REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:17 PM   #1
I don't get it

5g Live in vancouver now

Huawei announces 5G trial in Vancouver « EMR Health Alliance of BC
Huawei announces 5G trial in Vancouver

Huawei has announced attaining single-user speeds of 2Gbps during trials of 5G customer premises equipment with Telus in Vancouver, using mmWave spectrum, Massive MIMO, F-OFDM, and polar coding.

By Corinne Reichert | February 15, 2018

Chinese networking giant Huawei has unveiled an urban trial of 5G wireless-to-the-home (WttX) customer premises equipment (CPE) in Vancouver in partnership with Canadian carrier Telus.

The trials, which began in early December, are taking place in Huawei and Telus’ 5G Living Lab and in the homes of Vancouver-based Telus staffers, using global 3GPP 5G standards as well as 28GHz millimetre-wave (mmWave) spectrum with 800MHz of bandwidth.

According to Huawei, the companies have attained download speeds of more than 2Gbps for single users.

The trials utilise 5G gNodeB elements in the lab, along with Massive Multiple-Input Multiple-Output (Massive MIMO), filtered orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (F-OFDM), and the polar-coding mechanism.

“This trial represents continued progress toward the launch of 5G; as we start to replicate both the in-home experience and network footprint, we will see when 5G becomes commercially available in the near future,” Telus CTO Ibrahim Gedeon said.

“Wireless 5G services will generate tremendous benefits for consumers, operators, governments, and more through the use of advanced IoT devices, big data applications, smart city systems, and other technologies of the future.”

Huawei said its FttX solutions will decrease 5G costs for operators and increase 5G accessibility for customers by providing a last-mile alternative to fibre to the premises.

mmWave technology will be an important tool in ensuring widespread deployment of 5G technology in Canada,” Huawei Wireless CTO Dr Wen Tong said.

“Huawei’s 5G solutions and terminals will enable 5G coverage over a neighbourhood or small community cost effectively, while providing more convenient and high-speed home broadband internet access services.”

Following the standardisation of 5G NR specs in December, Huawei — along with Ericsson, Intel, Nokia, Samsung, AT&T, BT, China Mobile, China Telecom, China Unicom, Deutsche Telekom, Fujitsu, KT Corporation, LG Electronics, LG Uplus, MediaTek, NEC Corporation, NTT DoCoMo, Orange, Qualcomm, SK Telecom, Sony Mobile Communications, Sprint, TIM, Telefonica, Telia Company, T-Mobile USA, Verizon, Vodafone, and ZTE — announced the beginning of the full-scale development of 5G NR including large-scale trials and commercial deployment.

At the time, president of Huawei’s 5G product line Yang Chaobin said Phase 1 of the 3GPP 5G NR standardisation was completed “with great progress” thanks to collaboration between regulatory agencies, governments, research organisations, academia, and industry.

“Huawei will keep working with global partners to bring 5G into the period of large-scale global commercial deployment from 2018,” he said.

Huawei had similarly undertaken 5G field trials with LG U+ in Gangnam District, Seoul in November to verify technologies including IPTV 4K video, dual connectivity, and inter-cell handover.

Calling it the world’s first widescale 5G network test using a pre-commercial testing environment, the companies used a 5G “tour bus” to deliver 5G 4K IPTV, and used a virtual reality (VR) drone to demonstrate data rates of between 20Mbps and 100Mbps at the LG U+ headquarters.

Huawei also combined 5G CPE with the VR drone to demonstrate throughput of 1.5Gbps from 100m in altitude using the 3.5GHz spectrum band.

Huawei used both 3.5GHz and 28GHz base stations during the trials, attaining average speeds of 1Gbps on the low band and 5Gbps using dual connectivity across both the high and low bands.

In October, Huawei and LG U+ had announced completing dual-connectivity technology verification during a 5G trial in Seoul, providing 20Gbps downlink speeds by simultaneously linking two 5G base stations; while in November, Huawei additionally demonstrated separate uplink-downlink (UL/DL) decoupling technology across a 5G-LTE network deployment in London as part of its strategic partnership with BT and EE.

The EE trial network includes 5G New Radio (5G NR) and LTE co-site deployments, separating UL/DL onto different bands. According to Huawei, this improves coverage and capacity across the C-band by using 4G bands to carry 5G uplink data.

Huawei has been trialling 5G with carriers worldwide, in January last year attaining speeds of around 35Gbps with Singaporean telcos StarHub and M1.

Huawei is likewise helping Australian provider Optus roll out its 5G network for 2019, and is on the Australian government’s 5G working group.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/huawei-...tag=RSSbaffb68

Huawei and Telus test fixed 5G in homes, paving way for Canadian rollout
JEREMY HORWITZ@HORWITZ FEBRUARY 14, 2018 7:05 AM

Facing restrictions in the United States due to national security concerns, China’s leading smartphone maker Huawei announced today that Canadian carrier Telus is live-testing Huawei 5G equipment in Vancouver homes. The companies’ in-home testing is said to be the first of its kind in North America, bringing 5G from the “lab to the living room” and setting the stage for a future commercial launch of fixed 5G service in Canada.

According to Huawei, the tests are based on new wireless Customer Premise Equipment (CPE), giving users a “fiber-like experience with their home network.” The CPE relies on 28GHz mmWave frequency broadcasting, next-generation signaling technologies, and Massive MIMO antennas to deliver over 2Gbps speeds. Huawei expects that mmWave technology will enable cost-effective 5G coverage in neighborhoods and small communities, increasing accessibility for urban and suburban customers.

The race to quickly deploy “fixed 5G” — in-home or in-business wireless service as a replacement for wired broadband — is now a two-country competition in North America. Verizon has announced plans to bring fixed 5G service to several U.S. cities this year, beginning with proprietary, non-standards compliant 5G hardware. By comparison, Huawei says its CPE hardware complies with 3GPP’s global 5G standard, though its footprint is currently limited to Telus employees and is not on the same city-wide scale as Verizon’s 2018 rollout. Telus has previously said that it expects 5G to be commercially available in 2020, with Vancouver residents getting “early access” to some 5G technologies.

Huawei’s announcement comes as U.S. carriers and consumers are being actively warned by government agencies to avoid using Huawei cellular hardware based on security fears. Last month, members of Congress pushed carriers, including AT&T, to cut business ties with Huawei, and yesterday six U.S. intelligence agencies told citizens not to use Huawei phones. Each of the Chinese manufacturers is said to have covert ties to China’s government, allegedly putting the security of data transmitted through their mobile devices and networking gear at risk. As 5G is expected to be used in everything from autonomous cars and traffic systems to manufacturing plants and city infrastructures, the security threats posed by foreign governments could quickly go from abstract to tangible and major.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/02/14/h...adian-rollout/

Huawei consortium reaches 3Gb/s record in Turin 5G trial

15 Feb 2018 | Network News

In the latest tests held in Turin, 5G reaches the record speed of 3Gb/s and it is ready to change the concept of urban mobile connection.

After the kick off on November 8th 2017, TIM-Fastweb-Huawei consortium that won the 5G trial in Bari and Matera called by the Ministry of Economic Development (MISE) on the 3.6-3.8 GHz spectrum frequencies foreseen by the announcement, marks a new important milestone.

Speed of connection, latency and efficiency in the use of the spectrum were the indicators object of the test of the first data connection, tested on a Network chain end to end 5G including the terminal, the new Radio access and the Core Network.

A net throughput of over 3Gb/s has been achieved, considering only 100 MHz of bandwidth used: an important result, in line with the latest version of the 3GPP standard, approved last December. Reaching a spectral efficiency of (30 b/s)/Hz, about 7 times compared to the more advanced 4G technology, the cost per bit is thus drastically reduced.

The tests were carried out in Turin laboratory. Each bit took an end-to-end crossing time of the network chain (latency) of only 2.6 milliseconds, about 10 times less than a bit is used to take in the most advanced LTE technology.

The positive outcome of the first data connection sets the stage for the first site to be switched on in the coming weeks.

This release was first published 11 February 2018 by Huawei.
Advertisement
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2019, 05:59 PM   #2
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
blah... just uses up my 5GB data faster... I should just switch back to 3G only..
Old 04-19-2019, 06:12 PM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,743 Times in 3,864 Posts
TL;DR. Anyone wanna coles notes it
Old 04-19-2019, 06:35 PM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,732 Times in 1,168 Posts
In before the federal gov't announces that they are banning Huawei from 5G infrastructure.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:35 PM   #5
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,031 Times in 2,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
5g Live in vancouver now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:19 PM   #6
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,147 Times in 387 Posts
No big deal. Doesn't matter to anyone until consumer hardware with 5G radios are available.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:46 PM   #7
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,355 Times in 3,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoyan View Post
No big deal. Doesn't matter to anyone until consumer hardware with 5G radios are available.
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/5g-phon...ews-29292.html

5G is not just for mobile use. You could use it for your whole house. When you move to a new place all you have to do is plug in your modem. Going on a road trip plug the modem in your car and then take it to your hotel room.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:07 AM   #8
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,775 Times in 8,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Basically "mobile internet" will no longer exist as a seperate thing from "the internet". Instead "the internet" will just be everywhere.

This is the first step to either a utopian society, or the opposite. You decide which you think will happen...
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2019, 03:01 AM   #9
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,438 Times in 1,436 Posts
I get 20Mbps down /30-50Mbps up in avg from a 4g router in Hong Kong. I wonder if 5g will give me 100Mbps stable or so.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 05:13 AM   #10
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

It's not really about just the speed but the latency. Think of internet of things like connected cars, remote surgeries etc.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:07 AM   #11
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Basically "mobile internet" will no longer exist as a seperate thing from "the internet". Instead "the internet" will just be everywhere.

This is the first step to either a utopian society, or the opposite. You decide which you think will happen...
I say is the later part.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:49 AM   #12
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Hoo-ah-way.
One month later:
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-33 View Post
THE GUY IN THE RED SHIRT throwing the newspaper stand into the window IS INDY BHANGU FROM SURREY.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:53 AM   #13
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
let me guess....are we stuck with limited data plans like 6gb for 70 dollars that would get eatten alive on youtube in 3 hours on HD setting?.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:51 PM   #14
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,219 Times in 1,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
let me guess....are we stuck with limited data plans like 6gb for 70 dollars that would get eatten alive on youtube in 3 hours on HD setting?.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:48 PM   #15
I subscribe to Revscene

B.C. local

How To 5G Proof YOUR HOUSE!!! This Is Next Level EMF PROTECTION!

Quote:
A global 5G wifi system is currently being rolled out all across the planet and some people are now taking extra measures to protect themselves and their families! The United Nations is implementing agenda 2030, our “smart homes” and “smart appliances” are being connected to a network known as The Internet Of Things and 5G is the spider webbed mesh that is going to hold it all together! In this video Dan Dicks of Press For Truth speaks with emf expert Ross Anderson and also Curtis Stone aka The Urban Farmer about 5G, radiation levels in the home and most importantly what you can do about it to shield yourself and your loved ones from this Orwellian nightmare that is currently being built all around us.
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote