REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-03-2019, 11:26 PM   #1
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Buying/Leasing New Porsche - Learn Me?

Greetings, good people of RS.

I've decided to trade in my 2016 M4 sometime this year (within the next 6 months most likely).

I'm ready to take the Porsche plunge. I'm looking at a 2019 Cayenne S. (You can try to talk me out of it, but I won't listen... I know it's a grossly overpriced soccer mom van, but I'm old and I want to actually be able to drive my next vehicle between Nov and Apr).

With the options I've specced out online, it looks like I should be able to get the sticker price below the $125,000 luxury tax threshold. I'll probably buy it outright, but would consider leasing depending on the residual and terms of the lease Porsche offers.

My understanding from a bit of research online is that I will be thoroughly fleeced and can expect more or less no negotiation whatsoever... anyone with experience buying or leasing from Porsche have any experience or tips on this?

I assume the only leverage I have (or COULD have, in theory) would be from getting one local dealership to compete with another for my business...? I doubt this will work as I'm in Victoria (only one Porsche dealer) and I'm skeptical that any dealer in BC really needs the business, but maybe it's worth trying....? Any other ways I can try and wring out a better deal... maybe asking for free accessories -- winter tires, car cover, etc?

Any general advice on leasing from Porsche would be appreciated also. I'm not new to leasing so I know the basics (negotiating on the total price, not putting any $ down, etc) but if you have any specific tips or knowledge, please learn me.

Lastly, I doubt many RS'ers have ordered a 2019 Cayenne S recently, so this is a bit of a long shot but I'd also be open to any advice on specific optional equipment (even if it's just Porsche related generally). There are so many unbelievably expensive options available I need to lube up before I visit the Porsche online configurator tool... so, if you know of any that should be avoided like the plague or any I'll regret not adding, share. (Right now I've got $32k in equipment added on to the base price, so my ass is already bleeding profusely but maybe I should just say to hell with the luxury tax and just add more options to make sure I get the car I want??)

Thanks in advance
Advertisement
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:34 PM   #2
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

If you're willing to buy out of province, you can get great deals from Porsche dealers in AB and ON. They can facilitate shipping too and it shouldn't cost any more than $2000 enclosed as they have dealer rates. I was able to get 7% discount for a Cayman GTS from Porsche of London. Porsche Vancouver matched it surprisingly so I didn't go with them.

Leasing is the same as any other car. In Porsche case they charge a high interest rate and even though their residuals are high, it's not as high as their resale value. Porsche have amazing resale value so it's better to buy/finance than to lease.
bomberR17 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2019, 06:59 AM   #3
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 8,795 Times in 3,169 Posts
The only porsche that has amazing resale is the 911. Everything else depreciates like pretty much most standard european car.

Porsches arent known for good lease rates, so if you got the cash do that. Id say ask them what they have on the lot, if it fits, buy that and then haggle it hard. The inventory they have on hand they are more motivated to move.

Jesus, a friggin porsche tourag for 120k!?!?? i thought those things start at 60k you might as well go buy a Maserati Grand Cherokee
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:10 AM   #4
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,399 Times in 5,671 Posts
Can’t you get into the Taycan for similar pricing or slightly more?
Old 02-04-2019, 09:39 AM   #5
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Hey Amaru,

I read an article the other day, something about the 2019 Cayenne not being a "true Cayenne" any longer.

-reason being the engine being used in it is the one from the Audi?

Definitely do more reading into it and see if you wanted a 2019 or an slightly older older version like the 2017-2018 Cayenne models.
Gallardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2019, 09:45 AM   #6

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/pors...t-test-review/

-Looks like the V6 in the Cayenne is from the Audi
-may not matter if you're getting the V8

-Looks like the Cayenne now uses shared platforms of the Q5, Q8, Bentaya, etc
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2019, 10:11 AM   #7

Meh, it's all a VAG abomination. Might as well just get an honest VW. The only Porsche that's a Porsche is a 911
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2019, 11:51 AM   #8
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

An hour and a half might save you some $$
Robert Stack is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2019, 04:05 PM   #9

Oh sorry Cayanne I thought you meant Cayman
Old 02-04-2019, 04:21 PM   #10

youre not sorry and you know it. CAYMAN all the way
Old 02-04-2019, 05:55 PM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
caymans are for pussy's.

Like other mentioned, looks like you're going to end up with some sort of franken porsche-audi car.

I'd be keeping my eyes on that taycan
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2019, 06:32 PM   #12

I like the Cayanne, probably one of the nicer SUV’s out there franken VW or not. Do it up!
Old 02-04-2019, 06:40 PM   #13
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
hi radio... nvm lol

maybe they'll give u a discount if you drive the pig cayenne at van porsche

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:33 PM   #14
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Some of my experience is based on gen 1 and gen 2 cayenne. So may not apply fully to the gen 3. In terms of options, I think it really depends on how long you plan to keep it for, how you plan to dispose of it, and how much you want want to get back when you punt it.

If you plan to keep the car after warranty, option as less as possible. A lot of these gadgets will feel very outdated in a few years. And less options means things to go wrong after warranty.

If you care about resale, order popular colors and option groups.

If you plan to lease and return before warranty ends, go nuts with options. Don't care about resale.

The fewer the mechanical/electrical options, the less to break, the easier to get parts. Lane departure stuff is glitchy, panoroof leaks and squeaks, lots of chassis control fault with air suspension, pccb is expensive and not worth, they suck in cold, adaptive cruise, night vision, and cameras gets very expensive if you get hit. Same if upgrade the headlights, expensive to repair and prone to faults. comfort access and keyless go are both things that kill batteries prematurely. 4 wheel steer makes everything in the suspension more expensive to replace. Also, depending on your option list, you may lose some storage space under the trunk floor.

If you spec custom colors, leather wrapped stuff, or painted interior trim, it will take forever to order parts for, and cost a lot more than regular standard pieces. From what I've seen, carbon pieces turn yellow, haze, and or crack, alcantara trims wear quickly on touch surfaces, wood laminated on leather turns wavy, leather wrapped stuff like vents and center consoles shrink and jams buttons/sliders, aluminum trims pits.
toyota86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
Some of my experience is based on gen 1 and gen 2 cayenne. So may not apply fully to the gen 3. In terms of options, I think it really depends on how long you plan to keep it for, how you plan to dispose of it, and how much you want want to get back when you punt it.

If you plan to keep the car after warranty, option as less as possible. A lot of these gadgets will feel very outdated in a few years. And less options means things to go wrong after warranty.

If you plan to lease and return before warranty ends, go nuts with options. Don't care about resale.

The fewer the mechanical/electrical options, the less to break, the easier to get parts. Lane departure stuff is glitchy, panoroof leaks and squeaks, lots of chassis control fault with air suspension, pccb is expensive and not worth, they suck in cold, adaptive cruise, night vision, and cameras gets very expensive if you get hit. Same if upgrade the headlights, expensive to repair and prone to faults. comfort access and keyless go are both things that kill batteries prematurely. 4 wheel steer makes everything in the suspension more expensive to replace. Also, depending on your option list, you may lose some storage space under the trunk floor.

If you spec custom colors, leather wrapped stuff, or painted interior trim, it will take forever to order parts for, and cost a lot more than regular standard pieces. From what I've seen, carbon pieces turn yellow, haze, and or crack, alcantara trims wear quickly on touch surfaces, wood laminated on leather turns wavy, leather wrapped stuff like vents and center consoles shrink and jams buttons/sliders, aluminum trims pits.
Wow, very well put.

I've always thought about it that way too.

But when you try and spec the car online (the configuration), it really sucks you into ticking the additional options lol
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2019, 09:07 PM   #16

how much is the regular service on a porsche? whats mid level service cost?
Old 02-04-2019, 09:11 PM   #17
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
how much is the regular service on a porsche? whats mid level service cost?
Yearly service is $585+tax
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2019, 09:25 PM   #18
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,825 Times in 3,905 Posts
Quote:

do the average Porsche owners keep their vehicles past year 6-8 though?

if you're spending 80k+, i'd think you would like to check off quite a few options
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberR17 View Post
If you're willing to buy out of province, you can get great deals from Porsche dealers in AB and ON. They can facilitate shipping too and it shouldn't cost any more than $2000 enclosed as they have dealer rates. I was able to get 7% discount for a Cayman GTS from Porsche of London. Porsche Vancouver matched it surprisingly so I didn't go with them.

Leasing is the same as any other car. In Porsche case they charge a high interest rate and even though their residuals are high, it's not as high as their resale value. Porsche have amazing resale value so it's better to buy/finance than to lease.
Thanks man, appreciate it. I will definitely talk to out-of-province dealers and see what kind of leverage I can get from that. Don't really want to actually buy the car from another dealer, but I'd consider it for a 7%+ discount! Was your GTS on the lot, or a custom order? (Beautiful car either way, I drove a new '16 GTS a couple years back and loved it... aside from the lack of back seat!)

Also, did you research the average discount other buyers were getting from nearby dealers before negotiating? Or just email all Canadian dealerships to see which one would give you the best deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallardo View Post
Hey Amaru,

I read an article the other day, something about the 2019 Cayenne not being a "true Cayenne" any longer.

-reason being the engine being used in it is the one from the Audi?

Definitely do more reading into it and see if you wanted a 2019 or an slightly older older version like the 2017-2018 Cayenne models.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallardo View Post
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/pors...t-test-review/

-Looks like the V6 in the Cayenne is from the Audi
-may not matter if you're getting the V8

-Looks like the Cayenne now uses shared platforms of the Q5, Q8, Bentaya, etc
Thank you! The Cayenne S (and Turbo, can't afford that shit though) are the only ones I'd consider owning.... from what I understand, the 2.9L bi-turbo V6 in the S is shared with the new Audi RS5. I'm OK with that, to be honest, and I can't really think of many new models nowadays that don't share parts from other vehicles / manufacturers. Also, while it's true the Cayenne chassis may be based closely on the Q7, it's also shared with the Lambo Urus.... so I'll just mention that if anyone comments on my "$150k Audi crossover"

BTW, I appreciate the suggestion about going with a 2nd gen slightly-used one instead.... but to be honest, there's a few features in the 3rd gen that really appeal to me (new HUD, massive touchscreen, new motor, etc) and I want to custom-spec it to suit my 'elderly white man' tastes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Stack View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYbBT7Lyrhw

An hour and a half might save you some $$
Thanks dude. Already watched this twice; have long been a subscriber to his YouTube channel (dude's vids helped me when buying my M4 too actually).

Nick's advice on the new Cayenne was definitely helpful, although you know how it is... other people have different priorities and tastes, so I like to get a few opinions whenever possible.

Quote:

Thank you, that's actually quite helpful... I'm going to take my chances on some of the options I can't live without (comfort/keyless, adaptive cruise, panoramic sunroof, air suspension) and hope Porsche has solved the worse of the gremlins/issues. Will definitely steer clear of the lane departure nanny thing, 4 wheel steering, and crazy new 84-LED headlights.... and I'd never think of getting custom interior colours or painted components haha, I think that shit is ugly as hell generally speaking, but good to know nonetheless.

Somehow the dark blue exterior paint option ($960) and basic two-tone black/mojave tan interior ($440) cost extra. They're literally some of the most basic color options you can spec... half the interior finishings aren't even leather... and yet, $1400 extra.... thanks Porsche!

Old 02-05-2019, 02:04 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
do the average Porsche owners keep their vehicles past year 6-8 though?

if you're spending 80k+, i'd think you would like to check off quite a few options
I don't think it's possible to build a new Porsche without adding at least $10k in options. (Unless you're cool with your $100k vehicle having 19" wheels, a basic 10-speaker stereo, no heated seats, no keyless entry, etc etc....) That's why they're the most profitable car manufacturer on the planet, I guess...

FWIW this is the build I've been looking at. Based on the recommendations in this thread and some other research online, I'll likely tweak the optional equipment a bit before buying, but you can see how things add up (base price $92,600 and with the options I've equipped below it's now at $124,720 before taxes etc)...

This post thanked by:
Old 02-05-2019, 06:06 AM   #21
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,825 Times in 3,905 Posts
HUD is 2k, gat damn lol
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-05-2019, 06:46 AM   #22

I'm still sticker shocked at this thing.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:29 PM   #23

EvoSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:39 PM   #24

The interior is sick af, so nice.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
HUD is 2k, gat damn lol
Yeah. Worth it though. Fully customizable to display any info you want (ie. night vision, nav, media playback, speedo, tach, off-road gauges, etc) arranged / position exactly where you want it.

HUD is life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
The interior is sick af, so nice.
Haha yeah, I agree! Arguably one of the nicest interiors of any car on the market currently IMO, and I understand the new 911 and all other models in the Porsche lineup will have similar layouts in the next gen. The lack of any knobs/dials frustrated some reviewers but overall it's sexy and well laid out. Zero offensive elements either.

Stay tuned 18 months or so for my full long-term review, in which I'm sure I'll share any interior annoyances that arise from day to day use....... and/or a list of things that have broken....