REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-23-2021, 01:45 PM   #26
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Finally:

https://www.citynews1130.com/2021/03...tro-vancouver/

IMO, it's kind of stupid that there is a minimum age requirement of 16. IMO, the suitability of riding should depend on the ability and maturity of the person (ie. child), and that is best left to the discretion of the parents. (OK, that is actually a recipe for disaster since there are tons of parents that don't know any better, but I digress...) But other than that, I am so glad this is finally happening.

We still need to see when (as in, starting date) the program will start. Hopefully it'll be soon.
After this past weekend, I am against this. Governments are so dumb.
There are "kick scooters" that can do 50+ km/h. They should be treated like regular vehicles/motorcycles.

I was turning left and was t-boned by a Kingsway hipster riding one of these more powerful "kick scooters" and the damage to my car looks like i was hit by a car.

This isn't the top model and can do 45 km/h. That's as fast as my old YSR50.
https://north49brands.com/product/20...ctric-scooter/
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2021, 02:20 PM   #27
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Curious how compensation worked out in that incident considering the guy has no insurance.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2021, 02:35 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Curious how compensation worked out in that incident considering the guy has no insurance.
Still waiting for ICBC to decide. I really don't know.
But then again I don't think it is any different than when a cyclist hits a car.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 03-23-2021, 02:47 PM   #29
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
After this past weekend, I am against this. Governments are so dumb.
There are "kick scooters" that can do 50+ km/h. They should be treated like regular vehicles/motorcycles.

I was turning left and was t-boned by a Kingsway hipster riding one of these more powerful "kick scooters" and the damage to my car looks like i was hit by a car.

This isn't the top model and can do 45 km/h. That's as fast as my old YSR50.
https://north49brands.com/product/20...ctric-scooter/
Sorry to hear about you getting crashed into. I hope it didn't happen to one of your more special cars.

E-bikes are supposedly limited to 32km/h on level ground, and given how e-scooters are expected to follow many of the same e-bike rules, my guess is that the same 32km/h speed limit would apply as well. (BTW, there are high powered ones that can do 60km/h+. Personally, I'd be too freaked out to ride a e-scooter like that without proper protection and in a controlled environment.)

I hate cyclists that ride like entitled brats, and I'm sure I'll hate e-scooterists that ride like douchebags as well. But just because I hate these idiots doesn't mean I hate cyclists or riders in general, nor do I hate bicycles or e-scooters.

It's all about responsibility. Unfortunately, not everybody has that, but that's how most things are.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 04:59 PM   #30
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,187 Times in 360 Posts
The Lime e-scooters I've ridden are pretty slow up hills.
The brakes are also really sketchy and they develop some pretty massive play in the steering if ridden in bumpy areas.

Likelihood of me riding one:
Richmond Railway Greenway: 7/10
Arbutus Greenway: 2/10; a bit too chaotic for the brakes on those things
North Vancouver (no offense to Bowinn): You couldn't pay me to ride one down a hill there, inb4 a massive concussion

Past:
- '09 Ducati Monster 696 "Ketchup"
- '20 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7
- '20 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '19 Toyota Camry LE
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6

Last edited by AstulzerRZD; 03-23-2021 at 07:09 PM.
AstulzerRZD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:42 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstulzerRZD View Post
The Lime e-scooters I've ridden are pretty slow up hills.
The brakes are also really sketchy and they develop some pretty massive play in the steering if ridden in bumpy areas.
Based on what seems to have happened in a lot of US states, I wouldn't want to ride a "shared" scooter either.

While the government announcement didn't clearly indicate what the e-scooter plans are, I'd be very surprised if privately owned e-scooters are not allowed for us in those 4 pilot cities. It'd be totally pointless if only e-scooter sharing programs are allowed.
Old 03-24-2021, 03:19 AM   #32
I bringith the lowerballerith

I've walked around False creek seawall many times. Been seeing a lot more ppl using PEV. Haven't seen ppl ride or drive dangerously. Like anything I am sure there are some ass hats out there that will. The shared scooters are garbage. They are slow, and they usually have only a single front brake. I rather just buy my own Xiaomi Pro or Ninebot Max.
teggy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:54 AM   #33
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,003 Times in 1,908 Posts
Kinda dangerous ... they are so quiet and at the speed it moves, can sneak up on you as a pedestrian real fast, before you know it, rider is zooming right by you. I see a lot of collisions this summer on Arbutus Greenway, Seaside, etc.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:43 AM   #34
I don't get it

I've seen a couple in the west end zooming around cars and ignoring traffic lights. Traffic wasn't busy, but it reminds of douchey cyclists.
ssjGoku69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:49 AM   #35

Guess technically, these should be on the bike side of those walkways like Arbutus, Seaside but you all know that they whiz in and out of them. I hate that douchey cyclists and these scooter will use whatever path to their advantage. Oh .. lots of bikes at the light, let's hop onto the sidewalk to bypass them. Like those f'kn Fantaun electric bike delivery guys ...
Old 03-24-2021, 09:24 AM   #36
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Guess technically, these should be on the bike side of those walkways like Arbutus, Seaside but you all know that they whiz in and out of them. I hate that douchey cyclists and these scooter will use whatever path to their advantage. Oh .. lots of bikes at the light, let's hop onto the sidewalk to bypass them. Like those f'kn Fantaun electric bike delivery guys ...
What's worse is I believe you can opt to rent those scooters for the day so there is even less of a sense of "responsibility" to operate them safely and to the "Rules of the Road"
Qmx323 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 01:48 PM   #37

From the news articles that I've read, it seems to me that CoV is not looking into having any company do e-scooter ride shares for their test pilot, so it'll only be private e-scooter owners riding around. At least one of the North Shore municipalities -- I forgot which one(s) -- is looking to have ride share companies with the test pilot project.

From the various comments that I've read, e-scooter ride shares programs seem to result in douchebag renters dumping scooters all over the place on, esp on the sidewalk, and making a mess of the city streets. So personally, I'm glad that CoV has no plans to invite that kind of trouble onto itself.

On a different topic, I'm looking into how much power you'd need to sensibly ride around in Vancouver. I'm guessing that riding uphill from Marine would be a pipe dream for all but the most expensive (and heavy) e-scooters. Would any owners / riders care to comment on how much power (wattage) your e-scooter have, and how steep a hill you'd be able to take, even if it was only at walking speed?
Old 03-24-2021, 02:26 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
On a different topic, I'm looking into how much power you'd need to sensibly ride around in Vancouver. I'm guessing that riding uphill from Marine would be a pipe dream for all but the most expensive (and heavy) e-scooters. Would any owners / riders care to comment on how much power (wattage) your e-scooter have, and how steep a hill you'd be able to take, even if it was only at walking speed?
I rode Jack's Xiaomi around Coquitlam and Packwood. 24/25 km/h top speed.
But some of these newer ones are going to be faster. No idea how fast it would be going up hill but it did struggle going up some of the longer ramps.

Issue I have is the city is treating them like the first gens that only went up to 16-20 km/h. Some of the new ones that goes faster really need to be treated at the very least like a low CC moped/scooter. Class 5/7 DL and needs insurance.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2021, 03:10 PM   #39
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
The Xiaomi only has a 250 watt motor. Depending on weight you need 450 watts or more to go up hills from what I have seen in reviews.

This bad boy should have no problems going up any hills. 2 1000 watt motors. $1699 Canadian.

https://kaabo.ca/product/kaabo-manti...ctric-scooter/
Old 03-24-2021, 09:46 PM   #40
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
jesus i had no idea these were 2k$
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:28 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
jesus i had no idea these were 2k$
Anything under $1000 is entry level. $1500-3000 gets you a pretty decent E scoot. If you want the "Ferraris" of E scoot, then go check out Dualtron. They are around $5000-10000.

But still nothing compares to E bikes. A good quality E bike like Stromer or OHM start around $6000+

If you love full suspension Specialized Turbo Levo start around $15 grand. lol
Old 03-27-2021, 08:14 AM   #42
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
I bought one of these recently: https://motorino.ca/sur-ron-lb-x/. Pretty fun for what it is but I feel like I should have bought a legit pedal-assist bike like the Kenevo.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2021, 11:40 AM   #43
Rs has made me the man i am today!

The dualtron x2 and the storm looks pretty cool and fast.
Where can you pick one up locally?
-"--"-
Doubl3_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 04:57 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubl3_H View Post
The dualtron x2 and the storm looks pretty cool and fast.
Where can you pick one up locally?
EbikeBC in Vancouver
RidetheGlide in Victoria

They both have the line up of Dualtron with prices.
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-28-2021, 05:54 PM   #45
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
I bought one of these recently: https://motorino.ca/sur-ron-lb-x/. Pretty fun for what it is but I feel like I should have bought a legit pedal-assist bike like the Kenevo.
Those are badass. There are lots of mods you can do to make it even faster.

over 85 mph

Old 03-29-2021, 12:24 PM   #46
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Those are badass. There are lots of mods you can do to make it even faster.

over 85 mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4-kY7AaZ9Q
Cool that a lot of mtn bike parts transfer over. And the power controllers and bigger batteries, sheesh; talk about widow makers. Lol.

The issue is legality here. You can't really take them anywhere that would be suitable mountain bike terrain as you'll get chased out. And they are not road legal.

Last year no one knew what they were so anybody that stopped us would be more curious than "Karen" about it. Now they have blown up (thanks Justin Bieber ) and everyone that has a pedal assist bike hates on them because they have a throttle control and will eat up trails. Debating putting trials tires on mine so Squamish is a bit more inviting.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:03 PM   #47
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Not a scooter but I figured this would be the best thread

So out of pure curiosity I picked up the “jetson bolt pro” e-bike from Costco. Only $379, 15mph top speed and 15mile range (throttle only iirc, longer if you pedal assist). Just booted around the block last night after assembly and it did put a grin on my face.

Apparently can be turned up to the 19mph through the jetson app. Not sure if I’ll keep it or give it to my mum, but I’m tempted to make my friends buy them too just for shits and giggles

Edit: it feels normal to ride, you don’t really notice the smallness of it. Will be great for the pits at track days

Old 04-22-2021, 07:27 PM   #48

Yesterday, I saw someone riding a motorized scooter with a child in the front ... in Richmond of course ... and yes, they were Asian.
Old 04-23-2021, 07:24 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Not a scooter but I figured this would be the best thread

So out of pure curiosity I picked up the “jetson bolt pro” e-bike from Costco. Only $379, 15mph top speed and 15mile range (throttle only iirc, longer if you pedal assist). Just booted around the block last night after assembly and it did put a grin on my face.

Apparently can be turned up to the 19mph through the jetson app. Not sure if I’ll keep it or give it to my mum, but I’m tempted to make my friends buy them too just for shits and giggles

Edit: it feels normal to ride, you don’t really notice the smallness of it. Will be great for the pits at track days

There's a thread on this bike on RFD.
People are modding it with a bigger battery, second battery.

I'm actually tempted to get one as that $389 price can't be beat.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2021, 08:24 AM   #50
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
There's a thread on this bike on RFD.
People are modding it with a bigger battery, second battery.

I'm actually tempted to get one as that $389 price can't be beat.
I'm also watching the RFD thread

Only issue is beating the hoarders when it comes to stock and availability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote