REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-29-2018, 04:45 PM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,518 Posts
PSA: VPD Handing Out VIs Like Candy

For those of you aren't on Facebook or in the group pages, in the last several weeks, the VPD has given out VIs like candy. In short, stay out of Downtown Vancouver and Vancouver in general.

Many of those who got VI'd including *redcated* (lifted and poke) Jeep, *redacted m4 (and 180sx i think), @jackp0t's lude and 1series (he was literally only taking pictures) have been pulled over by the exact same officer. While those examples are very modified cars, there were two VIs this morning on a slightly lowered (but looks stock) 1series and a collector-plate worthy e30. These are not very modified, yet, they still got harassed by police. (Note. I did not witness this first hand and all information here is public knowledge - was on their IG stories)

According to multiple sources, the officer told them the same exact story. Some kid (redacted) with a slammed, cambered, and loud silvia got VI'd and allegedly found the officer's personal social media, harassed him, and posted the information on a public forum, and invoked others to do the same. The alleged offender has spoken publicly about this and denied all accusations. Despite there being multiple screenshots across the internet confirming that this took place.

Obviously, play stupid games win stupid prizes. I don't blame the VPD for reacting this way, as one of their own was "attacked", but I also don't condone targeting enthusiasts (Confirmation is below). Honestly, this sucks for enthusiasts. I'm not talking about the kind that go out looking for trouble, I'm talking about people like us. We enjoy cars/driving and are now being punished for other people's stupidity.

Spoiler if you want to read about the positives in being a car person

Spoiler!

This post was made as a PSA and I've clearly gone off on a tangent. So to end this post, I'd love to hear your stories on how being a car person has contributed positively on your life.

Image of apparent confirmation by a VPD officer (in spoiler)
Spoiler!

Update

I've been in contact with individuals who want to take their experience to the media. We are trying to compile all first-hand incidents regarding the situation and people's experiences of being an automotive enthusiast. Our goal is to present the facts and also to present the potential positive impacts on the community that we have. We want the public to know that we're not gangbangers, we're just regular people united by a passion for automobiles. Whether it makes a difference or not, it's worth a try. Election season is coming up and city officials want the best PR as possible.

This is what you can do to help out:
  • If you have gotten a VI recently, post about your experience with the police officers. Were they polite/nice or assholes? Were they knowledgeable of the law (MVA)? What was the conversation about?
  • Post about your experience of being an automotive enthusiast. Having a passion for cars, has it changed your life for the better (or for the worse)? Is this a (relatively) safe community for teens?

Update 2

CTV News has reached out to me regarding this topic. Throughout these 37 pages, we are no longer looking at the above's alleged, but very inappropriate actions. However, since this issue first appeared, we have heard stories of other members' lightly modified vehicles or the public's stock vehicle getting a VI.

Below is a good summary of these 37 pages. This is what we're looking at now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj_39 View Post
I think there are a few ways this needs to be looked at if ctv is investigating and all involved should step up.

- this said officer/traffic team is acting out of spite
- vehicles that are completely stock are being stopped
- vehicles that are slightly modified but are within the MVA are being stopped(clear lack of knowledge/training)
- officer forcing an inspection at specific locations
- out of pocket cost to prove innocence with no way to dispute

At the moment, we are looking for someone with a stock or factory performance vehicle to come forward to the media with their story.

Update 3:

-insert cliffnotes of this thread here-

Also, if Duke were to address the alleged actions and provide an explanation as to why there is substantial evidence on the internet, I'd be happy to retract all my statements, as well as ensuring that no one else gets it mixed up.

Update 4:

Duke is not a concern and has spoken out regarding the allegations. Having said that, this is more of an issue than ever. And goes beyond the alleged actions of Duke. There are issues within the MVA that contradict the CVSE. One notable example is of visible camber. All cars come with visible camber from factory, this is because car mfgs know that camber to a certain degree improves safety and performance. Yet, the VPD are ticketing everyone who "looks too low" and has "visible camber", even if they have a bunch of stuff in the back - which makes it look low (due to load).

Important Links/Quotes/Resources:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip3r View Post
If anybody wants to do some reading on the noise issue, here's some links:

Noise Emissions (Standard 1106)
https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/....html#h-481094

Test Method for Standard 1106
https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents..._2005R-eng.pdf

And this tidbit from the testing method which should void any roadside tests:

3.2 Test Site Requirements
3.2.1 The test site shall be such that the vehicle radiates sound into a free field over a
reflecting plane. This condition may be considered fulfilled if the test site consists of
an open space free of large reflecting surfaces such as parked vehicles, signboards,
buildings, or hillsides, located within 30.5 m (100 ft.) of either the vehicle path or the
microphone (see Figure 1).
Advertisement
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||

Last edited by BIC_BAWS; 03-01-2020 at 11:43 AM.
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:29 PM   #2
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
The alleged offender has spoken publicly about this and denied all accusations. Despite there being multiple screenshots across the internet confirming that this took place.
so whos this retard n where r the screenshots?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2018, 05:54 PM   #3
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Edit: nevermind, re-read it

Last edited by mr00jimbo; 03-11-2019 at 09:10 PM.
mr00jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-29-2018, 05:59 PM   #4
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 2,113 Times in 421 Posts
I was making fun of my friends who all drive cressida's, 240sx's, etc. set up for drifting who were sketching out about this... telling them that they were stressing out about something that hasn't even happened to them yet... until Skunkwork's bright red E30 (on factory aero, lowered 1" on factory basketweaves) received a VI today. It literally looks like a stock E30 with a M-Tech kit.

They aren't messing around, they are literally giving out VI's like candy. I too have been hearing about Duke allegedly harassing officer Cain on Instagram.

Maybe you can fly under the radar, if you aren't running crazy aero or if your car isn't bright red / yellow like Duke's Silvia or J-Lo's 240 coupe (also received a VI) respectively.

My EM1 is silver, stock body, but it does have less than a 1" fender gap, and the Spoon N1 is loud AF... even if I roll by in neutral. I rolled by a traffic stop with no issue on Robson a couple nights ago... but I wouldn't risk driving in Vancouver again after hearing about the VI's issued today.

2000 Honda Civic SiR Vogue Silver Metallic [EM1]
2001 Infiniti QX4 Tuscan Beige Metallic[R50]
Scoots
01' Honda Dio 50cc [AF27]

01' Honda Dio 72cc Big Bore [AF27]
89' Honda Elite R 49cc [SE50]
TopsyCrett is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2018, 06:16 PM   #5
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Time to start collecting regi's and VINs...
Old 09-29-2018, 06:16 PM   #6
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
one stupid idiot ruins it for everyone. What did he think would come out of this by posting the VPDs personal info online? Internet warrior vs police with a hell lot more power to see and track this shit.

Basically the idiot kid pissed off someone that has to the power to say fuck you, i'm gonna go and follow the law to the letter.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:31 PM   #7
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

this is what happens when you get all these "kids" who think all these things are a right when it really is a privilege. Beware, the wave of spoiled young adults is merely beginning. Hiding behind their keyboards, no guts to confront people in person. Rude, disrespectful. You break the law, you pay the price. Simple.
Old 09-29-2018, 06:38 PM   #8
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
we all paying the price at this point. hope this calms down. but seriously though. maybe i am actually getting older when i sit back and actually say "WTF were you thinking? WTF good did you think would come out of this?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by coneZONE View Post
this is what happens when you get all these "kids" who think all these things are a right when it really is a privilege. Beware, the wave of spoiled young adults is merely beginning. Hiding behind their keyboards, no guts to confront people in person. Rude, disrespectful. You break the law, you pay the price. Simple.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2018, 07:16 PM   #9
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,289 Times in 2,507 Posts
Thank you for the heads up.

And damn this sucks...
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:18 PM   #10
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,402 Times in 858 Posts
Hi, I'm the one with the near stock E30 that got a Box 2 today. I was crawling along in traffic when I was pulled over.

While both officers were very pleasant to deal with, they told me that "any modifications that aren't factory are illegal". This simply isn't true. I asked for a specific section in the MVA that states this and was simply told to go look in the MVA without any further factual clarity.

This is deeply concerning and while I agree wholeheartedly with throwing the book at the kid and his buddies for allegedly doxxing the officer, I absolutely do not agree with punishing every single automotive enthusiast on the road because of their actions. Before my VI, I didn't even know there was this whole drama unfolding.

Regardless, with it being a VI, you can't dispute it and it's an instant $150+ inspection fee (aka. fine) no matter if your car is fully legal or not.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:22 PM   #11
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,402 Times in 858 Posts
And for clarity, I was not pulled over by the officer mentioned above. The two officers who pulled me over were both part of the traffic squad on motorcycles.

They had issues with my ride height and my aftermarket muffler. According to the MVA, my ride height is legal since no part of my car will contact the ground should I get a flat tire, and my muffler is under the decibel limit.

As I left, they pulled over a Kia Optima that genuinely looked factory save for tint on the rear windows. Brutal.

To say that I'm disappointed is an understatement. The automotive community here has grown so much in the last few years - so much work was put in for the awesome and responsible show and shines, cars and coffees, club drives, autocross and track events, all now in jeopardy because of one stupid kid and this officer.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:50 PM   #12
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
In regards to ride height, looking over the MVA. Section 25.21 allows for height adjustment within 10cm up or down of factory specifications, and Section 7.091 states that no part of the car may be lower than the wheels.

On the other hand, I don't understand why one salty motherfucker decided to undo years of progress getting onto the positive side of police because his selfish ass thought needing several degrees of negative front camber to fit his excessively wide wheels was a good idea. This isn't japan where police let it slide unless they're doing active roadside crackdowns or its your annual inspection.

Last edited by CorneringArtist; 09-29-2018 at 08:00 PM.
CorneringArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:21 PM   #13
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
This is fucked on both sides.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:41 PM   #14
JLC
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Stories of these VI's being handed out are coming up multiple times a day on the numerous whatsapp car group chats that I'm a part of this past week or so.

The weather started getting nice again this past week and I've been hoping to take my fun car out to take advantage of this weather before I pull the insurance next week. But with all the VI's being handed out, I'm hesitant to drive the car and I hate that this dumbass kid pulled some stupid shit that prevents so many of us from being able to enjoy our cars! My thought process is basically "oh man Its nice today. I'm going to take the M3....fuck it... I don't want to risk getting busted".

I'm getting more and more pissed off with this kid Duke every day. He needs to straight up provide a public and personal apology to the cop he and his buddies have harassed. He also owes the resof the car community a huge apology as well. Duke needs to be called out and he needs to grow a set of balls and take responsibility for his actions.

*pissed tf off*

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
JLC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2018, 08:50 PM   #15
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

The sad part is, they're giving VI's to stock cars, such as M cars that come with M suspension and exhausts, which is stupid cause of one person
Cwift is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2018, 10:18 PM   #16
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Sounds like typical 240 driver behaviour to me.
yourself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:22 PM   #17
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Someone just got a VI for flashing ( first 2 seconds or so) brake light and excessive camber (2.2 degrees up front)

This is getting beyond ridiculous. It's time to hide your babies until the storm clears

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2018, 11:47 PM   #18

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
I thought "flashing light" is illegal anyways.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:16 AM   #19

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
I thought "flashing light" is illegal anyways.
From my understanding, it is only illegal if it's the main left or right brake lights (and maybe 3rd). If it's a 4th, it's ok. We learned this the hard way when my friend got a VI from WVPD last year. He had the blinking brake lights in the main.
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2018, 05:06 AM   #20
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,182 Times in 478 Posts
Is this happening all over Vancouver or specific spots? I heard there's two who camp at the Shell on Main and 2nd handing out VI's.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:55 AM   #21
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,653 Times in 3,106 Posts
I got one for my mas. Everything is fucking stock but these clowns said my exhaust was too loud... What the fuck ?! Go talk to Mario in Modena Italy about the exhaust, I didn't do jack shit

Asshole stopped me in kerrisdale when I was buying dog food... Fuck you !!
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:39 AM   #22
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Just curious if your car is stock and get a vi. Do you still have to pay the ticket and get it inspected?
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:43 AM   #23
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,393 Times in 5,088 Posts
^Yup, there is absolutely no way to fight a Box 2 and they know it. It’s not a “ticket” it’s a forced inspection.

The only way to fight this is if people go to the media from a harassment angle or collectively lawyer up.

IMHO it’s a super poor move public relations wise by VPD, traffic enforcement is always a touchy issue because it ends up being the only type of police a normal person ever deals directly with in their life, so how they behave essentially gives the public their impression of being able to trust their police force... these kind of acts damage that reputation severely.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:07 AM   #24
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
So can you people who got unlawful VI’s please go to global BC news or something?
Old 09-30-2018, 07:32 AM   #25
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,653 Times in 3,106 Posts
i think im going to get a lawyer and sue them
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote