REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-14-2023, 04:53 PM   #5151
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,412 Times in 3,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
You know the liberals are crumbling when they don’t even try to veil their love for wealthy corpo types
Are you going to turn a blind eye to Ontario and Alberta? The only party that does not have any love for big corps is the NDP.
Advertisement
Old 09-14-2023, 04:57 PM   #5152
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,859 Times in 1,786 Posts
Ah yes, the conservatives. Champions of the common man. Under their rule corporate tax rates reduced from 22% to 15%.
Oh yes,. No love for wealthy corpo types there.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2023, 05:09 PM   #5153

Thanked 31,224 Times in 7,183 Posts
Cons do it under the guise of "trickle down economics for the flourishing of the middle class"
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 05:29 PM   #5154
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,432 Times in 5,688 Posts
As opposed to “the budget will balance itself”
Old 09-14-2023, 05:29 PM   #5155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Ah yes, the conservatives. Champions of the common man. Under their rule corporate tax rates reduced from 22% to 15%.
Oh yes,. No love for wealthy corpo types there.
They don’t lie through their teeth about it at least

I now work with a bunch of very well educated, mature, professionals. Many engineers, some in law etc. The other day there were 8-10 of us eating lunch and there’s always a bit of political discussion that arises from time to time.

If only RS could have been a fly on the wall. People from all different backgrounds, economic status etc. watching the global news feed and almost unanimously as Turd came on the TV

“This country has turned into a joke”

I love it. Everyone nodding their heads in agreement, zero support for the liberals throughout. Not only that but people openly expressing their dismay with actual tangible discussion of policy and economics.

Last edited by Hondaracer; 09-14-2023 at 05:34 PM.
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 05:42 PM   #5156
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,473 Times in 998 Posts
i dont think too many of us like the liberals or what they have done either, most of us dislike and distrust PP and his cons even more though.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2023, 05:48 PM   #5157

Why?

Do you think rents are going to go from 3000 to 4000?

Do you think homes are going to go from 2 million to 3 million?

Do you think our reputation on the global stage could possibly get worse?

The actual issues that matter to most people, that affect them on a day to day basis can almost not get worse. As with most government flip flops the other party might come in and do the opposite of what the current govt. is doing. At this point, that’s an improvement.

I think PP is trash, but the enemy of my enemy is my friend

Btw, this GST tax break was something promised in 2015 that the liberals backtracked on because they said it wouldn’t work:

https://globalnews.ca/news/2210480/l...-housing-plan/

Also, this whole thing is EXACTLY trickle down economics lol

I will say this honestly though, outside of having less disposable income, largely due to my own mistake of taking a variable rate mortgage, I’m fine. I live very comfortably I’m healthy, whatever, I have nothing to complain about.

My issue is the overall quality of life we’ve come to as a collective. As I’ve said before and as this thread does in going around in circles, like.. people are STRUGGLING

People with good jobs, educations, experience, work ethic, and even some help in most cases are fucking STRUGGLING. I don’t know how you can’t. And Canada shouldn’t be like that. Vancouver isn’t Manhattan. It’s like working in a toxic workplace, when everyone’s pissed off, run down, stressed out, with your literal well-being on the line, shits crazy. And yea I accept it’s a problem elsewhere but fuck like, if you’ve been living in the lower mainland for the last 20 years and have just been gradually pushed out or worse because you never bought a home or made more than 50k a year, it’s terrible and that’s happening all over Canada

Last edited by Hondaracer; 09-14-2023 at 06:07 PM.
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 06:40 PM   #5158

The financial issues here in Canada are becoming absurd, but there is myriad of reasons behind it beyond Trudeau.
We are in late stage capitalism. There have been generations of accumulated wealth, longer lifespans, huge population growth (in the world and here) and more money is being controlled by less people. Every prior generation has had something stop that, like there have been massive taxes on the rich in the previous millennium throughout many decades that helped keep things in check. Globalization and automation has allowed for a race to the bottom to tempt corporations to give you the little peepee dribble in their underwear to the population to keep them happy.
There needs to be a restructuring of how capitalism works based on peoples actual needs in order for it not to get worse.
No one should have hundreds of billions of dollars. Every one of those people essentially removes the success of tens of thousands of people that would otherwise be wealthy.

The BOC which is completely fucking people has absolutely no allegiance to Trudeau or the libs, and they are actually going completely against what the party wants.

I also don't understand what you think our reputation on the global stage is? Who hates canada? Afghanistan? Iran? China? North Korea? They also hate America, they also hate the UK, they hate fuckin everyone (the government, not the people) so what is PP gonna do? What's Obama gonna do? What's Clinton gonna do? Harper? Biden? Trump? It makes no difference.
NATO wanting us to up our defense spending is the closest relevant thing I can think of on that matter, but it's hardly the country "becoming a joke on the global stage" The people that would hate it here would hate it anywhere to be frank.

Trudeau, like I said, is well past his expiration date. But Canada needs systematic reform, and most of the world in general, needs systematic reform. We aren't in the same world we were 20 years ago, and things need to be brought into the 21st century.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2023, 07:38 PM   #5159
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,328 Times in 2,525 Posts
It is one thing to acknowledge that Turd has turned the country into a joke, but it is quite another to realize how bad things would be "had there been another leader at the helm". The simplest, most recent, and most evident example is how Trump's presidency has dramatically changed and fxxked up America.

One example is abortion rights. The vast majority of Americans support some degree of legal abortion -- to the tune of 70 - 80+ percent range. Many residents in Republican states support abortion rights as well, but a heck of a lot of those same people have ended up royally fxxking themselves on this front. But you know what? You'd never hear any of those red state abortion rights supporters admitting that they've fxxked themselves in the a$$ when the US Supreme court overturned Roe vs Wade.

I don't consider myself an environmentalist, but in the face of global climate change and all the disasters that it has brought -- did you know that 2023 is the hottest year on record across the entire globe? -- I'd have to call a person stupid if they still do not think human-induced climate change is real. In this particular portfolio, Turd and the Liberals actually have a pretty decent plan, as evaluated by the international community. (Although some of the execution is lacking.) But the Cons? O'Toole basically had nothing in the last election, and PeePee certainly hasn't said anything concrete, much like how he hasn't said anything concrete on anything at all.

I think PeePee has a much better chance to win our next Prime Ministership than Turd does, but those who believe PeePee can help relieve the housing issue and put money back into the bank accounts of everyday people are sorely mistaken. And when the next heat dome settles over Canada, I bet none of the Alberta UCP supporter or the Ontario PCP supports would blame it on Danelle Smith, Doug Ford, or PeePee.

Quote:
If only RS could have been a fly on the wall. People from all different backgrounds, economic status etc. watching the global news feed and almost unanimously as Turd came on the TV

“This country has turned into a joke”

I love it. Everyone nodding their heads in agreement, zero support for the liberals throughout. Not only that but people openly expressing their dismay with actual tangible discussion of policy and economics.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2023, 10:18 PM   #5160
I STILL don't get it

Can someone explain how "removing the GST" makes it cheaper to build rental units?

Any GST registrant, e.g. developer for a rental building or otherwise, would be claiming the GST they paid on their costs and expenses as input tax credits on their GST return so all GST amounts they paid gets refunded back anyway. For example, the current environment would have DeveloperCo pay $20,000 of GST from their total costs and expenses for the year to their suppliers, tradesmen, etc. When the Company file their GST return, they get that exact GST amount refunded back to the Company which means DeveloperCo didn't pay any GST when the dust settles. There isn't any GST to cancel. Can someone explain how it does anything or is this just politics?

Last edited by ssjGoku69; 09-14-2023 at 10:26 PM. Reason: grammar & brevity
ssjGoku69 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2023, 07:20 AM   #5161
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,590 Times in 4,304 Posts
The "removing" the GST just puts more money into the developer's pockets and will not make a difference at all. It's all about supply and demand in their world and yes more units might be built but the cost to rent them out will be the same or higher due to the ongoing inflation that won't be stopping any time soon.
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 07:41 AM   #5162
SFICC-03*

Quote:
Why?

Do you think rents are going to go from 3000 to 4000?

Do you think homes are going to go from 2 million to 3 million?

Do you think our reputation on the global stage could possibly get worse?
do you really think that none of this is possible?

and ya i dont understand the reputation on the global stage thing? people in japan are not saying 'trudope'.
if you think countries like china matter, then you should know that the conservatives consider tough on china to be at the top of their list of priorities.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2023, 07:46 AM   #5163

Politicians want nothing more than to hold onto power.

If any of those came to fruition the govt. in power would crumble.

The Chinese investors, students, and TFW aren’t the ones voting. If any govt. allowed this further runaway of affordability it would be political suicide.

In regards to the above comments re: climate change, while there is obviously concern about climate change etc. it’s probably the 3rd to 5th most important topic to Canadians, if that.

If any party wanted a slam dunk victory, remove the carbon tax. That would show how much Canadians really care about climate change lol
Old 09-15-2023, 07:59 AM   #5164

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
do you really think that none of this is possible?

and ya i dont understand the reputation on the global stage thing? people in japan are not saying 'trudope'.
if you think countries like china matter, then you should know that the conservatives consider tough on china to be at the top of their list of priorities.
India, USA, China, most of Asia

Like, huge up and coming global economies like India, the relationship is the worst it’s ever been.

People in these places aren’t saying Trudope, but I have many colleagues from India who are saying Canada is viewed incredibly poorly from their end in recent years. Which in itself is hilarious that we’ve reached this point
Old 09-15-2023, 08:30 AM   #5165
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,412 Times in 3,479 Posts
Quote:
India, USA, China, most of Asia

Like, huge up and coming global economies like India, the relationship is the worst it’s ever been.

People in these places aren’t saying Trudope, but I have many colleagues from India who are saying Canada is viewed incredibly poorly from their end in recent years. Which in itself is hilarious that we’ve reached this point
Who the fuck cares how India see's us. The guy running the country is way worse than trump. Before he became PM he was banned from the US. The reason why Modi hates JT is because Sikhs have freedom of speech in Canada. Something they don't have in India.

Here is a clip from a BBc documenry that India tried to ban world wide.

Old 09-15-2023, 08:32 AM   #5166
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,701 Times in 5,216 Posts
People care and bitch and complain about EVERYTHING.

Until it costs them money. Then they stop complaining and complain about it costing them money instead.

Welcome to human nature lol
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 08:33 AM   #5167

Quote:
In regards to the above comments re: climate change, while there is obviously concern about climate change etc. it’s probably the 3rd to 5th most important topic to Canadians, if that.

If any party wanted a slam dunk victory, remove the carbon tax. That would show how much Canadians really care about climate change lol
The point I wanted to make using abortion rights / climate change is less about abortion rights and climate change, but more about how people have no idea what they are getting themselves into, and it applies directly to the group that you socialized with. They might be saying Canada has turned into a joke because of and under Turd, but I'm saying they'll be in for an even wilder ride if they think PeePee is gonna be less of a joke than Turd.

And all you really need to see is what happened to the US as a result of Trump's presidency.
Old 09-15-2023, 08:34 AM   #5168
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,701 Times in 5,216 Posts
Yah, India hates us sooooooooooooooooooooo much... hate us so much they can't stop coming here in person to tell us how much they hate Canada lol:

"Indians migrating to Canada have tripled since 2020. 118,095 Indians became permanent residents in Canada in 2022. The number of immigrants is about to reach the 2 million mark this year. -Mar 30, 2023"
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2023, 09:44 AM   #5169

USA hates us?
The Americans that think canada are a joke are the same ones that think their own country is a joke. The Y'all queda doesn't like either place because they are trying to separate governance from conservative Christianity.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2023, 11:02 AM   #5170
SFICC-03*

conservatives are the "canada first" crowd. you think they are good at global relations? that's laughable.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2023, 11:21 AM   #5171

I can't believe anyone can seriously say Canada-USA relations are worse than before.

Obama-Harper era relations were more than Frosty. Obama never even made a state visit to Canada until Trudeau was elected, and reciprocated by inviting Trudeau for a state visit in the USA. Harper was never invited for an official state visit in the USA. (Only working visits).
Biden has also made an official state visit to Canada
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 09-15-2023, 11:25 AM   #5172

It's because they are basing canada US relations on a FB comment section of a news story about trans people.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2023, 11:40 AM   #5173

If you actually think this current govt. and this current leader is better than the previous Harper govt. you’re a fool and there’s no more discussion to be had.

No one outside of this forum would have the balls to try and make that argument in public.

Peeps gon be living in cardboard boxes but at least it will be under a free liberal dictatorship!
Old 09-15-2023, 11:45 AM   #5174

Ah yes, the old "I can't make any salient, justifiable points, so everyone else is a fool and sucks!"

Comment.

A comment go to for conservative loudmouths everywhere!
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2023, 12:11 PM   #5175

Quote:
If you actually think this current govt. and this current leader is better than the previous Harper govt. you’re a fool and there’s no more discussion to be had.

No one outside of this forum would have the balls to try and make that argument in public.

Peeps gon be living in cardboard boxes but at least it will be under a free liberal dictatorship!
While I'd agree that on the whole, the Harper gov was quite a bit better than Turd's in most regards, it should also be noted that there were significant places where the Harper gov was lacking. One of the most well-known examples was Harper's muzzle order on gov scientists. Another really bad example that set a precedence was Harper's proroguing of gov.

Personally, I have always believed that one of the strongest reasons Harper did well was because of the late Jim Flaherty as his Finance Minister. Throughout Turd's governments, he never had a Finance Minister that was anywhere close to Flaherty's level, and naturally, that made for a huge difference in how we (Canada) fared.

And I would not be afraid to make any of my above comments out in the public.
This post thanked by: