REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-19-2022, 10:47 PM   #4026
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,875 Times in 8,230 Posts
We've heard a lot about 'capitalist vision' and 'spacex vs nasa' 'steve jobs' and all that. Fit donald trump in there as well, he campaigned a lot on his supposed brilliant business mind. It's been going on for decades - America is still reeling from the effects of these types of governments since Reagan, and trump put them 2 decades further back.

And you are also talking like "doing things to appease voters" is somehow a bad thing.. Oh no, the person I elected is doing what I elected them for. I wish they had vision to do something else like lower taxes for rich people! Where's the vision?

Basically what you want is a salesman to make you feel good about electing a right wing ultra capitalist. If that's what you want, fine, but you shouldn't need a Steve Jobs or Elon Musk brand name "visionary" to get there. If their visions and ideas were so great, people would agree with those ideas and vote for them, rather than the cult of personality.

What Steve Jobs did was take something everyone else was doing, and wrapping it in brilliant marketing to appeal to a huge number of people. That didn't serve anyone other than him and his shareholders. It did grow the smartphone market faster, but that would have happened anyway. But either way, his vision was all about marketing, not progress. If you think Canada needs really good marketing behind their government programs, then yeah you'd want someone like that.

You guys are looking for a brand, not actual change or improvement that will positively effect the lives of 99% of the population.
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 11:20 PM   #4027
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,434 Times in 5,688 Posts
Lol I love this liberal ideology of “I’d rather live in a complete shit hole than have a ‘business man’ run this city!!!”

The methods we’ve been using are NOT working lol.. like.. don’t know what else to tell ya, look around. Both at the municipal level and federal level we are living this liberal nightmare turning the city and country into this lawless shit hole. We have politicians saying our healthcare system is in shambles and people can’t access basic care but we can dump 600 billion dollars into Covid and not blink?

We pay $2.50 per litre of gas to you can wait 3 weeks to see a doctor about your ear infection? Lol

As soon as someone wants accountability and fiscal responsibility it’s “WhAtS ThAt DoNALd TruMp?!?!”

It’s getting to be insane. Can we please just have some rational leadership?
Old 10-19-2022, 11:34 PM   #4028

"The methods we're using new aren't working, so we need to vote for someone who will do an even more extreme version of this"

Sounds like a great idea

Also I forgot that mentioning trump actually turns off parts of peoples' brains, and they lose their ability to construct anything after that. My bad

Anyway, there's not much point to arguing general politics like this, so I'm dropping out of this one.Sometimes I need to know when to keep my mouth shut, and while it's a bit late now, I am good just dropping it.

There's no time for this mess to get fixed anyway, and it's going to get worse and worse from now on until eventually the climate fucks us all and none of this will even matter. Just enjoy what you have now.. Play some video games, go to the gym, watch some Game of Thrones, kiss your wife, pet your cat or dog.
Old 10-20-2022, 08:20 AM   #4029
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
wow wow wow, slow down there, the 600 billion money printer made homeowners and stonk owners much richer, and started this recession!

I wasnt referring to that money printer. That’s a whole separate issue. Any money for stimulus or cerb etc goes to the poor who then buy air fryers on Amazon so it all goes back to wealthy one way or another.
Old 10-20-2022, 08:55 AM   #4030
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,202 Times in 977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Lol I love this liberal ideology of “I’d rather live in a complete shit hole than have a ‘business man’ run this city!!!”

The methods we’ve been using are NOT working lol.. like.. don’t know what else to tell ya, look around. Both at the municipal level and federal level we are living this liberal nightmare turning the city and country into this lawless shit hole. We have politicians saying our healthcare system is in shambles and people can’t access basic care but we can dump 600 billion dollars into Covid and not blink?

It’s getting to be insane. Can we please just have some rational leadership?
I don't think what you're saying is a case of gov't VS business but a case of the quality of either. There are good governments and there are good businesses just as there are bad ones for both.

I look at Alberta vs Norway as a classic example - both had massive oil riches and one government thought long term and built a trillion dollar pension fund that ensures the future of their society while the other frittered it away and today can barely balance the budget. One is a case of good/great government, the other is now led by an anti-vaxxer who blames Ukraine for Russia invading it.

OTOH, we just watched the UK PM resign after 6 weeks out of incompetence which was preceded by one of the more corrupt and incompetent gov't (Boris Johnson) in UK's history. The UK's current predicament is the result of one man, David Cameron, who in trying to keep his job as Conservative leader offered to run a referendum on EU membership despite knowing full well that was a TERRIBLE thing to do.

I could also name you numerous businesses which have been run horribly - WeWork is a good example - but I could also name you businesses that have been run great.
Old 10-20-2022, 09:21 AM   #4031
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,059 Times in 1,931 Posts
Yah ... as always, polarized views - either government or business !! Of course, the truth is somewhere in between. An accountable government with some fiscal sense and not just print money ... balanced with a compassionate heart to do things that might be a deficit sometimes for the good of the society as a whole.

But for ffs ... no fast cat ferry, Massey bridge/Massey tunnel ... Site C dam ... etc. One positive example (debatable) might be the hosting of Olympics which was money spent but left us with a decent amount of infrastructures. Bad examples are unaccountable safe injection sites, clean drugs with no follow up for treatment, closing of Riverview for criminals with mental health/addiction issues.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2022, 09:55 AM   #4032

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
I don't think what you're saying is a case of gov't VS business but a case of the quality of either. There are good governments and there are good businesses just as there are bad ones for both.

I look at Alberta vs Norway as a classic example - both had massive oil riches and one government thought long term and built a trillion dollar pension fund that ensures the future of their society while the other frittered it away and today can barely balance the budget. One is a case of good/great government, the other is now led by an anti-vaxxer who blames Ukraine for Russia invading it.

OTOH, we just watched the UK PM resign after 6 weeks out of incompetence which was preceded by one of the more corrupt and incompetent gov't (Boris Johnson) in UK's history. The UK's current predicament is the result of one man, David Cameron, who in trying to keep his job as Conservative leader offered to run a referendum on EU membership despite knowing full well that was a TERRIBLE thing to do.

I could also name you numerous businesses which have been run horribly - WeWork is a good example - but I could also name you businesses that have been run great.
Completely agree.

What is frustrating is this notion that -anything- related to even BORDERLINE conservative values is TrUMp!!!

Like has Sim even come out and said anything about how he wants to run the city besides maybe being a bit fiscally responsible and people are already shitting on him? The city is a fucking mess.
Old 10-20-2022, 11:26 AM   #4033

Quote:
Completely agree.

What is frustrating is this notion that -anything- related to even BORDERLINE conservative values is TrUMp!!!

Like has Sim even come out and said anything about how he wants to run the city besides maybe being a bit fiscally responsible and people are already shitting on him? The city is a fucking mess.
Well, Trump is held up in Conservative circles as the gold standard. Whether it's Danielle Smith, Doug Ford, Ron DeSantis, Ted Cruz, etc they all steer in that direction b/c that's what's considered good leadership by a few too many Conservatives.

But regarding Sim - I'm a skeptic of him not because he's centre-right but because his public statements inspire little confidence. His statements show a lack of knowledge about a topic (100 nurses) or, in some cases, a misunderstanding of the situation (housing - his 3x3x3 plan for permitting is a joke and, further, he doesn't even know how to make it better - he can't tell you what the problem is and what potential solutions are). He can't tell you where the money is being spent (not even roughly).

He's most definitely not as dumb as Trump but he's no Michael Bloomberg or Gregor Robertson in his level of knowledge of policy or gov't and so I find it hard to take him seriously at this point (acknowledging that I haven't spent that much time reviewing all his statements).
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2022, 12:03 PM   #4034
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,332 Times in 2,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
The discussion might be more appropriate in the Truss resignation thread, s far as UK PMs are concerned, but I wouldn't say Cameron, BoJo, or Truss are corrupt or incompetent.

First and foremost and as much as I hate to say this, people have a right to be stupid and make stupid mistakes. It is just a fact of life that no matter how much I hate it, it is still going to happen. And UK people collectively making a stupid decision to leave the EU was one such example. Under the pressure for that, what is Cameron supposed to do? He was trying everything he can do to persuade the Brexit-ers to not go through with Brexit, and in the end he failed.

May failed to negotiate Brexit terms agreeable to the EU, and I'd hardly think she should be blamed for the failure because it was practically an impossible task to do.

And this is where BoJo came in, and he is literally a genius in coming up with the BS border proposal that make the EU and Northern Ireland / Ireland happy. If it wasn't for BoJo, Brexit would already have been an absolute disaster back starting in 2019.

I lean conservative at heart, and I think Margret Thatcher is a genius in many of her domestic policies. (She was a massive failure in her negotiations with China regarding Hong Kong's future though.) In that sense, I don't think Truss was necessarily wrong in wanting to push for a Conservative agenda. Her execution of it certainly left a lot to be desired, and it is undeniable that she failed to have a good read on the public's sentiments prior to pushing the policy forward. The massive about-turn in the policy was also very, very poorly done. But if there is one good thing and a fantastic redeeming grace for all recent British PMs, it is their understanding of the need to be held accountable for their failures, and step down the moment they know they've fxxked up.

If Turdeau had the same decency as any of these UK PMs, he would have stepped down 10+ times already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
But for ffs ... no fast cat ferry, Massey bridge/Massey tunnel ... Site C dam ... etc. One positive example (debatable) might be the hosting of Olympics which was money spent but left us with a decent amount of infrastructures. Bad examples are unaccountable safe injection sites, clean drugs with no follow up for treatment, closing of Riverview for criminals with mental health/addiction issues.
I would say some of things you've mentioned here are up for discussion too, depending on where your political leanings and beliefs are. Site C is exceedingly expensive, but in the push for EVs and greenhouse gas / carbon footprint reductions, it might be seen as a genius move with incredible foresight 15 - 20 years down the line. I am personally very much against the Olympics (and the IOC), so I don't really see the Winter Games under a positive light in any regard. (IMO, the infrastructure should have been built regardless of whether the Olympics were to happen.) Harm reduction measures are controversial, but we wouldn't have known how bad things would get had we not adopted them.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 12:32 PM   #4035

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
The discussion might be more appropriate in the Truss resignation thread, s far as UK PMs are concerned, but I wouldn't say Cameron, BoJo, or Truss are corrupt or incompetent.

First and foremost and as much as I hate to say this, people have a right to be stupid and make stupid mistakes. It is just a fact of life that no matter how much I hate it, it is still going to happen. And UK people collectively making a stupid decision to leave the EU was one such example. Under the pressure for that, what is Cameron supposed to do? He was trying everything he can do to persuade the Brexit-ers to not go through with Brexit, and in the end he failed.
I only think BoJo is corrupt AND incompetent - the man basically ran on a platform of being ignorant. I think May was put in a terrible position and made lemonade best she could. With Cameron, I think he was stupid and he chose the one option that means he's going to live in infamy 50 years from now (by which time the UK will have rejoined the EU out of desperation) - it never should have gone to a vote and he made it possible.

In the case of Truss, either she knew the markets would respond the way it did and this was her way of clearing the decks or she was too stupid/arrogant and thought tax cuts would excite the market and get the UK going in the right direction. The former is a brave move, the latter is just plain dumb.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2022, 04:19 PM   #4036
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,838 Times in 2,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Just enjoy what you have now.. Play some video games, go to the gym, watch some Game of Thrones, kiss your wife, pet your cat or dog.
shit you pretty much summed up my life minus cat/dog, i have a hamster

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2022, 08:23 PM   #4037
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,403 Times in 1,242 Posts
If the climate apocalypse is upon us you might as well skip the gym, kiss your cat or dog and pet your wife instead.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2022, 10:35 PM   #4038

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
If the climate apocalypse is upon us you might as well skip the gym, kiss your cat or dog and pet your wife instead.
Gym keeps some people sane
This post thanked by:
Old 10-21-2022, 07:05 AM   #4039
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,403 Times in 1,242 Posts
Read it again

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 09:02 AM   #4040
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,226 Times in 7,183 Posts
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 05:39 PM   #4041
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,308 Times in 1,982 Posts

I love it when cops break character

1:13
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 07:18 PM   #4042
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
No personal opinion on the Ken Sim the new mayor. Nor did I even bother to vote

Just find it very interesting that all of my friends that make their money from real estate are pro Sim and made sure shill this to everyone they know.

None of them are renters. Or live remotely close to DTES, the problem that took the front stage this election
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2022, 11:37 AM   #4043

Thanked 4,663 Times in 1,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post

Just find it very interesting that all of my friends that make their money from real estate are pro Sim and made sure shill this to everyone they know.

None of them are renters. Or live remotely close to DTES, the problem that took the front stage this election
The greedy gonna greed.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 11:55 AM   #4044

Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post

Well Stewart was doing a bang up job with it, so too bad he couldn’t stick around
Old 10-27-2022, 12:02 PM   #4045

BC govt. won’t back the Olympic bid:

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2022/1...2030-olympics/

I’ll bet anyone anything they want racism is called in the next week lol.. even though the First Nations adamantly opposed a referendum about hosting the games
Old 10-27-2022, 12:12 PM   #4046

Thanked 4,663 Times in 1,758 Posts
^Good.

We hosted it already, we have much larger fish to fry and address in this city. We have a massive housing affordability problem, arguably set off after 2010, I'd like to see some of those issues tackled before trying to attract the games back here.

Last edited by mikemhg; 10-27-2022 at 03:25 PM.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-28-2022, 08:22 AM   #4047
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,978 Times in 3,904 Posts
Fuck the Olympics.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-28-2022, 10:27 AM   #4048
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 8,892 Times in 3,207 Posts
unless they making muk muk 2.0 fuck the olympics

I missed out on the giant muk muk
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 04:10 PM   #4049
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,059 Times in 1,931 Posts
Rare, Port Moody Council - 2 candidates has exactly the same number of votes. Settled by a random draw!

https://globalnews.ca/news/9235242/a...on-tiebreaker/
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 11:02 PM   #4050

Quote:
BC govt. won’t back the Olympic bid:

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2022/1...2030-olympics/

I’ll bet anyone anything they want racism is called in the next week lol.. even though the First Nations adamantly opposed a referendum about hosting the games
Well.. that was quick:

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2022/1...vince-support/

“Not hosting the games is 10 steps back in reconciliation”

Andddd.. ya lost me