REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-30-2018, 03:16 PM   #51
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,403 Times in 858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorian View Post
Nothing new here. If you have an obnoxiously loud exhaust, you will get pulled over. I got pulled over numerous times in my younger days when i was putting exhausts on everything from a 1988 celica gt with 115hp to supras and getting VI for my slammed accord . I now drive a 440whp bmw that sounds stock and i try to keep it as quiet as possible. Black on black , as stealth as it gets. No unprovoked stops by the cops yet.
Did you read this thread? Stock, unmodified cars have been given VIs as of late.

I'm willing to bet my car is quieter than yours - add to the fact I was rolling along at idle in traffic and I was still pulled over.

This entire campaign to punish the innocent enthusiast community over the actions of one and his few friends is entirely unfair - that's what we're speaking up about.

From my experience, I don't agree with the notion that they are profiling based on race. Cst. V and his partner pulled over a Kia Optima after they finished with me. Driver was Caucasian, mid 20s to early 30s at most. It seems they are targeting any vehicle that appears to be enthusiast owned; sports cars, sport sedans, right up to lifted SUVs.
Advertisement
Old 09-30-2018, 03:32 PM   #52
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
wow, this has blown up real big, real fast.. I work near Main & 2nd, was going to chance it for the few remaining weeks after initially hearing about this, before taking the winter car back out, but from the sounds of it, this all out warfare between VPD and anything that even resembles an enthusiast's vehicle has blown completely out of proportion real quick

calling the season and tucking the rice rocket away early - sounds like anybody that has that option should do the same. always one fuckwit that ruins it for everybody.. (allegedly)
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2018, 04:09 PM   #53
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Every so often a few people get VIs and everybody panics for a bit, then forgets about it for a while, then repeat. Typically the ones complaining the loudest about getting a VI aren't even close to legal and have to do a load of work to get it to pass. I'm guessing the genius doxxing a police officer is one of those guys.

Out of all the people I've seen get a VI, next to none actually pass without changing anything.

What's unlawful about a VI? The only way you might have a case is if the same officer is repeatedly giving the same guy VIs on a car that hasn't changed. Unless people would prefer to have mandatory annual inspections I don't think complaining about getting a VI every few years is the best idea.
Except this is an absurd stretch of unwarranted VI's on lightly modified or stock cars, where are the rust bucket Chevy 1500's being Box 1'd? NOWHERE.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:23 PM   #54
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorian View Post
Nothing new here. If you have an obnoxiously loud exhaust, you will get pulled over. I got pulled over numerous times in my younger days when i was putting exhausts on everything from a 1988 celica gt with 115hp to supras and getting VI for my slammed accord . I now drive a 440whp bmw that sounds stock and i try to keep it as quiet as possible. Black on black , as stealth as it gets. No unprovoked stops by the cops yet.

E92 335i / VRSF 5" FMIC - Charge Pipe - DCI - Downpipes / TurboSmart Plumb Back DV / XHP Stage 3 / E40 Custom Tune by Wedge / APEX ARC8 / Michelin PS4S / 11.95 @ 116 / Instagram.com/silent11n54
Dude. Seriously? Read.
Also, black on black 335i a stealth car? The only thing more likely to be driven dangerously on a busy road is a g35 with spray painted tail lights.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:25 PM   #55
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
bro, #murderedout
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2018, 04:31 PM   #56
【=◈︿◈=】

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Dude. Seriously? Read.
Also, black on black 335i a stealth car? The only thing more likely to be driven dangerously on a busy road is a g35 with spray painted tail lights.
LOL don't mind him, 100% took his post as a way of nonchalantly sliding his mod list into the conversation? tire model and all..
Old 09-30-2018, 04:35 PM   #57

Hahaha plus the IG plug.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-30-2018, 04:56 PM   #58
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
While both officers were very pleasant to deal with, they told me that "any modifications that aren't factory are illegal". This simply isn't true. I asked for a specific section in the MVA that states this and was simply told to go look in the MVA without any further factual clarity.
Unfortunately, I was in a similar situation years ago.

I politely asked the officer to kindly explain to me what part of the motor vehicle act, which is extremely outdated in many ways itself, my car was in violation to, and he said to check with ICBC as he was not particularly familiar with the MVA himself.

How do I know that my car is road legal? I am a licensed vehicle inspector myself, and ironically, ICBC bought me the exhaust in question.

The true tragedy is the fact that there are so many good people in both the car community and the VPD but so much attention is focused on alleged shitstorms like this one.
JL9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:01 PM   #59
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,531 Times in 1,519 Posts
Update

I've been in contact with individuals who want to take their experience to the media. We are trying to compile all first-hand incidents regarding the situation and people's experiences of being an automotive enthusiast. Our goal is to present the facts and also to present the potential positive impacts on the community that we have. We want the public to know that we're not gangbangers, we're just regular people united by a passion for automobiles. Whether it makes a difference or not, it's worth a try. Election season is coming up and city officials want the best PR as possible.

This is what you can do to help out:
  • If you have gotten a VI recently, post about your experience with the police officers. Were they polite/nice or assholes? Were they knowledgeable of the law (MVA)? What was the conversation about?
  • Post about your experience of being an automotive enthusiast. Having a passion for cars, has it changed your life for the better (or for the worse)? Is this a (relatively) safe community for teens?
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:03 PM   #60

Great job taking some positive initiative of this dude.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2018, 05:15 PM   #61
【=◈︿◈=】

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Update

I've been in contact with individuals who want to take their experience to the media. We are trying to compile all first-hand incidents regarding the situation and people's experiences of being an automotive enthusiast. Our goal is to present the facts and also to present the potential positive impacts on the community that we have. We want the public to know that we're not gangbangers, we're just regular people united by a passion for automobiles. Whether it makes a difference or not, it's worth a try. Election season is coming up and city officials want the best PR as possible.

This is what you can do to help out:
  • If you have gotten a VI recently, post about your experience with the police officers. Were they polite/nice or assholes? Were they knowledgeable of the law (MVA)? What was the conversation about?
  • Post about your experience of being an automotive enthusiast. Having a passion for cars, has it changed your life for the better (or for the worse)? Is this a (relatively) safe community for teens?
gonna say: before everybody just goes running to the media, please, please verse yourselves with the in's and out's of the MVA, and what potential rules you/your friends are in contravention of - specifically section 7

Motor Vehicle Act Regulations

at the end of the day, the law states that your exhaust cannot be "widened or opened", or modified to increase volume, that your camber/caster/toe can not be modified to the point where it can be visually noted as having been modified, the list goes on. if you do not fall into any of these categories, then by all means, you have a case and an argument on your hands. otherwise, please just shut up and let the people who actually have a case take it further. last thing we need right now is to be viewed as a community that bitches and moans when we're the ones not following the MVA, and the VPD have (vendetta or not) decided to pursue that to the full extent. my car is modified, and if the police are targeting modified cars to the letter of the law, I'm not going to keep tooting along pretending I'm in the category of people who are simply getting picked on for zero apparent reason

otherwise, power to you BIC_BAWS, I hope you guys can shut this thing down - complete bullshit that it even had to get this far, and I hope the instigator(s) of all this have learnt to just sit the fuck down and take the consequences of their own actions and decisions
Old 09-30-2018, 05:23 PM   #62
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,276 Times in 1,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
This shitbirds car does look broken. Is this seriously just because of some punkass with no respect?
That spoiler text is very honest

GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2018, 05:46 PM   #63
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
Except this is an absurd stretch of unwarranted VI's on lightly modified or stock cars, where are the rust bucket Chevy 1500's being Box 1'd? NOWHERE.
We don't hear/know about those instances because they're not plastered all over social media lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:48 PM   #64
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
I see that we have many a guest checking the thread. It's only a matter of time before another completely stock vehicle, like an Abarth or even a 911 somehow gets hit over subjective interpretation of the MVA because of this vendetta.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:51 PM   #65
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,067 Times in 1,252 Posts
so lets say your car is brand new and not modified. can you take the car to the dealer and let them fight it.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:52 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_ View Post
We don't hear/know about those instances because they're not plastered all over social media lol
motorists with mods, aftermarket or factory = people with disposable income
motorists with rust buckets = people living in poverty

which group do you believe the police will internally be more biased to slap an un-appealable ticket to?
Old 09-30-2018, 06:05 PM   #67
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,859 Times in 254 Posts
I think those building a base should start by reaching out to those who have stock car or factory approved parts first (M Performance dealer/dock installed) Jaguar F-Types etc. those kind of car can pass for modified to many people.

It would be a good foundation to build a reasonable case that can gain traction with even non enthusiast. That would be helpful to build momentum with the mainstream and give us the enthusiast a side to shoulder on.
JoshuaWong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2018, 06:10 PM   #68
J.C
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,790 Times in 592 Posts
I think that VIs give the police too much power...

VI's were put in place for a legitimate purpose, but the VI system is flawed because officers can arbitrarily exercise this power without any avenue of dispute or recourse for those who were issued a VI for a vehicle that meets regulation. There needs to be legislative change in the MVA that opens up an avenue of dispute for VIs.
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2018, 06:34 PM   #69
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,682 Times in 3,121 Posts
Well I talked to my lawyer friend and he says the legislation allows them to pull us over if they suspect any modification that is not original. In my specific case he said I should write them a letter explaining the situation and take pictures of my stock vehicle. They should be able to just drop the inspection requirement. However if they do force the issue and I actually have to go get the inspection, then I can fight to get my money back through small claims
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2018, 06:39 PM   #70

just get a letter from your dealership's service centre stating badhobz' mainlandermobile is bone stock

what if they start pulling you over in the vespa
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2018, 07:53 PM   #71
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,682 Times in 3,121 Posts
Come at me bro!!!! They just hating that my 6'2 ass makes the tiny red Vespa look like a bear riding a Bicycle.

Last edited by Badhobz; 09-30-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:19 PM   #72
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I’ve seen skunkworks car in person. It’s beautiful, it’s well kept. It’s the only thing that separates it from some old grandpa e30 to an untrained eye. That and a young Asian guy driving it.
As well kept as it may be, it's still a 24+ year old car. Even if it looks good on the outside it could be trashed mechanically for all they can tell. Look at some of the stuff people report back on in the Good Buys thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_ View Post
Join a 4x4 page, those guys get VIs and complain about it just as much as the sports car guys. Same deal with the bike guys. Everyone thinks they're the only ones purely because they aren't members of the other communities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by - kT View Post
if you do not fall into any of these categories, then by all means, you have a case and an argument on your hands.
I'd say the better way to back your claim is to immediately get the inspection done. Then it's not the owner saying their car is fine (guys with obviously illegal cars make that claim all the time), you've got documentation that the vehicle was found to be complaint without having had the time to change anything. Then get all of those guys together and see just how many there are, things may be different this time but every previous VI blitz I've heard about results in a whole lot of complaining and a whole lot of failed inspections.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2018, 08:33 PM   #73
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post

dont know about you guys, i approve of the hidden message

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-30-2018, 09:16 PM   #74
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
one of my best buddies is a cop for VPD, i am not a big time car enthusiast even though I budge around revscene.

What is a VI so I can ask him about it?

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-30-2018, 09:23 PM   #75
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum