REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-19-2018, 05:25 AM   #26
I don't get it

Didn't we recently realise that stop and search was a terrible policy that ends up creating more resentment than results?

This seems to come from the same line of thought. Everyone is guilty until they can show themselves as innocent. This is not progress.
Advertisement
Dbone is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2018, 08:00 AM   #27
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,438 Times in 5,110 Posts
Not a fan of this either... is there such an increase in issues that warrants it?
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2018, 08:38 AM   #28
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
I don't drink but never have a problem at road blocks.

I roll up to a road block. They ask if I've been drinking, I say no, I don't drink. They look at me. Ask me "Would you take a breathalyzer." Without hesitation, I go Yes. Cop then just tells me I can go. Works all the time.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:04 AM   #29
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
"Anything to drink tonight"
"No"
"Where are you coming from/going?"
"You aren't allowed to ask me that"
"Pull over there"

Guys, road block harassment has been going on for ages. If you aren't drinking and driving you have nothing to worry about. Soon it will be accepted and it will just be a part of the traffic stop.
"Hello, License and insurance papers please. Blow here"

Berz out.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:07 AM   #30
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
I've had a breathalizer before. It was a waste of everyones time.

Going through a road block, I tell him no. He asks me to pull over because he smells alcohol (I don't drink). He asks me for my license and asks why I'm not wearing corrective lenses, I tell him I'm wearing contacts. He tells me to step out of the car because my eyes are glassy which is an indication of heavy drinking. I tell him again that I'm wearing contacts and he's not looking at my eyes. Had me take a breathalizer, I blow a big fat 0. He throws my license back at me and told me to get lost. I pick it up off the ground and drive off.

I don't know where he was getting the alcohol smell from, I had literally just replaced my brake pads and took it out for a spin. Maybe it was the smell of the cleaning solvents I was using but it smells way different from the alcohol that you drink.
Just sounds like you are making his job more difficult. I would bet that if you just took a breathe without much protest, he at least wouldn't throw your license on the ground.

Put yourself in his shoes... If someone is protesting like this, I think you'd be pretty pissed as well.

I do agree with the VI concern, but isn't that just VPD? Now RCMP is getting involved as well?
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-19-2018, 09:14 AM   #31
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
So there is gonna be road side checks with them making everyone do a breathe test Causing a Huge Grid lock for blocks going down the street???....

I wonder if that line can get so huge you could just pull out and drive the other way
As I mentioned, I doubt this will change the way they work. They probably still won't waste their time on you if you work with them. It merely just backs their action up a bit better if it's warranted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
"No"
"Pull over there"

Guys, road block harassment has been going on for ages. If you aren't drinking and driving you have nothing to worry about. Soon it will be accepted and it will just be a part of the traffic stop.

Berz out.
Literally, they will accept any reason. I always say I am just out for a night drive or just going home. Never had a problem.

Again, if you think your answer will cause a problem, then don't say it.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:42 AM   #32
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
"No"
"Pull over there"

Berz out.
It seems like it's always the guys that want to play lawyer are the ones who get harrassed.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2018, 10:38 AM   #33
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Exactly. Act like a dick and get treated like a dick. Simple concept that people just don't seem to understand. lol

Berz out.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:57 AM   #34
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,697 Times in 1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
If you have to prove your innocence without justified reasoning, that's being presumed guilty until you prove otherwise.

How do you feel about Stop & Frisk and Papers, Please policies of years gone by?
No, they are intent on proving your guilt by asking you to blow, and if you hadn't been drinking, you have no issues.

Even if they smell alcohol or you're slurring, they ask you to blow - presumed innocence until the breathalyzer reveals otherwise.

As for the second comment, I already answered that - I disagree with them. But for DUIs, fine by me.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:39 AM   #35
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Alot of the support for this is from people saying things like "you'd be in favor if you lost a loved one to a drunk driver too"

Yes. Drunk drivers should be taken off the road. But 2 beers with dinner, isn't the drunk driver thats killing family members.

In the past, you usually would pass the 'observation' test if you were capable of driving safely. Now, you're getting a DUI at 0.051 which is LESS than the legal impaired limit.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:11 PM   #36
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,924 Times in 3,877 Posts
Some stats: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/dr..._2008-2017.pdf

Impaired driving is still the second highest contributing factor to fatalities and has the highest crash fatality rate by a large margin. I'd also argue it's the most easily avoided of all the top factors. Maybe once people stop killing everyones friends and families some of these complaints might sound even vaguely justified, but until then just be polite, blow in the tube and go about your day.

The mild inconvenience of having to do that doesn't hold a candle to having a loved one needlessly killed because someone decided to be a douchebag.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2018, 12:20 PM   #37
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
I've had a breathalizer before. It was a waste of everyones time.

Going through a road block, I tell him no. He asks me to pull over because he smells alcohol (I don't drink). He asks me for my license and asks why I'm not wearing corrective lenses, I tell him I'm wearing contacts. He tells me to step out of the car because my eyes are glassy which is an indication of heavy drinking. I tell him again that I'm wearing contacts and he's not looking at my eyes. Had me take a breathalizer, I blow a big fat 0. He throws my license back at me and told me to get lost. I pick it up off the ground and drive off.

I don't know where he was getting the alcohol smell from, I had literally just replaced my brake pads and took it out for a spin. Maybe it was the smell of the cleaning solvents I was using but it smells way different from the alcohol that you drink.
Stories like these always make me intrigued how much of it is exaggerated, how much is omitted, and any other things that were left out.

I don't doubt there can be dick power tripping officers, but I've yet to deal with one. Every officer I've dealt with have been professional. Last cop I've dealt with was all smiling and talking about my mods while giving me my speeding ticket, lol.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2018, 01:26 PM   #38
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,279 Times in 1,968 Posts
I've always been under the impression that:
  1. Walking down a public street is a right
  2. Driving down a public street is a privilege

I'm okay with the necessary precautions needed in taking stupid drunks off the road.

Also:

If one barista gives me a coffee with attitude, I won't say all baristas are terrible people with bad attitudes. I like to apply that same view to cops.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:36 PM   #39
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,697 Times in 1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
Alot of the support for this is from people saying things like "you'd be in favor if you lost a loved one to a drunk driver too"

Yes. Drunk drivers should be taken off the road. But 2 beers with dinner, isn't the drunk driver thats killing family members.

In the past, you usually would pass the 'observation' test if you were capable of driving safely. Now, you're getting a DUI at 0.051 which is LESS than the legal impaired limit.
Thinking like that is why DUIs are still so prevalent.

It's not the 2 beers with dinner that kill people, it's the complacent people who have been driving after drinking 2 beers that think they 'know their limit', and are fine because it was just one or two beers that kill people.

Nevermind how 2 beers will affect people of different weight differently, how much food you ate, medication you're taking, stress levels, and other factors that drastically change how those "2 beers" affect someone. Maybe you really were fine after 2 beers when you were 35. But now you're 50, but hey, still "only 2 beers" right?

Also, if you know you're going to drive, is not drinking 2 beers during dinner that much of a hassle? I've managed to do it since I got my license, so should anybody else.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #40
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Once you give up rights you will not get them back. The government and the police would like nothing more than to increase their power.

Between this and the law stating you cannot drive a car WITHIN (including before) two hours of being intoxicated. With the .05 charge your don't even get the right to dispute it, you get an immediate 3 day suspension. Then if you go to court there's a reverse onus to prove that you were innocent. Which effectively makes the police judge, jury and executioner

I think most people agree that drunk driving is bad, no need to bring that into this argument.

Last edited by vitaminG; 12-22-2018 at 07:52 PM.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2018, 05:36 PM   #41
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,340 Times in 5,649 Posts
Just keep willingly giving away rights and options to defend yourself until you’ve got nothing left!
Old 12-19-2018, 05:42 PM   #42
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Just sounds like you are making his job more difficult. I would bet that if you just took a breathe without much protest, he at least wouldn't throw your license on the ground.

Put yourself in his shoes... If someone is protesting like this, I think you'd be pretty pissed as well.

I do agree with the VI concern, but isn't that just VPD? Now RCMP is getting involved as well?
No protest from me. I dunno how you read it as me giving him a hard time... He asked questions, I answered them. Maybe he was getting pissed because he smelled alcohol but I kept insisting I did not have a drop which was the truth. Probably thought I was lying through my teeth.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:19 PM   #43
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
I'm ok with this, but it would be nice if things like Uber, and the SkyTrain running later on weekends would follow suit.
agreed that it's currently a barrier compared to other cities, but having to find/be a DD isn't the end of the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
With the .05 charge your don't even get the right to dispute it, you get an immediate 3 day suspension.

exactly how are you gonna defend yourself in court if you blow over 0.05?
it's unequivocal
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:50 PM   #44
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post

I used to think this way too.
about the only thing i learned from the mandatory course, and this really should have been obvious, is that ANY amount of alcohol in the blood slows reaction time. That is fact. Sometimes a fraction of a second can mean the difference between plowing into that jagoff who pulled in front and swerving to miss him. Two beers, and even one beer can make all the difference when we're talking about such a short timeframe.

If i had to count how many prohibitions I'd gotten in my younger years, I'd literally have to use toes. So I'm not in any position to pass judgment or harp. Just throwing it out there to think about is all. Cuz it seems like common sense but admittedly i never really looked at it that way.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:58 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Not a fan of this either... is there such an increase in issues that warrants it?
Read the bill.
It's not about drunk driving. Cops can usually detect alcohol well enough to issue a breathalyzer without the need to do spontaneous checks.
What they can't detect is if someone maued a couple brownies an hour before getting behind the wheel.
Read the bill. It's laid out very obviously.
-Norm Franz
Old 12-19-2018, 10:15 PM   #46
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Read the bill.

What they can't detect is if someone maued a couple brownies an hour before getting behind the wheel.
Except that the new mandatory breathalyzer rules don't apply to marijuana. They still need reasonable grounds before they can administer marijuana tests. So this doesn't really help that issue
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:20 PM   #47

Are you sure? Because i thought it was pretty clear.
I read again
-Norm Franz
Old 12-19-2018, 10:22 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Are you sure? Because i thought it was pretty clear.
I read again
I've read and dissected that part of the bill. I made a post about it on another site with the exact references, but too lazy now to find that post and put it here.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 12-19-2018, 10:33 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Except that the new mandatory breathalyzer rules don't apply to marijuana. They still need reasonable grounds before they can administer marijuana tests. So this doesn't really help that issue
Edit: kk yea you're right. Need reasonable grounds to suspect for drug testing.
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 12-19-2018 at 10:52 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:33 PM   #50

Ah here it is:

Quote:

Section 320.27
"Mandatory alcohol screening"

(2) If a peace officer has in his or her possession an approved screening device, the peace officer may, in the course of the lawful exercise of powers under an Act of Parliament or an Act of a provincial legislature or arising at common law, by demand, require the person who is operating a motor vehicle to immediately provide the samples of breath that, in the peace officer’s opinion, are necessary to enable a proper analysis to be made by means of that device and to accompany the peace officer for that purpose.
Note the word Alcohol in Mandatory alcohol screening.

This is from the bill that received assent, not the proposed bill you're reading from.

http://www.parl.ca/DocumentViewer/en...6/royal-assent
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by: