REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-06-2019, 05:14 PM   #26
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
2019 Tuscon doesnt have the turbo but the Santa Fe doesn.. Hyundai cars comes equipped pretty well too...
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2019, 08:04 PM   #27
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Two kids, i'd say minivan. I tjought i was fine with the Rav4 but when i switched to the Sienna, it was so much more convenient. Plus now, my kids can just get in themselves cause of the slidjng doors as opposed to worrying about them opening the door too wide and hitting the car beside.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2019, 08:39 PM   #28
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Another vote for the minivan. In terms of convenience and space, there is absolutely nothing that can beat it.

I would be a bit weary of the 3rd and 4th gen Odyssey though. I continue to read / hear people running into transmission issues with them, including one incident where a friend's 4th gen Odyssey had the transmission seizing up when the vehicle was only 1 or 2 yrs news. Honda took care of the repairs under warranty, but the incident still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

The 5th (and current) gen seems to get good reviews with the 10 speed AT, but it only comes in the top trim level (at least for now).
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:17 AM   #29
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
if you are planning for #2, might as well just grab a minivan now and save yourself the hassle down the road.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:02 PM   #30
GC8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,146 Times in 121 Posts
just ordered a 2019 Rav4 Hybrid, doesnt look like you are heading that direction but if you do its atleast a 3 months wait factory order
GC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:35 PM   #31
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
BMW M3

doesnt fit? doesnt need to come with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2019, 07:14 PM   #32
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHatta View Post
1. Cargo Space
2. Driving Dynamics and Cabin Noise
3. Fuel Efficiency
4. Off-Road Capability
5. Tech
Honda Passport has it all, sans fuel efficiency

or if you want import an AWD Toyota Alphard Hybrid (i think there is such option)
vyrospec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:37 PM   #33
JqC
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

J100% get a minivan if you have more than 1 kid. You won't regret it. We have 2 toddlers now and bought our Sienna SE soon after the 2nd was born.
Some highlights and favourite parts of the year since we bought ours.

1) Ikea shopping. Soooo much easier with a minivan.
2) We've saved on delivery fees on stuff that was too big for an SUV, but not a minivan. Recent example was a new chest freezer. No chance in an SUV - cargo opening simple isn't big enough. Piece of cake for a van.
3) We had tons of family from Asia over at once for an extended visit. Rear seats down we packed our cargo area to the roof with suitcases. Without the van, we would've needed multiple trips or taxis. Plus, I didn't have to drive chatty relatives.
4) Many day/weekend trips with grandparents and an aunt. All 7 seats utilized, no need for 2nd vehicle.
5) Going somewhere with limited parking? If you can leave one more car at home, that's one less parking spot to fight over.
6) If you have two screaming little shits, one in each arm, plus a diaper bag over your shoulder, the last thing you want to do is worry about carefully opening a door to avoid hitting the car next to you. Press button, door opens, toss those demons in there, press button to close door, then walk away for a smoke while the wife takes over.
7) No one tries to street race you. Pretty sure it's more embarrassing to try to race a minivan, than it is to drive one.
8) Our model is equipped with a rear entertainment screen. We turn it on if we're strung out and just need some quiet time.
9) If the screen still doesn't quiet them down, you can start driving with the rear doors open and threaten to toss them out of a rolling van. On an SUV, the forward momentum would just slam the doors shut. Not nearly the same effect.
10) Kid screaming cause he dropped his toy? Much easier in a minivan for the front seat passenger to climb back there over the centre console and grab it.
11) There are times we end up having 2 or 3 other kids in the van. They say the stupidest shit but it's all adorable. Lots of awwwww moments when kids that age ride together.
12) Last year buddies and I took the Sienna to Portland for the weekend. 5 or 6 dudes commuting for hours in a spacious as hell minivan? Good times. (Some gay ones too).

If you're driving around town with kids, what 'street cred' are you trying to save by going with a 'cooler' looking SUV. That's what 2nd and 3rd cars are for lol.
After our 2nd was born ,we went a few months with a 2 row SUV as our main vehicle. We tried our best to resist the minivan stage as well, but soon came to our senses. Kids are already a pain in the ass as it is, go with the vehicle that makes your life easier.
JqC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:21 AM   #34
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JqC View Post
7) No one tries to street race you. Pretty sure it's more embarrassing to try to race a minivan, than it is to drive one.
wellll......

Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-08-2019, 10:05 AM   #35
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JqC View Post
J100% get a minivan if you have more than 1 kid. You won't regret it. We have 2 toddlers now and bought our Sienna SE soon after the 2nd was born.
Some highlights and favourite parts of the year since we bought ours.
Spoiler!
I can definitely reflect on this 1000%

Ikea shopping is such a piece of cake, with the bigger cargo space and lower ride height, it's almost a one person one stop shop.

I've hauled stuff ranging from tall chest drawers to stove top ranges.

I asked a friend to drive my Odyssey to pick me and my family up at the airport. With a bit of Tetris logic, manage to pack in 3 adults, 2 toddlers, 1 baby, 6 full sized luggages, and 2 strollers with ease.

Family priorities first, do it right the first time and get a minivan, a SUV can come later down the road as a 2nd vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:05 PM   #36
I don't get it

I'd recommend a minivan if having 2 kids. Trunk space and convenience is going to be the luxury you're going to need.

CX-5 would be my choice for CUV
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:13 PM   #37
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
My vote goes for minivan as well. All my friends are getting CUVs and mid-size SUVs as they're starting families but I'm always nudging them to get minivans.
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:34 PM   #38
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

For a CUV, I personally think the CX-5 is probably the best value in terms of driving dynamics and interior. It is on the smaller side compared to the CRV or RAV4 though.

If you're planning to have a 2nd kid as well, make sure there's enough space both in the cabin and trunk. Otherwise, a minivan would be the best choice as it has plenty of room to haul people and stuff in the back.
Timbits93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:00 PM   #39
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
I love minivans, grew up on a Plymouth Voyager with the wood panels and all but there's a big diff between a compact crossover and a minivan. It's a good 18-20 inches longer and few inches wider and those inches do make navigating parking lots trickier.

My wife is barely comfortable with the sightlines on a CRV or RDX so a minivan is very unwieldy for her.

If only they still made the smaller size of minivan - some around 185-190 inches, a jumbo Mazda 5 basically. A 2L turbo motor and a 3rd big enough for Asian sized in-laws. I'd totally buy something that size over a compact crossover.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:51 PM   #40
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC8 View Post
just ordered a 2019 Rav4 Hybrid, doesnt look like you are heading that direction but if you do its atleast a 3 months wait factory order
Were you able to get any kind of discount? I'm thinking of getting one vs some of the others discussed here.
sleepywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:00 PM   #41
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Right now we have the NX and it's a PITA to load just 1 kid with stroller and groceries. Will get a mini van when we have our 2nd.
fishCak3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:33 AM   #42
I am Hook'd on RS

Just bought a 2019 Odyssey and love it as we just had our first child last fall. Went for the base LX with a roof rack and hitch and was great this winter travelling to see the grandparents and shuttling family to the airport and back.

I hate to say it but do wish I went for the EX that comes with the built-in sunshades and vacuum though. Could have used them so many times already.

Would have to say go with a minivan for when your kids a little and move to an SUV after. There is so much crap we take everywhere and having the extra room is amazing. Test drove the Pilot, Highlander and the new VW.
stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:50 AM   #43
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Minivans generally get you better fuel consumption than SUVs as well, and due to the lower centre of gravity it SHOULD handle better.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:27 AM   #44
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepywheel View Post
Were you able to get any kind of discount? I'm thinking of getting one vs some of the others discussed here.
Toyota in BC does not negotiate...well, at least they didn't before. Don't know if that changed, although I did get a good deal on my Sienna.

Also, with a 3 month wait to get the new Rav4 Hybrid, I doubt they'd give you any discount.

Usually, they'll give you a discount if it's a vehicle that's physically on their lot vs one that they don't have yet.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:39 AM   #45
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I have a 2017 Forester XT and I would recommend the mini-van if you're thinking of two kids.

The thing with the CX5, Rav4 and CRV are they're all compact SUV's. You can probably get away with 1 kid, but with 2 it's hard to argue that it'll be more practical and convenient than a minivan.

Even if you were shopping for a compact SUV primarily, I wouldn't recommend the Forester even though I love mine. Interior quality and materials are still leagues ahead in the CX5 and Rav4 along with more features.

I basically went with a Forester as I live where there's snow almost 6 months of the year plus I wanted a bit of go-fast fun which you can also get with the CX5 now.
ak1to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:51 AM   #46
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,067 Times in 1,252 Posts
wagon

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2019, 09:51 AM   #47
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
All this minivan talk is once again making me wish we have something smaller than a Sienna / Odyssey. In Asia, there is the Toyota Sienta and Honda Stepwgn among others. They are infinitely more practical than small / midsize SUVs, but no N.American consumers have to go big or go SUV.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:31 AM   #48
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
$2000 rebate on Odysseys this month
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:53 AM   #49
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,184 Times in 358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_woo View Post
Toyota in BC does not negotiate...well, at least they didn't before. Don't know if that changed, although I did get a good deal on my Sienna.

Also, with a 3 month wait to get the new Rav4 Hybrid, I doubt they'd give you any discount.

Usually, they'll give you a discount if it's a vehicle that's physically on their lot vs one that they don't have yet.
If we're thinking of the same thing, the no haggle programmed called Access Toyota was killed quite a while ago :https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...rticle1000818/

Recently... I negotiated 2500 off a Camry XSE V6 (opened with this offer at Open Road, accepted), and got 900 off a RAV4 LE FWD (this was Open Road's initial offer)
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 12:15 PM   #50
I bringith the lowerballerith

We went for a Honda Odyssey in 2014. We wanted leather because kids are messy as hell, but didn't want a sunroof and didn't need the navigation or entertainment set-up. We got the EX and then the dealership had Katzkin leather put on all the seats for $1800 (much cheaper than moving up $7000 for the EX-L). We went with Vancouver Honda and they tried to have us pay $2500 for the Katzkin, but they slipped that it only cost them $1800 to have the shop they contracted to have the seat covers put on. We love the quality of the leather and the easy clean-ups.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: