REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-30-2018, 05:53 PM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,853 Times in 889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I know what you're saying, AzNighmare. It's just that I don't agree with the bylaw officer being so by-the-book strict. Chill out a bit, cut people so slack, and show some leniency, you know? It's a parking violation, not a murder case.
How do you know the officer wasn't already cutting people slack that day?

If they sat in the same spot for an hour and watched how many people pulled into the bus stop, how many should they let go in order to "chill out a bit"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Vanc...237/story.html

these meter maids are on the ball and doing a helluva fine job, i'll at least give them that.
“There are hundreds of thousands of people coming into this city everyday. If I’m from outside the city and they don’t tell me clearly, how fair is that? I’ve never thought ‘I’m driving into Burnaby, I better read the bylaws.’”

Unfortunately for her, ignorance is not an excuse. Most people may not read the bylaws (or any laws), but if you get dinged on something, consider it an expensive lesson, move on, and don't do it again.
Advertisement

Last edited by bobbinka; 11-30-2018 at 06:07 PM.
bobbinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:25 PM   #27
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
residential enforcement is typically on complaint basis, but each City's mandate is different.

CoV are ruthless fuckers. I got ticketed and towed for parking too close to the intersection like OP's photo

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:00 PM   #28
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I've gotten a ticket before for parking behind my garage facing the wrong way in the alley.
there is a direction of traffic in a laneway?!

can someone actually quote this from a city's page that an alleyway is directional?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbinka View Post
Unfortunately for her, ignorance is not an excuse. Most people may not read the bylaws (or any laws), but if you get dinged on something, consider it an expensive lesson, move on, and don't do it again.
i agree ignorance is not an excuse, however, why doesn't every city within Metro Vancouver standardize bylaws so folks don't have to google everytime they park outside of their postal code.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:41 PM   #29

Quote:
i agree ignorance is not an excuse, however, why doesn't every city within Metro Vancouver standardize bylaws so folks don't have to google everytime they park outside of their postal code.
The thing is, even if it were standardized, that lady would have still parked there.

Interestingly, you can make the case that there is some standard to adhere to. Per the last page of this ICBC document (https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensin...drivers4.pdf):

Quote:
It’s illegal to park:
• on a sidewalk or boulevard
• across the entrance to any driveway, back lane or intersection
• within five metres of a fire hydrant (measured from the point
at the curb beside the hydrant)
• within six metres of a crosswalk or intersection
• within six metres of a stop sign or traffic light
• within 15 metres of the nearest rail of a railway crossing
• in a bicycle lane
• on a bridge or in a highway tunnel
• where your vehicle obstructs the visibility of a traffic sign
• where a traffic sign prohibits parking, or where the curb is
painted yellow or red
• in a space for people with disabilities unless you display a
disabled person parking permit in your windshield and your
vehicle is carrying a person with a disability.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:50 PM   #30

that lady got towed because her vehicle was within 1.5m from driveway/alley, which is absent from your icbc source

in my case on post #1, i'd guess i was 3-4m away from edge of sidewalk, so ticket is certainly valid. But it was within the edge of apartment building on the block, hence surprised it was written up.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:41 PM   #31
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Section 17.5 (b): Within 6 m of the nearest edge of the closest sidewalk on an intersecting street. See the image below.

Section 17.5 (c): When there is no sidewalk, 9 m of the nearest edge of the pavement of an intersecting street. See the image below.

Section 17.2 (d): Within 1.5 m of a private road, boulevard crossing, or sidewalk crossing. See the image below.

https://vancouver.ca/streets-transpo...and-lanes.aspx

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:46 PM   #32

Quote:
that lady got towed because her vehicle was within 1.5m from driveway/alley, which is absent from your icbc source
Hence why I said "some standard". I agree that standardization makes sense.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:03 AM   #33
I bringith the lowerballerith

Everytime I walk by parking meters I see the meter says "0.00" but cars are parked in that spot. So if you pay by phone or app does the meter update the mins on the meter? If not the city is harsh double dipping.
teggy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:14 AM   #34
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teggy604 View Post
Everytime I walk by parking meters I see the meter says "0.00" but cars are parked in that spot. So if you pay by phone or app does the meter update the mins on the meter? If not the city is harsh double dipping.
if you pay by phone or app, the minutes will be added to their data base so even if it says 00:00 on the meter, if they walk by and search the meter number, it will show the paid time on their devices. And the minutes/hours are registered to license plates too if you pay by phone/app. City is totally trying to find ways to make $$$. Look at all those meters they implemented on main street and else where. There is no such thing as free parking now on non residential streets.
i-vtecyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:41 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-vtecyo View Post
City is totally trying to find ways to make $$$. Look at all those meters they implemented on main street and else where. There is no such thing as free parking now on non residential streets.
i don't blame them, land is $$$, why not increase revenues?
Old 12-02-2018, 01:00 AM   #36
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, they're double dipping... those meters don't update. It's all in their database now. It only shows time on the meters if people are still using coins or CC.

Those days are getting more rare, where I pull over and my wife gets out to check the few meters around for any leftover time from a previous parked car, lol.

Apparently, I think you're only allowed to park at the same meter for 2 hours per day as well.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:47 PM   #37
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Richmond bylaw guys are hard core.
Always driving around in circles all day in his Ford Transit.
I was once ticketed for not parked within 30cm of curb.
I was maybe a inch off. These guys seriously go around with ruler sticks.
If city didn't pay them 50k/yr for writing tickets, maybe they wouldn't need to so strick to make the money back.
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:45 PM   #38
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportPsycho View Post
Richmond bylaw guys are hard core.
Always driving around in circles all day in his Ford Transit.
I was maybe a inch off. These guys seriously go around with ruler sticks.
If city didn't pay them 50k/yr for writing tickets, maybe they wouldn't need to so strick to make the money back.
In your eyes yes you're only an inch off of the bylaw or roughly 2.5 cm but now you're like 32.5 cm from the curb. Shiet even 30 cm is pretty far imo already.

It's a tough gig for sure, there's no winning being a PEO. The stories I hear from people working as one you can't pay me enough to be an officer. Being yelled at on the daily, assaulted in some cases, depending if you have a car being out rain or shine. I even hear some of them will take off their uniforms just to eat lunch because they've had people in restaurants just giving them an earful.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-02-2018, 09:12 PM   #39
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
So yellow paint is the parking mark?

I've seen mofo parking right at the stop sign lol.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:40 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post

I've seen mofo parking right at the stop sign lol.
Yea yellow pain you see on the curbs are there to indicate where you can park i.e. distance from a driveway etc.

Be warned though not to take it too accurately because depending on which City you're in, those lines were just painted by a random person. In Vancouver for example the City does not paint yellow lines so any you see in Vancouver were done by someone else. Can't quote on other municipalities though.

This post thanked by:
Old 12-03-2018, 09:24 AM   #41
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Yeah, they're double dipping... those meters don't update. It's all in their database now. It only shows time on the meters if people are still using coins or CC.

Those days are getting more rare, where I pull over and my wife gets out to check the few meters around for any leftover time from a previous parked car, lol.

Apparently, I think you're only allowed to park at the same meter for 2 hours per day as well.
That's what I thought. So does the app tell you how much time left on the meter if you punch in the meter number? If not I think they should be more transparent with that info. If I park at the meter and there is 10 mins left, at least that will give 10 mins to someone else parking there. I rather give that 10 mins to someone than that 10 mins to the city.
teggy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:34 AM   #42

^ they're probably non-transferrable, just like you can't pass off your bus ticket to the next guy even if's still valid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportPsycho View Post
of all the sketchy driving i see in richmond, that's what gets a ticket huh..

if it's within a marked lane, that's crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
yellow painted curb = illegal to park, according to icbc drivers' manual

Last edited by twitchyzero; 12-03-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:03 PM   #43
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed2K View Post
I think they should start ticketing cars that are parked too far out into laneways. Sometimes I wonder how an emergency vehicle can get by with all the cars that are parked in alleys now.
Yes with all the laneway houses and extra suites now, you can't drive straight down the alley anymore. You need to zig zag and drive up on people's patch of property (that strip between the alleyway and their fence or their driveway) to go in between parked cars.

I don't get how the neighbour across doesn't complain because many are clearly impending their garage or driveway access. It's not completely blocking but it makes it hard because they don't want to hit your car.

I know there are bylaws about parking in alleys but I guess it only gets enforced when someone complains

Maybe they need to start adding signage in alleys (not like it'll stop it)
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:08 PM   #44
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
I call into bylaws occasionally if somone is parked in front of my house.

Most of the "parking by permit" signs are bullshit as most havent got permits in decades. However, where i live we do not have a lane/parking spot/garage, and my little block has signs specifically designating "only residents of this block" may park here.

So when some house that is overflowing with suites/tenants starts parking there and i cant park in front of my own house where my cameras can see my vehicles, it becomes an issue. People get the message pretty quick even with a warning

Also, i dont really care for people who put buckets and shit out front of your house trying to reserve spots.. if there is no signage, that spot is not yours.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:29 PM   #45
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Quote:
That's what I thought. So does the app tell you how much time left on the meter if you punch in the meter number? If not I think they should be more transparent with that info. If I park at the meter and there is 10 mins left, at least that will give 10 mins to someone else parking there. I rather give that 10 mins to someone than that 10 mins to the city.
No way to update that. The coin meter isn't connected to any network. It's also cost prohibited.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:31 PM   #46
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
5 from a Fire Hydrant and 6 from a Stop/Sidewalk. 5-F 6-S Not to hard to follow.

Berz out.
5 meters from a hydrant? I can see why but that's annoying, I have a hydrant in my front yard and I don't think my driveway is even 5m away. Though I don't think there's anywhere on my street that you can park that isn't technically a violation of something or another.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:28 PM   #47
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I guess they dropped the review on reducing the distance restriction to 2.5m for fire hydrants? I believe even the fire chief (surrey or vancouver) said the current bylaw is outdated.
cafe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:06 AM   #48
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Depends on the person. The meter number is first column then the plate number. If they really care they will look at the plate number as well.
l2_narain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:08 AM   #49
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafe22 View Post
I guess they dropped the review on reducing the distance restriction to 2.5m for fire hydrants? I believe even the fire chief (surrey or vancouver) said the current bylaw is outdated.
City of Surrey fire chief and it's still in motion (it will be years before it's recognized)
l2_narain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:47 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I call into bylaws occasionally if somone is parked in front of my house.

Most of the "parking by permit" signs are bullshit as most havent got permits in decades. However, where i live we do not have a lane/parking spot/garage, and my little block has signs specifically designating "only residents of this block" may park here.

So when some house that is overflowing with suites/tenants starts parking there and i cant park in front of my own house where my cameras can see my vehicles, it becomes an issue. People get the message pretty quick even with a warning

Also, i dont really care for people who put buckets and shit out front of your house trying to reserve spots.. if there is no signage, that spot is not yours.
The spot is never "yours" anyway. Sure, in the bylaw it states if there is no signs only the resident of the house can legally park in front of said house for as long as they want where as the rest adhere to the 3hr bylaw but that doesn't mean people can put buckets. Honestly, when I come across it i just get out and throw the bucket across the boulevard and park.

This post thanked by: