. It’s all part of their hundred year plan and even if they take losses this election period they’ll be back stronger than ever the next one.

Canada needs to drop the whole idea that saying anything bad about anyone else of a different culture is being racist. Sometimes it’s just fucking true and not everyone in the world is looking to play patty cake with us. China can’t be our friend and a human rights violator at the same time, had enough of countries bending over for this shit and pretending nobody from outside could ever possibly mean any of us harm.

Check out this older article about Hong Guo from 2016: https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...vency-concerns

She said she didn't think she could cover the losses from the money that went "missing" from her law practice and would have to file bankruptcy... fast forward a year later and somehow she found $7.5 million dollars. I guess she just forgot she had $7.5 million stashed away somewhere huh? Couldn't possibly have come from the China government to do their bidding right?
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:33 AM   #92
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,239 Times in 5,600 Posts
Now all this shit about Kennedy Stewart in the back pocket of developers and union backers employing his election staff etc.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:11 PM   #93
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,506 Times in 3,051 Posts

saw another one .... keep finding these all over richmond ahhahaha

Last edited by Badhobz; 10-13-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-19-2018, 02:46 PM   #94

https://www.facebook.com/waiyoungvan...3815219823406/

Dafaq.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:06 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcedhk View Post
LOL~

Crappy lighting in video -- check
Crappy video quality -- check
cheesy attempt at humour -- check
even cheesier video & BGM of their "morning run" -- check

Are these guys for real? Cuz I can imagine a highschool video project having more polish and being more professional than this. The whole thing about this "fun" campaign video screams "amateurs" -- and "amateurs" is precisely the image that will get cast on the Wai Young and Coalition Vancouver team.

I do NOT want an amateur in the City Hall as my mayor.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-19-2018, 03:54 PM   #96

They will have supporters saying "they have a low budget". But even then, someone with an ounce of creative common sense will see this video and say "this is shit".

some things are best left unpublished. This video did more damage than good lol
Old 10-19-2018, 04:00 PM   #97

Well... not like Wai Young would have any chance at winning the mayor seat. The polls are suggesting that it'll likely be Kennedy Stewart taking the win, and I'm not sure how I'd feel about that.

But this brings back a quesiton that I have never been able to answer -- why do candidates, esp those without significant financial backing, bother running for office when they have next to no chance of winning? Campaigning is $$$$$$, exhausting, and extremely time consuming. Did many of the candidates really think they'd have a chance?
Old 10-20-2018, 03:18 PM   #98
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Well... not like Wai Young would have any chance at winning the mayor seat. The polls are suggesting that it'll likely be Kennedy Stewart taking the win, and I'm not sure how I'd feel about that.

But this brings back a quesiton that I have never been able to answer -- why do candidates, esp those without significant financial backing, bother running for office when they have next to no chance of winning? Campaigning is $$$$$$, exhausting, and extremely time consuming. Did many of the candidates really think they'd have a chance?
She did have the back pocket of China backing her up. Just she wasn't smart about how to use the funds that's all. Thinking of buying votes will help her lol.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:26 PM   #99
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Is there a site where I'd be able to find all the empty promises that each person has? I want to find a list of what each person wants in township of langley. There's the city website but it only gives a shitty bio of each person.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:42 PM   #100

Live results from the municipal election:

Live results: Here's who won the mayoral seats in the Lower Mainland | Daily Hive Vancouver

Interesting that we are seeing some changes. Quite relieved that Hong Guo did not win.

The Vancouver race is basically neck-in-neck still...