REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-05-2019, 07:05 PM   #26
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
I'm still sticker shocked at this thing.
Yeah, it's ridiculous. A base Cayenne with limited options (well, no options at all, really... compared to other luxe brands like Acura or even BMW) is close to half of the price I'll be paying, but it's still a fuckload of money.

Then again, I plan to pay $1100 for illuminated door sill emblems and $330 for Porsche logos embossed in the headrests... so that tells you all you need to know about the morons (ppl like me) who actually buy these things. (I'm at least self-aware that it's a rip-off......?)

The Turbo is by far the most obscenely overpriced of the 3 models available for 2019 though. Go build one with the optional equipment you want on the Porsche website and see if you can get it under $175,000 BEFORE the 17% tax and other random fees. You're going to pay well over $200k out the door for a Turbo, which is absolutely insane even if it does hit 60mph in 3.7s.

Advertisement
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:29 PM   #27
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaru View Post
Thanks man, appreciate it. I will definitely talk to out-of-province dealers and see what kind of leverage I can get from that. Don't really want to actually buy the car from another dealer, but I'd consider it for a 7%+ discount! Was your GTS on the lot, or a custom order? (Beautiful car either way, I drove a new '16 GTS a couple years back and loved it... aside from the lack of back seat!)

Also, did you research the average discount other buyers were getting from nearby dealers before negotiating? Or just email all Canadian dealerships to see which one would give you the best deal?
I did some research and seems like discounts were around 3-5%. I did the email bomb and chose the lowest price. My GTS was off the lot though so that gave some leeway I guess.
bomberR17 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-05-2019, 08:37 PM   #28
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,695 Times in 3,126 Posts
its pretty damn sick, but whats wrong with just the base cayenne engine? i dont think the S is that much faster to justify that much more money. Plus then you got these "racing" options that belong more in a 911 than a family SUV.

$1200 for roof rails - just get yakima rails for like 300 dollars
$1200 thermal insulated glass - seems totally ridiculous
$2400 adaptive air suspension - this might be good for towing or a smoother ride, but god damn i think those struts are like 1200 per if they screw up
$4090 for PORSCHE Dynamic chasis Control Sport - this belongs on a 911. i dont think it makes any sense in a cayenne
$3670 sports exhaust - on a cayenne!? da fack
$1280 sport chrono - fancy in dash clock and a limited torqus boost.. eruhh belongs on a 911
$2400 for 20inch wheels - i can imagine you'll need that air suspension if you ride on such giant wheels
$1160 for door sills - SERIOUSLY!??!?! FUCK ME.

i dont know man, its your money, but i wouldnt get half the shit on this car. Hell i wouldnt even get the Cayenne S, id get a plain jane cayenne at 60k and it'll look more or less the same and have the same snob appeal as your 120k one. Just go buy that S badge for 50 bucks off ebay and stick it on your tail end or buy another cayenne. you can get 2 for the price of 1.

I just dont understand porsche people.

Jesus H Christ. These things really don't hold their value. I seriously wouldn't spend that kinda dough in a new one unless youre gonna keep it forever.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van...811423143.html
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van...809716263.html

Last edited by Badhobz; 02-05-2019 at 10:40 PM.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:30 PM   #29
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

IMO the screen and HUD is a big upgrade over the last gen. But I'm not a fan of the shifter console. I prefer the tactile feedback of physical buttons on the last gen stuff even though they often jam and the chrome flakes off. The touch panel on this gen is very prone to finger prints. With the last gen buttons, if you didn't get an option you get a blanking plate instead of a switch. With this gen, the option you didn't buy is still printed on the panel, it is just not lit up. It isn't dark enough, so the logos are still visible. Feels like it has burnt out bulbs.
toyota86 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-05-2019, 09:46 PM   #30
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I never understood Sports SUV market. How fast do you really need in an SUV? Or is it the comfort of enjoying an SUV as well as power that people want?

I'm assuming this market is for the rich, then again I am only a peasant :
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:31 PM   #31
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
the new macan if you add tint to the taillight it's an extra $800
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:59 PM   #32

Gotta hand it to Porsche though. They can get away with charging exotic car options for VW stuff. That marketing is insanely good.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2019, 02:05 AM   #33

Quote:
its pretty damn sick, but whats wrong with just the base cayenne engine? i dont think the S is that much faster to justify that much more money. Plus then you got these "racing" options that belong more in a 911 than a family SUV.

i dont know man, its your money, but i wouldnt get half the shit on this car. Hell i wouldnt even get the Cayenne S, id get a plain jane cayenne at 60k and it'll look more or less the same and have the same snob appeal as your 120k one. Just go buy that S badge for 50 bucks off ebay and stick it on your tail end or buy another cayenne. you can get 2 for the price of 1.

I just dont understand porsche people.
Hahaha... you make some fair points. I think the reality is that you and I (and any two people) have different needs, wants, and budgets when it comes to cars.

Regarding the S being "not fast enough to justify the extra cost".... that might actually be true, it's a big step up in price, but it does come with some extra equipment included in the base price compared with the entry-level Cayenne. Not enough to make up the huge price hike, but it's not like you're ONLY getting another turbo and 100bhp, there are some extra inclusions and some options are a bit cheaper.

For me, though, the big difference is that I just wouldn't be interested in a base Cayenne. I'm not exactly driving a LaFerrari currently, but the F82 M4 is a pretty fast car and I have come to appreciate and enjoy the power and performance. If I were to take a massive step down in performance, I wouldn't enjoy driving the thing enough to buy one, and I'd go with something completely different.

I also beg to differ about the performance delta between the base and S.... the S is quite a lot faster (a full second quicker to 60, over 100 more hp and quite a lot more usable torque). An S will be faster than most cars on the road, a base is going to be neck-and-neck with your mom's Camry. For me that's enough of a leap to take it into "performance vehicle" territory and keep me amused on twisty backroads or pass with confidence on the highway.

What has appealed to me about the more performance-tuned Cayenne models for a couple years now is the amazing "does it all" capabilities... I can't think of anything else on the road that will hit 60mph in under 5 secs, lap a track faster than a VW GTI, comfortably carry 5 adults long distances, go off-road (maybe not hardcore rock climbing but it's got real capability).... all in total comfort and luxury. I love that idea.... and it means on days like today when it's -3ºC outside and threatening to snow, I won't be stranded at home or worry about careening off the road at every corner. Also, unlike my M4 and a ton of other performance cars on sale today, the Cayenne should be able to actually replicate the performance numbers claimed in the brochure, even with a retard like me at the wheel.

"$1200 for roof rails - just get yakima rails for like 300 dollars"
Nah, nothing can match the convenience of factory-installed roof rails, and I've heard great things about the Porsche Transport System components as well... I actually think the $1200 price is pretty good value for Porsche, especially considering you can't add them after the car leaves the factory. Also, Yakima rails needed to carry a kayak or bikes are not $300 man, at least not good ones.

"$1200 thermal insulated glass - seems totally ridiculous"
You don't like a quiet cabin and factory tint? Reviews make it sound like the noise insulation actually helps, and I'm an old man that really appreciates a quite cabin at highway speeds. Another one I'm happy to pay $1200 for. To each their own though! (I wouldn't have wanted that option 10 years ago....)

"$2400 adaptive air suspension - this might be good for towing or a smoother ride, but god damn i think those struts are like 1200 per if they screw up"
Actually this one is another option I didn't even think twice about. The adjustable ride height will be useful at times for sure (gravel roads, driving in snow, etc) and apparently the Comfort mode is a lot more compliant and smooth compared with the normal suspension setup. Ride quality is terrible in my M4 and it really irritates me quite often, so I look forward to a smoother ride and the ability to increase ground clearance by pushing a button (even if it only gets used a few times a year). Also, not to sound like a huge dick, but the potential of a $1200 repair bill at some point in the distant future when the warranty has expired is not really a big concern. For the next owner that buys it second-hand from me in 6 or 8 years time? Yeah, you make a good point. :-)

"$4090 for PORSCHE Dynamic chasis Control Sport - this belongs on a 911. i dont think it makes any sense in a cayenne"
I actually think that's a fair criticism and an option I'm considering taking off the list in favour of something else. It's a lot of money and it may not make much of a difference in daily driving, so I might be with you on this one. I have heard some positive reviews that say it's hugely helpful in reducing body roll in such a tall and heavy vehicle, and I do want the thing to be fun on a twisty mountain road.... tough call.

"$3670 sports exhaust - on a cayenne!? da fack"
Don't get me started on this haha. The internet is already exploding with opinions on this option. It's basically paying $3600 to add a "loud/quiet" button on the center console... something I've been desperately missing in my M4, which is insanely loud when you don't want it to be and too quiet when you're driving more aggressively and actually want some angry noises. I'm going to have to do another test drive in an S with this option equipped to really figure out if it's necessary. Sound is definitely important to me though, and controlling when it's loud and stealth is a very nice feature, but I'm still undecided on this one. It does sound pretty ridiculous to pay that much money for a sports exhaust on a $125k Porsche, that's definitely true. Fucking Porsche man.

"$1280 sport chrono - fancy in dash clock and a limited torqus boost.. eruhh belongs on a 911"
Also adds launch control, moves the sport/comfort settings module to the steering wheel, and allows me to claim a quicker theoretical 0-60 time. I dunno, at $1300 I'll take it.... any more than that and I'd probably agree. I also don't think this actually increases boost over the standard output btw, pretty sure it's just a tweak to the throttle response or engine map for 20 secs.

"$2400 for 20inch wheels - i can imagine you'll need that air suspension if you ride on such giant wheels"
Most S and Turbo buyers will likely take one of the many 21" wheel choices actually.... 20" is pretty conservative for a large, expensive and brand new vehicle of this sort. I just don't really like any of the 21" wheel options (aside from the standard Turbo wheels which I don't think are available at all on the S) and I plan to take the thing skiing, on gravel logging roads, on the brutally rough streets in my neighbourhood, etc and I like the way those 20's look, so fuck it. If you saw one in person with any of the 19" wheel options, I think you'd agree that this is a necessary expense (if you're spending $100k+ already anyway). Should be a nice balance of practicality/ride comfort and appearance.

"$1160 for door sills - SERIOUSLY!??!?! FUCK ME."
Yes, you're right. That one makes no fucking sense at all, but they sure look cool and I'm a sucker for subtle shit like that. To be fair, there's at least 50 different similar interior/aesthetic customizations to choose from, and I only checked two of those boxes... at least I'm just opting for the standard emblem illuminated side sills and not carbon fibre ones with a custom-embossed logo design.... (yes, that's a real option, you have to send the graphic design files to the Porsche factory in Germany.... WTF).

Lastly... regarding the fact that all Cayennes (base, S, Turbo, etc) all look basically identical... yes, you're definitely right. It's a car that will never turn heads or be very good for showing off. Most people probably assume a well-equipped Cayenne wouldn't even break $100k brand new, but that's OK with me. In fact, I find an M4 a bit too showy at times here in Victoria (I'm 32 and white and a newer ///M is all it takes to bring out the broskis and haters now and then), so I think it'll be nice to be more anonymous while still enjoying driving it every day.

I do think your overall sentiment / argument is based on sound logic, and thanks for making me think about this shit a bit harder by questioning my purchase / options list.... it's actually useful to be reminded how absurd the world of Porsche is, and how ridiculously large the prices are. That's not lost on me, but I'm beyond saving now. See you in Stuttgart in a few years time when you convert to the Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoTurbo View Post
I never understood Sports SUV market. How fast do you really need in an SUV? Or is it the comfort of enjoying an SUV as well as power that people want?

I'm assuming this market is for the rich, then again I am only a peasant :
As I mentioned above, for me personally it's about having a vehicle that is highly capable performance car that can generally keep up with the Boxsters and M2's and Mustangs on the track or on the road.... while also being one of the most practical, usable, and comfortable/luxurious cars you can buy. I can't say it's as fun as an M2 or Boxter, as practical as your mom's Toyota Sienna, or as luxurious as a new S-class.... but I don't know of any vehicle out there that can do ALL of those things very well with very little compromise in any one area.

If you don't get why that's appealing, maybe you're just a bit too young to understand the appeal of (and need for) usable everyday practicality... or you're a lot wiser and more financially responsible than I am, haha.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:13 AM   #34

Quote:
Gotta hand it to Porsche though. They can get away with charging exotic car options for VW stuff. That marketing is insanely good.
I don't think it's marketing, really.

I think it's more that Porsche has come to learn exactly how to make a product that's specifically designed for people who have money and insist on buying the best version of things, even if that means spending an extra $25k for a small increase in performance, luxury, or build quality. If you can charge that much, and people keep buying (and in fact lining up to hand over these insane prices... good luck picking up a new 911 anytime soon)... why the fuck wouldn't you? (They do still need to continue making great cars though, which generally speaking they have done for the past decade or so IMO... the Porsche homerism isn't entirely delusional IMO)

I also think there's real logic behind the "build it exactly the way you want" approach to optional equipment. Sure, the actual options are way overpriced and there's far too little included in the entry-level models for the base price... but it does allow a much larger segment of the population to actually have a real chance at buying a new one, although that may mean living without many things that should be included as standard equipment. I won't be paying for many features I don't want or need, because there's so much freedom to build exactly the way I want it. Something to be said for that.

^^ Edit: fuck I just read that back and realized I'm truly drunk on the Porsche kool-aid now. send help
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-06-2019, 05:21 AM   #35

I meant no disrespect. I hope you're not offended by my comments. but I can feel the battle within you regarding the desire for a performance car but needing the functionality of an SUV. I truly believe there is no silver bullet that will conquer all your needs in one vehicle as a middle of the road vehicle will end up not fully satisfying either requirement.

I think if you buy a base cayenne and then take the extra 50k left over, you can find a really really nice weekend sports car. That way if this whole thing doesn't work out, you won't take such a huge financial bath. 120k on a car that'll go down to 60-70k after a short 4 years should be avoided if possible.

I say test drive it a few more times to be absolutely certain. then go test drive a x5m and an AMG gle to compare.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2019, 06:37 AM   #36
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Yeah, it's ridiculous. A base Cayenne with limited options (well, no options at all, really... compared to other luxe brands like Acura or even BMW) is close to half of the price I'll be paying, but it's still a fuckload of money.

Then again, I plan to pay $1100 for illuminated door sill emblems and $330 for Porsche logos embossed in the headrests... so that tells you all you need to know about the morons (ppl like me) who actually buy these things. (I'm at least self-aware that it's a rip-off......?)

The Turbo is by far the most obscenely overpriced of the 3 models available for 2019 though. Go build one with the optional equipment you want on the Porsche website and see if you can get it under $175,000 BEFORE the 17% tax and other random fees. You're going to pay well over $200k out the door for a Turbo, which is absolutely insane even if it does hit 60mph in 3.7s.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the tax on a $175,000 car is now 25% (5% GST + 20% PST). Cars between $125,000 and $150,000 pay 15% PST and cars above $150,000 pay 20% PST. On a $175,000 car you are paying $43,750 in tax alone!

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/bc-b...cars-sales-tax
spacemanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2019, 07:29 AM   #37
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I am surprised no one threw into this mix a G-Wagon already...

Or maybe, just maybe a Range Rover Sport. Serious.
Gallardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:29 AM   #38

Quote:
I can feel the battle within you regarding the desire for a performance car but needing the functionality of an SUV. I truly believe there is no silver bullet that will conquer all your needs in one vehicle as a middle of the road vehicle will end up not fully satisfying either requirement.
gonna have to agree with this, these down the rabbit hole posts are starting to sound like jasonturbo who after gt3 and v10 r8 still seems to prefer a bicycle and an integra

i get the minimalistic approach to get a jack of all trades, but unless you're absolutely space confined to one or two parking spot, spending exotic money to get it is no longer sensible...sounds like launch control on a SUV is important to you, but the end of the day it's still a 4400 lbs body and possibly a novelty after a launches

i dont think S over base isn't worth it, but many have gone down the 'well for this much more i can get that option, then this much more for this option etc' before you know it you've tacked on way over 50% of base model price..maybe take a step back and re-examine what would actually be useful (HUD, memory seats vs. sill plates, headrest embossed logo etc.)
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2019, 07:00 PM   #39

Brand new Porsche, nice! Why not go for European delivery?
Old 02-06-2019, 07:49 PM   #40
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
For the money, I'd go X5M anyday. I wouldn't get a Cayenne just to "get into" Porsche.

The Cayenne S at 105-110k, sure its a bit more expensive than your normal GLE550 or X5 50i but its a Porsche ok fine.

When you start to load it up to the 125k range the options change from the "normal" competitors to the X5M and GLE63S or RR Sport Autobiography etc... all of which are at the next level of performance from an SUV.

Unless you really plan on keeping it forever which I doubt, if you load it up to that extent the next owner guaranteed won't see the same value in your options and would compare to a off the shelf spec Cayenne S

21' 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
23' VW MK8 GTI 40th Anniversary
18' Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
21' Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

--
16' Mineral Grey F80 BMW M3 6MT SOLD -11/22
22' Halo Toyota GR86 6MT SOLD -11/22
12' Phantom Black - B8 Audi S4 - SOLD 04/19
07' WDP Acura TL Type-S - A-Spec/ATLP/H&R - SOLD 12/17
18' Matte Silver Ice - Triumph 765 Street Triple RS - SOLD 4/21
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2019, 01:38 AM   #41

Quote:
I meant no disrespect. I hope you're not offended by my comments. but I can feel the battle within you regarding the desire for a performance car but needing the functionality of an SUV. I truly believe there is no silver bullet that will conquer all your needs in one vehicle as a middle of the road vehicle will end up not fully satisfying either requirement.

I think if you buy a base cayenne and then take the extra 50k left over, you can find a really really nice weekend sports car. That way if this whole thing doesn't work out, you won't take such a huge financial bath. 120k on a car that'll go down to 60-70k after a short 4 years should be avoided if possible.

I say test drive it a few more times to be absolutely certain. then go test drive a x5m and an AMG gle to compare.
Nah, no offense taken at all... I know that posting this kind of thread on RS is going to bring out many differing opinions, and that's exactly what I was hoping for. :-)

Obviously I don't really agree with your assessment, but it's not because you're wrong (you make good points)... I just don't really want a $50k weekend sports car, and if I did, I would just keep my M4 (which is probably worth ~$55k or so now). What I'm looking for is a vehicle that will be suitable for all the things I do in my everyday life (commuting to work, going skiing/camping/etc on weekends, hauling shit, carrying passengers, etc) that has all the latest tech and luxury options and will still be fun to drive on a twisty road.

Your comment about test driving it again is actually nice timing, because I just took a base Cayenne (equipped with a bunch of the options I've been considering) out for a nice long drive today and learned a lot. In fact, I've already decided to forgo the noise-insulated windows, the Adaptive Cruise Control (it makes the front bumper way uglier), and illuminated side sills... and I also realize now that the PDCC Sport option is important enough to spend $4k on, because without it there's too much body roll for my taste. (Thanks for the suggestion btw, you're absolutely right that it's always wise to test drive a few times before buying.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanrick View Post
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the tax on a $175,000 car is now 25% (5% GST + 20% PST). Cars between $125,000 and $150,000 pay 15% PST and cars above $150,000 pay 20% PST. On a $175,000 car you are paying $43,750 in tax alone!

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/bc-b...cars-sales-tax
There's no GST if you're buying from a dealership.... at least, that's my understanding. But the prices I mentioned in my previous post that you're referring to were just ballpark numbers pulled out of my ass haha, I was just trying to illustrate how much the Turbo costs... and even with 20% tax, it'll definitely be over $200k!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallardo View Post
I am surprised no one threw into this mix a G-Wagon already...

Or maybe, just maybe a Range Rover Sport. Serious.
G-wagon?

I did consider the RR Sport actually. I like it, but it's way too much 'truck' vibe for me, and will be a big step backwards in on-road performance compared to my M4 which I don't think I'd be OK with at this point. Also, there's the whole 'buying a Range' thing (not just the coke dealer image, but also the build quality/reliability reputation).... very nice looking though, and the off-road capabilities are definitely appealing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed2K View Post
Brand new Porsche, nice! Why not go for European delivery?
Thanks, yeah, I might go for it actually... shockingly, it's a $0 option, haha.

I have some trips coming up this summer that might conflict with the delivery date, and my wife may not be able to get the time off work, but I'll definitely do the Euro delivery if we can sort that stuff out! Always wanted to do the BMW Welt Euro delivery, and the Porsche program sounds very similar, so I would definitely like to check that $0 option box....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP700-4 View Post
For the money, I'd go X5M anyday. I wouldn't get a Cayenne just to "get into" Porsche.

The Cayenne S at 105-110k, sure its a bit more expensive than your normal GLE550 or X5 50i but its a Porsche ok fine.

When you start to load it up to the 125k range the options change from the "normal" competitors to the X5M and GLE63S or RR Sport Autobiography etc... all of which are at the next level of performance from an SUV.

Unless you really plan on keeping it forever which I doubt, if you load it up to that extent the next owner guaranteed won't see the same value in your options and would compare to a off the shelf spec Cayenne S
I'm not doing it just to "get into" Porsche... to be honest I haven't actually really idolized Porsche as a brand at all until maybe the past year or two, and even then I don't actually want any other Porsche models (aside from the new 911 which looks siiiick.. but I can't afford a the 911 trim / optional equipment I'd want at the moment). It's more the Cayenne (and specifically the S) that I'm after, and mainly that's because it just checks off all the boxes on my needs/wants list right now.

No offense meant at all, because I appreciate the suggestions, but I am not interested in any of the other vehicles you mentioned. All of them are worthy competitors and all of them are around the same total after-tax price as the Cayenne S (w/ optional equipment added) I'm planning to buy.

The RR Sport is slower than the Cayenne S and just simply too much vehicle and too much truck for me. I love the exterior look (even more than the Cayenne) but it's not really at all what I'm after in terms of driving experience. Good suggestion though, and would prob be a more suitable choice if I really wanted a proper full-size SUV.

I personally find the X5M and GLE63S quite ugly, to be honest, which is a big reason why I didn't seriously consider either. For me, the new Porsche interior is also the best (both aesthetically and build quality feel). They're also both larger and heavier than the Cayenne, while offering maybe a tiny bit more straight-line performance and certainly no better handling/driving dynamics. And the price for all 3 (each equipped to my tastes) is nearly identical ($125k before tax) so that's a wash. So really, I guess what I'm saying is that the Cayenne suits my tastes/needs the best so that's the one I'm going to buy... (One thing I will give them both credit for -- especially that AMG V8 -- is sound. No chance any Cayenne aside from the Turbo will sound as sublime...)

Thanks for all the feedback/opinions. Keep them coming, it's definitely forcing me to think hard about what I'm spending my money on...
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2019, 01:57 AM   #42
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I'd lease it for 2-3 years then pick up a newer one. The one thing I like to mention about cars right now is that tech is evolving pretty fast for automobiles. I wouldn't buy out at the end of the lease term for that reason alone. Some features that are options now might become standard features on the next one with better optional equipment.
E90M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2019, 01:58 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
gonna have to agree with this, these down the rabbit hole posts are starting to sound like jasonturbo who after gt3 and v10 r8 still seems to prefer a bicycle and an integra

i get the minimalistic approach to get a jack of all trades, but unless you're absolutely space confined to one or two parking spot, spending exotic money to get it is no longer sensible...sounds like launch control on a SUV is important to you, but the end of the day it's still a 4400 lbs body and possibly a novelty after a launches

i dont think S over base isn't worth it, but many have gone down the 'well for this much more i can get that option, then this much more for this option etc' before you know it you've tacked on way over 50% of base model price..maybe take a step back and re-examine what would actually be useful (HUD, memory seats vs. sill plates, headrest embossed logo etc.)
Owned both a bicycle and an Integra in the past... hated them both. I do see your point though, yeah.

I'm not sure $125k is "exotic money" in 2019 personally... I mean, even $200k won't buy you a high-end 911 or anything new from McLaren/Ferrari/Lambo/etc (not even close). I would suggest that it's more the top end of the luxury performance market segment... in line with base 911's, new M5, AMG C63S, etc. They're all going to deliver more performance, sure, but so is the car I'm driving right now... and I want to replace it, because it's just not suitable for my daily driving needs.

Launch control isn't really a feature I care about haha, I have it on my car right now (even if it's the worst launch control system ever built) and I've used it maybe a dozen times in 2+ years. I was mentioning it only because the Cayenne's Sport Chrono option includes launch control with the other components in that package... not because I really need, want, or plan to use it. I mean, the Cayenne has an 8-speed trans w/ a traditional transfer case, so I'm not sure if using the launch control would be wise either way.... haha.

But yeah, I mean, you're not wrong about the Cayenne being a 4400lb SUV at the end of the day (and not a true pure-bred sports car)... but I already have that type of vehicle right now, and it's too far into the performance/sports car end of the range for me and for my daily driving usage. So why not go for a performance SUV that offers respectable performance and a big upgrade in terms of practicality/comfort? You could maybe argue that I should be considering something like an M5 or an RS4, because those have better performance than the Cayenne and probably offer more practicality, but I just think the SUV is an overall more suitable choice.

As for the 'rabbit hole' of optional equipment... yes. You're right, haha. Thankfully I've got an artificial ceiling (the $125k luxury tax threshold) to keep me from spending even MORE on options, but it's definitely not hard to start adding the "well that'd be nice to have" features and end up doubling the base MSRP when they're all added up. And I ditched the illuminated side sills, OK? The HUD (critical, would pay $5k+ for it) and the embossed headrest emblems (only $330, OK?!) are staying! Hahaha
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2019, 02:10 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3 View Post
I'd lease it for 2-3 years then pick up a newer one. The one thing I like to mention about cars right now is that tech is evolving pretty fast for automobiles. I wouldn't buy out at the end of the lease term for that reason alone. Some features that are options now might become standard features on the next one with better optional equipment.
Well 2019 is the first model year of this generation, and the new Cayenne interior (shared with the new Panamera and now 911) hasn't even made it into the entire Porsche range yet. So I think in 2-3 years the Cayenne will be more or less the same as it is now, aside from maybe a few minor things that may become standard on the base model.

I see your point, and it's definitely true with other brands, but I think with Porsche (where you can customize the optional equipment completely.... and very few of the must-have, sought-after optional equipment is ever included in the base price) that's less of a factor.

I plan to buy it outright up front unless the leasing numbers really look favourable, which is unlikely (unless the residual is so high that I will save a shit-ton in tax... enough to offset the interest) and pass it on to my wife in a few years time when I can afford a 720s or a Taycan..... or a proper 911. Hahaha

But yeah, thanks for the input, and I agree that I might want something else in a few years time... that will almost certainly be true. And that's why I confirmed that my wife would be happy to take the Cayenne down the road BEFORE I set foot in a Porsche dealership
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2019, 04:34 AM   #45
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,403 Times in 858 Posts
No new car really makes financial sense - so long as you'll enjoy it then go for it.

I've spent considerable time in the outgoing generation of the Turbo and GTS and suffice to say, I get it. They're sweet trucks that still offer the driving pleasure of a sportscar.

Don't have anything to offer re: lease vs. finance but I've some contacts at PCV if you'd like to pick their minds/yearn for a deal.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:16 PM   #46

Quote:
it's definitely not hard to start adding the "well that'd be nice to have" features and end up doubling the base MSRP when they're all added up. And I ditched the illuminated side sills, OK? The HUD (critical, would pay $5k+ for it) and the embossed headrest emblems (only $330, OK?!) are staying!
loud & clear

just as an example, on a budget-brand street car i opted for brembos, figured better to have them and not need them then to regret later...but now I can't really put winters on because they don't clear most wheels
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2019, 08:37 PM   #47
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

A quick side comment-

I actually enjoy these type of threads alot, it's quite informational and fun.

@Amaru, keep us posted with your Cayenne builds and evaluations lol
Gallardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2019, 06:53 AM   #48
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,736 Times in 956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
loud & clear

just as an example, on a budget-brand street car i opted for brembos, figured better to have them and not need them then to regret later...but now I can't really put winters on because they don't clear most wheels

Just just maddd spacers.
trollface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:26 AM   #49
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
No new car really makes financial sense - so long as you'll enjoy it then go for it.

I've spent considerable time in the outgoing generation of the Turbo and GTS and suffice to say, I get it. They're sweet trucks that still offer the driving pleasure of a sportscar.

Don't have anything to offer re: lease vs. finance but I've some contacts at PCV if you'd like to pick their minds/yearn for a deal.
This.

If the buyer is focused on the prices of the add-ons then you shouldn't be looking into getting a new car, or a Porsche at that. I would assume people who acquires new porsches could care less about paying 4 figures for tint or a roof rack.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:36 AM   #50

thats not true at all. Just because you have money, doesn't mean you're going to be a total idiot with it. Most of the rich guys i know are all very very stingy and only get what they need and nothing more. They don't just sign out blank cheques for shit, they are incredibly precise with where and how their money is spent.

You know who doesnt give a shit?

Lottery winners or guys who just had money handed to them. Our friend here doesnt seem like one of those guys.
This post thanked by: