REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:12 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,825 Times in 3,905 Posts
bylaws working hard in residential areas

sorry i park like an asshole, but was surprised this got a ticket. I broke the law so i'm paying the ticket, but they're pretty unforgiving even if you're not blocking anyone's visibility/access on a non-busy street...i've had cases like these on streets with minimal traffic towed before

so make sure you bring the meter stick if you're the last vehicle at the end of the block

i've also received ticket before in front of my family's house for parking the wrong way on a residential side street for like 15 min just to go inside to grab something...CoV doesn't mess around

interested to hear if there are other assholes on here who get ticketed for rather minor things (maybe parked more than 30cm from curb?, wheels not oriented correctly on a hill? etc).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wut.jpg (49.2 KB, 0 views)
Advertisement
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2018, 10:53 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

I think one of your neighbor's have a strong dislike for you.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:08 AM   #3
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,297 Times in 1,975 Posts
The new VI
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:17 AM   #4
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,841 Times in 1,484 Posts
Too close to driveway? I don’t see what’s wrong. Lol
Old 11-30-2018, 06:36 AM   #5
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,767 Times in 909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
sorry i park like an asshole, but was surprised this got a ticket. I broke the law so i'm paying the ticket, but they're pretty unforgiving even if you're not blocking anyone's visibility/access on a non-busy street...i've had cases like these on streets with minimal traffic towed before

so make sure you bring the meter stick if you're the last vehicle at the end of the block

i've also received ticket before in front of my family's house for parking the wrong way on a residential side street for like 15 min just to go inside to grab something...CoV doesn't mess around

interested to hear if there are other assholes on here who get ticketed for rather minor things (maybe parked more than 30cm from curb?, wheels not oriented correctly on a hill? etc).
Too close tot he corner ticket and a parking the wrong way in the past.

You either live in a highly patrolled area i.e Kits/West End etc or someone living there is the parking police but yea the too close to the corner one is pretty deadly. I see people do it all the time either because they don't care or people don't realize just how far you need to be.

If there's no sidewalk you need to be 9m from the corner and if there is a sidewalk 6m!

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:41 AM   #6

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
How about to driveways? My street is messed up. There’s a ditch on one side with no room for parking and on the sidewalk size there’s a bunch of weird sized gaps that don’t fit cars well. But since everyone has a basement suite renter the streets always full so peeps have to cram in
Old 11-30-2018, 08:22 AM   #7
HELP ME PLS!!!

kinda a dick move to get ticketted for those small things, but to be fair, how hard is it to drive your car around and park on the proper side?

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2018, 08:40 AM   #8
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
5 from a Fire Hydrant and 6 from a Stop/Sidewalk. 5-F 6-S Not to hard to follow.

Berz out.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:38 AM   #9
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,767 Times in 909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
How about to driveways? My street is messed up. There’s a ditch on one side with no room for parking and on the sidewalk size there’s a bunch of weird sized gaps that don’t fit cars well. But since everyone has a basement suite renter the streets always full so peeps have to cram in
Driveways are 1.5 m

https://vancouver.ca/streets-transpo...and-lanes.aspx

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2018, 10:42 AM   #10
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
My folks live in a quiet residential neighboorhood, i remember one time i had parked my car in the opposite direction while doing some work on moms car in the garage for about an hour. When I came out to do musical chairs with cars I found a ticket for facing wrong direction on my windshield.

People dont play around when it comes to bylaws.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:09 AM   #11
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,987 Times in 1,692 Posts
So who's actually enforcing these bylaws? Are people patrolling around or do they have to be reported in by a bystander?

In many cases, these 1.5m / 6m from sidewalk bylaws are rarely followed for practical reasons.

There are even metered parking spots all over the city that don't abide by these rules. Given it's a metered spot, it's obviously a legitimate spot though. So where's the consistency.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:12 AM   #12
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,315 Times in 2,518 Posts
What's the point of ticketing someone for parking facing the wrong direction on some small residential side street? If it is a resident's doing, that person is a dick. If it was the bylaw officer taking the initiative to do it, the bylaw officer is a dick. Suck a dick move.

The wifey was recently picking up Grandma and the little person at a medical building on Broadway. It was pouring rain, and the space immediately in front of the medical building was already stopped full with other cars doing the same thing. So the wifey made the decision to stop just in front, which was a bus stop. Grandma and the little person hopped in. Wifey strapped the little person in at record speed, and they drove off.

2.5 weeks later, we get a bylaw violation notice through the mail saying that we have not paid for our bylaw violation ticket -- a ticket that we never received. And because the 14 day early discount has expired, we would now have to pay the full $100 amount. Checked the CoV website, and apparently this bullshxt is legit:

https://vancouver.ca/streets-transpo...-disputes.aspx
https://vancouver.ca/streets-transpo...d-by-mail.aspx

In particular, the ticket is valid even when it has never been served either to the driver, or placed on the vehicle. All we had was a crappy digital photo showing my wife's car with her brake lights engaged and stopped beside the curb when I looked up the ticket.

I called in to ask about the situation, and the City Hall lady was actually very nice and friendly. She voluntarily offered to reduce the ticket back to the discounted amount for another 14 or 15 days after seeing the photo.

The wifey broke the bylaw and she got caught, so I paid the ticket. But man... these bylaw officers... they definitely don't play around.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:47 AM   #13

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
I wonder what bylaw officer got doxxed
Old 11-30-2018, 12:35 PM   #14
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
What's the point of ticketing someone for parking facing the wrong direction on some small residential side street? If it is a resident's doing, that person is a dick. If it was the bylaw officer taking the initiative to do it, the bylaw officer is a dick. Suck a dick move.

The wifey was recently picking up Grandma and the little person at a medical building on Broadway. It was pouring rain, and the space immediately in front of the medical building was already stopped full with other cars doing the same thing. So the wifey made the decision to stop just in front, which was a bus stop. Grandma and the little person hopped in. Wifey strapped the little person in at record speed, and they drove off.

2.5 weeks later, we get a bylaw violation notice through the mail saying that we have not paid for our bylaw violation ticket -- a ticket that we never received. And because the 14 day early discount has expired, we would now have to pay the full $100 amount. Checked the CoV website, and apparently this bullshxt is legit:

https://vancouver.ca/streets-transpo...-disputes.aspx
https://vancouver.ca/streets-transpo...d-by-mail.aspx

In particular, the ticket is valid even when it has never been served either to the driver, or placed on the vehicle. All we had was a crappy digital photo showing my wife's car with her brake lights engaged and stopped beside the curb when I looked up the ticket.

I called in to ask about the situation, and the City Hall lady was actually very nice and friendly. She voluntarily offered to reduce the ticket back to the discounted amount for another 14 or 15 days after seeing the photo.

The wifey broke the bylaw and she got caught, so I paid the ticket. But man... these bylaw officers... they definitely don't play around.
I've worked at store fronts in front of bus stops.. You would be surprised how many times someone thinks blocking the stop is okay. Then the bus pulls up, and you need to remember most bus stops are after an intersection. So now someones blocking their stop which is only sized for a bus and now the bus is blocking the intersection. As much of a convenience it was for your wife to pick up the family it would've caused an inconvenience if a bus was there. Now the people taking the bus can't get off and those waiting cant get on, cause legally a bus cant let you on and off unless you're at the stop.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:36 PM   #15

yes the image is taken in Kits, just started working here

the other day I saw some guy parking 2m from the stop sign, told him i've tried that before and got towed haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by carisear View Post
kinda a dick move to get ticketted for those small things, but to be fair, how hard is it to drive your car around and park on the proper side?
if it's a quiet residential block and just temporarily parked, i dont see why it's a big deal

you can argue pulling away from curb your vis is limited if wrong way, but why do they make RHD vehicles like some Canada Post trucks legal then since their vision is limited 100% of the time pulling away from a fully parked street?

as is parking less than 6m but still one solid car length away to the right side of an intersection, you're gonna be looking left prior to entering the intersection inching forward to look right, i feel it's quite draconian to enforce them on non-commercial side streets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
5 from a Fire Hydrant and 6 from a Stop/Sidewalk. 5-F 6-S Not to hard to follow.

Berz out.
makes no sense why fire hydrant is less than a standard intersection
esp if you see emergency vehicles that has huge labels on their back please keep back ____ metres.

Last edited by twitchyzero; 11-30-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-88 View Post
I've worked at store fronts in front of bus stops.. You would be surprised how many times someone thinks blocking the stop is okay. Then the bus pulls up, and you need to remember most bus stops are after an intersection. So now someones blocking their stop which is only sized for a bus and now the bus is blocking the intersection. As much of a convenience it was for your wife to pick up the family it would've caused an inconvenience if a bus was there. Now the people taking the bus can't get off and those waiting cant get on, cause legally a bus cant let you on and off unless you're at the stop.
If a bus arrived, I'm sure she would have moved out of the way right away. That's what I would have done, and I trust that she'd do the same.

But anyway, that's beside the point. She broke a bylaw, got caught, and we paid the fine.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:01 PM   #17
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
yes the image is taken in Kits, just started working here

the other day I saw some guy parking 2m from the stop sign, told him i've tried that before and got towed haha

if it's a quiet residential block and just temporarily parked, i dont see why it's a big deal

you can argue pulling away from curb your vis is limited if wrong way, but why do they make RHD vehicles like some Canada Post trucks legal then since their vision is limited 100% of the time pulling away from a fully parked street?

as is parking less than 6m but still one solid car length away to the right side of an intersection, you're gonna be looking left prior to entering the intersection inching forward to look right, i feel it's quite draconian to enforce them on non-commercial side streets

makes no sense why fire hydrant is less than a standard intersection
esp if you see emergency vehicles that has huge labels on their back please keep back ____ metres.
5m either direction gives 10m to access the Hydrant and run hoses. They aren't trying to park their truck in the spot just allow room to maneuver.

Berz out.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:05 PM   #18
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I think they should start ticketing cars that are parked too far out into laneways. Sometimes I wonder how an emergency vehicle can get by with all the cars that are parked in alleys now.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:11 PM   #19
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I work in Richmond where the street parking is really tight and usually full before 830am. On many occasions there are vehicles that block our office's driveway or get within 1.5m of the driveway, obstructing vision when trying to come out. The Richmond Bylaw officers come by all the time to give tickets because everyday someone gets caught. Our landlord ended up painting a yellow mark 1.5m each side of the driveway so people stop doing it and no one has received tickets since.

The question is, if the City is so worried about blocking vision or emergency access, can't they just paint yellow lines on the curb around intersections/hydrants and stop people from parking there?
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2018, 01:25 PM   #20
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
So who's actually enforcing these bylaws? Are people patrolling around or do they have to be reported in by a bystander?

In many cases, these 1.5m / 6m from sidewalk bylaws are rarely followed for practical reasons.

There are even metered parking spots all over the city that don't abide by these rules. Given it's a metered spot, it's obviously a legitimate spot though. So where's the consistency.
Nobody is patrolling...it's a neighbor reporting it.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:05 PM   #21
Banned (ABWS)?

Quote:

The situation is frustrating, but at the end of the day, I'll be more upset about bystanders reporting issues like these. They aren't hurting anyone and no one's getting paid to do it.

The bylaw officers on the other hand are simply just doing their job and getting paid to do it well.

I try to put those things in perspective, like when I get a ticket at 15:03, cause the sign says no parking from 9:30a-3pm. I literally saw the guy writing my ticket as I was heading back to move my car. Whenever your job is to enforce rules, people getting caught will always feel like they got screwed over.

I've also been ticketed before for parking in a meter and making a quick errand. But I saw a meter maid from a distance checking all the meters, so I turned around and went back to my car to drive off. 2 weeks later, I see a ticket mailed to my house with my plates and a short description of my ethnicity, gender, etc. just to prove they were able to identify whom was the driver.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:19 PM   #22

I know what you're saying, AzNighmare. It's just that I don't agree with the bylaw officer being so by-the-book strict. Chill out a bit, cut people so slack, and show some leniency, you know? It's a parking violation, not a murder case.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:38 PM   #23
Banned (ABWS)?

Quote:
I know what you're saying, AzNighmare. It's just that I don't agree with the bylaw officer being so by-the-book strict. Chill out a bit, cut people so slack, and show some leniency, you know? It's a parking violation, not a murder case.
lol, I get it. I'm just saying they're paid to not be "so chilled out". But I think the city knows it's not that serious, so they just leave it up to the discretion of the bylaw officers and if they let a few slip, then it just balances out with the officers that are hard ball. I would like to think that sometimes, I've evaded tickets without knowing so, because it's not like those guys are gonna leave a note with a warning on your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmeister View Post
The question is, if the City is so worried about blocking vision or emergency access, can't they just paint yellow lines on the curb around intersections/hydrants and stop people from parking there?
It's a good idea, but I think it would be a waste of money to paint every single intersection (Although that seems to be a better use of taxpayers money than some other projects that happen, lol). Sometimes you'll see the signs that indicate not to stop beyond.

People use this spot every day.... It's rather close to the stop sign, but it's painted yellow to clearly indicate that IT IS a parking spot to begin with, and to park behind the yellow curb.

But you can barely fit a car there, and that's definitely not 1.5m from the entrance way. That's almost like an entrapment if it was by the book. And my friend eventually did get a ticket. lol. The picture had a tape measure to show he wasn't 1.5m from the entrance way. Seems like there's no consistency..
Old 11-30-2018, 05:36 PM   #24

^ the 1.5m starts where the curb is raised again to normal height, crazy that you can be towed for being too close to drive-way/laneway

in my case of parking wrong way in a low traffic residential area, i do believe it was a passerby/neighbour that reported it

yes don't drop-off at bus stops, they'll ticket you 100% if seen

relevant yellow painted curb rant in an old Province piece:

Quote:
wishes they would apply the distance rules with more common sense. She had just got out of her car on Friday, when she turned around to see a traffic cop ticketing her for being within six metres of a stop sign.

“I know there’s no point in arguing with the ticket person, but it’s infuriating. Just tell me to move,” she said. “To be able to have that regular human nicety to move your car just seems like common sense.”
http://www.theprovince.com/news/Vanc...237/story.html

these meter maids are on the ball and doing a helluva fine job, i'll at least give them that.

Last edited by twitchyzero; 11-30-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:45 PM   #25
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I've gotten a ticket before for parking behind my garage facing the wrong way in the alley. I was only there about an hour before getting the ticket, last time I parked facing the wrong direction in my alley.

The bylaw guys are always out where I live looking to ticket for anything they can.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: