REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:15 PM   #51
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Got ticketed by bylaws once for parking too close to the alleyway exit. I recall it is a more expensive ticket than your regular parking meter tickets.
Advertisement
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:33 PM   #52
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
No way to update that. The coin meter isn't connected to any network. It's also cost prohibited.
The meter isn't connected to network but the number of that meter is. I am sure a software engineer can find a solution if they wanted to. But obviously city will never do that because they want to collect as much money as possible. If triple dipping is a thing, they be all over it.
teggy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:57 PM   #53
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
Nobody is patrolling...it's a neighbor reporting it.
no they actually do. everyone is assigned an area to patrol in the city.

I've asked a bylaw officer trying to ticket our dealership cars on main street
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:07 PM   #54
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teggy604 View Post
The meter isn't connected to network but the number of that meter is. I am sure a software engineer can find a solution if they wanted to. But obviously city will never do that because they want to collect as much money as possible. If triple dipping is a thing, they be all over it.
No guy, it is not possible without a network connection. One is an offline system , one is connected.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:26 PM   #55
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,733 Times in 696 Posts
If the bylaw officer is called to a scene, he's not going to give you guys slack. He's going to do his job. Otherwise his job is in jeopardy or he's in jeopardy of looking like an officer that doesn't know the bylaws.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:43 PM   #56
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
i thought anyone on your block can park there for as long as they want...the space in front doesn't belong to your house per say

and that the 3-4 hours only applies to non-residents?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:33 AM   #57
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teggy604 View Post
That's what I thought. So does the app tell you how much time left on the meter if you punch in the meter number? If not I think they should be more transparent with that info. If I park at the meter and there is 10 mins left, at least that will give 10 mins to someone else parking there. I rather give that 10 mins to someone than that 10 mins to the city.
No. It's not an open database for you.
In the app, you create a profile (license plate and enter in your CC number)
Then you just enter the meter number and enter in the amount of minutes you want to park there, and pay.

The app will keep a countdown timer for you, and give you text msg notifications when your time is running low/out.

I guess in theory, the city can triple, quadruple, quintuple, dip if cars keep overpaying via mobile app and leaving before time's up.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:49 AM   #58
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
If the bylaw officer is called to a scene, he's not going to give you guys slack. He's going to do his job. Otherwise his job is in jeopardy or he's in jeopardy of looking like an officer that doesn't know the bylaws.
Depends on what it is, every time one of my neighbours has called bylaw over something fairly minor (bumper overhanging the street, didn't like the look of the tarped up Gambler 500 car, etc) they asked me to correct it and that was that.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:58 PM   #59
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
i thought anyone on your block can park there for as long as they want...the space in front doesn't belong to your house per say

and that the 3-4 hours only applies to non-residents?
As per the City of Vancouver's website when there is no signage:
Section 17.6 (f): Between 8:00am and 6:00pm every day, do not park your vehicle for more than 3 hours in front of residential or commercial properties that you do not own or work at.

The 3-hour bylaw restricts all-day commuter parking to allow daytime access for residents to their homes and for business owners and employees to their workplaces.
https://vancouver.ca/streets-transpo...and-lanes.aspx
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2018, 01:24 PM   #60
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
Section 17.6 (f): Between 8:00am and 6:00pm every day, do not park your vehicle for more than 3 hours in front of residential or commercial properties that you do not own or work at.

The 3-hour bylaw restricts all-day commuter parking to allow daytime access for residents to their homes and for business owners and employees to their workplaces.
Tip/loophole. Don't park directly in front of someones house, park 50 in front of one and 50 in front of another. It would mean both houses need to call in to report it lol good luck.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:02 PM   #61
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Tip/loophole. Don't park directly in front of someones house, park 50 in front of one and 50 in front of another. It would mean both houses need to call in to report it lol good luck.
LOL or you can get 2 tickets!
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:31 AM   #62

Quote:
LOL or you can get 2 tickets!
lol that isn't how it works

Old 12-06-2018, 01:37 PM   #63
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:

Weird... Called in once to report a car that hasn't moved for weeks. Doors unlocked, laptop in the front passenger seat. Neighbor even opened the door to check it out

The 311 CSR told me that the car was legally parked. But whoever the owner of the car was, drove it away a week after......

But I'm going to refer to Section 17.6 (f) now from now on bwahhaha
FOREVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:49 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOREVER View Post
Weird... Called in once to report a car that hasn't moved for weeks. Doors unlocked, laptop in the front passenger seat. Neighbor even opened the door to check it out

The 311 CSR told me that the car was legally parked. But whoever the owner of the car was, drove it away a week after......

But I'm going to refer to Section 17.6 (f) now from now on bwahhaha
Just ask to be transferred to parking enforcement.

Old 12-08-2018, 05:06 PM   #65
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
I've called RCMP for a parking issue, since bylaws was closed. 2 officers showed up within 20 mins and towed the car blocking the driveway

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:33 PM   #66
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,141 Times in 385 Posts
Got a ticket this past week for being parked facing the wrong direction in East Vancouver, I was inside viewing my Parents new house. While I agree I broke the law, there has to be some kind of leeway, maybe over night or for more then X amount of hours. We were in and out in about an hour. Strange enough, I park in Port Coquitlam facing the wrong direction 50% of the time and have a bylaw officer down the street, yet I have never received a ticket.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:29 PM   #67
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Why not turn around and park facing the correct way? I can see if you're picking someone up and leaving right away, but an hour? Seems kinda ghetto.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2018, 08:43 PM   #68
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

At the end of the day these guys are just doing their jobs. If I park illegally I fully understand that I have a chance of receiving a ticket. Most officers I've dealt with are more than reasonable and I've had a couple of tickets cancelled on the spot just by apologizing - if you come out screaming at them they definitely won't help you out; it's completely their discretion.
Past:'06 Civic Si
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2018, 08:44 PM   #69
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,397 Times in 5,090 Posts
Yah that’s the problem they don’t know how long you were parked that way... could have been a day for all they knew right? They’re not monitoring 24/7. That said some streets in East van I get why you would be very tempted to, only 1 car through at a time and middle of a block you got a long ways to go to turn around at an intersection or roundabout to get faced the right way.

I feel like it should only be an infraction on 2 lane wide streets cuz then you straight up drove on the wrong side of the road to get over there to park.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:07 PM   #70

the fact that there are even rules being enforced regarding direction of travel on residential side streets sans markings on the road, is idiotic

in practice when both curbs are lined with parked cars, it really becomes ony wide enough for one vehicle doing 30-40 kph

and how about some leeway not regarding how long you were parked there but just for educating/warning the public? like no one actually gets ticketed for idling too long, but will be educated on it. why couldn't parking the wrong way be the same?

surely bylaw officers have other infractions they should be looking at that actually affects safety/access rather than increasing revenue

sorry i know it's starting to sound like the VI thread...break the law, pay the price, but i think they could go about it a bit more reasonable
Old 12-08-2018, 11:12 PM   #71
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,291 Times in 2,507 Posts
Quote:
sorry i know it's starting to sound like the VI thread...break the law, pay the price, but i think they could go about it a bit more reasonable
The biggest difference is, bylaw tickets account for a significant portion of municipal revenue. This is literally one of their sacred cash cows. It is hardly surprising how they are putting a good amount of resources (human or otherwise) into it.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:46 PM   #72

that same block where i got the ticket in the initial post there's also a fire hydrant, and the nearest no stopping sign preventing you from parking too close to it was less than 5m away, hmm make up your mind?

and i'm not even that salty on tickets, it's when you get towed and fully knowing you weren't blocking traffic nor was it a real safety concern that they had to remove your vehicle

was walking around tinseltown/stadium yesterday night, tickets on so many windshields, a dozen of tow trucks within a few blocks fishing it in...nice catch
Old 12-09-2018, 09:53 AM   #73
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TjAlmeida View Post
Got a ticket this past week for being parked facing the wrong direction in East Vancouver, I was inside viewing my Parents new house. While I agree I broke the law, there has to be some kind of leeway, maybe over night or for more then X amount of hours. We were in and out in about an hour. Strange enough, I park in Port Coquitlam facing the wrong direction 50% of the time and have a bylaw officer down the street, yet I have never received a ticket.
Why don't you just cross the street instead?
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:09 AM   #74

probably doesn't wanna park in front of neighbour's house if it's over 3 hours?
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-09-2018, 01:48 PM   #75

Quote:
probably doesn't wanna park in front of neighbour's house if it's over 3 hours?
Clearly he had no intent of even staying that long so that wasn't it. Let's face it, most people who park the other direction (let's not argue if it's right or wrong) is almost always pure laziness and or I don't give a fuck I'll park how I want because I fail to see a very logical reason anyone would be parking that way for an extended amount of time. For a few mins sure there are some pretty understandable reasons i.e. picking up an elderly, handicap person or perhaps loading a kid into the car seat. Heck even dropping off groceries and a million other things but an hour or even overnight?

This post thanked by: