REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-31-2019, 11:53 PM   #76
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,101 Times in 351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallardo View Post
I am surprised no one threw into this mix a G-Wagon already...

Or maybe, just maybe a Range Rover Sport. Serious.
Been hearing some crazy numbers for G-Wagen order wait list. But it may be all hype as the luxury market is dead in Vancouver.

I may be biased running a Land Rover store, but a $110k Sport Dynamic V8 is gobs of fun, handles like it's on rails and sounds like hell. Can't imagine a V6 Cayenne nearing $125k. Yikes. These things go through auction and absolutely take a bath in the first 1-2 years.

Given the OP is a cash purchaser, I would suggest waiting for a lightly pre-owned model that will likely be optioned higher. Very few cash/finance buyers on newer product so you have leverage negotiating.

Hopefully Porsche has sorted the button insanity they have going on. One of the most distracting vehicles I have driven in recent years. Not to mention the utterly disappointing interior. $100k + cars without back-up cameras or navigation. What a joke. An absolute trap to appraise.

Porsche has done a good job fooling the masses by undersupplying the market marginally compared to overall demand. It continues the perception in the stores that vehicles are by order only and months away. Other manufacturers could do it too, but their interest is just to channel stuff retailers as much as possible (like what Porsche is doing with last gen Macan).

I think your vehicle will come well before what the dealer has quoted. I suspect the new Cayenne market is soft save for export. Some evidence is the 3% off on a new for 2019 vehicle. I would expect July/August delivery given current lead times from Europe. Enjoy!

Kev

PS: Luxury tax on $150k + is actually 26%, not 25. NDP decided the logical calculation is (Sales price * PST) * GST. So basically you are paying 5% GST on 20% PST. While they may have given you 3% off your build, keep in mind they will charge freight/pdi/dealer fees and this could push you back above $125k and consequently bumping you into the next tax bracket up on luxury vehicles.
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2019, 02:13 AM   #77
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
I may be biased running a Land Rover store, but a $110k Sport Dynamic V8 is gobs of fun, handles like it's on rails and sounds like hell. Can't imagine a V6 Cayenne nearing $125k. Yikes. These things go through auction and absolutely take a bath in the first 1-2 years.
Thanks for the suggestion, and I certainly appreciate where you're coming from, but I don't really think you're giving the Cayenne S enough credit in terms of driving dynamics / pleasure. My Porsche will beat any RR Sport except the SVR (which is maybe 0.2s quicker to 60?) in a straight line, and would crush any of them on a real race track... the Cayenne is ~400 pounds lighter than any V8 RR, and it's arguably the sportiest SUV on the market (except for the Urus, anyway).

Not saying the RR isn't a blast, and I'd really love the V8 sound (the RR absolutely beats the V6 Cayenne motors in that regard), but I'd actually have to pay MORE for a Range Rover that compares in terms of on-road performance (the SVR w/ MSRP of $134k).

Resale value is something I hadn't really taken into consideration as I plan on keeping the car for 6-8 years (passing it on to my wife when I get bored of it, haha) but a few quick Craigslist searches seem to indicate that prices are pretty comparable to the RR Sport after a year or two. You could be right though, I definitely don't run a Land Rover store so I will defer to your expertise on resale haha.

Disclaimer here: I really like the RR Sport, as I mentioned in a previous post in this thread, and I think it looks the best of any SUV in that market segment right now.... but its a bit too big and truck-like in my opinion, and the falls short of the new Porsche interior.

Quote:
Given the OP is a cash purchaser, I would suggest waiting for a lightly pre-owned model that will likely be optioned higher. Very few cash/finance buyers on newer product so you have leverage negotiating.

Hopefully Porsche has sorted the button insanity they have going on. One of the most distracting vehicles I have driven in recent years. Not to mention the utterly disappointing interior. $100k + cars without back-up cameras or navigation. What a joke. An absolute trap to appraise.
Man, I dunno... pretty sure a LOT of the people buying new cars from my local Porsche dealer are buying in cash. Could be different in other places though.

Buying a slightly used model is not really something I considered because the Cayenne has just been refreshed with a total overhaul for the new gen 3 model, and the updates were big (and added features I really wanted, like HUD). I agree fully that it makes more financial sense though, no doubt about that... but with Porsches, it's often very hard to find one equipped with the right set of options.

Also, even though I agree Porsche is very good at squeezing more dollars out of buyers by charging extra for 'basic' options / equipment.... but you're not really being fair by suggesting that they're selling a "$100k car without backup cameras or nav"... the base Cayenne model starts at $67k and comes with both of those items as standard, and my $124k (with options) Cayenne S is just as well equipped as the RR Sport Dynamic you mentioned, and even better in a few areas (better stereo, better seats, etc). It's also a matter of opinion but I personally think the new Porsche interiors (updated for the new generations of Panamera and now Cayenne, other models to follow soon) is one of the best on the market of ANY mainstream manufacturer, and a lot of reviews I've read seem to support that as well.

Quote:
I think your vehicle will come well before what the dealer has quoted. I suspect the new Cayenne market is soft save for export. Some evidence is the 3% off on a new for 2019 vehicle. I would expect July/August delivery given current lead times from Europe. Enjoy!
You could be right about it arriving late, but the build date is actually mid-June and the expected delivery is late August. Thankfully my current lease isn't up until the end of September, and according to my sales rep at the local dealership (who could be BS'ing, but I doubt it on this particular topic) says that 2019 Cayennes have been arriving on schedule for the past 6 months or so (except for the e-Hybrid version which is delayed by 3+ months). Here's hoping it'll arrive at least before my current lease is up. :-)

Anyway, always interesting to hear other opinions... even if I may disagree, haha. Thanks for the input / feedback!
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-01-2019, 09:32 AM   #78
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Been hearing some crazy numbers for G-Wagen order wait list. But it may be all hype as the luxury market is dead in Vancouver.

Porsche has done a good job fooling the masses by undersupplying the market marginally compared to overall demand. It continues the perception in the stores that vehicles are by order only and months away. Other manufacturers could do it too, but their interest is just to channel stuff retailers as much as possible (like what Porsche is doing with last gen Macan).

Kev

PS: Luxury tax on $150k + is actually 26%, not 25. NDP decided the logical calculation is (Sales price * PST) * GST. So basically you are paying 5% GST on 20% PST. While they may have given you 3% off your build, keep in mind they will charge freight/pdi/dealer fees and this could push you back above $125k and consequently bumping you into the next tax bracket up on luxury vehicles.

Mind chiming-in on the Range Rover SVR? That thing crackle and pops.
Reliability and breakage, what's it like?
Gallardo is offline   Reply With Quote