REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-26-2019, 10:37 AM   #26
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Many pieces were cut by the computer, but the hood, front chrome pieces, and A pillars were done by hand and he wrapped the protection around the edges. I had him take the A pillars all the way past the back windows and a 5" strip behind the sunroof to protect the paint from my roof rack.

Fender to door gap - you can see a few mm of the edge.

Here is where the A pillar protection ended

The pillar protection was wrapped 2" inside the door sill

The computer cut mirror pieces - the whole front is covered but it pulls away over 1/2" near the back

The headlights and chrome are all wrapped with no edges

The hood was completely wrapped - no lines on top at all.

This is the largest noticeable gap other than the mirror - this is the fender to A pillar

Advertisement
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2019, 11:05 AM   #27
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
yeah i would ask why the edge is quite far from the lip of the mirror cap

everyone seems to rave aboue xpel but llumar/suntek has hydrophobic properties built-in
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2019, 11:58 AM   #28

The more I was reading about the Suntek Ultra, the more I was comfortable with it being the one I was using. Apparently it will also let more shine through from the metallic paint. I have my 10 year warranty card and receipt fot the work as well. Here is one thread I read on the SunTek Ultra: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1468323

Anyways, I have a $40k Jetta that I put over 40k a year on, my last car looked sandblasted and I needed to replace my headlight covers 4 times on it, so for the price and the decent quality, I am quite happy with this application. It will never be a show car but at least it has some paint protection at an ethical price.

I went to Street Legal Tint in North Van for a quote as I was in the area, and they wanted $3000 for the same material, same application. Street Legal wanted $600 for the tint on the windows I want - and Brookswood is going to do it for $150 to install with the same tint I am ordering - SunTek HP Blue 50. Yuki didn't have this in stock as it isn't common and the roll is expensive as he has to bring in 100' at a time, so I ordered 25' of it from Tint Center online which will cost about $200 CDN after exchange; making it $350 for the window tint vs $600. Good enough for my Jetta.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:58 AM   #29
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
From what I was told Suntek will have more gloss and more clear but it's thinner. Xpel is thicker but not as clear as the Suntek.

The last picture looks like a hand cut, usually all the panels are tucked so you can't see the lines but the overall job looks pretty good for $1k. What film was used?
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:03 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
From what I was told Suntek will have more gloss and more clear but it's thinner. Xpel is thicker but not as clear as the Suntek.

The last picture looks like a hand cut, usually all the panels are tucked so you can't see the lines but the overall job looks pretty good for $1k. What film was used?
The film is SunTek Ultra. Yeah, I was okay with PH Solar's quote for just the front clip using Xpel for $1600, but the lack of reply made me look elsewhere. Apparently the film is the same thickness, Xpel uses thicker adhesives which kills the lustre a bit more.

I could see if I had an exoctic like yours, Harvey, I would demand full wrapped edges, but for the $1000 taxes in on a Jetta - I'm rolling just fine with the budget and the function over form. Brookswood Tint had a steady stream of new cars from dealers coming through his shop, so the local car dealers trust him to do their work.

Last edited by Zedbra; 01-26-2019 at 12:10 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2019, 10:36 PM   #31
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Thanked 1,393 Times in 191 Posts
I’ve used Glossworks based out of Coquitlam. He makes XPEL templates that go past the edges so he can wrap around most straight edges so there is no likely hood of a loose edge coming loose. I’ve had it on my car for over three years and it’s perfectly on there! It’s also a pretty penny to make it look right so there is little sign of wrapping done.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:28 PM   #32

i have nothing else to compare it to but for the money, yuki @ brookswood is amazing

he spent some time prep yesterday afternoon

then spent most of the day wrapping the full front including lip

on dark gray exterior it's invisible with a nice gloss, only until I'm an inch away with a flashlight can i trace the edges

the area around tow-hook point is a bit rough but that's super nitpicking...mirror was two piece but turned out well

he didn't do the A pillars which is kinda my bad as i didn't clarify...the non-glossy plastic grille in front of the horn/rad was not covered, i didn't mind...but he did cover the glossy part where the license plate sits

he's basically a one man show so dont expect quick email replies...he's also currently wrapping a black CTR

im sure if you spend 2-3x more you could get something absolutely flawless, but i'm really satisfied with how it turned out
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2019, 03:48 AM   #33

^ let's see a few pics, I have no idea what car/truck you drive. Call Yuki and ask about the A-pillars, he only added $100 when I asked about mine and did them just the way I asked him to, all the way to the back window.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:39 PM   #34

nothing fancy just a miata, snapped a potato pic in dim garage last night

slightly rough corner tow hook cover and roughly 3-4mm uncovered where the front bumper is heavily creased (i'm assuming if done it would cause bubble easily). i'm usually very anal but not bothered by this surprisingly, not visible unless going with a fine-tooth comb

surprised you go back and forth btw squamish and langley a fair bit...i might do it for i'm out in the valley but dont wanna waste a whole afternoon for just A pillars haha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190225_211828.jpg (115.6 KB, 0 views)
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2019, 07:26 PM   #35

now wanting to cover the rest of the panels...looked at ceramic coating but quite spendy for what it is

brookswood said he doesn't have template for the doors/rear bumper

prefer to keep it suntek ultra for better match

anyone tried vancouver clear bra? good google reviews and apparently does porsche center's fleet but his website is awful