REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 02-24-2019, 08:11 AM   #1
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
mid Sept - vacation ideas

the better half and i are looking for vacation ideas for mid-Sept 2019.

prefer somewhere where the canadian dollar can go far because of f/x rate.
not looking at mexico, usa.
Advertisement

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:49 AM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
Flights might be more, but anywhere southeast asia will go far with the f/x. Thailand, Vietnam.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:41 PM   #3
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
^Yup pretty much.

Some of the places where you can go far, really far with our dollar:

CAD/VND: 17,593.23

CAD/IDR: 10,591.42

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:59 PM   #4
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,814 Times in 8,189 Posts
Keep in mind if you're planning on a beach trip in (edit) Vietnam or Thailand during September, it's off season for that. Most public beaches will be "closed" (lifeguards will usually let you go knee deep but that's it). You can go out further if you are SUPER confident in your swimming.

Last edited by SkinnyPupp; 03-01-2019 at 01:03 AM. Reason: clarified destinations
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:30 AM   #5
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Keep in mind if you're planning on a beach trip in SEA during September, it's off season for that. Most public beaches will be "closed" (lifeguards will usually let you go knee deep but that's it). You can go out further if you are SUPER confident in your swimming.
...South East Asia is a big place, there's no one "off season" for the whole region. Talking about the most popular destinations, in Thailand there's the Gulf of Thailand side and the Andaman Sea side which have opposing off-seasons. In Bali it's definitely not off season in September.

Plus, lifeguards in SEA?

This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-26-2019, 10:41 AM   #6
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
It's booked up for September, there is one week free end of August but if you're looking for a nice little get away that isn't to far this cabin is awesome. I've rented it before, it's also pet friendly if you want to bring a dog, hot tub over looking the lake, smoker, BBQ, full kitchen, laundry and Wifi.

https://www.vrbo.com/921970#rates

Honestly it's one of the most relaxing holidays I've ever had I'll be renting it again.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2019, 10:41 PM   #7
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
if you limit yourselves to 'where my useless Canadian pesos will go far' it's probably gonna be Thailand or Mexico

mid-Sept is usually a great time for cheap airfare though, good luck
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
...South East Asia is a big place, there's no one "off season" for the whole region. Talking about the most popular destinations, in Thailand there's the Gulf of Thailand side and the Andaman Sea side which have opposing off-seasons. In Bali it's definitely not off season in September.

Plus, lifeguards in SEA?
We're talking about Vietnam and Thailand here (not sure where you got Bali from.. I've never been there so I wouldn't have any advice to give), with a focus on swimming in the ocean.. September is within wet seasons throughout most if not all Vietnam. It's also within the wet season for the popular beach destinations in Thailand, particularly the ones which would fit within a more limited budget OP requested advice on.

Also "lifeguards in SEA? " Yes, at public beaches (which is what I specified).. Is that so hard to fathom? tf is even your point? lol
Old 03-01-2019, 07:46 AM   #9
linguistic ninja

Quote:
We're talking about Vietnam and Thailand here (not sure where you got Bali from.. I've never been there so I wouldn't have any advice to give), with a focus on swimming in the ocean.. September is within wet seasons throughout most if not all Vietnam. It's also within the wet season for the popular beach destinations in Thailand, particularly the ones which would fit within a more limited budget OP requested advice on.

Also "lifeguards in SEA? " Yes, at public beaches (which is what I specified).. Is that so hard to fathom? tf is even your point? lol
Read my post again. I quoted yours (before you edited it) and nowhere did you qualify your post limiting it to only Vietnam and Thailand. Here it is in it's entirety again.

Quote:
Keep in mind if you're planning on a beach trip in SEA during September, it's off season for that. Most public beaches will be "closed" (lifeguards will usually let you go knee deep but that's it). You can go out further if you are SUPER confident in your swimming.
You can't generalize Thailand because it has two different coasts - both are popular with tourists - that have two different weather patterns. September is Rainy season in the Andaman Sea (Phuket, Ko Phi Phi, etc) but not on the Gulf of Thailand (Ko Samui, Phangan) which is delayed till Nov. And yes, Bali is part of SE Asia which again I mentioned because you said "SE Asia" not "Vietnam and Thailand". We're talking about giving advice for the OP who is deciding where to go. I mentioned Vietnam and Indonesia, you mentioned "SEA" (again before you edited your post). I was just responding in kind.

Pretty much every beach that's not resort infested does NOT have lifeguards in SE Asia. I've been to many from Nha Trang to Lombok and everything in between. Lifeguards are the exception to the rule.

Last edited by CivicBlues; 03-01-2019 at 07:58 AM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-01-2019, 08:14 AM   #10

Your posts are pure pedantic toxicity but I'll reply one more time, the second post in this thread is about Thailand and Vietnam. I was quickly making a reply so I abbreviated them as SEA. I didn't put much thought into it. So I edited it later to what I should have posted a few days later. You don't need to try to bring up the edit like you caught me in the act or something. It's noted and timestamped

So yeah, the main point I tried to make remains: If making beach plans, be aware of what season it is in your destination. Be it Vietnam, Thailand, or Bali or whatever else.
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-01-2019, 08:38 AM   #11
linguistic ninja

I didn't realize we needed to go by the second post of every thread. I've been doing forums wrong my whole life! Is this like some kind of Vickary Auction?

Just trying to impart useful information to the OP, if that's being toxicly pedantic then label me pedantic with a warning!

Anyways, Happy Friday!

This post thanked by:
Old 03-02-2019, 06:43 AM   #12
MiX iT Up!

Anyone ventures around eastern europe? croatia etc?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 03-02-2019, 07:58 AM   #13
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,343 Times in 971 Posts
prague would be this yr; hoping to go in oct.
was goign to go to budapest and Slovenia / Slovakia, sadly i'm no longer single soo just Prague this yr
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 04:18 PM   #14
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
Anyone ventures around eastern europe? croatia etc?
The touristy parts of Croatia I found pretty expensive (Like Dubrovnik, Split, etc) like regular Western Europe prices. Didn't go to non-touristy Croatia so can't comment on that. For "cheap" Europe try Budapest, Greece, Portugal, Poland, Montenegro, Bosnia. I've also heard Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Macedonia are very cheap and worthwhile to visit as well.

Old 03-03-2019, 04:21 PM   #15
MiX iT Up!

For "Cheap" Europe try Budapest, Slovakia, Greece, Portugal, Poland, Montenegro. I've also heard Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia are very cheap and worthwhile to visit as well.

Are these safe? Is it worthwhile to see?
My bucket list is to see the 7 original wonders or new wonders. Anything in the above countries worth seeing?

Old 03-03-2019, 04:32 PM   #16
linguistic ninja

Dude, do a little research - There's tons to see in Greece and Portugal - Cradle of Western Civilization and all (for Greece) and Age of Discovery for Portugal.

Budapest is a city but it's really popular right now due to how inexpensive it is, the culture, architecture, and the nightlife. Montenegro has gorgeous coastline, like a cheaper Croatia.

Everywhere in Europe is perfectly safe except for Eastern Ukraine and perhaps some suburbs in Paris.

The only Original 7 Wonder you are going to see intact is the Pyramids of Giza. The rest are in ruins/completely gone and quite a few are in Greece/Turkey (Colossus of Rhodes, Statue of Zeus) - but there's nothing remaining really to see. You also might want to consider Turkey. Beautiful country full of Greco-Roman Ruins and gorgeous coastline. Just a bit dicey near the Syrian border.

I just recently finished seeing all 7 New Wonders. Keep in mind this was decided by an online poll so it's completely subjective. There are sights in the world that should have gone on the list but didn't for lack of votes. And some that shouldn't have really been there. If I had to rank them personally by touristic interest (i.e. time you'd need to do them justice) they'd be:

Petra > Machu Picchu > Chichen Itza > Taj Mahal > Great Wall > Colosseum > Christ the Redeemer

What really needs to go there (just off the top of me head):
Angkor Wat, Borobudur, Terracotta Warriors, Hagia Sofia, Ephesus, Acropolis, Alhambra, Teotihuacan, St. Basil's

Last edited by CivicBlues; 03-03-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:29 PM   #17
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
Budapest was amazing.. its a city without the overwhelming tourist pressure that most of europe has (yet)

Outside of St.Petersburg Hungary is as far east as ive been but im longing to check out Bulgaria, Romania, etc.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:20 PM   #18
MiX iT Up!

Do you guys do organized tours for these eastern euro trips?
Will be going with the Mrs. so safety is of concern.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:05 PM   #19
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,490 Times in 1,688 Posts
-highly recommend going to Budapest, Hungary and Prague in the Czech Republic. Prague has a vibrant arts scene with buskers in the public square called Wenceslas Square. If you like art, check out the Bohemian crystal in the shops there. -really expensive crystal though.

As for Budapest, I recommend booking a river boat tour of the Danube at the night to see the Hungarian parliament building and beautiful lights. When pigeons fly over the parliament building with the floodlights shining on the birds, it is a magical sight. These tours include a buffet dinner and your choice of one beer or champagne. I went with family in October 2014 to Austria, Italy, Greece, Italy, Croatia, Czech Republic, and Hungary over three weeks.

What a trip! Here are pics of Budapest’s Parliament building, the Danube river, and Wenceslas Square in Prague.

There is also a Hungarian town named Esztergom near the Slovakian border which has a beautiful Catholic Church.

If you like the outdoors, I also recommend a visit to the Plitvice Lakes national park in Croatia. You can do a two hour hike there followed by a lake tour on boats to visit all 16 lakes. The green, blue, and grey coloured lakes from the calcium deposit lake beds make pictures look really nice.

Schweizerhaus in Vienna is a great beer garden next to an amusement park.

Czech and Croatian girls are hot too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2019, 12:05 AM   #20
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
tours are fine if you don't know how to use the internet or you dont want to trip plan

you certainly dont need it in the cities for safety

just use some wits and be aware of pick-pocketing
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:35 AM   #21

The more touristy a place the more likely there to be pickpockets etc. I’ve never used a money belt or anything like that and have never had a problem keeping wallet and phone in my front pockets and a backpack with the rest of my daily stuff.

For me the times of traveling around with a DSLR are done. I MIGHT bring a small point and shoot camera but for me the iPhone camera is more than adequate for memories. I prefer to soak in the scenery and enjoy it while I’m there as opposed to taking a million pictures

Budapest is really easy to get around and google maps etc actually tell you exactly where to go, which platform to use when using the metro, which car to get on etc. Data in some form on your phone is an absolute must for self-guided city travel.

Personally for me Prague was OK but may have been my least favorite city of my recent trip as the tourist pressure there is as bad as it gets. From Budapest I’d probably go to Croatia or further east as opposed to coming west.

Slovakia/Bratislava can be missed, and Vienna is a two day trip at most. Vienna is boring af unless you’re enthralled by museums and churches etc. The Klimt’s are the only reason why I’d ever bring anyone back there because they are truly breathtaking. But for me, I’ve gotten my lifetime fill of churches and “grand” buildings and have little desire to wait in lines or spend hours trudging through halls of some grand old estate.

Wherever you end up going you have to weigh travel time between cities. Most city centers have a main train station within walking distance or a short metro right whereas the airport is usually 30 min to 1 hour outside. Personally I prefer staying on the ground in between cities as opposed to getting back on s plane, but sometimes the time savings are impossible to ignore. However, a 5-6 hour train ride usually isn’t as bad as it sounds.

One of the things you absolutely have to do if you go to Budapest is go to the Szécheny baths. Even if you feel u formcortavle wirh the thought of think it’s not for you, you absolutely must go. The baths were maybe the highlight of our entire 4 week trip, both my wife and I loved them and we actually went and found 2 more thermal baths around Budapest as well:

Last edited by Hondaracer; 03-05-2019 at 06:45 AM.
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2019, 03:51 PM   #22
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
Do you guys do organized tours for these eastern euro trips?
Will be going with the Mrs. so safety is of concern.
Lol dude, how many times do we have to tell you there's no safety issues with Europe (yes even Eastern Europe). What exactly are you scared of happening?

Europe is like Easy Mode for travellers (Maybe not as easy as North America or All Inclusives, that's more like Training Mode)

This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2019, 09:11 PM   #23
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,343 Times in 971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Lol dude, how many times do we have to tell you there's no safety issues with Europe (yes even Eastern Europe). What exactly are you scared of happening?

Europe is like Easy Mode for travellers (Maybe not as easy as North America or All Inclusives, that's more like Training Mode)
i will give tiger the BENEFIT of the doubt, most of the time, its not the dude, it's the wife / gf/ sign other who are not as adventurous.

i traveled to europe once and my gf was scared as fuck to stay in the air b n b apartment herself (we had the whole apartment). Again, some are not as educated as well as "my mom and dad kept telling me blah blah blah etc".

high # of people say to be careful of pick pocket in china / barcelona / hong kong... never had an issue.. yet my mom still wears her purse in the front when she's walking around Richmond....
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:50 PM   #24

My wife is scared shitless to travel on her own, but when she's with me we are good. Maybe you just need to convince her to be confident in your ability to protect your family. Funny thing is, we got attempted robbery on us within 5 minutes of getting off the bus on our very first trip to China She saved her own ass by holding onto the purse tight enough that the guy couldn't get it from her.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:42 AM   #25

People on vacation tend to make themselves a target