REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:11 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,897 Posts
Sulawesi quake and tsunami

meanwhile, RS argues about car mods and fried chicken

latest death toll over 1200
the officials there JUST started accepting international help

I can't find a direct fund for redcross.ca
anyone know where else?
Advertisement
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-30-2018, 09:30 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
7.5, that is quite high. I may not remember what its like to have a 7.5 earthquake but doesnt that kind of altitude able to shake down tall buildings?
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:38 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

danned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:53 PM   #4
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,529 Times in 1,518 Posts
Thanks for posting this up, Twitchy! I hadn't heard anything about this until now.
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:54 PM   #5
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebacon View Post
7.5, that is quite high. I may not remember what its like to have a 7.5 earthquake but doesnt that kind of altitude able to shake down tall buildings?
Depends on design of the building and other characteristics of the quake (eg. Depth)
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebacon View Post
anything you would've felt in Vancouver would've been 100000000zeromoretrailingzeros times lighter...just because it's typically so far out and deep in the sea

i believe most of the fatalities in this disaster is due to the tsunami as the earthquake knocked out the towers to send the emerg text msgs...and the government lifted the tsunami warning rather pre-maturely

you would think a country as seasoned as Indonesia to tsunamis would have their shit figured out

that begs the question, are we gonna get the tsunami texts in BC when shit hits the fan?
Old 09-30-2018, 11:17 PM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
that is terrible...

the helicopter while it was happening tells the real story,lot of people couldn't get away...no warning system?!
Old 10-01-2018, 12:31 AM   #8

my sheltered brain cannot comprehend a house moving that fast nor the ground making popping noises like that

was on the neighboring island earlier this year so it almost kind of hits home
Old 10-01-2018, 03:24 AM   #9
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

^ that popping noise is the sound of tree trunks snapping like twigs as the water pushes through and levels everything in its path
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:15 AM   #10
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,653 Times in 3,106 Posts
There's been a lot of sesmic activities in the ring of fire recently. Look at how many earthquakes japan had over the last few years . Hopefully it won't be our turn soon. Need alot more minor quakes to relieve techtonic pressures so we don't get hit with the big one.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:39 AM   #11
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
There's been a lot of sesmic activities in the ring of fire recently. Look at how many earthquakes japan had over the last few years . Hopefully it won't be our turn soon. Need alot more minor quakes to relieve techtonic pressures so we don't get hit with the big one.
It doesn't work like that. Because of the subduction nature of the plate we're on, it will be a massive and devastating "megathrust" quake once it happens. There can be mini quakes but they do nothing to "release the pressure" of the big one.

Vancouver Island will bear the brunt of it though so we'll only get aftershocks.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2018, 09:07 AM   #12
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
that is terrible...

the helicopter while it was happening tells the real story,lot of people couldn't get away...no warning system?!
It's a developing city with lots of slums and poor infrastructure. I think everyone was in a state of shock and confusion after the quake so it's hard to really gather people to evacuate.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:07 PM   #13

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
It doesn't work like that. Because of the subduction nature of the plate we're on, it will be a massive and devastating "megathrust" quake once it happens. There can be mini quakes but they do nothing to "release the pressure" of the big one.

Vancouver Island will bear the brunt of it though so we'll only get aftershocks.
Isn't the question of the San Andreas fault line whether the big events happen in threes or twos every five hundred years? Something like that. Like if it's twos,then we won't be expecting one here for hundreds of years, but if it's threes, could happen anytime?
I may have the numbers off, but i think that was the general theory.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:16 PM   #14

two 6.0 quakes just hit another part of Indonesia today

dozens of dead children pulled out from a landslide-torn church, and jailed criminals get a free pass

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se...perate-for-aid

Old 10-02-2018, 12:48 AM   #15
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Isn't the question of the San Andreas fault line whether the big events happen in threes or twos every five hundred years? Something like that. Like if it's twos,then we won't be expecting one here for hundreds of years, but if it's threes, could happen anytime?
I may have the numbers off, but i think that was the general theory.

You may be right or wrong but I would say the san andreas fault isn't the only one we should be worried about. There is also the Cascadian subduction zone which they say could be the more devastating earthquake if it hits.

The last earthquake from the CSZ was around the 1700's and they say it was around 9.0 which is significantly larger than the san andreas earthquake. That one is supposed to happen every 300-500 years or so? So we might be due for one in that regard....

Either faults would have a deadly earthquake and the problem is we need to be prepared. I would think our only means of getting aid would be from the East and we basically only have one route going into the lower mainland (the north and south would be just as screwed I'd imagine). Unlike many other disasters, warnings can be given but earthquakes you'll never know.
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:27 AM   #16

the rough estimate is 15k death in the Cascadian (Nor Cal to Tofino) which is expected to strike similar to the 2004 Indian Ocean and 2011 Japan quakes and be felt as far as Sask/Manitoba...I assume that's not anticipating pop'n growth in the next 50-100 years

as long as you're not on the Western half of the Island, Richmond or Delta and a dozen or two meters above sea level, there's probably not too much concern regarding loss of life...but the financial aspect is really gonna sting for years to come and just how ill-prepared we are is what's actually scary...no one takes the big one drills seriously....I bet very few have sustainable kits at home...and I have little faith in the community (refer to fire station free salt video). Most homes will probably stand after initial shock but become too expensive to repair or topple over from aftershocks. Victoria will probably take a significant blow, Nanaimo/Courtney might fare better, most of US west coast will be so fubar'd to care about us, Kelowna/Kamloops won't be able to reach us with road closures/major traffic jam, Alberta and Prince George will probably be our only real hope assuming their planes can find a makeshift runway (little doubt YVR is as ded as it gets, Abby airport might stand a chance)...I think you can probably draw from the fort mac fire relief efforts but multiply the resource strain exponentially and take away most roads...that's probably the crisis we'll face

tl;dr who actually has quake insurance on their home? or a sustenance kit worth a damn?
Old 10-02-2018, 10:46 AM   #17
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,288 Times in 2,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyx View Post
The last earthquake from the CSZ was around the 1700's and they say it was around 9.0 which is significantly larger than the san andreas earthquake. That one is supposed to happen every 300-500 years or so? So we might be due for one in that regard....
I attended some sort of information earthquake seminar a few years ago, and the scholar who studied this (I think he is from the Island, either working at UVic or some other post secondary institution on the Island) was saying we are overdue for the "BIG ONE". I seem to remember him saying that whatever earthquake records we were able to put togther shows that major earthquakes in our area (west coast BC, including the Island) recurs every 200 - 250 years, and currently, we've already past the 300 year mark. So basically, the BIG ONE can hit any time. But seismic activities run on a totally different time scale compared to our puny human lives, so "any time" can basically mean the next minute all the way up to the next 50+ years.

Richmond and Delta would be hit with bad floods (esp Ladner, Tsawwassen). Places along the Juan de Fuca straight would get flooded, and a lot of sediments would get carried from the waters onto land, so it is gonna get UGLY. I seem to remember that Victoria will get hit really badly by floods as well.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:56 AM   #18
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,653 Times in 3,106 Posts
i cant get earthquake insurance in richmond so when the big one happens, imma gonna inflate my shitty little 60 dollar walmart raft and hopefully use that to escape this shithole.

Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:56 AM   #19
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Quote:
i cant get earthquake insurance in richmond so when the big one happens, imma gonna inflate my shitty little 60 dollar walmart raft and hopefully use that to escape this shithole.

And the first pile of debris you run over will pop that thing no problem..

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2018, 05:15 PM   #20

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post

meanwhile, RS argues about car mods and fried chicken
But weren't you the dude arguing about fried chicken?
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2018, 05:27 PM   #21
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,421 Times in 273 Posts
Quote:

lol you need to find a different agent, Ive got Earthquake and its an extra $700 a year

Acura Integra Type R 00-1004 - It's back
223whp 161ft tq 2.0L ITR

My Feedback
E-40six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:13 PM   #22
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
Earth quake insurance isn’t worth it.

A) the deductible will be like 75k

B) is your insurance company gonna go under before your house gets rebuilt?

If the state of our area is everyone’s house is in ruins you’re gonna he SOL and on your own for potentially YEARS before anything happens, if nothing else simply due to the lack of trades.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:11 PM   #23
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I attended some sort of information earthquake seminar a few years ago, and the scholar who studied this (I think he is from the Island, either working at UVic or some other post secondary institution on the Island) was saying we are overdue for the "BIG ONE". I seem to remember him saying that whatever earthquake records we were able to put togther shows that major earthquakes in our area (west coast BC, including the Island) recurs every 200 - 250 years, and currently, we've already past the 300 year mark. So basically, the BIG ONE can hit any time. But seismic activities run on a totally different time scale compared to our puny human lives, so "any time" can basically mean the next minute all the way up to the next 50+ years.

Richmond and Delta would be hit with bad floods (esp Ladner, Tsawwassen). Places along the Juan de Fuca straight would get flooded, and a lot of sediments would get carried from the waters onto land, so it is gonna get UGLY. I seem to remember that Victoria will get hit really badly by floods as well.
South end of Victoria is pretty much all <20m above sea level, but many of the suburbs are in the hills. The 20m mark runs right through Royal Jubilee hospital on a topographic map, which isn't good, since that's the largest hospital.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:10 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
But weren't you the dude arguing about fried chicken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

I always see this argument

but so few homes are covered under quake damage that going with big enough of an insurance company should fare better?

I definitely agree with your other two points
Old 10-02-2018, 08:22 PM   #25
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Earth quake insurance isn’t worth it.

A) the deductible will be like 75k

If the state of our area is everyone’s house is in ruins you’re gonna he SOL and on your own for potentially YEARS before anything happens, if nothing else simply due to the lack of trades.

Lol not to mention the chances of you surviving... if you're dead it's one less person to pay out.
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote